PVP GreenLight Laser Treatment
Jay

Holtsville, NY

#104 Nov 14, 2007
Shoe - It is now 20 weeks since I had the procedure - I was 59 1/2 years old. I did extensive research on the differnet procedures. I immediately ruled out microwave - based on technical and anedoctal information. I also felt the recovery and the definite lost of ejacualtion following a turp procedure was not for me. Of course I had two problems prostatitis and BHP. the prostatitis probably broguht me to the procedure earlier then required - since the inflammation from the prostatitis just added insult to injury. Probably if I didn't suffer from the prostatitis I probably would not have needed the green laser surgery until I was much older.

Preently, I am sleeping much better at night. I wake up only twice - and the timing is getting much better. For example, I have slept 3 hours and then four hours. Just peeing twice - almost making it throgh the night.

I am still experienceing postsexual inflammation after frequent sex - for example three days in a row. I find that if I space the sexual intimacy there are much less problems.

I am still waiting to see if my prostatitis will continually return. This is of concern to me at the present time. Sometimes - It is hard to know if recovery symtoms are from the surgery or an incipient prostatitis. In any event Alleve takes care of the problem.

As I have stated - I have modified my diet and began to take the supplement quercetin.

There is no question that there is great improvement in flow, stream strength and consistency. The surgery has been a success - however, healing is still not complete and my internist says it can take up to a year for some people!

As for the experience of my doctor. he is invovled in two very busy practices -he probably sees hundreds if not more patients and has done the pvp srugery on a regular basis. He did not push me into anything and explained the different options. I opted out of the microwave -(which really depends on the length of your prostate) because it does not give an immediate result. I also wanted someone actively looking and cutting rather than being passively cooked! One more thing - since I live in cosmopolitan urban area - I had the choice of excellent hospitals and staff!

Mark
Kevin Virginia

Richmond, VA

#105 Nov 15, 2007
Had the PVP procedure on Monday 11/12, catheter out the next morning @ 9:00 am, had first pee OK,(relatively speaking), then no more at all. Catheter back in @ 3:30pm same day. Was told I have to keep it in until Monday 11/19....Very cumbersome to wear this, and my professional life is on hold. Thank goodness I can do 1/2 my work from home.
Have no clue as to the rest of the progress of the matter.
Any one else have this experience?
Cliff

Massapequa, NY

#106 Nov 15, 2007
Kevin, may I ask how old you are? Also, did you ever find out WHY you couldn't urinate after the first time?
Kevin Virginia

Richmond, VA

#107 Nov 16, 2007
Cliff wrote:
Kevin, may I ask how old you are? Also, did you ever find out WHY you couldn't urinate after the first time?
Yes, good question on both items. I'm 50, and had "mild" BPH symptoms past 3 years, and no not really told anything about why I could not go, except,(possibly) the bladder goes "quiet" after a procedure. Thanks.
Kevin Virginia

Richmond, VA

#108 Nov 26, 2007
Well all,
The 2nd catheter was removed one week ago, and the pee did come back within a few hours! Thank goodness for that. If I would have had to have a catheter again, that would have not been good...
Currently I have pain while peeing, and some urgency.(Normal I'm told).
No sexual activity as yet, as I was told 2 weeks was the time frame for this.(And that is today).

I wish I would have seen this site, and ASKED more questions before the PVP. Although I feel I'm now going the right direction. I will keep all of you posted.
WCM

Newport News, VA

#109 Dec 1, 2007
I had the procedure on 13 Nov after several years of hitting every toilet I passed in case it may be awhile before I came to another. Airline travel for work became a mental exercise; and the thought of reducing urgency and increasing the possibility of feeling relieved made me accept the potential risks of the procedure. I have not reduced the urgency or frequency yet, and I still have blood in my urine much of the time. I continue to drink a great deal in the morning, and that leads directly to frequent toilet calls. When I tried to cut down on drinking at night to allow longer sleep periods, up to 3 hours; I had considerably more bleeding and continued to pass small clots. I continue to have burning most of the time, but many of your inputs seem to indicate that is to be expected for several weeks. I am in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and am a very active 66 years old. Am I expecting too much too soon?
Cliff

Massapequa, NY

#110 Dec 2, 2007
Has anyone ever heard of Greenlight causing Peyronie's Disease? I've heard that the TUMT and TUNA procedures can, so I'm wondering why Greenlight would be any different.
Tom in Charleston SC

Greenville, SC

#111 Dec 5, 2007
WCM,

I had my Greenlight surgery on October 24th.
The post-surgery reality has been challenging and there were several times when I was getting quite discouraged at the slowness of recovery. However, now that it's been 5 weeks, I am starting to feel a lot better about the whole thing. Bleeding just about nil. Pain only occasionally. Urgency a lot better. Manage to sleep through the night most nights. Still have to wear a pad for dribbling, but that too is improving.

Bottom line: From reading this forum, looks like there are a lucky few who experience immediate, dramatic improvement. For most, however, it appears to be a matter of slow, incremental progress. You'll need to be patient a LOT longer than the brochures or your urologist lead you to believe.
Cliff

Massapequa, NY

#112 Dec 5, 2007
Tom in Charleston SC wrote:
WCM,
I had my Greenlight surgery on October 24th.
The post-surgery reality has been challenging and there were several times when I was getting quite discouraged at the slowness of recovery. However, now that it's been 5 weeks, I am starting to feel a lot better about the whole thing. Bleeding just about nil. Pain only occasionally. Urgency a lot better. Manage to sleep through the night most nights. Still have to wear a pad for dribbling, but that too is improving.
Bottom line: From reading this forum, looks like there are a lucky few who experience immediate, dramatic improvement. For most, however, it appears to be a matter of slow, incremental progress. You'll need to be patient a LOT longer than the brochures or your urologist lead you to believe.
Tom, I'm curious....(1) How old are you? and (2) Is there any particular reason you went with the Greenlight as opposed to having a TUMT or TUNA?
Tom in Charleston SC

Greenville, SC

#113 Dec 6, 2007
Cliff,

I'm 62 and in good health except for the BPH problems.

Regarding my decision, it was a combination:
1. My own research which indicated that PVP was superior to TUNA/TUMT in terms of outcome, recovery, and long-term efficacy
2. Recommendation of my urologist

Admittedly, to some extent my decision was influenced by a completely illogical buy in to the "newer is better" philosophy.

Also, I trusted that my urologist, having had experience with all three treatment methodologies, would give an unbiased and medically sound recommendation.

Now, all of that said, it's apparent that my decision was driven by a combination of logic and emotion. Lacking a medical degree, all i could do was take my best shot at assessing all the alternatives, considering all the pros and cons, and then taking a leap of faith.

So far, I'm satisfied with the results. Since I last posted, bleeding has stopped completely. I still get occasional annoying feelings of having to pee when my bladder is all but empty (especially if I've been on my feet for a while). And there is still some minor dribbling, although it's a LOT better than just after the surgery.

Long answer to a short question, Cliff, but I hope the info, albeit a sample of one, is helpful.

Tom
BGB

Houston, TX

#114 Dec 6, 2007
I had Green Light 1 week ago today. It was done at Methodist Hospital, Houston by Dr. Brian Powers. Cathater came out after surgery. No pain. Blood in the stream has disappeared. The stream is slow and only have to get up at night about twice. Hopefully this will improve. Went back to work the day after surgery with no heavy lifting or streneous exercise. Seeing the urologist in two weeks.
Jay

Sagaponack, NY

#115 Dec 7, 2007
Is is now about a full five months since surgery.

I have come down with a nasty prostate infection which put me in retention. Since the infection my urination has deteriorated somewhat. Urologist says it from the swelling and urination will eventually improve. As I stated the infection put me in retention; although, that was because the doctor changed antibiotic and the new one was useless. Back on Levaquin which always does the job.

I must admitt that I had much more pain and discomfort with the infection after the surgery than I had before the surgery.

The surgery also was supposed to help relieve chronic prostate infections ..... I don't know if I am still prone to them and/or if the infection is the result of the surgery?

Still have some discomfort after sex.

I agreed with others on the list - recovery isn't what the literature suggests - and the doctors should be more forthright about healing and complications.

As I said before I had no choice but to have the procedure. And I am still better off than before -I am somewhat worried about scare tissue - urologist says there probably isn't any - we'll see.
Bud

AOL

#116 Dec 7, 2007
Had the greenlight treatment Aug 15,2007. After 4 months all pre-procedure symptoms have returned.
Doc says it may be scar tissue. Anyone have a similar problem?
David

San Pedro, CA

#117 Dec 8, 2007
I had the BHP procedure about 4 weeks ago. It took a solid 2 weeks before I had a good normal pee again. As far as urination goes, I'd say the procedure was well worth it. However, I'm experiencing retro ejaculation, and obviously I'm not too thrilled about it. I knew the risk was there (at least I'm done having kids), but I'd still like to have a "normal" ejaculation. I have my last follow up with my doc in a couple of weeks.... but does anyone who has been through this have any success stories regarding the ejaculation returning? Is there any treatment or excersise that can help? I'm 45 years old.
Bob

Newton, NJ

#118 Dec 14, 2007
I am 69 and had the procedure Nov.8th. I only get up once a night, but during the day urinate every
30min to an hour. Needless to say, travel plans have to include knowing toilet locations and carrying a bottle. Will the frequency problem correct itself with time?
Cliff

Massapequa, NY

#119 Dec 14, 2007
Has anyone ever heard of a Greenlight Tweep or Tweak? Maybe it's just my uro's name for it, but he told me that if I have the surgery, while he's in there, he could check to see if I would benefit from this "junior version" of the procedure. Instead of using the laser to hollow out the inside of the prostate, he would use it to make incisions in the prostate. This is supposed to somehow relieve pressure off the urethra, yet preserve some ejaculate (unlike the full greenlight, which would probably cause retrograde).
Bob

Newton, NJ

#120 Dec 15, 2007
I posted a frequent day time urination problem, five weeks post procedure. I reserched side effects of a high blood pressure medicine that I am taking,(Diovan HCT) and learned of Pollakiuria. I stopped my medication and had immediate results!
Tom in Charleston SC

Greenville, SC

#121 Dec 18, 2007
Bob wrote:
I am 69 and had the procedure Nov.8th. I only get up once a night, but during the day urinate every
30min to an hour. Needless to say, travel plans have to include knowing toilet locations and carrying a bottle. Will the frequency problem correct itself with time?
Bob,

I had the procedure on October 24th, and things are getting better every day. All bleeding, burning, etc. is finally behind me. Only remaining issue is minor leakage and frequency/urgency if I am standing for a protracted period of time. When sitting or lying down, things are pretty well back to the way they were pre-BPH. Sleep through most nights. Only complaint I have (assuming the remaining issues resolve over time) is that the improvements are not nearly as quick and dramatic as the literature would indicate. Although, there are a lucky few who post to this forum who have gotten the quick results described in the brochures.
Bob

Newton, NJ

#122 Dec 18, 2007
Thanks for the reply Tom. I am pretty discouraged
with the length of my recovery. I am fearful that my condition will never improve!I will keep the faith now. Today the frequency has been every 30 to 45 min!
Jay

Sagaponack, NY

#123 Dec 20, 2007
It is now a little past 5 months. The infection has subsided and urination has returned almost to preinfection levels. So I do not believe I have scare tissue. I only woke up once last night. I almost made to the full eight hours. I slept for 7 hours.

I still have minor - slight swelling after sex. I still need to space sexaul activity to every other day or more. However, this problem continues to improve - with discomfort becoming less and less a nusiance. As stated before - Alleve resolves the problem quickly.

As for my chronic prostatitis - we'll see.

As per Cliff - my urologist once mentioned this procedure - but I don't beleive with lasers.

As per David - I still have a very weak - insignificant ejaculation - nothing similar to what was before the laser surgery. It varies from person to person. My urologist said a percentage of people do not retain ejaculation after surgery - I think he said about 30%- however, you can research this figure on the web for further clarification

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Black Men at Greater Risk for Prostate Cancer: ... 37 min T-BOS 8
Plasma button surgery for BPH (Dec '11) Feb 18 Drew 213
prostate pain at night? (Jan '11) Feb 14 Hello 38
Managing Urinary Incontinence After Prostatecto... (Jun '11) Jan '17 williedynomite 20
News Should Gerard Depardieu Have Worn Adult Diapers... (Aug '11) Jan '17 kirton 2
News Mississauga cancer survivor lights up his house... Jan '17 do they live here 8
Cayenne Pepper seems to have cured my prostate ... (Mar '08) Jan '17 Richard Arnolds 170
More from around the web