Plasma button surgery for BPH

Since: Mar 12

Yakima, WA

#21 Mar 27, 2012
Working on week 3 since surgery. Urge to pee comes on fast and I am trying to hold it as long as I can. Leads to some leakage. Found that Kotex pads work well for me to contain any leakage. Still bleeding some and show clots once and awhile. But all in all I guess everything is going well. I wish the bleeding would stop but at least it hasn't increased any.
Gary Willers

United States

#22 Apr 4, 2012
Can you tell me if there is a place in Nebraska that does the plasma button surgery?

Yakima, WA

#23 Apr 5, 2012
Sorry, can't help with Nebraska.Should be able to check local uroligist (sp) or call the hospital to see if they do it I would think. Week 4, gaining control. Went to a conference in Portland OR this week and was worried about a sudden urge to go while traveling. Didn't happen. Traveled normally and all week in the meetings everything went well. Still wearing a "kotex" pad but probably for not much longer. Still bleeding a little, mostly shows when I start to pee and then clears out. I will give it another week or two before I call the Dr. Not getting worse or better on the bleeding. Just wish it would stop. Not going to have sex until it does.
9Lifer

United States

#24 Apr 11, 2012
I had the button procedure 14 days ago. Catheter for first day. Released from hospital 2nd day. Slight rosy tinge for a few days at beginning then it stopped for a few days. After a week I started to get a rosy tinge a few times during the beginning but mostly clear then cleared up for a few days. This last weekend (10 days after surgery) the rosey tinge returned and I started passing small solid bloody clots (scabs?). Also some discomfort and burning at end of urinating h Will see urologist in two days for post op checkup and will ask if this is normal. Not returning to work until this clears up.

Richland, WA

#25 Apr 11, 2012
Turp button on March 9 so this is week 5. Bleeding slowing down to hardly nothing. Getting control of the urges. Sleeping up to four hours between stops at night. Everything returning to "normal". Did through a pretty good clot or scab the other night. Impressed me. The odd thing is I had some dental work done yesterday and they wanted me to take Ibuprofen in doses larger than I usually do, three tablets instead of my usual one when I have a headache. I declined three and took one about every four hours. Now today I'm bleeding a bit more. I think that's expected with Ibuprofen since it's a blood thinner sort of. Corrections expected and excepted. I know it's hard on stomachs. Other than that, I'm happy with everything.

Richland, WA

#26 Apr 11, 2012
9Lifer wrote:
I had the button procedure 14 days ago. Catheter for first day. Released from hospital 2nd day. Slight rosy tinge for a few days at beginning then it stopped for a few days. After a week I started to get a rosy tinge a few times during the beginning but mostly clear then cleared up for a few days. This last weekend (10 days after surgery) the rosey tinge returned and I started passing small solid bloody clots (scabs?). Also some discomfort and burning at end of urinating h Will see urologist in two days for post op checkup and will ask if this is normal. Not returning to work until this clears up.
Yup, I had the same feeling at the end of urinating. Also an urge to "crap my pants". All this was about week 2 and 3 but it gets a lot better. At least it did for me. Hang in there. You were in overnight? Wow lucky. Nice rest? I went in at 9 and out at 630. Cath for 5 days. Good stream and happy with the results so far.
Ronnie

Lewisville, TX

#27 Apr 15, 2012
Day 10 post-op - except for blood trace in urine still, have wonderful results - very strong flow - last night went almost 8 hours without need to pee - checkup last week showed only 15ml residual - am THRILLED - long time coming...

Leading up to procedure needed to self-cath 487 times in the 5 months or so period that led up the surgery - at one point retained 853ml AFTER urinating - had bad retention to say the least - that's what started the need to self-cath - my doctor was smart/conservative and we worked to keep my bladder non-distended - that proved worth it - big time...

My prostate (bph) had grown in such a way as to interfere with my bladder and of ourse my urethra - my prostate acted like a cut off valve - as soon as my bladder got any volume in it say over 300ml, it would essentially cantilever my prostate and cut off the outflow - hence the need to self-cath...

Post-surgery wore cath for a four days until early hours Monday and took it out at home per doctors instructions - then hit the fluids hard - 20oz every 30 minutes - after 100oz and almost 4 hours, the flood gates opened and began peering every 10-15 minutes for a couple hours - that was a glorious time let me tell you...

No burning ever, no leaking, no pain, no accidents - plenty cool-aide colored pee that's for sure - very normal functioning - time in between peeing has steadily increased - like I mentioned earlier, last night almost 8 hours interval which is amazing considering prior to surgery was waking up twice overnight to an alarm to self-cath and keep my bladder empty !!!

I am so thankful for this procedure, the technology, the caregivers and my Lord Jesus Christ for healing me...
NJRetiree

Lakewood, NJ

#28 Apr 16, 2012
Congratulations Ronnie! It's great to hear a successful outcome like yours is possible. Thanks for posting.

Richland, WA

#29 Apr 16, 2012
Glad everythings working Ronnie. Sounds like another success story.
Week 5+. Still see a little color but not much. One morning there was a big surprise. Started to pee and it stopped. Thought that was funny, there is usually more then BAM! Hit the back of the toilet seat because I wasn't aiming in the bowl, and out popped the biggest clot I had had yet. Along with the rest of the pee. Well it wasn't a clot but a piece of the prostate as big as the end of my thumb.(did a comparision). I thought that the button plasma vaporized all the tissue but apparently not. No bad effects of the sudden discharge afterwords. Glad it didn't get hung up in there. Bathroom cleaned again. All in all everythings fine.

Richland, WA

#30 Apr 23, 2012
Going into week 7, "All" systems working. No bleeding. Only thing is the sudden onset of the need to pee and a small leakage problem trying to hold it back. Training issues I guess. Other than that it looks like everything is back to normal. Probably the last post unless something changes. Good luck guys. It's worth it.
Ronnie

Lewisville, TX

#31 Apr 23, 2012
Ronnie wrote:
Day 10 post-op - except for blood trace in urine still, have wonderful results - very strong flow - last night went almost 8 hours without need to pee - checkup last week showed only 15ml residual - am THRILLED - long time coming...
Leading up to procedure needed to self-cath 487 times in the 5 months or so period that led up the surgery - at one point retained 853ml AFTER urinating - had bad retention to say the least - that's what started the need to self-cath - my doctor was smart/conservative and we worked to keep my bladder non-distended - that proved worth it - big time...
My prostate (bph) had grown in such a way as to interfere with my bladder and of ourse my urethra - my prostate acted like a cut off valve - as soon as my bladder got any volume in it say over 300ml, it would essentially cantilever my prostate and cut off the outflow - hence the need to self-cath...
Post-surgery wore cath for a four days until early hours Monday and took it out at home per doctors instructions - then hit the fluids hard - 20oz every 30 minutes - after 100oz and almost 4 hours, the flood gates opened and began peering every 10-15 minutes for a couple hours - that was a glorious time let me tell you...
No burning ever, no leaking, no pain, no accidents - plenty cool-aide colored pee that's for sure - very normal functioning - time in between peeing has steadily increased - like I mentioned earlier, last night almost 8 hours interval which is amazing considering prior to surgery was waking up twice overnight to an alarm to self-cath and keep my bladder empty !!!
I am so thankful for this procedure, the technology, the caregivers and my Lord Jesus Christ for healing me...
UPDATE: Day 18 - down to the slightest to no blood trace at all - several days ago realized that I could pee less forcefully and not as disruptive to the healing - there has been dramatic
Marc

Ewa Beach, HI

#32 May 18, 2012
I feel compelled to write this. I read all the forums before having button turp done last week and I had prepared myself for all the inevitable side effects that I had read about. I have to tell you that since waking up from the surgery 8 days ago I have experienced absolutely no pain or discomfort from the surgery AT ALL. Nothing. I stayed overnight in the hospital during which they gave me 2 Vicodin 10 pills. That was the last pain killer I had. I went home the next day with a 3 port cath which is a big motha and annoying. They left it in for a week and pulled it out yesterday. I immediately starting peeing gushers which actually shocked me the first time I went. Other than a bit of blood and the characteristic "feeling" at the end of the pee I have no other symptoms. I got up once last night only. No urgency, spasms (I already had stocked up on anti-spasm meds unnecessarily), accidents, nothing. Its a damn miracle. So, if you're thinking about getting this done and are nervous based on things you've read please know that having problems is not necessarily the case. There is at least one other guy on here with nothing but rave reviews. Mostly forum participants are those having problems and looking for help but there are probably even more guys like me that have had zero complaints. The only bitch I have is that I didn't do it sooner :-)

Marc
NJRetiree

Lakewood, NJ

#33 May 18, 2012
Marc,
Glad to hear the surgery and after effects were good for you. I wonder if you have some idea on how long it is supposed to last. People I know my age (65+) who have had a turp or greenlight generally have problems again within 5 years. Of course the urologists say it lasts 15 years or so, but they told me the TUMT would last 3-5 years, and it lasted about a year.
Marc

Ewa Beach, HI

#34 May 18, 2012
I'm 65 as well so I hope it lasts the duration :-) Otherwise I really don't know. I would imagine in another 5 years or so they'll have something even more amazing so I'm not worried about it. My friend who is 78 had his done for the first time on the same day I had mine and he is feeling great as well. I'm sure it has to do with how much material they remove. Watching the youtube video was an eye opener. It has everything to do with the guy at the other end of the tool as far as how big a space he makes. If you haven't seen it do a search on button turp. There are a few videos to watch.

Marc
Captain92

Yakima, WA

#35 May 18, 2012
That's great Marc. I hear you bro. Your surgery mirrors mine, except I didn't get to stay over night. It was worth it. I am now 2 months plus since surgery and am back to running and riding my bike. The urges are getting less urgent and the leakage has pretty much stopped. The flow is great. Usually four hours at night before I hit the head. Sounds like you are doing great and it only gets better.

Since: May 12

Astoria, NY

#36 May 20, 2012
Hello Gentlemen,

I had this procedure (Button Plasma) done on me this past Wednesday (May 16, 2012, at Beth Israel Medical Center in NYC (personal, I hate Beth Israel, but that's for a different discussion).

My doctor, believes in sending patients home with the a catheter (foley?) just for a day. So Friday morning about 10am, I went to his office and had it taken out.

I got home and about 12pm, I managed to urinate on my own, with some blood coming out but not a big deal since he said that would happen.

Incidentally, I was peeing clear in the bag when I had the catheter in place (bloody the first few bags but by Friday it was totally clear)

So having urinated at 12pm, my next time is when I ran into BIG trouble. At about 5pm when I attempted to pee I could not.

I remember the doctor saying that I would have urges to go, when I really did not have to go, and to try and ignore that.

So I wasn't too upset at 5pm. I chalked it up to just an urge.

Let me now, add in a little personal story.

My father died of prostrate cancer, so I had watch him deal with these catheters, and I remember one day when he did not happen to have a catheter in place and he had to pee and could not. He went crazy ape sh*t on me. I had to race him to his doctors office in hollowing pain! Screaming at me, and screaming over stuff (just too personal to put here). He got to the doctor and they put the catheter in and he smiled.

That left a very BIG and BAD impression in my mind.

So now I had to add to my list of 'fears' which there was only one, spiders, now I added 'catheters'.

And of course, I've been running from them ever since. Once when I was in the hospital I need to have a catheter put in for a procedure and the person that performed the procedure did it wrong, they used the wrong size hosing and he did not give me anything for the pain not even some lubricant.

So of course, I screamed bloody murder.

Needless to say, with my father's vision in my head and this procedure with the catheter done incorrectly, I have been totally fearful of catheters ever since.

But of course, done correctly it is tolerable.

OK, back to my story:

So at 5pm not going, not too concerned, but by 7pm, I was screaming in pain not being able to take a piss. I kept trying and trying hard.

I finally put in a call to the doctor and since he did not call me right back, and having my guts feel like they were coming out of me.

I called 911!

Well, by the time EMS got there, as they were at the door, I finally pushed so hard that some urine finally came out.

The doctor called and said, why did I wait so long to call 911?

I said, because you told me they were only urges not real.

So we talked and I said I would not go to the hospital to put another catheter back in.

But because I only have a few characters left, I will have to continue this story in another post.

I am not finished with my story, it does continue.

And in the end, I will ask for your advise!

Rob

Since: May 12

Astoria, NY

#37 May 20, 2012
So back to my story from the previous message I posted.

On Saturday morning, after having a great sleep for really the first time in years, I went to the bathroom for my morning urination.

I was able to push urine out of me until I went to bed at 11pm. But it was flowing in a very thin narrow stream which I had to push very hard to accomplish.

The doctor stated that he opened me up so that a Mac Truck could drive thru!

So why was my urine stream so thin and why did I have to push so hard?

In the morning, when I attempted to urinate, nothing was happening.

I know I was totally full, I had to be, I'm diabetic and I know what happens in the morning.

I relaxed and wasn't in pain just yet.

To keep this story from boring you I will try now to cut to the chase and wrap it up.

I got dressed, I managed to take my dog (Dylan) out for his morning bathroom needs.

I talked to my neighbor and I talked to my caring cousin.

I had decided it was time to get my self to the hospital and have yet another wonder catheter placed inside me.

I went to a local hospital, which is known for 'you walk in but you don't walk out', but surprisingly this time around it turned out OK.

I attribute that to my walking in and remaining as calm as possible and saying to the clerk:'I need a catheter and if it's not done quickly, I will be a screaming lunatic'.

It took about 2 hours (very good time for an emergency room) to get the catheter back in.

I filled up the bigger sized bag with about 1 1/2 coke cola bottles worth. A very larger sum of urine to be holding.

I was sent home with the smaller leg strapped bag with a cool value to get the urine out.

So now I wait until tomorrow morning to run to the doctors office to have this taken out.

So now my questions to everyone here:

Why am I having trouble urinating? Is it blood clots, is it mental? Why am I having so much trouble getting the urine out if as the doctor states 'you could drive a Mac Truck up my ureter (spelling?)'.

I haven't read every single post here, but you all seem to be urinating perfectly fine after the operation (procedure)?

I welcome and need your thoughts on this!

Thank you!

Rob

PS After tomorrows visit, I will up date my story, just in case you are interested.
Captain92

United States

#38 May 20, 2012
I have heard of blood clots and pieces of the removed material blocking the tube. A friend had a clot and had another cath put in. Similar story to yours. I guess every dr. is different. I cathed for 4 days. Had some clots come out but didn't stop the flow at all. If you read my comment above I did have a quick stoppage than blew out a piece of material. It's possible you have you have something like that going on. A small stream shouldn't happen. Keep us informed as to what happens please.
NJRetiree

Lakewood, NJ

#39 May 20, 2012
Rob,
I haven't had this procedure so I can't comment on the cause of your retention, althoughfrom the experience of others I have read, it could be pieces of prostate, or something in the bladder like stones, or something to do with the bladder neck.
I have a very enlarged prostate, and my bladder flares up and sometimes I have a good stream and sometimes a thin one. Sometimes I pee every 20 minutes, and sometimes I get temporary retention for 10 minutes or so after sleeping on my right side. It's a real mystery that doesn't seem to conform to the simple model of a large opening = good stream, a small one = thin stream. If that were correct wouldn't the size of the stream remain constant? I have a feeling it has more to do with the bladder than the prostate alone.
But the reason I am reponding is that after having to drive to the ER in severe pain and having 1400 ml. of urine drain into a foley catheter a couple of years ago I researched online and bought my own single use sterile caths (No 12 French)online that come with a 500 ml. bag with 100 ml. markings, and learned to catheterize myself from an online tutorial. Many people learn to self cath andfor me it removes all the fear and pain of retention. I have only had to use the caths a half dozen times in the last two years, but the relief was priceless as the amount of time between pain and relief was just a few minutes.
Incidentally, I also bought the iodine swabs and a couple of No. 14 foleys (I had to use one) and extra bags and some cath lubricant online. Then I got my uro to write me a prescription for a dozen single use lidocaine plungers which I got at the pharmacy.
Also it's easy to remove the foley yourself, just cut the short tube that drains the water that fills the balloon that anchors the foley in your bladder. Once the water drainsfrom the cut short tube the foley can be gently removed. But when I did that after my TUMT procedure I had another foley ready, and had to insert it myself about 12 hours later.
Do give us an update on your progress.
NJRetiree

Lakewood, NJ

#40 May 20, 2012
P.S. For anyone who self caths the first time it is a bit tricky as you have to gently push past some resistence at the prostate, and then gently push past the resistence at the bladder neck. There is a bit of pain at each point - not much but some. The thing that amazed me the most was that I had to insert the catheter almost all the way to the hilt (about 13 inches) to get past the bladder neck. I had no idea there was so much plumbing from my groin to the bladder.
The other thing I learned after my first attempt was aborted, was my right hand had to stay dry and free of lubricant or I wouldn't be able to hold the cath firm enough to push it in. It was like pushing jello. After a short break I tried again with a new cath and a dry hand and I was trained in self cathing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GreenLight Laser Surgery Complications (May '07) May 21 Erknok88 1,458
News Identifying and Treating BPH (Mar '12) May 1 Dorian 31
News Black Men at Greater Risk for Prostate Cancer: ... Apr 26 SadButTrue 10
prostate pain at night? (Jan '11) Feb '17 Hello 38
Managing Urinary Incontinence After Prostatecto... (Jun '11) Jan '17 williedynomite 20
News Should Gerard Depardieu Have Worn Adult Diapers... (Aug '11) Jan '17 kirton 2
News Mississauga cancer survivor lights up his house... Jan '17 do they live here 7
More from around the web