Scabies Free

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Hi everybody, I have never posted on this site before but read a lot of stuff here during my bout with scabies.

I am happy to announce that I have been scabies-free for 8 weeks. I just wanted to share a couple of thoughts from a sane, rational person for those of you who are looking to beat this thing without driving yourself insane.

(1) First off, scabies is NOT as terrible as most of the people on this site make it sound. You can really drive yourself crazy reading all of the horror stories on here. If you have had scabies for 3 years, or tried moving to a new zip code just to get away from them , chances are you have something more serious than scabies (both physically and mentally).

(2) The MOST IMPORTANT step to beating scabies is to go to your dermatologist or doctor and get diagnosed. For those who are too embarrassed or can't afford to, suck it up. There is not over-the-counter medication for scabies so you need a prescription.

(3) The Permethrin cream really does work, as long as you apply it properly: that means after a shower, allow your body 5-10 minutes to cool down and then use 1/2 a tube all over (especially between fingers, on soles of feet and between toes). If your doctor also prescribes an anti-itching cream for nighttime, don't be afraid to use that so as to not itch and irritate the affected areas. Before I was diagnosed, I would wake up 5 out of 7 nights a week with terrible itching. After I was given the creams, it didn't happen again.

(4) You don't need to turn your house inside-out trying to rid yourself of scabies. Just be sure to change your sheets, give the areas you spend the most time in a good vacuuming and place any affected clothes in a plastic bag for 3-5 days. These people who are sealing everything they own in frozen bags for a week and fleeing the country are insane! VERY IMPORTANT: be sure to change towels every day for the first week,

(5) After the 7th day, do not freak out at every minor itch and bump you see. Post-scabies is not nearly as terrifying as people make it sound. You might get a new bump here or there, but if it is not a row of red marks, you're fine.

Again, the best advice I can give you is to not read this site. Well, except for this post. But seriously, I worried myself sick over how to get rid of scabies when I was first diagnosed, and 95% of that worry stemmed from the stories on this website.

Just listen to your doctor, follow the steps and you'll be as good as new in 7 days! No need to try any crazy home remedies or waste hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars on treatment. All you need is a prescription, a washing machine and some patience.

Best of luck!
Vicar of Dibley

Birmingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Scabies Free wrote:
Hi everybody, I have never posted on this site before but read a lot of stuff here during my bout with scabies.
I am happy to announce that I have been scabies-free for 8 weeks. I just wanted to share a couple of thoughts from a sane, rational person for those of you who are looking to beat this thing without driving yourself insane.
(1) First off, scabies is NOT as terrible as most of the people on this site make it sound. You can really drive yourself crazy reading all of the horror stories on here. If you have had scabies for 3 years, or tried moving to a new zip code just to get away from them , chances are you have something more serious than scabies (both physically and mentally).
(2) The MOST IMPORTANT step to beating scabies is to go to your dermatologist or doctor and get diagnosed. For those who are too embarrassed or can't afford to, suck it up. There is not over-the-counter medication for scabies so you need a prescription.
(3) The Permethrin cream really does work, as long as you apply it properly: that means after a shower, allow your body 5-10 minutes to cool down and then use 1/2 a tube all over (especially between fingers, on soles of feet and between toes). If your doctor also prescribes an anti-itching cream for nighttime, don't be afraid to use that so as to not itch and irritate the affected areas. Before I was diagnosed, I would wake up 5 out of 7 nights a week with terrible itching. After I was given the creams, it didn't happen again.
(4) You don't need to turn your house inside-out trying to rid yourself of scabies. Just be sure to change your sheets, give the areas you spend the most time in a good vacuuming and place any affected clothes in a plastic bag for 3-5 days. These people who are sealing everything they own in frozen bags for a week and fleeing the country are insane! VERY IMPORTANT: be sure to change towels every day for the first week,
(5) After the 7th day, do not freak out at every minor itch and bump you see. Post-scabies is not nearly as terrifying as people make it sound. You might get a new bump here or there, but if it is not a row of red marks, you're fine.
Again, the best advice I can give you is to not read this site. Well, except for this post. But seriously, I worried myself sick over how to get rid of scabies when I was first diagnosed, and 95% of that worry stemmed from the stories on this website.
Just listen to your doctor, follow the steps and you'll be as good as new in 7 days! No need to try any crazy home remedies or waste hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars on treatment. All you need is a prescription, a washing machine and some patience.
Best of luck!
Sorry but not everyone is as lucky as you. I have used perm 3 times now with the requisite gaps in between. I am also changing bedding /towels /clothes after just one use. It is now 5 weeks on and , although there does seem to be a slight improvement, they are definitely still here.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Vicar of Dibley wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry but not everyone is as lucky as you. I have used perm 3 times now with the requisite gaps in between. I am also changing bedding /towels /clothes after just one use. It is now 5 weeks on and , although there does seem to be a slight improvement, they are definitely still here.
Yes, many of us have immune systems which don't seem to recognize the threat of the invader, and don't repel them as quickly as others.

Your immune system is doing half the work of ridding your body, and if perm cream is not working, then either you have resistant scabies or an immune system that isn't fighting it's end of the battle.

This is what I told my derm, and despite his skepticism, he got that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

158 Users are viewing the Scabies Forum right now

Search the Scabies Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Pin Prick & Crawling Sensations? Post Scabies T... (Apr '12) 2 hr MeHere 187
Albendazole (Valbazen) Curing Me (Oct '13) 3 hr FRED 1,174
Suicide because of Scabies? (Oct '09) 6 hr Worried 197
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 16 hr Ling 4,085
Natural cure for scabies (Feb '07) 17 hr Getting better 45
garlic --30 fresh cloves daily (Dec '11) 19 hr FRED 7
How did I get rid of scabies in three seconds (Oct '11) Wed norman robert hockley 439
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••