What is Benzy Benzoate??

What is Benzy Benzoate??

Posted in the Scabies Forum

IZO

Warren, MI

#1 Feb 27, 2010
If you can please tell me what Benzy Benzoate is??????
Thanks!
IZO
Vann from Tennessee

Beech Bluff, TN

#2 Feb 27, 2010
IZO,
Here are my notes with links on BB.

Benzyl Benzoate (AKA Ascabiol, Benzemul)
==========
Toxic:
Skin Contact: Causes irritation to skin. Symptoms include redness, itching, and pain. Eye Contact:Causes irritation, redness, and pain. Details here
http://www.healthopedia.com/drugs/detailed/be...
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-informa...
* Dangerous - follow directions to the letter.
* Used as an antiparasitic insecticide that kills lice and the mites responsible for the skin condition scabies, As a treatment for sweet itch in horses,
* Laundry - Use 1 ounce in each load of Laundry... order by the gallon.
* Spay - 1 part BB and 2 parts alcohol on furnishings
* cream that is applied to the skin for 24 hours. After the 24-hour treatment period, the cream should be removed with soap and water. For severe infestation, the cream can be re-applied 24 hours after the initial treatment period. Re-application should occur within five days for the initial treatment. Side effects of this medication include itching and burning.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/BHS_NHM_Mic...
* Can be purchased here:
http://www.researchsupply.net/solvents_etc.ht...
Official instructions:
Benzyl benzoate is topical cream that is applied to the skin for 24 hours. After the 24-hour treatment period, the cream should be removed with soap and water. For severe infestation, the cream can be re-applied 24 hours after the initial teatment period. Re-application should occur within five days for the initial treatment. Side effects of this medication include itching and burning.

IMO, this drug should be taken under a doctors care.

Best of luck to you,
Vann
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#3 Feb 27, 2010
IZO wrote:
If you can please tell me what Benzy Benzoate is??????
Thanks!
IZO
Benzyl Benzoate is a solvent. Way back, we were buying 100% from a research company and mixing it with rubbing alcohol and putting it in a spray bottle. It works as a scabicide. But, you have to be careful because it will mess up and melt a little bit, your keyboard, telephones, eyeglasses, etc.

They also sell a lotion already made up with BB, called Benzemul. And this is soothing to put on your skin.

It's less caustic than permethrin. You can use it more often.

It looks like they sell Benzemul on this website. usually ordered from australia.
http://www.chemistaustralia.com.au/products/b...

Here is where you get the 100% BB, that you can mix 10% BB with 90% rubbing alcohol and use as a scabicide.

http://www.researchsupply.net/solvents_etc.ht...

here's a search i did on this forum and it came up with 4 threads:

http://www.topix.com/forumsearch/health/scabi...

I hope this helps you.

the 100% BB is ordered from a chemical company.
Marisa

Brisbane, Australia

#4 Dec 7, 2011
I was prescribed Benzemul application for my five month old baby for scabies and after diluting it 1;3 with water and painting it on with a brush as advised my baby started to cry and then scream and I knew it was reacting to the chemical...rushed him to the shower to wash it all off and his whole body went red and he was in pain....I am so angry at this and on the bottle it says not for babys under 6 months old which the Doctor read and still decided to prescribe. I am taking in complaints from other people on the internet and going to take it to the Doctor and the pharmacist....this is just another case where the doctor doesnt know what he is doing!! Maybe I will even take it further and sue him!!

Since: Aug 11

Cannington, Australia

#5 Dec 7, 2011
omg i cant believe they told you to put that on your baby! im 35 and it burns the shit out of me at the best of times, when you mix it with water it can seperate and burn more from my experiance and nnever can i put it on my face! they should have given you lyclear,i use that on my son after burning him to.you poor thing i know how you must have felt! just use lyclear on him,it never burns.

Cannington, Australia

#6 Dec 7, 2011
in australia you can also by eurax cream,its very mild and i have but that on my son too,it also kills scabies but not as strong,it has that cramotion/or what ever its called in it!

Cannington, Australia

#7 Dec 7, 2011
bb should always be mixed at half and half!

Cannington, Australia

#8 Dec 7, 2011
quellada permethrine was my choice of chemical i used the most and at times i added more permethrine to it to make it stronger for me whenn needed.
Samia

Pascoe Vale, Australia

#9 Feb 2, 2012
Marisa - I just used it on myself and my 5 year old daughter, worst thing I ever done, I'm burning like crazy, so I can't imagine the pain my daughter was in when she was screaming and crying. You should be angry and you should sue because that is rediculous!!! Poor baby can't imagine how much it would of hurt.
Gaylebsteve

West Columbia, SC

#10 Feb 3, 2012
Dear IZO, please order sulfur cream from the internet. You may be free of scabies in just three nights. This stuff is not toxic and it works. One lady I know used edible diatomaceous earth and sprinkled it on for three days each time 3 different times. Now, she is scabie free.
Bruce

AOL

#11 Feb 17, 2012
Benzyl Benzoate is an excellent scabies killer for your laundry. Swanson Health Products sells a laundry additive called Mite-Free at an excellent discount which contains benzyl benzoate, polysorbate 20, tea tree oil, and methyl salicylate. It's available at:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SHH001/ItemDet...

Regarding those who suggest using BB on your skin, note that the Mite-Free, which isn't even 100% BB, has the following WARNING on its label:

"Keep out of reach of children. Do not ingest. If ingested, drink a large glass of water. May irritate eyes or skin. If this product gets in your eyes or on your skin, flush with cool water for 10 minutes. Contact a physician if necessary."
Scabie girl

New York, NY

#13 Jul 3, 2012
Maybe is too soon to tell but after many months of crawling and pinpricks and barely a bite ( well that is bc I kept numbers down but I could feel them always night and day) I used oermethinh and iver many times ( 12,24 hours on skin) more than double my weight in iver 1% and pills.
I have been doing yesterday and also today 24 hours straight with BB and it is working, i wish i could have know this bc using so much permethirn. I stop taking atarax bc I wanted to know what is going on instead of masking symptoms. Atarax was prescribed by a Derm that said I have nothing. Of course i don't have anything to show more than a very hurt skin.
I must confess that by the time I knew how to deal with this I was :
- showering after ivernectin shot.( you should not do that, do not shower for 2 days after iver shot or pills let the skin to be as oily as possible)
- do not take vitamins or anything during period you are taking ivermectin. I read it can interfere with its efficacy.
- while doing iver do also any topical of choice. Depending on your case.
Do it every 5 days for a month and half.
Buy tons of BB for laundry and floors. Do not use on furniture or anything that has plastic on it. Really bad for that it mets plastic and leather things.
The wooden floors are ok but other kind of floor be careful it destroyed a little bit my bathroom floor.
Buy your own permethrin 10% and make you own strong repellent. Mix with with other and a bunch of essential oils ( peppermint, pennyroyal, etc)
Do not appy BenZemul on face. It hurst a lot. On body and head is ok but stings for 15 minutes be aware of it. But honestly it worth it.
Scabie girl

New York, NY

#14 Jul 3, 2012
I cannot believe a stupid derm prescribe bb to babies and children. That is stupidness. I mean hasnt he tried this on his on skin?
lifeupsidedown

Yucca Valley, CA

#15 Jul 3, 2012
Scabies Girl, So nice to hear of your improvement. I’ve noticed your posts for a while. I’m very happy for you. Keep is updated :) Bruce, You still around? Hope life has returned back to normal for you and you are well!

Trying nair, The natural plant form of permithin and sulfur at the moment.
pin prick woman

Sydney, Australia

#16 Jun 4, 2013
Hi i was using permetherin & i was still feeling bites while it was on me! I kno we still itch 4 up to a yr but i had new bites & those pin pricks. My dh Dr said just iron b4 you wear anything for 2wks "yea right" but iv wiped EVERYTHING down with a mix of eaucalyptus, clove & tea tree oils & used flea bombs on carpets & vaccumed mattresses everyday. I've put all bedding n clothes thru drier. I still had them till i used bb & repeated the cleaning process just explained above. The devil would kick these scabies out i swear! They can live on your pet for 2days so keep animals out for a while or in another room. Use neem oil in between treatments as it stuffs with their breeding cycle & they can't lay anymore eggs. I hope this helps you as its helped me. Thanx for letting me know about using bb in the wash as i will do that too. The stuff took my gel nails off but worth it. Oh yea it does frelling sting.
pin prick woman

Sydney, Australia

#17 Jun 4, 2013
Just one more thing. Drs are very behind the times when it comes to scabies treatment. He was right about ironing everything before you wear tho. If you bye 2nd hand clothes don't wear without ironing them 1st as the eggs re hatch in clothes for 2wks. I got scabies this way.
ITCHING

Durban, South Africa

#18 Feb 13, 2014
Went to DR TODAY AS STARTED ITCHING IN NECK, BACK THOUGHT IT COULD BE HEAT RASH. TO MY SURPRISE WAS TOLD YOU HAVE A BUG. GO AND TAKE ALL LINNEN AND CLOTHES WASH IN HOT WATER AND IRON. HOW AND WHERE WOULD I HAVE GOT THIS.???
MEDICINE GIVEN ALLEGEX, ZINPLEX OINTMENT BENZYL BENZOATE ...WHAT A SHOCK FOR ME AND IF NOT TREATED IT COULD SPREAD ALL OVER MY BODY.
going crazy

Saint Kilda, Australia

#19 May 26, 2014
Have been applying benzemul everyday all over for a week now, it works! Stopped for a cupla days & dese scabbies were back, not as prolific, but still there. My hair & back of neck seem to b da most problematic, i wash my clothes, bed linen, doona cover in hot water every morning after applying myself! Can someone pls tell me if i am poisoning myself? how long they live off da body? So on & so on! Any info will help, How long does da itching last
Karim

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20 Sep 4, 2014
going crazy wrote:
Have been applying benzemul everyday all over for a week now, it works! Stopped for a cupla days & dese scabbies were back, not as prolific, but still there. My hair & back of neck seem to b da most problematic, i wash my clothes, bed linen, doona cover in hot water every morning after applying myself! Can someone pls tell me if i am poisoning myself? how long they live off da body? So on & so on! Any info will help, How long does da itching last
Hi! I wanna know if you are scabies free now? How did u cure yourself with benzyl? Did u apply it several times? I have a hard time curing myself from this scabies.. It keeps coming back..
bamotso

Johannesburg, South Africa

#22 Sep 8, 2015
Scabie girl wrote:
I cannot believe a stupid derm prescribe bb to babies and children. That is stupidness. I mean hasnt he tried this on his on skin?
God I just used it on my boy he is 3 and was screaming hike hell...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
small tiny clear bumps...looks like something i... (Jul '08) 6 hr Lady Di 46
News Health district scabies treatment day deemed su... 9 hr Wasting our time 1
Misdiagnosed? (Mar '08) Wed Shelbi 6
Only one in house with scabies? (Mar '12) Tue ljh1965 69
Scabies on face and scalp? (Aug '07) Tue Ciera 977
Post Scabies Nodules on male genitals (May '08) Tue recreational 64
Post Scabies Itch Syndrome (Mar '12) Tue recreational 205
More from around the web