Plasma button surgery for BPH
NJRetiree

Lakewood, NJ

#41 May 23, 2012
I asked my urologist about the button turp be he only does greenlight, so I am scheduled to do that in a couple of weeks.

He said regardless of the procedure, the skill and training of the surgeon is what counts. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping he has the skill and training he claims, and will do a good job.
art

Saint Louis, MO

#42 Jun 11, 2012
My doctor wants to do this procedure on me.Bladder does not void properly but he says my prostate is small like less than 30cc but he says it is cusing obstruction.If my prostate is small why will cleaning out tissue help? Just curious if anyone knows.

Since: Mar 12

Richland, WA

#43 Jun 11, 2012
As they explained it to me, the prostate pushes up into the bladder causing the bottom of the bladder to be lower than the opening. Therefore the bladder always has something in it and in my case that caused an irritation to the lining. After the TURP and prostate tissue removal, the opening is now at the bottom where it should be and I have zero retention. Maybe even a small prostate like yours has caused it to go up into the bladder. That's my guess anyway.
NJRetiree

Lakewood, NJ

#44 Jun 11, 2012
I would find out what is your PVR (post void residual)which is urine left in bladder after urination. Mine was 200 cc but with Flomax is down to 100 cc. Usually after a turp procedure it is down to 25 cc or less. Also what are your symptoms? Are you experiencing painful urination, retention, voiding small amounts often? When you urinate, is it just an ounce or two or do you go 5 or 6 ounces? If the prostate closes off the channel that the urine passes through, or obstructs the mouth of the bladder, and causes symptoms of slow urination, retention, pain, burning, output of just a couple of ounces at a time, then it doesn't matter what the size is. That is why the turp is performed to clear a path.
My prostate is about 200 cc. And I have almost a two inch cubed portion of my prostate protruding all the way into my bladder. I am only doing the GL procedure because I get blocked at night, and wake up with pain and only go a few ounces at a time. I may still get up at night to go after the GL, but I'm hoping it will just be a couple of times a night. In theory, the more I can go at each time, the less often I will go, and the small output and retention should hopefully cease.
art wrote:
My doctor wants to do this procedure on me.Bladder does not void properly but he says my prostate is small like less than 30cc but he says it is cusing obstruction.If my prostate is small why will cleaning out tissue help? Just curious if anyone knows.
Bud Reveley

Los Angeles, CA

#45 Jun 23, 2012
Marc wrote:
I'm 65 as well so I hope it lasts the duration :-) Otherwise I really don't know. I would imagine in another 5 years or so they'll have something even more amazing so I'm not worried about it. My friend who is 78 had his done for the first time on the same day I had mine and he is feeling great as well. I'm sure it has to do with how much material they remove. Watching the youtube video was an eye opener. It has everything to do with the guy at the other end of the tool as far as how big a space he makes. If you haven't seen it do a search on button turp. There are a few videos to watch.
Marc
I am 77 with a high score for BPH. I am considering the Plasma button and wondered if you could tell me who you used as a doctor? I am in Newport Beach. Not sure how this forum works and if you have my internet address.
Bud Reveley

Los Angeles, CA

#46 Jun 23, 2012
Looking for a Urologist in Newport Beach trained on the plasma button.
Bud Reveley

Los Angeles, CA

#47 Jun 23, 2012
Marc wrote:
I feel compelled to write this. I read all the forums before having button turp done last week and I had prepared myself for all the inevitable side effects that I had read about. I have to tell you that since waking up from the surgery 8 days ago I have experienced absolutely no pain or discomfort from the surgery AT ALL. Nothing. I stayed overnight in the hospital during which they gave me 2 Vicodin 10 pills. That was the last pain killer I had. I went home the next day with a 3 port cath which is a big motha and annoying. They left it in for a week and pulled it out yesterday. I immediately starting peeing gushers which actually shocked me the first time I went. Other than a bit of blood and the characteristic "feeling" at the end of the pee I have no other symptoms. I got up once last night only. No urgency, spasms (I already had stocked up on anti-spasm meds unnecessarily), accidents, nothing. Its a damn miracle. So, if you're thinking about getting this done and are nervous based on things you've read please know that having problems is not necessarily the case. There is at least one other guy on here with nothing but rave reviews. Mostly forum participants are those having problems and looking for help but there are probably even more guys like me that have had zero complaints. The only bitch I have is that I didn't do it sooner :-)
Marc
Who was your surgeon. I'm in Newport Beach
Bud Reveley

Los Angeles, CA

#48 Jun 24, 2012
Marc wrote:
I feel compelled to write this. I read all the forums before having button turp done last week and I had prepared myself for all the inevitable side effects that I had read about. I have to tell you that since waking up from the surgery 8 days ago I have experienced absolutely no pain or discomfort from the surgery AT ALL. Nothing. I stayed overnight in the hospital during which they gave me 2 Vicodin 10 pills. That was the last pain killer I had. I went home the next day with a 3 port cath which is a big motha and annoying. They left it in for a week and pulled it out yesterday. I immediately starting peeing gushers which actually shocked me the first time I went. Other than a bit of blood and the characteristic "feeling" at the end of the pee I have no other symptoms. I got up once last night only. No urgency, spasms (I already had stocked up on anti-spasm meds nnecessarily), accidents, nothing. Its a damn miracle. So, if you're thinking about getting this done and are nervous based on things you've read please know that having problems is not necessarily the case. There is at least one other guy on here with nothing but rave reviews. Mostly forum participants are those having problems and looking for help but there are probably even more guys like me that have had zero complaints. The only bitch I have is that I didn't do it sooner :-)
Marc
Would you please share your doctors name? Send to [email protected] Thanks
Bruce

Richland, WA

#49 Aug 26, 2012
From reading through the posts, I don't see any mention of retrograde ejaculation. Is it the experience of most people that they end up with retrograde? Thanks.
Marc

Ewa Beach, HI

#50 Aug 26, 2012
I definitely have RE. At first it bummed me out but now it really doesn't make much difference. I've heard that most experience it after this procedure. Between not having RE and not peeing I'd take the RE any day of the week :-)

Marc
Captain92

Yakima, WA

#51 Aug 26, 2012
I saw that that might be a side effect but I haven't notice anything. Tool working fine.
jayp

Palm Bay, FL

#52 Aug 27, 2012
Bruce wrote:
From reading through the posts, I don't see any mention of retrograde ejaculation. Is it the experience of most people that they end up with retrograde? Thanks.
Bruce, I had RE before the button plasma turp due to taking Rapaflo( one of the known side effects). A few months after the surgery I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the RE had disappeared. That's only one data point. Don't know what others have experienced. I have to tell you that i was more concerned with a large number of potential serious collateral type damages experienced by the majority of guys who had the green light lasers. The probability of collateral damage provided by my surgeon was sufficiently low to convince me to go for it. I'm sure as in all cases the skill and experience of the surgeon can make all the difference in the world.My experience post surgery is described in previous posts. I'm 7 months post surgery and per my surgeon's prediction I'm finally seeing a big reduction in number of times getting up in the night. It's down to one time. The longer you wait and the older you are the longer it takes for your bladder to return to normal.
HowardB

Vancouver, Canada

#53 Sep 3, 2012
I had a plasma Button done in Vancouver, Canada, and the results are amazing. The catheter was taken out 15 hours later and my first void was a large stream with proper shutoff. There was some blood. There was slight burning for the first three days when the flow started. I was not on pain medication, have no pain and my routine was back to normal within a week. I want to cycle after 10 days but the Dr. says wait 3 weeks. The best part was I ejaculated on the 8th day after the procedure and I am not shooting blanks. Only issue now after 10 days is the sexual activity must have caused some trauma as I had blood in my urine. I was supposed to wait 2 weeks for sex.
NFC

United States

#54 Sep 21, 2012
Had procedure 10th Sept. in surgery center. Went home with a Cather for 4 days. Was so glad to get the cather out. I kept trying to stop up. (drink lots of water is what the Dr. Said. ) took Cipro for 6 days. Hardly no pain except for Cather when it would plug up. Day 11 today. Good stream. Urination getting less frequent. Small amounts of blood at start of stream. Very pleased so far.
HowardB

Vancouver, Canada

#55 Sep 28, 2012
I am fully normal now, including intercourse. NO pain, riding bike,etc...

Since: Oct 12

Boise, ID

#56 Oct 17, 2012
Just wanted to comment briefly on the catheter after surgery. I had the procedure October 2 and am doing pretty well. My urologist insisted I leave the cath in for five days. I resisted mightily, but I'm glad I listened and did it. Here's what I think his reasoning is: the cath they place after the procedure is pretty large (maybe 3/8" outside diameter). This makes it pretty uncomfortable, but also it allows for large clots and chunks of tissue to pass through from your bladder without creating blockage. I noticed a few of those during the five days. I would not argue with a urologist who insists upon this protocol. By the way, all is well at this point.

Since: Mar 12

Richland, WA

#57 Oct 17, 2012
I guess I had mine for 4 days. (Surgery done on March 9) They had it set up pretty good with a taped on pad on my thigh that kept it from getting jerked around. And a short hose and bag for traveling. I did go out to dinner a few times with no problems. Got it out and then had some meat come out with no problem except for the surprise of it. That was about 3-4 week out. Now I like to go where the old men are at the urinals and just show off. haha. It's great.
Waggera

Sanibel, FL

#58 Oct 23, 2012
Hi guys - great forum for fellow sufferers. I need some help & related experiences.

Had my same day, Plasma surgery 8 days ag - taking Flomax & Cipro - catheter removed after 2 days - usual bits & blood clots passed. Self cathing now for past 6 days. Seem to be almost free of blood in Cath stream.

My problem : can't urinate on my own yet not even a dribble .

How much longer before sphincter muscles relax ?
Would love to pee freely ?

Looking for a few wise words of wisdom

TIA
Captain92

Puyallup, WA

#59 Oct 23, 2012
Don't know how much wisdom I can give but it sounds like there is something blocking the tube. Was self cath prescribed from the beginning? Haven't heard any body doing that right after a turp. You are seeing stuff coming out with the cath so a flap of issue blocking? Did you have trouble before the turp? Sorry for no real answers.
rockman

Orlando, FL

#60 Oct 27, 2012
jayp. Who was your doctor. Thanks Rockman

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Should Gerard Depardieu Have Worn Adult Diapers... (Aug '11) Thu kirton 2
News Mississauga cancer survivor lights up his house... Thu do they live here 8
Cayenne Pepper seems to have cured my prostate ... (Mar '08) Jan 11 Richard Arnolds 170
PVP GreenLight Laser Treatment (Jan '07) Dec '16 Richard 698
News The 10 commandments of cancer prevention (May '09) Dec '16 Trying to be hopeful 36
prostate pain at night? (Jan '11) Nov '16 anon196522 37
Find a cure for chronic prostatitis Nov '16 harry003 2
More from around the web