GreenLight Laser Surgery Complications
MAN HAT TAN MAN

United States

#223 May 14, 2009
Geoff Frost wrote:
<quoted text>
Just to reassure some of the more negative (of which I understand) comments, it is almost one year since I had greenlight surgery. I had slight discomfort for the first few months but nothing desperate. Although my flow had greatly improved I was still getting up a few times during the night. Apparently this is due to the bladder still thinking it has a problem and I was told it would get better.
Well, I can only say that I'm now free of those nightly excursions and sleep all through the night without any problems and without any Flomax etc. Overall I now don't even think about my prostate and can pee as good as a 20yr old (I'm 66yr) It's wonderful to be able to go out for long periods without worrying where the nearest toilet might be. It's great to stand near to a youngster in public toilets and often finish my pee first! Before my surgery I used to go into toilet cubicles because my flow was so bad and I would feel embarrassed standing for ages at urinals. Greenlight has changed my life for the better and I would heartily recommend it, despite knowing that others have had problems.
Obviously you will have a great deal more of greenlight failures or complaints on these pages because people don't always bother to report when things go right. Best wishes to all those who are suffering and I hope your problems will soon cease.
Your post is reassuring to say the least. However, am I right in that your total recovery period was approximately one year? The problem I have had is that the doctor more or less minimizes the discomfort and aftermath of the surgery. I was all scheduled to have it until I looked at this discussion forum. I talked to the doctor again and he was significantly more forthcoming regarding the discomfort and hassle involved in the recovery. So I have elected to postpone the surgery indefinitely and opt for taking the meds, living with some difficulty urinating, and biding my time. I am taking Avodart which supposedly will shrink the damn prostate over time. Anyway, I am glad I found this forum and thank all of you for sharing.
Geoff UK

Ipswich, UK

#224 May 14, 2009
MAN HAT TAN MAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post is reassuring to say the least. However, am I right in that your total recovery period was approximately one year? The problem I have had is that the doctor more or less minimizes the discomfort and aftermath of the surgery. I was all scheduled to have it until I looked at this discussion forum. I talked to the doctor again and he was significantly more forthcoming regarding the discomfort and hassle involved in the recovery. So I have elected to postpone the surgery indefinitely and opt for taking the meds, living with some difficulty urinating, and biding my time. I am taking Avodart which supposedly will shrink the damn prostate over time. Anyway, I am glad I found this forum and thank all of you for sharing.
Thanks for reading my post. The actual recovery before I was 'completely' free of any problems was about six months. However even after a month I was experiencing great relief from what I had in the past. It was the nightly excursions that took about six months to disappear. Like I said in my original post I believe this is due to the bladder having to adjust. It still 'thinks' it has a problem and this takes time to go away.
I know reading the many negative posts would put anybody off, I can only say for me it has been a brilliant solution and I'm sure there must be many more positive laser cases otherwise I doubt whether the medical people would continue with it. Over here in the UK it has been elevated generally to become the gold standard for prostate ops, replacing the much more bloody and painful TURPS.
Dave

AOL

#225 May 15, 2009
After reading all of these negative posts, I asked my urologist to explain. Like the previous poster, he said he wouldn't do them if people had those longterm results. He also said that initially, there were lots of issues because they got too close to the bladder (with the laser) and caused lots of irritation to it. He said they have learned from their mistakes and now the complications are almost zero. I will let you know how I fare after June 4!
Neil

Arlington, TX

#226 May 15, 2009
Dave wrote:
After reading all of these negative posts, I asked my urologist to explain. Like the previous poster, he said he wouldn't do them if people had those longterm results. He also said that initially, there were lots of issues because they got too close to the bladder (with the laser) and caused lots of irritation to it. He said they have learned from their mistakes and now the complications are almost zero. I will let you know how I fare after June 4!
Good luck, Dave. My doctor has recommended Greenlight Laser Surgery. I wonder if I am too old? I am 71 but in very good health, active, etc.
He said that the BEP was not just going to go away and that I couldn't ignore it indefinitely. I was ready to go until I, like others, looked in on this discussion forum and read the horror stories. I hate Flomax (hate the dizziness and blurred vision). I am taking Avodart now but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I guess I will just have to take the plunge. I am interested in knowing how your surgery progresses. Again, good luck and thanks for the post.
Randy in Richardson

Arlington, TX

#227 May 16, 2009
I had my GreenLight surgery 3 weeks ago. I am peeing every 1.5 to 2.0 hours around the clock, with a lot of muscle spasm pain after each. Still some blood in urine, and leaking between times. Urgency has increased...less than 2 min from "need to go" to "start going". My Dr. says this is normal. Also, some severe constipation. I can only hope it gets better.
Neil in Dallas

United States

#228 May 16, 2009
Randy in Richardson wrote:
I had my GreenLight surgery 3 weeks ago. I am peeing every 1.5 to 2.0 hours around the clock, with a lot of muscle spasm pain after each. Still some blood in urine, and leaking between times. Urgency has increased...less than 2 min from "need to go" to "start going". My Dr. says this is normal. Also, some severe constipation. I can only hope it gets better.
Randy I am following your posts with interest. I have been pushing off having the GreenLight Surgery for several months now. I feel like a big chicken, and I know it is either have it done or live with these crappy meds (Flomax, Proscar, Avodars) and their side effects and still struggle with it too. I have faith in my surgeon but I bet most of the guys on here did too. Is your surgeon in the Dallas area and do you have a problem letting me know what hospital you used? I hope things improve for you and will follow your information with interest as I live in Dallas.
MAN HAT TAN MAN

United States

#229 May 20, 2009
Geoff UK wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for reading my post. The actual recovery before I was 'completely' free of any problems was about six months. However even after a month I was experiencing great relief from what I had in the past. It was the nightly excursions that took about six months to disappear. Like I said in my original post I believe this is due to the bladder having to adjust. It still 'thinks' it has a problem and this takes time to go away.
I know reading the many negative posts would put anybody off, I can only say for me it has been a brilliant solution and I'm sure there must be many more positive laser cases otherwise I doubt whether the medical people would continue with it. Over here in the UK it has been elevated generally to become the gold standard for prostate ops, replacing the much more bloody and painful TURPS.
Again, Geoff, I am very glad the surgery has worked so well for you. I had an appointment with a second urologist just this morning, and he said that -- given my current status and symptoms -- he would recommend that I delay the surgery. He said that surgeons are getting better and better almost by the day, and that complications are becomming less and less frequent. Since (as I have said) I am a chicken at heart, I have decided to go with the new doc and forget about the surgery until I have to have it. He did recommend that I add Saw Palmetto to my diet and that I continue taking the Avodart but that I could leave off the Flomax and Proscar to see how that worked. Anyway, thanks to you and to everyone for the info on here.(Might have spared me a lot of misery!)
Randy in Richardson

Arlington, TX

#230 May 23, 2009
Neil in Dallas wrote:
<quoted text>
Randy I am following your posts with interest. I have been pushing off having the GreenLight Surgery for several months now. I feel like a big chicken, and I know it is either have it done or live with these crappy meds (Flomax, Proscar, Avodars) and their side effects and still struggle with it too. I have faith in my surgeon but I bet most of the guys on here did too. Is your surgeon in the Dallas area and do you have a problem letting me know what hospital you used? I hope things improve for you and will follow your information with interest as I live in Dallas.
Email me at [email protected] for info
Randy
Randy in Richardson

Arlington, TX

#231 May 23, 2009
It will be 4 weeks Memorial Day since my surgery. No more constipation. Waking about 2 hours each time during the night to pee. That's getting better. Still passing blood and tissue, but the Dr said that would go on for a couple of months. Pain is gone. Now I'm just working on frequency. It's wonderful to not have to take all the drugs. I feel like I get better each week. Urine is normal color when sedentary, but after activity like walking or driving, blood appears. No pain, tho'.
Bob

Redwood City, CA

#232 May 27, 2009
Had gl 30 days ago. No more bleeding just lots of pain after I void, with some leaking. Does anyone know what is causing the pain that I feel through my urethra to the tip of the penis after voiding??? Thanks
Bob

Redwood City, CA

#233 May 27, 2009
yes, I have the same results extreme pain during urinasion. It last for about 4 to 5 minutes,from my prostate to the tip of the penis. Had GL 31 days ago. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. Everything else is cool, except when its time to pee! What the hell is happenning? How long is this going to last? Thanks, all the best!
Randy in Richardson

Plano, TX

#234 May 28, 2009
Bob wrote:
yes, I have the same results extreme pain during urinasion. It last for about 4 to 5 minutes,from my prostate to the tip of the penis. Had GL 31 days ago. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. Everything else is cool, except when its time to pee! What the hell is happenning? How long is this going to last? Thanks, all the best!
My Dr. says it's the bladder muscle spasm, since the bladder still thinks it has to force urine out. He said it will go away after a while. Mine lasts from a couple of seconds to 1 minute...makes my hands tingle. Good luck!
Peter Oslo Norway

Lysaker, Norway

#235 May 28, 2009
I had the surgery 4 weeks ago. Still can't pee!
Using disposable catheters but bleeding heavily!
I hope life improves soon.
V Grodner

United States

#236 Jun 7, 2009
Dr. Leif did my fathers surgery and he has had nothing but problems since! I think this surgery is a bunch of crap!
Steven wrote:
Dr Lief in Coral Springs, Fl had done over 300 Green Light Lasers. He is honest and diligent in performing the procedure which turned out very well for me.
CAM

Glencoe, IL

#237 Jun 7, 2009
Suffered for years with BPH.Numerous pills and scopes at the urologists.Flow finally got so slow I was in much discomfort,going often,and very little.In April had Greenlight. Very little bleeding,good flow after 3 days with cath.But the burning made me grind my teeth off when I pee'd.Had urine test,lab said no infection in urine so doc says "just grit it out"..yea right. I believe infection is in prostate itself. 7 weeks and I'm feeling like I could GO 24/7.I opted for drastic measures and thats what I got.I pray for better days. Thanks for letting me vent.
Bob

Redwood City, CA

#238 Jun 8, 2009
Its been 6 wks and still burning when urniating, maybe a little less.Seems to burn more when I go during the night forsome reason? Also feeling alot of lower back acking, don't know if that's part of the ordeal?? How about you guys???
paul in new york

Forest Hills, NY

#239 Jun 14, 2009
Robby wrote:
I am scheduled for the proceedure on the 23 with Jed Kaminetsky at the Gramercy Center in New York. Has anyone had any bad experiences at that center?
I am thinking of using Dr. Kaminetsky. How did it go? Thanks.
Neil in Dallas

United States

#240 Jun 16, 2009
After all I have read on here, I have decided not to have the surgery. At least not until I absolutely have to. I have decided to change urologists. When mine (a pretty noteworthy doctor here in Dallas) recommended this surgery, he made it sound slightly more involved than having a cavity filled. Thank God I found this forum. I am looking into another doctor right now and will be transferring all my records, etc., to him ASAP. Seems to me a big part of what is wrong here is the doc.
Bob

San Mateo, CA

#241 Jun 18, 2009
7 weeks now and taking urelle for the burning feeling in the penis when voiding. Feels alot better!!!!Wish I had it earlier. Ready to kick some butt on the golf course now. GL All.
David

Lytle Creek, CA

#242 Jun 21, 2009
I had the Greenlight laser procedure almost four weeks ago. Before I was treated, it took a very long time to urinate and I had to urinate every half-hour or so. After the procedure, I wore a catheter for six days and after removal, I was amazed at my stream. I urinated like I was in my thirties (I am 69 now). I passed a little blood for about twelve days, also passed some small bits of tissue that wasn't flushed out when I wore the catheter and used the small flush out device. I am so happy I had the surgery and at this time, am continuing to improve. A few times, my stream almost stopped, then started again. My doctor said this was normal for many men and after the prostate and bladder get back to normal after being having a swollen prostate several years, all should be well. My specialist I saw is considered one of the best in this field.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mississauga cancer survivor lights up his house... Jan 15 u never told about 7
Cayenne Pepper seems to have cured my prostate ... (Mar '08) Jan 11 Richard Arnolds 170
PVP GreenLight Laser Treatment (Jan '07) Dec '16 Richard 698
News The 10 commandments of cancer prevention (May '09) Dec '16 Trying to be hopeful 36
Plasma button surgery for BPH (Dec '11) Nov '16 wagmanp 211
prostate pain at night? (Jan '11) Nov '16 anon196522 37
Find a cure for chronic prostatitis Nov '16 harry003 2
More from around the web