Swollen Prostrate Glan and suspected ...

Swollen Prostrate Glan and suspected CA Prostrate. Can anyone help suggest?

Posted in the Prostate Cancer Forum

Khaplang

Delhi, India

#1 May 26, 2012
Hi, My Farther (age 73 yeas) has gone through Prostrate gland operation in the year 2001 after he has been diagnosed swelled Prostrate Gland. He was ok until we have gone for some test last week. After going through several tests it has now be identified that His Prostrate Gland has swelled again and PSA level has also gone high ( much more than acceptable limit). We then took him to a urologist who after looking at a the test results suggested to go for Prostrate Gland operation and then send sample for biopsy. Day before yesterday Dr. did the operation but instead of operating Prostrate Gland he removed both of his testis saying that as per him this is the best treatment at this stage considering the health condition at this age (73 years old). I am little bit confused now and slightly concerned whether the treatment is going in right direction or not. Can anyone please help here?
NJRetiree

Lakewood, NJ

#2 May 29, 2012
I searched for your father's treatment through google and found the following info on the PennState Hershey Milton S, Hershey Medical Center (in Pennsylvania, USA) web site on Prostate information:

"The actual cause of prostate enlargement is unknown. Factors linked to aging and the testicles themselves may play a role in the growth of the gland. Men who have had their testicles removed at a young age (for example, as a result of testicular cancer) do not develop BPH.

Similarly, if the testicles are removed after a man develops BPH, the prostate begins to shrink in size. "

I am not a doctor but it sound like your father's doctor may have done the testicle removal to cause the prostate to shrink, without the possible side effects (incontinence, bleeding, urgency, pain, etc.) of prostate surgery. You should ask him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GreenLight Laser Surgery Complications (May '07) May 21 Erknok88 1,458
Plasma button surgery for BPH (Dec '11) May 15 cali 217
News Identifying and Treating BPH (Mar '12) May 1 Dorian 31
News Black Men at Greater Risk for Prostate Cancer: ... Apr 26 SadButTrue 10
prostate pain at night? (Jan '11) Feb '17 Hello 38
Managing Urinary Incontinence After Prostatecto... (Jun '11) Jan '17 williedynomite 20
News Should Gerard Depardieu Have Worn Adult Diapers... (Aug '11) Jan '17 kirton 2
More from around the web