'post-scabies'?
Kel

Adelaide, Australia

#1 May 6, 2011
Right... did post this on another thread, but thought i'd also start a new topic - new to forums :) Teenager brought home what is still queried as scabies (diff docs diff opinions!) 12 months ago.. bumps all over Treated her 3 times (and rest of family once we were informed we should-family all asymptomatic).. Her rash and itching went after a while, prob october same time as she stopped using soap and hot water (allergist queried dermatitis not scabies)

Forward to February- 9 year old diagnosed with scabies.. Only really on hands and wrists. bumps that almost looked like warts and some scabbiness on her fingers..I had intense itch on hands and several places, but onlynlittle bit of flaky skin and a couple of mosquito bite things.
We all treated with benzol benzoate, 1 week apart. Confoundinmentg issue is that because of a disorder I have (hidradenitis suppurativa) I am unable to use topical
treatments everywhere, but told by doc should be ok to not treat underarms, under breasts and groin.. 3 weeks after i went to different docs, said i was itching like mad and it felt like scabies on my hands..Told it was psychosomatic.
2 weeks later Both 9 year old and I itchy.. Her showing signs . doc said to do topical again Referred to dermatologist ..

Derm Confirmed scabies in 9 year old.. Treated her (and teen and boyfriend) with permethrin, I got oral ivermectin (-and permethrin for where I could put it). Washed and tumble dried at laundromat all bedding and clothes we would wear for next 5 days.Cleaned shoes etc and left the house (I sprayed the car and put sheets over seats), staying interstate at my partners:) itch went but started again mild 4 days following treatement. Home day 5.
Day 8 retreated (perimethrin and oral ivermectin). Mopped floors with bleach, re washed and dried everything, bagged what we weren't using for 8 days, cleaned shoes, wiped most surfaces, sprayed /covered couch. Mild itch returned day 4 again.
So I'm freaking.. Stll itchy (second treatment was 12 days ago. Do we still have scabies?? Or is it post? I swear I can feel crawling!! Funny thing was the relef for 3 days.. Teen and bf have shown NO signs, 9 had small itchy patch on finger crop up. Itch is mild - not waking in night, and doesnt get worse at night. we never experienced the full body sores and scabs ( 9 had a couple on hand). itch is on hands and one knee, but not centralised into a specific ongoing spot.

basically, am i nuts?:)
Kel

Adelaide, Australia

#2 May 20, 2011
follow on - developed massively itchy hands 5 days later.. and 2 bumps on wrist :( another doc said scabies again, and we need to permethrin again.. sigh.. did inlude scalp and face this time.
did that . vaccummed lounge and sprayed with perm spray.(wlounge we axquired inbetween outbreaks, got rid of old). i bagged everything in my room, sprayed mattress, and will not be entering room for a week. similar in 9 year old room. washing EVERYTHING and bought a tumble dryer.removed rugs. bleach mopped floors and wiped down surfaces. camp bed/unused mattress in lounge, changing bedding for everyone daily. only wearing clothes once.vaccummed and perm spray car, garbage bag on my seat
i am still frigging itchy with bitey sensations 4 days later. no one else has ANY signs.
i am also exfoliating and using neem soap. we cannot get sulphur soap in australia. is there anything else i can do? I did think it was odd nearly 3 weeks after treatment itch came back with a vengeance.. so obviously reinfected. but where from? original carrier isnt around. no one else with symptoms (and were treated).. 3 weeks a long time to reinfest from environment? this is just nuts.any suggestions?
GMB1306

United States

#3 May 20, 2011
Kel wrote:
follow on - developed massively itchy hands 5 days later.. and 2 bumps on wrist :( another doc said scabies again, and we need to permethrin again.. sigh.. did inlude scalp and face this time.
did that . vaccummed lounge and sprayed with perm spray.(wlounge we axquired inbetween outbreaks, got rid of old). i bagged everything in my room, sprayed mattress, and will not be entering room for a week. similar in 9 year old room. washing EVERYTHING and bought a tumble dryer.removed rugs. bleach mopped floors and wiped down surfaces. camp bed/unused mattress in lounge, changing bedding for everyone daily. only wearing clothes once.vaccummed and perm spray car, garbage bag on my seat
i am still frigging itchy with bitey sensations 4 days later. no one else has ANY signs.
i am also exfoliating and using neem soap. we cannot get sulphur soap in australia. is there anything else i can do? I did think it was odd nearly 3 weeks after treatment itch came back with a vengeance.. so obviously reinfected. but where from? original carrier isnt around. no one else with symptoms (and were treated).. 3 weeks a long time to reinfest from environment? this is just nuts.any suggestions?
The thing about this crap is that you never know where it is coming from. Buy plastic matress covers and cover your matress, this locks them in, so they will die off without being able to feed on you. Also, on your computer mouse, clean down with alcohol or bleach, don't drown it, it won't work. Mouse pads are good for getting reinfected, change it or put it in a plastic bag. Scabies can be transferred through money. If you wear glasses, treat with Permethrin. Clean your car keys. There are a lot of placed people don't think about cleaning. Everytime you use the bathroom, wipe toilet seat with sanitary wipes. I have been spraying with lice spray every 2-3 days on carpeted areas and any upolstery things, to stop their chain reaction and cycle. I did 11 permethrin 5% cream treatments and no telling how many lice shampoos. I also took the stomectrol. I am currently clear for the last 5 days. I was doing the bleach treatments and on Sunday last weekend, I sprayed my arms and on my left one I found a hugh nest which showed up immediately. I sprayed so much clorox bleach on it that I actually got a chemical burn. Since then, it went away. I also did the PROBIOTIC 40 billion, Acidophilis, I am not sure how to spell this at this time, this puts good bacteria in your body to fight the parasites, along with an antibotic Kflex, 4 caps a day, 2000 mg, which my allergist put me on. Which I am still on and will be on for another couple of weeks. I don't really know if I just killed off the mass and that is why I am no longer suffering with the nasty bites. They dug in me so hard on Saturday afternoon that I cried. I prayed to GOD to end my suffering. I hope you get relief soon. I still wipe down my mattress cover with bleach wipes everyday and change my sheets and PJ's everyday. I do not wear clothes more than 8 hours at this time. I found that showering 2 -3 times a day helped. Then do the bleach sprays afterwards. DO NOT BATH in a tub, this will only reinfect you more. PS toilet handles, faucet handles, cabinet handles, things you touch around your house. Remote control for TV, wipe down.
GMB1306

United States

#4 May 20, 2011
kEL - PS I still feel crawling things from time to time but nothing is biting me anymore. They say this could go on for up to 4 weeks. I just get an alcohol pad out and wipe my skin in that area. If there is anything, I am cleaning it immediatly, as not to get reinfected. CompUter key boards, clean also.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#5 May 21, 2011
Kel wrote:
Right... did post this on another thread, but thought i'd also start a new topic - new to forums :) Teenager brought home what is still queried as scabies (diff docs diff opinions!) 12 months ago.. bumps all over Treated her 3 times (and rest of family once we were informed we should-family all asymptomatic).. Her rash and itching went after a while, prob october same time as she stopped using soap and hot water (allergist queried dermatitis not scabies)
Forward to February- 9 year old diagnosed with scabies.. Only really on hands and wrists. bumps that almost looked like warts and some scabbiness on her fingers..I had intense itch on hands and several places, but onlynlittle bit of flaky skin and a couple of mosquito bite things.
We all treated with benzol benzoate, 1 week apart. Confoundinmentg issue is that because of a disorder I have (hidradenitis suppurativa) I am unable to use topical
treatments everywhere, but told by doc should be ok to not treat underarms, under breasts and groin.. 3 weeks after i went to different docs, said i was itching like mad and it felt like scabies on my hands..Told it was psychosomatic.
2 weeks later Both 9 year old and I itchy.. Her showing signs . doc said to do topical again Referred to dermatologist ..
Derm Confirmed scabies in 9 year old.. Treated her (and teen and boyfriend) with permethrin, I got oral ivermectin (-and permethrin for where I could put it). Washed and tumble dried at laundromat all bedding and clothes we would wear for next 5 days.Cleaned shoes etc and left the house (I sprayed the car and put sheets over seats), staying interstate at my partners:) itch went but started again mild 4 days following treatement. Home day 5.
Day 8 retreated (perimethrin and oral ivermectin). Mopped floors with bleach, re washed and dried everything, bagged what we weren't using for 8 days, cleaned shoes, wiped most surfaces, sprayed /covered couch. Mild itch returned day 4 again.
So I'm freaking.. Stll itchy (second treatment was 12 days ago. Do we still have scabies?? Or is it post? I swear I can feel crawling!! Funny thing was the relef for 3 days.. Teen and bf have shown NO signs, 9 had small itchy patch on finger crop up. Itch is mild - not waking in night, and doesnt get worse at night. we never experienced the full body sores and scabs ( 9 had a couple on hand). itch is on hands and one knee, but not centralised into a specific ongoing spot.
basically, am i nuts?:)
I would say fresh bites means activity. You dont have sores over your body because you are probably early stages, I think this is the best time to overcome them. Once they spread it becomes harder as there are more generations to wipe out ( more eggs have been laid )
Kel

Adelaide, Australia

#6 May 26, 2011
it keeps going, and i am seriously not coping now... i went back to docs beacause of the itchy hands.. she saw a small pimple on wrist, and said to re-treat. we did everyone on tuesday night. on saturday my partner came from interstate, and both he and i treated before contact.. then me and the kids again tuesday night (he had gone back home that morning)..
tues morning noticed 3 small flat wart like bumps on 9 yr olds hand.. as i stated, we all treated tues evening, and left on for 24 hours.. over this time (and since then - its now thurs evening) she has more patches of the flat wart- they are not noticable unless looking for them-. mainly around edges of palms of hands, one spot on top of toe, one on back of heel. this is WHILE we are treating. in the middle of some of them there are small grey/blak dots.. they itch her a little as they crop up.
we went to the chemist who took a look - he thinks maybe a reaction to the perm.. tho this is the 7th time shes used perm. and the first warty thinkg occured 6.5 days after (on the morning of doing the second treatment of that treatment 'cycle')
ANY IDEAS?? ANYONE??
in australia we cannot source suplhur soap etc - we do have selsun blue 1% and gold 2.5%.
I have cleaned EVERYTHING!!!
everthing gets wiped down. mattresses and couch covered in plastic, sprayed with bleach and wiped down every morning. all clothing and bedding gets soaked and washed in hot water with borax, then dried. shoes and bags in freezer overnight. of course toys and other things bagged (2 weeks and counting). car vaccumed and sprayed. in the past we have left the home for 5 days and took nothing that could contaminate. beginning of this last treatment session, both 9 year old and my room shut off for 6 days. 16 yr old and her bf who spends a lot of time here have NO symptoms.. nethrer does partner.
I seriously cannot keep going
Kel

Adelaide, Australia

#7 May 26, 2011
forgot to mention cat was treated on saturday with revolution. im also on high doses of garlic tabs, and have given the kids some. we bathe in neem soap too.i am trying to do this and work- which is gradually going down the drain. i get home and focus on cleaning /washing ec.. and searching here for help.its ruining relationships, and my sanity.

Location hidden

#8 May 26, 2011
Others have had success with Ivermectin or sulphur cream which a chemist will mix up for you. I tried 3 rounds of lyclear and 2 rounds of benzyl benzoate.In the end I I finished them off with flea treatment which has 45% permethrin. You must do face and scalp. They are clever they will just hide where there is no treatment. Also you need to kill generations of them as they hatch at different times
Kel

Adelaide, Australia

#9 May 26, 2011
Thanks cat,
I've done 2 doses of ivermectin, we've all had 2 of Benzyl and 7 of perm.. This last 2 did face and scalp... Will check with Chem, but as far as I know they don't do sulphur... Am so done

Since: May 11

Dublin, Ireland

#10 May 26, 2011
Kel, I have just done my 6th round of ivermectin.

Post scabies is hell. I have read that post scabies lasts for 4 to 8 months. I am at 4 months here and I still have new sores popping up every day. This is post scabies. You can treat yourself over and over and continue wasting your money if that makes you feel better like I did. But you have to come to a point where you understand that post scabies is worse than actual scabies. Post scabies is a completely different beast and you are just going to have to suffer through it. DON'T start doing all the crazy stuff that other users are suggesting in other threads.

Read my thread: My 4 year scabies story, need help from scabies survivors [pictures]

And search for a thread by "Progress". It has good info about scabies but please don't go to the extreme measures that he has gone to.

!!!!Get Xyzal which is an incredibly good antihistamine. It's expensive but I can't go more than 24 hours without it.

Location hidden

#11 May 26, 2011
Kel wrote:
Thanks cat,
I've done 2 doses of ivermectin, we've all had 2 of Benzyl and 7 of perm.. This last 2 did face and scalp... Will check with Chem, but as far as I know they don't do sulphur... Am so done
you need to find a compounding chemist not a regular chemist

Location hidden

#12 May 26, 2011
Catzillaa wrote:
<quoted text>
you need to find a compounding chemist not a regular chemist
I can see about six in adelaide in google
kel

Adelaide, Australia

#13 Jul 14, 2011
Fresh Bytez wrote:
Kel, I have just done my 6th round of ivermectin.
Post scabies is hell. I have read that post scabies lasts for 4 to 8 months. I am at 4 months here and I still have new sores popping up every day. This is post scabies. You can treat yourself over and over and continue wasting your money if that makes you feel better like I did. But you have to come to a point where you understand that post scabies is worse than actual scabies. Post scabies is a completely different beast and you are just going to have to suffer through it. DON'T start doing all the crazy stuff that other users are suggesting in other threads.
Read my thread: My 4 year scabies story, need help from scabies survivors [pictures]
And search for a thread by "Progress". It has good info about scabies but please don't go to the extreme measures that he has gone to.
!!!!Get Xyzal which is an incredibly good antihistamine. It's expensive but I can't go more than 24 hours without it.
Fresh, cheers for your reply :)
we had it all die off slowly over the last couple of months - this last few days has come back with a vengeance.. does yours come and go?

Location hidden

#14 Jul 15, 2011
kel wrote:
<quoted text>
Fresh, cheers for your reply :)
we had it all die off slowly over the last couple of months - this last few days has come back with a vengeance.. does yours come and go?
No it doesnt. If you are having no luck read Imidacloprid thread.
helpme

Cork, Ireland

#15 May 16, 2013
Can someone help me
I got scabies 9 months ago - i was suffering from post scabies ever since with new sores appearing but no itching.
Then around 1 month ago I seem to be getting itching but not badly (defo not like when i had scabies)- im getting small prick bits on my belly and back - one or two on my hands --nothing major.
Im so confused as to what is going on - how can i become reinfected 9 months later - if there were scabies in the house i would have got them sooner ..no?
Please help im going crazy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scabies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how do i get rid of scabies once and for all? i... (Feb '07) 2 hr wantemgone2 4,476
where does YOUR scabies come from? (Feb '09) 4 hr hand2day 84
flea and tick dog shampoo cured me in a week. 5 hr hand2day 3
News Scabies not a big deal, officials say (Mar '09) 8 hr huey goins 23
How did I get rid of scabies in three seconds (Oct '11) 16 hr Roony 490
Albendazole works Sat Wtf 6
Collembola/Springtails (Jan '13) Sat wantemgone2 570
More from around the web