Sex or sexual stimuation impact on PS...

Sex or sexual stimuation impact on PSA ??

Posted in the Prostate Cancer Forum

Peter

Ocala, FL

#1 Sep 11, 2009
I'm a 55 yo white male. My GP had a PSA done on me about 24 hrs after I had sex as part of a cluster of tests (early Sept). Result was 4.4. My urologist says I should wait at least 3 days. My recent test on 9/9 was 3.5 (17% free). Jan '08 was 1.0 Nov '08 was 1.77. The 3.5 PSA was obtained a little over 3 days after sex. And during the 3 days period I was sexually stimulated a little each day but did not ejaculate. Noticed seminal fluid leakage though. So, three questions: How much of a PSA increase should one expect due to sex after say 24 hours? It it reasonable to think that some stimulation with seminal fluid leakage would invalidate the PSA of 3.5? At my age of 55 would one expect PSA to always increase due to sex or does this only happen to a fraction of men?

Thanks,
larry

Pearl City, HI

#2 Nov 23, 2009
I'm 52. My psa has been 0.8 for many years, but I always avoided ejaculation for a few days before. A week ago I ejaculated in the morning and took a psa test a few hours later -- my psa resulta came back elevatedv at 1,9. So I'm going to lay off the ejaculatory stuuf for seven days and then go back and have my psa redone -- because I've read so many different scenarios on the web I think I need to find out first hand. Any advice? Cancer or just careless timing on my part?
Reallydoesntmatt er

Gallitzin, PA

#3 Mar 4, 2010
http://www.phoenix5.org/Basics/PSAejac.html

Ask you doc some questions and hold his feet to the floor. If he tries to dismiss your concerns without adequate discourse and explanation, find another physician. Be prepared with your internet research when you go to see him. Biggest realization on all of this PSA hoohaa is that it IS NOT, in and of itsef, an accurate test. You have to take into consideration a slew of other factors. I'm 50 with a 5+. Guess what? I found out that hyperthyroidism (even when temporary as caused by too much iodide as in antitussive cough syrups and Sudafed) can temporarily raise the PSA results. There are myriad factors that can impact PSA results. And no, my doc didn't tell me to lay off sexual activity prior to the test, so between that and the hyperthyroidtoxicosis that's two extraneous factors. So for now, no worries - except for what some bastard insurance company might try to do should they access my "numbers" on ANY test... That's another matter.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#5 Jan 28, 2014
Here is a new one. BHP by itself can cause an increase in PSA along with any drug your taking for a cold. My current urologist ordered a PSA when I approached him with ED questions. It was 5.0 with a negative DRE. We waited 2 months and it was 7 while taking decongestants. He suggested a biopsy & I said first lets do a PCA3 and he agreed. A PCA3 should be done with a sample that is first void after a DRE. That was not done. An office worked, not my doctor called & said the PCA3 was at 27 and that was high and pressured me to schedule a biosy. No reference could be given. When checking on my own I found that the number was low. by many accounts. Now I need to explain to my doctor the proper method for taking a PCA3 sample, I will recommend we forgo the biopsy (which has it's own complications) in favor of just the ultrasound and continued PSA's and DRE's. Your feedback solicited.
Excalibur

Allenton, WI

#6 Jan 30, 2014
It;s not that I felt the decongestant was altering my PSA but possibly the infection I was fighting.
Excalibur

Allenton, WI

#7 Jan 30, 2014
My doctor told me today that the DRE would not have affected the PCA3 result only make sure there were cells available in the urine to run the test

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cayenne Pepper seems to have cured my prostate ... (Mar '08) Feb 16 kss112057 171
Radiation alone shrinking penis size (Jan '07) Jan 29 frustration 7
News Fire Doctors Who Call Trump Crazy Jan 25 Poster Child for ... 3
prostate pain at night? (Jan '11) Jan 23 Anon 41
News Mitt Romney was 'treated successfully' for pros... Jan '18 Raydot 3
GreenLight Laser Surgery Complications (May '07) Jan '18 mushkerz 1,470
News Battling Prostate Cancer (Dec '06) Jan '18 RJS 34
More from around the web