Plasma button surgery for BPH

Posted in the Prostate Cancer Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Jayp

Polk City, FL

#1 Dec 17, 2011
Has anybody had the plasma button procedure and encountered complications? Am scheduled to have it done in Jan and woould love to hear positive or negative experiences.
AlO

Plano, TX

#2 Jan 4, 2012
I had it done two weeks ago. I left the hospital without a catheter but did have some bleeding for a while afterwards. The main thing is to take it easy for a while and let it heal. It is still too soon to give you more details on how successful it was.
JayP

Polk City, FL

#3 Jan 4, 2012
OK, thanks for the response. I'm tentatively set up for the 16th of this month.Best of luck to a speedy and full recuperation.
AlO

Plano, TX

#4 Jan 14, 2012
Went for three week post op yesterday. Haven't had any bleeding for a while, urine retention was 3ml, which is about as good as it can get. Didn't measure the flow, but it is improved. Still some discomfort at the end of the urine stream, but diminishing and dr said it will stop. Dr said to not do anything too strenuous (like heavy lifting).
JayP

Polk City, FL

#5 Jan 14, 2012
That's good news. Glad to hear that there haven't been any serious complications. If you read on the green light complications topic, there are lots of guys with "irritating symptoms" that go on and on. I'm going in Monday for the plasma button turp. Will post my experience and prelim results within a few days hopefully.
JayP

Polk City, FL

#6 Jan 28, 2012
Had the button plasma surgery 16Jan2012.90cc prostate took about an hour. Was scheduled to be released from hospital the next day without a catheter but had some heart issues which kept me in for an extra day. Went home the second day without a catheter. Three days after the surgery my urine was yellow,i.e. no blood which surprised me since I had been on a blood thinner. Urinations for the next 10 days have been uncomfortable burning with greater frequency and urgency. As of 28 Jan the burning is mostly gone, frequency and urgency are improving.Dr said it will take many months for the bladder to adjust to the new open channel.Will post after first post op meeting with Dr.
AlO

Plano, TX

#7 Feb 1, 2012
Sounds good. I was able to leave the hospital the same day with no catheter, which I was happy about. The days after I had the procedure I almost constantly felt like I needed to go. That went away after a little while however. My prostate was only around 65cc a couple days prior to having it done.

I had my 6 week checkup yesterday (a couple days early). No measurable urine retention. I find that I don't get up much at night any more but still some discomfort (can't call it a burning sensation) at the end of urine stream, not during. Dr said to take Advil or Aleve anti inflammatory drugs. I had blood in my urine for several weeks after the procedure but found that I was aggravating the situation - I was sitting on the floor in front of the TV playing a video game and I guess the position I was in affected it. When I stopped that the bleeding ceased.

Post the info from your next follow up.
JayP

Palm Bay, FL

#8 Feb 24, 2012
Had my one month check up last week. Nothing unusual. Dr says it will take up to 6 months for the bladder to adjust to the new lack of resistance and to develop new habits. Have not had any signs of blood in the urine since the fourth day after the surgery. Burning disappeared after the third week and I quit the pyridium medicine. I still have urgency which the Dr says will go away in time. Frequency is a little less than before the surgery but that too will change as the bladder adjusts. I'm sleeping a lot better than i used to. Still getting up in the night 2 or sometimes 3 times depending on fluid intake. After the second time up I'm going into a deep sleep like I hadn't had in years. All in all, I'm happy with the results. I postponed surgery for over 16 years waiting for something better than the classical TURP or Green Light Laser. I think we found a better solution. My surgeon said he used to do green light but switched to the button plasma TURP when he sensed a potential for a major improvement in irritative symptoms and the ability to do larger prostate volumes.
JpS

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Feb 26, 2012
Had plasma button feb 21st. Procedure went well, told to wear cat for 5 days. Mostly blood in urine day of and half day after procedure, I read recovery takes time but not getting to gym is going to hurt . Can anyone give me idea how long b4 I could start to lift or at least cardio again.
Tomorrow get cat off and ill see what happens.
Thanks for any info.
JayP

Palm Bay, FL

#10 Feb 27, 2012
Dr told me to wait 4 weeks after surgery for elliptical trainer and 5 weeks for weight training & having sex.
JpS

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#11 Feb 29, 2012
The days without cat. Dr says I could return to gym small amount of exercise. Tried tonite doing treadmill but felt bladder was uncomfortable-like the need to urinate-so stopped. SOme burning sensation after urination.
Suppose to go back work Monday-but still not sure comfortable. Anyone can tell me how long before returning back and being comfortable?
Oh, had first accident,couldnt hold myself and pants didn't come down fast enough.thank god in own home.
Thanks for reply, can't wait ti try sex and see where that goes.lol
JayP

Palm Bay, FL

#12 Feb 29, 2012
JpS,
Every situation is probably different but in my case it took a good two weeks before most of the control returned. During that time I had to stay pretty close to a bathroom.I had my share of accidents and wore Depends during the first 10 days.I also carried a urinal in my vehicle for emergency pit stops during weeks2-3. Eventually, you return to normalcy.
JCJ

Flower Mound, TX

#13 Mar 1, 2012
Just had the procedure done late Monday (Feb 27) and catheter remove early next morning. Bleeding decreased some and was released from hospital by 2:30. Went home and had a scare. Guess I had a blood clot get wedged in there and I couldn't urinate! Really scraed me and the Dr wanted to meet me at his office to "fix" it! One last try before we left and a couple of clots came out and I was back in business. By Tuesday evening the bleeding was almost completely gone and the stream had improved. The one thing I have been concerned about is the burning sensation when I urinate. The feeling has remainedconstant and after ready some of these posts I understand that this is normal. Whew! Bladder control has been fine and so far no accidents, just a little drible! I'm very pleased with the results and will do everything the Dr orders just to make sure I don't have to go thru anything like that again!
JpS

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#14 Mar 2, 2012
Day 11. Some burning after urination. Stream not very strong but constant-still traces of blood while urination.
Suppose to start work again Monday but don't feel omfortable being confined to desk for 10 hrs and far from bathroom. I only just removed cat Monday.
Dr says had prostate stones which he removed. I read supplements are available to help not form continuing problem. Have to look into it- has anyone?

How long b4 anyone thinks about returning back to desk job (10 x 4 shift)?
JpS

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Mar 6, 2012
Day 14. Still burning sensation after void, slight bleeding, but after void getting slight sensation in rectal area. Is this unusally, dr giving me cipro and something for burning today

Not comfortable sitting mostly sleeping on stomach or side.
Will see if diff next few days
NJRetiree

Lakewood, NJ

#16 Mar 6, 2012
If you are taking cipro it sounds like it's for a urinary tract infection, which will cause burning, especially at the end of urine stream. When I had my UTI after a cysto a few months ago, I bought a container of 100 urine reagent test strips (10 parameter including blood and markers for infection, ph, etc.) The strips cost $20 for the 100 pack on Amazon, and I was able to monitor my own infection instead of waiting for a doctor's appointment. Takes a few seconds to pee in a paper cup in the morning, and dip the strip, and compare it to the color chart on the bottle.
JpS wrote:
Day 14. Still burning sensation after void, slight bleeding, but after void getting slight sensation in rectal area. Is this unusally, dr giving me cipro and something for burning today
Not comfortable sitting mostly sleeping on stomach or side.
Will see if diff next few days
JpS

United States

#17 Mar 8, 2012
Well taking cipro and pyridum for burning and sensation, the first dose of the pill I dont know what it was but I was in the bathroom every 5minutes voiding and this went on for a few hrs.

By nite it got better and I was able to get sleep, not sure what pill did it.
Today, on both pills again. It's two days pf pyridum and 3 days cirpo.

Has anyone had the same results with this pill. I been on cipro b4 and never had that experience'. Hoping this procedure was worth it.
JayP

Palm Bay, FL

#18 Mar 12, 2012
JpS wrote:
Well taking cipro and pyridum for burning and sensation, the first dose of the pill I dont know what it was but I was in the bathroom every 5minutes voiding and this went on for a few hrs.
By nite it got better and I was able to get sleep, not sure what pill did it.
Today, on both pills again. It's two days pf pyridum and 3 days cirpo.
Has anyone had the same results with this pill. I been on cipro b4 and never had that experience'. Hoping this procedure was worth it.
I was on pyridium for 3 weeks after my button plasma TURP.It helped with the burning. During the first week I was getting up every 15 minutes for the first 4 hours. It got progressively better to the point that I'm only getting up 1 or 2 times and sleeping much better.

Since: Mar 12

Yakima, WA

#19 Mar 17, 2012
I had mine done on Friday March 9. No problem at all so far. Tube came out on Tuesday. How long does it bleed. Looks like pink lemonade and at the end of urination the last drops are blood. This happen to anyone else? What position should I be in to help recovery? Pretty much laying on the couch watching netflix since the operation.
jps

United States

#20 Mar 21, 2012
Sitting not good. Its been 4weeks and sitting long periods painful. I think everything else is coming along. Its a process. Just hope retention isn't problem. Flying in may to Hawaii but might stop in Calif bc long flights would always put me in retention. Has anyone else experience any problems with air traffic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
green light laser side effects (Sep '15) Jul 13 redloam 18
prostate pain at night? (Jan '11) Jul 6 Anon1256 39
News Black Men at Greater Risk for Prostate Cancer: ... Jul 4 T-BOS 10
News Study on why BLACK men die from prostate cancer... Jun 22 SadButTrue 7
GreenLight Laser Surgery Complications (May '07) May '17 Erknok88 1,458
Managing Urinary Incontinence After Prostatecto... (Jun '11) Jan '17 williedynomite 20
News Should Gerard Depardieu Have Worn Adult Diapers... (Aug '11) Jan '17 kirton 2
More from around the web