Ivermectin overdose
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
b itchy

Valley City, OH

#1 Feb 5, 2010
I used the 1% liquid Ivomec from the feed store. I mixed up mgs and mls and took 18 ml of Ivomec at about 10pm. I woke up at 2am and vomited several times. I was dizzy, could hardly see, and really sick. I threw up so many times in the next 12 hours. i really couldn't get out of bed. The plus side- i lived and no new bites in 1 week. My whole body was covered, my whole back crusted. i think I'm on the mend. I'm just a little worried about the long term effects of too much Ivo. I'm also torn between redosing (with a correct amount)to prevent new bites and not even being able to look at that bottle with out feeling a bit sick.
buggie

United States

#2 Feb 6, 2010
Itchygirl could tell you more.

I never used that kind. Why did you buy it? That's injectable? It is bad if it has a petroleum base...or if it has other ingredients including ivermectin.
Id say throw it out.
I never read any post here that recommended that brand.

I used apple flavored 1.87% ivermectin in a tube boxed with a pictue of a horse on it. I took it at night with some milk. Got an occasional slight headache if I took over a dose and a half but nothing worse.
It helped me a lot.

Consider switching to d.e. foodgrade 1 Tablespoon at night with liquid.
Hope you are feeling better.
buggie

United States

#3 Feb 6, 2010
B itchy,
I misunderstood. I thought you mixed like mixing a cake, when you said mixed up, meaning you confused the measurements and od'ed.
The apple flavored tube total is 6g for 1250 lbs. And the measurements go by your horseys weight so there's no chance of an unintentional overdose. 250lbs, 500lbs, 750 lbs, 1250 lbs.

If you are sure you can take iver again without overdosing then get the tube kind next time. Glad your back cleared up and you are still with us.
itchygirl

Youngstown, OH

#4 Feb 6, 2010
The injectable iver is chemically the same as the paste. It has a propylene glycol base, which is edible. It is often used by breeders orally for dogs, as it is easier to measure precise dosages. I am actually using it on my dogs now with fabulous results. I have used it on myself with similar results to the paste, but I now use the paste; it is cheaper.

Iver is metabolized by the liver. B ithcy, I would go to the health food store and pick up some supplements for liver support or liver cleansing. B vitamins and Milk thistle are commonly used for this.
I don't know what to tell you about redosing. I can tell you that according to the human and animal studies I have read, it is metabolized completely within a couple of days, with no long term effects, and there have been many cases of overdosing with no long term effects. Usually if death from overdosing occurs it happens shortly after ingesting a massive dose and is caused by respiratory depression. Research it further and decide for yourself whether redosing is an option for you.
buggie

United States

#5 Feb 6, 2010
Thanks itchygirl, you're so smart!

How do you give it to your dogs?
itchygirl

Youngstown, OH

#6 Feb 6, 2010
Welcome, Buggie! Not smart, just forced to educate myself.

You can either shoot it down their throats in a small syringe, or give it to them mixed with something good, like ice cream. I like the second method. Now the dogs get all excited when they see the iver bottle. A breeder who is also having bug problems suggested that I try the iver long term in small doses, which is what she is doing for her dogs. Similar dosing is used for dogs with demodex mange, and is often used for very long periods. I am planning on keeping them on it every summer. Everything topical that I have tried on the animals has failed. This makes sense; the one professional that I went to that was able to help me was the vet derm, and she told me that mites can isolate themselves in the animals' sinuses and survive topical treatments. Which would explain why I started getting relief once I started using iver. Life is looking up. I will post everything that has worked for me once all of my animals are cured and stay that way. I sleep well these days, and am not running into massive pockets of bugs like I was. I am just worried about what the summer will bring.

If anyone is interested in animal dosing, let me know. I have some good links.

How are you, buggie???
TSD

Vista, CA

#7 Feb 6, 2010
Sometimes the "inert" ingredients are more toxic than the insecticide. It takes a lot of Ivermectin to OD, but it is possible. I am wondering if you are reacting to the other ingredients, though.

For example, I am having great success with imidacloprid right now. However, the form it comes in for agricultural use has an "inert" carrier which is highly toxic to mammals, while the imid itself is not. It is available over the counter though in veterinary form.
itchygirl

Youngstown, OH

#8 Feb 6, 2010
I thought that Ivomec was only iver and propylene glycol, but looking at the ingredients it contains about 40% glycerol formal, which is supposed to be toxic when ingested. Apparently it doesn't hurt cows, and my dogs are fine with it. I've also taken it a few times with no problems. Could have added to B itchy problem, though. But she did take enough for 2000 pounds of cow.

Your results with imidacloprid are interesting. I've never heard of anyone trying that one. Have you had any problems? Did you find out about the agricultural product before you tried it? I remember you asking about imidacloprid a while back, but I don't think anyone had any info for you.
TSD

Vista, CA

#9 Feb 7, 2010
My story is that I have had these things for years misdiagnosed by many different doctors. They seemed to be localized in itchy places which would act up. I may have gotten them when I was in juvenile hall as a kid 40 years ago and I broke out with "chicken pox" which took months to go away. Or, I may have gotten them in the military with some of the places I went. In any event, dermatologists treated it for years with topical steroids. My infections were deep and well established. It all came to light when my housemate (not lover) came down with scabies, and I put perm on as a precaution.

I got a reaction from the perm, and tried Ivermectin - three doses over 6 days. The results were encouraging. Long established itchy places started to heal, but never fully healed. I tried everything on this forum. My dermatologist had nothing new to offer. I even tried malathion from home depot (probably a stupid thing). It worked fairly well, but not completely.

So, I was travelling and under a lot of stress, and a massive outbreak occurred. I mean my body was suddenly covered with thousands and thousands of bites. I guess all the stuff I had been using had caused me to start shedding them, and my immune system was weak from fatigue. I came home and tried Ivermectin at double the recommended concentration, keeping the blood level high for four days. No success.

I was in the kitchen and notived my dog's flea medication (Advantage). I checked the ingredients and found that it works on heartworm and other bloodborne parasites, just like Ivermectin. Checked its mode of action, it is a nicotine derivative which is a nuerotoxin for arthropods and insects. It binds to a neuroreceptor which does not exist in mammals, only insects. Then I found a paper by a vet who used it on dogs for mange - the canine version of scabies. Two applications, one week apart worked in that case. This stuff seemed perfect because it is effective systemically and topically. It kills on contact, but is absorbed and gets in the blood.

I have put it on two times now, one week apart. The results have been dramatic and rapid. Large areas on my arms and legs have turned either black and blue or red where the little fuckers have been under the skin. Areas have opened up to shed them which I did not suspect they were living. The most affected areas were the ones which I know to be nodes. What surprised me was how large an area around them changed color. I think these things have been living under my skin for a very long time.

I had no guidelines on dosage, but read that it is only toxic at very high doses. I dosed myself at the same rate by weight as a canine dose for fleas. I am a bit over 200 pounds, so I used 4 packets intended for dogs over 55 pounds. There was plenty to cover all of my skin.

On the first does, I avoided my genitalia. But after spending some time looking at scabies photos on medical sites, every third or fourth image seemed to be of a penis, and all the literature points out that the most common infection points are hands and genitals for guys. On the second dose, I hit that area - and man does it itch now. So, I must have had them there too.

I think I have had them so long that my immune system has gottne used to them. So, most areas where they are under the skin are without symptoms until I kill them.

I am using topical steroids and oral (prednisone) to deal with the itching as they die under my skin.

This stuff is the first stuff which really appears to be working for me. I have tried everything else on this forum, plus a few of my own which I have not mentioned because they did not work.
itchygirl

Youngstown, OH

#10 Feb 7, 2010
Wow. Sounds like a nightmare. I'm happy that you are finally getting some relief. Please keep us posted.
buggie

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Feb 7, 2010
itchygirl wrote:
... Everything topical that I have tried on the animals has failed. This makes sense; the one professional that I went to that was able to help me was the vet derm, and she told me that mites can isolate themselves in the animals' sinuses and survive topical treatments. Which would explain why I started getting relief once I started using iver.,,
That's the first time I've heard that "mites can isolate themselves in the animal's sinuses" and from a veterinarian!!!!!! My vet was useless.

That happens to us too most probably.

Is the best way to get them out by taking Iver, and will using a neti pot or something else help??
I had a very bad cold last summer (maybe h1n1?) and I have no sense of smell anymore. I wonder if there's any connection. I would love to clean out my sinuses!

thanks itchygirl, i'm doing well, hope you are too.

Since: Jan 10

Port Huron, MI

#12 Feb 8, 2010
Itchy Girl,
I AM interested in animal dosing. I have a dog who is about 70lbs.
She is always biting at her paws, and her neck around her collar. I have had these for 3 years. I KNOW we are passing it. I WAS under the understand that DOGS CANNOT GET THEM?? I must be wrong?? I am getting the horse paste. How do I dose my dog?
Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!!
I ZO CONFUZED!!!!!
itchygirl wrote:
Welcome, Buggie! Not smart, just forced to educate myself.
You can either shoot it down their throats in a small syringe, or give it to them mixed with something good, like ice cream. I like the second method. Now the dogs get all excited when they see the iver bottle. A breeder who is also having bug problems suggested that I try the iver long term in small doses, which is what she is doing for her dogs. Similar dosing is used for dogs with demodex mange, and is often used for very long periods. I am planning on keeping them on it every summer. Everything topical that I have tried on the animals has failed. This makes sense; the one professional that I went to that was able to help me was the vet derm, and she told me that mites can isolate themselves in the animals' sinuses and survive topical treatments. Which would explain why I started getting relief once I started using iver. Life is looking up. I will post everything that has worked for me once all of my animals are cured and stay that way. I sleep well these days, and am not running into massive pockets of bugs like I was. I am just worried about what the summer will bring.
If anyone is interested in animal dosing, let me know. I have some good links.
How are you, buggie???

Port Huron, MI

#13 Feb 17, 2010
Hi ItchyGirl!
I JUST found your posting today, February 17th! IVERMECTIN CAN "KILL" YOUR DOG!!!
Don't give it to the dog!
It says so right in the pamphlet!
I am NOT a Vet, but I did read the pamphlet!!!!
I pray to God you did NOT give it to your dog?
Please let me know ASAP!!!
IZO

Port Huron, MI

#14 Feb 17, 2010
Upon reading these posts further, I find I was wrong - it is the HORSE PASTE that states it can be lethal to dogs.
Are you all talking about giving your dogs Advantage??? And yourselves?
I don't see an answer about "us" being able to get these as well as our dog????
My dog is beautiful - she does NOT look like she has Mange? I don't understand????
Can someone PLEASE EXPLAIN????
Help!
Thanks!
IZO

Port Huron, MI

#15 Feb 17, 2010
Hi again!
Did you put the Advantage directly on your skin?
I used the Horse Paste - in a syringe. It has NO needle!! You can fill an enpty capsule shell with it, which is what I do. I buy the empty capsules from my local health food store. They were for a Pro-biotic, but it made my skin break out terribly. I thought I was allergic to wheat. I follow a Gluten free diet, which is a wheat-free diet. It is okay. HARD!!!!
I weigh about 200lbs, too. Did you take the Ivermectin for 200lbs and for how many days in a row? Very curious and can't wait to find out fron you!
IZO
ouchiemama

Columbia, MD

#16 Feb 17, 2010
I just got my iver paste. I have a few questions if anyone can answer:

1) How long will 1 does of Iver generally last and stay in my body to prevent possible reinfection?

2) Does it kill any mites that may bite and burrow AFTER dosing?

3) What kind of side effects should i expect, if at all?

4) Has anyone been totally cured from Iver? IT sounds like many have tried it but eventually it fails or the mites become immune to it?

I am rahter afraid to take it after reading the label. It says its not intended for humans and only horses and specifically formulated that way. I guess i will try a small dose first but i really would like to know everything i could possibly know about this from someone that has used it already with some success. Thanks
B itchy

Valley City, OH

#17 Feb 17, 2010
I used the liquid injectable 1% ivomec. I have also given it to dogs for mamge, fleas etc. It is safe at 1 cc per 100lbs body weight. I took 10cc per 100lbs and was very very sick. That said I am totally cured, but it took a shot of cortisone, a week of prednisone pills, and perscription cortisone cream to get the itchyt rash to start healing.
I'm not sure why anyone would mess with the horse paste iver when swallowing a couple ccs of the liquid injectible is so much easier.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#18 Feb 17, 2010
You cannot give ivermectin to collies. there is a blood brain barrier thing going on with that breed of dog. ivermectin stays in your system anywhere from 24 hours to 48 hours. don't wash your skin during this time, as you want the ivermectin to reach your skin and have time to kill the adult mites. follow the dosage according to the directions and that is 1 cc or 1 ml per 100 lb. of body weight. DO NOT OVERDOSE YOUR PETS. consult a vet if you have questions. cats and small dogs only weigh about 10-15 pounds and they get a very small amount of ivermectin, not even a half of a cc or a quarter of a cc. the horsepaste is more concentrated than the injectible, SO BE CAREFUL AND CONSULT A VET. ivermectin can give you a headache, upset stomach, and can make you feel tired. overdose in pets can cause dilated pupils, clumsiness and drool.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#19 Feb 17, 2010
There is a thread on the forum called "Progresses Forum." something to that effect. this guy was cured, and his thread is interesting to read. He was very smart.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#20 Feb 17, 2010
Here is the link to Progress' Scabies forum. A really good read.

http://www.topix.com/forum/health/scabies/TNS...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scabies 6 min Robb5 1
Why do scabies researchers get that much money ?? 22 min Mellanby 1
What doctor (in the USA) is the most experience... (Feb '12) 6 hr doc5 11
hot water (Mar '12) 6 hr mottie 2
Should I retreat? (May '13) 7 hr Gessi 3
can you get scabies only on your face? (i.e nos... 14 hr Wax sniffing 2
Dr Bronners liquid castille soap? (Oct '14) 20 hr bobcat 37
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) Fri betseyB 4,493
More from around the web