PVP GreenLight Laser Treatment
Ray in Georgia

Douglas, GA

#144 Jan 29, 2008
I am 76 yrs and my urine was completely blocked for 4 mos. I wore a cath for those 4 mo. My cardic doc found me a uro for the green light. I am now 6 days after surg. I have had little pain, hardly any blood, cleared in 3 days. Wore a cath for 5 days. Urinating with a good stream and only getting up twice a night. I had my surg in Jacksonville Fla. My doc is Dr. Vashi at the McIver Clinic. He has 5 yrs of experience.I highly recommend him.
Henry in Austin

Round Rock, TX

#145 Feb 3, 2008
Ted: Check out http://www.delawareurologic.com/bph/ . Seems to be a well-balanced and straightforward explanation of the various options. Good luck with your decision.
Ted Sarasota Florida wrote:
I am 72 years old in fine health with the exception of a 55 gram prostate which has closed off my urethra, causing me to self cath every 6 hours or so. My bladder had to be drained in October as it had swelled to twice the normal size and 2 litres of urine were drained. My doctor has been waiting these months to make sure the bladder has returned to normal size before doing a procedure. My question is whether to do a TURP or the Green Light Laser Comments please. Thank you
Earl Charleston

Myrtle Beach, SC

#146 Feb 5, 2008
Tom in Charleston SC wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob,
I know what you mean about getting discouraged. When I was still bleeding and throwing clots after a month, I felt the same way.
About a month ago I told my Uro that my hope from the procedure was to reach a point where I could go through a 24-hour period without once thinking about my bladder. Last visit I told him I thought I was about 90% of the way to my goal.
Yesterday, for example, I left the office at lunch time, ran several errands, got a haircut, and returned to the office an hour and a half later without once having to find a restroom. Before I had the procedure, the same trip would have meant at least one and probably two restroom visits.
Best wishes for a successful recovery.
Tom
Tom,
Where did you have your procedure and who was your Dr. I am getting ready to have PVP the end of February.
Earl
GMP

United States

#147 Feb 8, 2008
CWW wrote:
Had the green light treatment 5 days ago. Got out of hospital after 23 hours. Lots of pain first night. Pain has subsided to large degree. Taking Pyridium to help with pain of urination. Now urinating 50 - 200 ccs about every hour or so. Interesting urgency pain...doen't subside after I empty...but does ease off a few minutes later. Taking some Hydrocodone. Had antibiotics first four days. Had a complication in which the Urologist accidently blocked both ureter orifices (where kidneys drain into bladder)..boy , I can't figure out how that happened. He then had another surgeon place stints in the orfices (going into my kidneys from the back)...stints are to come out in 3 weeks. Too early to tell if having the prodedure was a good decision. From what I read and have experienced it is a gamble...maybe 50/50 (?) that one will be better off. Problem seems to be that its hard to get info on the skill/experience of urologist....and independent of that...each person's problem is different.
CWW... if you are still checking this forum I'd like to know who your urologist was. I live in Austin, not far from you, and my urologist wants me to have the Green Light procedure. I'm doing as much research as I can about this and came across this forum. I just want to see if we have the same urologist because your experience with the procedure is quite disturbing.
Kevin in Virginia

Sterling, VA

#148 Feb 12, 2008
Well all, it has been 3 months for me to the day. I'll let you all know at the 6 month , 9 month, One year etc.
Mixed results. As I mentioned on a previous comment ASK more questions than I did. My urine flow is back strong, and I'm enjoying 2 to 3 cups of coffee again in the morning, without having to stay near a BR. I feel like I did in my 30's I suppose.(Not quite a teenager, but not like my pre-PVP age 50). I'm getting up still at least 1.5 times per night average.
I have the retro thing going on now since my about 3 weeks after the procedure, and the Doc says "probably won't come back"..."It happens to about 20% of us..
I'm improved, and slightly changed. But, guys I do stress sit down with your Dr. and have him go over the procedure and possible side effects,(short term & long term)
Otherwise no pain after sex, still a bit of burning at the start and stopping of peeing. I do pass a bit of small matter now and then, but it has almost no sensation.
Good luck to all.
Jay

Sagaponack, NY

#149 Feb 20, 2008
It's 7 months now. It seems the "popping" of the scar tissue and "alleve" has had very good results. I'm only waking up once during the night and urgency has lessened.

I have secured a new Urologist. I had to "chase" the old one and could not get knowlegable answers to certain questions concerning long term treatment of my prostatitis. I still feel there may be some scar tissue left. I will be "scoped" again next week. We'll see.

I recommend to those who are not satisfied with the results of the pvp laser surgery to always trust your instincts and if required seek out other medical evaluations. Remember the purpose of the procedure is to be able to urinate normally again!
Steve

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#150 Feb 20, 2008
To everyone: I read every post on this forum and on the GreenLigt Complications forum before making up my mind whether or not to go for GreenLight. While there are a couple hundred posts of disappointments and complications, there have been well over 200,000 GreenLight procedures worldwide, so looking at it from that perspective I figured the odds of success were good. So I went for GreenLight 10 days ago at the University of Virginia Medical Center, where they have been performing GreenLights since it first became available. It goes without saying that a urologist who has performed hundreds of GreenLights is your best bet.
For those of you that have not had this procedure yet here's the benefit of my experience thus far. Clean out your intestinal track before the procedure takes place. This is because after the procedure you are not to strain your bowels - at all. If you do you will likely bleed and thereby slow your recovery. After the procedure is done plan your diet around not having to strain. You will be warned about that, and you will be told that for 6 weeks do not lift anything over 10 pounds. Sounds dramatic, but take it seriously. Next: whether by scalpel or laser, you are cut, and you must take the time to rest and heal. Set aside a week to rest at home, even if you feel strong. Next: do not expect instant, fantastic results. There is swelling from the laser burn, and for most people that swelling must go down before great result can occur. Next: pain comes with the territory for the first few days at least. Don't try to be a hero and not take the painkillers until you are climbing the walls. They don't work that way. They work best when taken when the pain first starts to build. And listen guys, these are generalities of-course. Everybody is different, except for this: everybody should be prepared. If you are among the lucky ones and do better, great. But for the rest of us, being well-knowledged and well- prepared is of great value and provides needed peace of mind. Good luck to all! It worked for me, but it was no walk in the park.

Since: Feb 08

UK

#151 Feb 21, 2008
This procedure is still rare in the uk, my hospital has been performing the procedure for less than 12 months,
I had my pvp on 4th Feb 08 free of charge compliments of the UKs national health service, My consultant surgeon advised that I had a very large prostate and that he had done "a lot of burning" I had no problems and was catherised one day and discharged after two days, Its now being 17 days and although I am passing water ok I still get sharp pain in the peritineum area immediatley after unrinating which lasts for about 2-3 minutes followed by aching for anything up to an hour. Ive not returned to work yet and will probobly have one more week off, Can anyone tell me if my post op symptoms are the norm and if so how long do they last?
Steve

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#152 Feb 21, 2008
Peter:
Since you had a large prostate and much tissue removed, the healing process will naturally take longer rather than shorter. As you know the prostate is in a crowded area of the male anatomy. The pain you are feeling is not abnormal at all. The standard is that you should allow up to 3 months for complete recovery. So just relax brother.

Since: Feb 08

UK

#153 Feb 22, 2008
Steve wrote:
Peter:
Since you had a large prostate and much tissue removed, the healing process will naturally take longer rather than shorter. As you know the prostate is in a crowded area of the male anatomy. The pain you are feeling is not abnormal at all. The standard is that you should allow up to 3 months for complete recovery. So just relax brother.
Thanks Steve, appreciate the advice, its hard to get first hand information over this side of the pond as the procedure is not a common one in the UK.

Cheers
Pete
Dashs

Los Angeles, CA

#154 Feb 22, 2008
Did you guys hear about proton therapy. My husband had it - had just a few side affects first weeks after treatment. Now completely cancer free, no erection problems - says that he feels like new persone! Even I can see the difference! It's a new kind of treatment - no surgery, very highly effective. www.protons.com
Bob

AOL

#155 Feb 24, 2008
[quote]Clean out your intestinal track before the procedure takes place. This is because after the procedure you are not to strain your bowels - at all. If you do you will likely bleed and thereby slow your recovery. After the procedure is done plan your diet around not having to strain. You will be warned about that[/quote]

I wish I was warned. I did strain and did bleed from it. A lot!
Carl in Charleston SC

Myrtle Beach, SC

#156 Feb 25, 2008
Does anyone have experience with Doctors at MUSC? I am looking at getting the Greenlight procedure at MUSC but very cautious due to all of the negative post on this site.
Jay

Sagaponack, NY

#157 Feb 26, 2008
This will be my last post.

I began a new evaluation with my new urologist. Firstly, I was amazed at the state of art technology used in the examination. Previously, my old urologist used a hand had scope and took a quick look. This time the scope was hooked to an fiber optic system with a TV monitor with the ability to take video and pics. I was able to watch the entire procedure - in great detail. The level of care and treatment was superior. And the discomfort was less too.

The good news is that the PVP surgery was a great success. No scare tissue - no complications.

Unfortunately, I do suffer from chronic prosatitis which is unrelated to the previous enlarged prostate.

This urologist however has a plan of action.

Moral of the story - not all facilities and urologists are the same. My first urologist did an adequate job - but I had to chase after him - also the medical facility over the years deteriorated into a clinic environment. Too many patients in and out.

So take your time and shop around - look at the examination room - the available technology - the experience and the doctor and most importantly - does the urologist take time to really lisen to you and work along side with you! After all its your body - and who knows it better than you.
Ron

Woonsocket, RI

#158 Feb 26, 2008
I am wondering about the anesthesia used. I am going to have the procedure, but my urologist says that he uses a spinal block for anesthesia. I thought that was for women having babies...I prefer to go to sleep and wake up with the procedure done!

I wonder what other urologists use for anesthesia?
Bob

AOL

#159 Feb 27, 2008
Ron wrote:
I am wondering about the anesthesia used. I am going to have the procedure, but my urologist says that he uses a spinal block for anesthesia. I thought that was for women having babies...I prefer to go to sleep and wake up with the procedure done!
I wonder what other urologists use for anesthesia?
I had general anestesia. Woke up and they told me all about it. Apparentlt I was bad. I ripped off everthing they had attached to me.
Barber

Taylor, TX

#160 Feb 29, 2008
What doctor has anyone used for this green light procedure in the Austin, TX area? Results good or disappointing? I have been on Uraxatrol for several years, but having low blood pressure symptoms now.
hk Texas

Show Low, AZ

#161 Mar 1, 2008
This for anyone with chronic prostitis, I had the mircowave procedure worked well for two weeks then strted gettin symtoms again. I am on levaquin, is there anything better out there.
John

Pittsburgh, PA

#162 Mar 4, 2008
Had the procedure done last March, one year ago. It took a full three months to recover.I was told this before. Flow is much improved. Get up once or not at all during the night. Still have urgency and frequency, but the doctor told me that would be the case before having it done. One year later, I think I still pass a bit of tissue now and then. Overall it did make an improvement for me, plus the bonus of one less pill to take.(Flowmax)Sex is the same as before. No difference.
My advice is to do it. I'm 65 and the doc said this would last about 10 years.
Cliff

Massapequa, NY

#163 Mar 8, 2008
John wrote:
Still have urgency and frequency, but the doctor told me that would be the case before having it done.
So then what was the point in having the surgery? I thought the whole point was to get rid of the urgency and frequency.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GreenLight Laser Surgery Complications (May '07) Mar 29 Rex 1,478
Scar tissue buildup in urethra after prostate s... Mar 27 jayp 2
green light laser side effects (Sep '15) Mar '18 Sad Daughter 20
Green Light Laser surgery for BPH prostate (Feb '12) Mar '18 Larry_O 40
Cayenne Pepper seems to have cured my prostate ... (Mar '08) Feb '18 kss112057 171
Radiation alone shrinking penis size (Jan '07) Jan '18 frustration 7
News Fire Doctors Who Call Trump Crazy (Sep '17) Jan '18 Poster Child for ... 3