Prosthetic--silicone or Bio-eye Hydro...

Prosthetic--silicone or Bio-eye Hydroxyapatite Orbital Implant???

Posted in the Retinoblastoma Forum

Jill

Chicago, IL

#1 Apr 11, 2009
My son is 10 and has a silicone implant. His is drifting and has to have another surgery. I have been reading about the Bio-eye Hydroxyapatite Orbital Implant. It sounds great, but the surgeon says that there are more complications with it compared to the silicone. My son is due for surgery June 1st and I am having doubts about everything. Does anybody have personal experience with it? Does anybody know where I should look to for advice?
Billie

United States

#2 Feb 18, 2010
Jill, I just read your post, and I, too am considering having another implant surgery. I was wondering if you had received any responses to your question. Strangely, I am also in Indianapolis. I lost my eye at the age of ten and had an orbital implanted, I believe it was a silicon implant. As I have gotten older, the movement of my eye has decreased and I have an increase in headaches. The ocularist indicated that there is some migration of the orbital. I am concerned about the risks with the hydroxapatite implant but do not want to see a second silicone implant shift? I was just wondering if your son has undergone the procedure and what the outcome was? Thank you!
Jill wrote:
My son is 10 and has a silicone implant. His is drifting and has to have another surgery. I have been reading about the Bio-eye Hydroxyapatite Orbital Implant. It sounds great, but the surgeon says that there are more complications with it compared to the silicone. My son is due for surgery June 1st and I am having doubts about everything. Does anybody have personal experience with it? Does anybody know where I should look to for advice?
Tonya

Gastonia, NC

#3 May 16, 2011
I had my left eye removed in 07 due to an injury and my doctor inserted the orbital implant right away. Honestly I couldn't imagine any other implant it's been four years already and I havent had any complications what-so-ever and I can say right now my movement is at about 45% but I can a new better fitting eye next week that will increase my movement to about 80%. I can live with that lol. Hoped that helped and good luck!!
Golam Robbani Ahmed

United States

#4 Dec 8, 2011
How the patient feel when it is done by local anaesthesia in operation theature.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Retinoblastoma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cancer and Genetics: What's the Connection? Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 2
Has anyone had or heard of this surgery? (Oct '13) Oct '13 Linds 1
News p53 promotes VEGF expression and angiogenesis i... (Jun '13) Jun '13 andrew j langham 1
toddler's photo (Jan '12) Jan '12 HRW 1
Concerned (Dec '11) Dec '11 Vanessa 1
Wondering about friends photo. (Nov '11) Nov '11 Amanda 1
GenFX.com Review (Jul '10) Nov '11 Jones T 4
More from around the web