PVP GreenLight Laser Treatment
bob2

Missoula, MT

#82 Sep 3, 2007
This is a follow-up to my posts of April 29 and June 10, following the PVP on Jan. 29. I had tried Flomax without success.

Over seven months later, Iím still not sure I would have had this surgery if I knew then what I know now. On the other hand, my problems were not as desperate as many of those who have written on this site. I have had a small, but significant, reduction in urinary frequency from maybe 12-13 times a day to perhaps 10 (still above normal). Nighttime frequency dropped from an average of 2-3 to an average of 1-2.

For a very long time, I had discomfort when urinating, but that has finally faded. However, I continue to suffer from retroactive ejaculation and post-urinary dribbling. The first continues to be feel different from normal, and frankly, has been a little off-putting (meaning Iím less interested in sex). The dribbling is, in its own way, nearly as much of a pain in the neck as my higher frequency was.

Several things are apparent from my own experience and from reading other posts on this site:

1. Results are highly unpredictable.
2. Urologists are not always forthcoming about the risks.
3. Before doing this, you should consult a second physician Ė preferably a family physician (generalist) who sees a lot of patients, hears their stories, and doesnít do the procedure himself so he doesnít have a stake in it.
4. Whether you should have a PVP depends on how bad your symptoms are, whether less-invasive treatments work for you, and whether you ever want to have children again the normal way.
5. You should consider issues of diet and medication Cutting down beer, tea, and coffee, if acceptable to you, may give you enough marginal relief to make the risks of the surgery not worth it. Also, there are medicinal treatments other than Flomax you can try.

I continue to believe you should not have the surgery unless your situation is fairly serious and not remediable in other ways. While the question is somewhat close, in retrospect I probably would not have this operation if I knew then what I know now. At the least, I would have tried cutting my tea consumption first, and consulted a family physician in addition to a urologist.
Matthew

Newport News, VA

#83 Sep 13, 2007
Anyone having or had procedure done in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. If so who is your Doctor. I had this in June and had urinary
infections and after 2 months started having problems with erections. I to was told that my sex
life should be much better. It was fantastic before but has caused me considerable frustration.

The doctor I had would perform 5-6 per day back to back. something like and Assembly Line. That
usually causes the quality of the product to be affected. I am being affected and am regretting
the whole procedure.
I urine stream is much better than before the operation and the bleeding is gone, but I did not
expect to lose my Love Life at 48. Hopefully there is another Doctor that has a cure for that.

When I do have sex I am getting a hell of a workout and then might have a half a thimble full
of Sperm come out. My ORGASM last all of 2 seconds.

BEWARE and get a Second Opinion.
David

Fort Bragg, NC

#84 Sep 14, 2007
Matthew,

Which practice did you go to? I'm researching BPH treatment options for my father who lives in Suffolk, VA.
Lou

Charleroi, PA

#85 Sep 25, 2007
Had the PVP Laser done 12 days ago...stream is great...still have urgency/frequency problems...still experience some pain and bleeding at the beginning of urination only and on occassion at the end if I try to strain to get out every last drop...so far very positive about procedure...
Jay

Holtsville, NY

#86 Sep 30, 2007
I decided to post again and share some frustrations. It is now approximately 10 weeks since the laser surgery.

I find that exercising on the thread mill and/or long car rides and/or sex will cause an inflammation of the prostate. It is not a major discomfort; however one that is quite noticeable and which at times also causes an urge to urinate.

As a result, I have cut down my sexual activity and exercise. I have found that sex once every 5 days or more causes the least discomfort and a quick recovery.

The discomfort/pain is easily treated with either Alleve or Advil - usuually taking a double dose of the medication and a follow up pill for a day.

(One concern I do have is whether I am still plagued with a recurrent prostatitis which developed with the BHP.)

On a positive note - urination is very good. There is no hesitation and no weak stream. I travel with greater peace of mind. In this regard the procedure is a great success.

I still get up a few times to urinate at night - although I have slept at times for 4 hours straight. It is still much better then before when I was getting up every hour or so.

The healing process is indeed quite frustrating for me. The literature really doesn't give an accurate portrayal of the time required to heal which is quite extensive. Granted most healing occurs in the first few weeks - the rest it seems takes months!
Syd

Boca Raton, FL

#87 Sep 30, 2007
Lots of valuable yes and nos..........can anyone recommend an good, experienced Green Light urologist in south Florida? I want to check it out before I commit.
Joe

Fort Wayne, IN

#88 Oct 14, 2007
I had green light surgery as an outpatient procedure last Thursday morning. I had a catheter, which I removed without any problems Saturday night. Today, Sunday, I've had no pain, very little blood... and almost no urine. I go, and don't have trouble starting, but the stream is so weak that it takes forever.
I wasn't given any information on what to expect afterwards, so I don't know if this is normal.
Anyone else experience a very weak stream afterwards?
Bob

AOL

#89 Oct 15, 2007
Joe wrote:
I had green light surgery as an outpatient procedure last Thursday morning. I had a catheter, which I removed without any problems Saturday night. Today, Sunday, I've had no pain, very little blood... and almost no urine. I go, and don't have trouble starting, but the stream is so weak that it takes forever.
I wasn't given any information on what to expect afterwards, so I don't know if this is normal.
Anyone else experience a very weak stream afterwards?
With blood there are usually clots too. Pass any yet? They obstruct and make a weak stream in the beginning. It did for me.
rcaplesr

Bonita Springs, FL

#90 Oct 15, 2007
had greenlight done year & half ago. had good results untill now. after orgasm i have some dark blood dripping for a few seconds. urine after that seems clear. any one experiance that? thanks
Bob -UK

Mitcham, UK

#91 Oct 18, 2007
Having read all the comments on this site, it certainly seems that the results are unpredictable. Some people, including a colleague of mine have enjoyed great almost instant results, whilst others are very varied. Has anyone been told why this is? Is it down to pre-PVP prostate size? My urologist told me, after he had conducted my PVP that my prostate was small but I had had a restriction. It is now 26 days since my PVP and apart from a slight increase in flow, the results have been very disappointing. The pain has now gone but I am still seeing blood on commencing peeing. The frequency and urgency are if anything, worse than before and I am getting up 2 or 3 times each night. The uro did say, just before I went under the anaesthetic, that I might have weak bladder muscles, which could not be put right. It was a bit late to change my mind, but I am hoping that this is not the case, or if I do have weak muscles, something can be done.
After reading all other comments, I am hopeful of long term gradual improvement. I see my uro within a couple of weeks, but at the moment my plans to take up golf are on hold. Ther aren't many bushes on my local course!
Bob

AOL

#92 Oct 19, 2007
It looks like if your prostate problems are drastically changing your lifestyle this procedure is worth the risk. There are a lot of people it has benefitted here. If it is a mild case I would wait. I couldn't make it a half hour without going.

Has anyone asked their doc what can be done to keep it from growing again? Mine didn't have an answer. Has anyone had testosterone/estrogen levels checked? From my reading dropping testosterone and estrogen dominance will do it.
ALF

Allentown, PA

#93 Oct 19, 2007
My husband had the surgery in 2005 and has been incontinent since then. Just today we were finally told by a doctor who didn't mind letting us know what happened ... It's a bit unsettling, but here it goes. The sphincter is scarred and there's a very large hole where there should be no hole. Also, the verbanmantom (can't spell it) is gone. yes, disappeared. So, prognosis not good and he's only fifty.
Tony wrote:
All that glitters is not gold....had the green light late sept 06. all was great until early feb 07, when preprocedure symptoms returned with a vengeance,even stronger than before....nocturia trippled, stream weaker than preprocedure, urgency more pronounced, etc. Urologist said "probably scar tissue as a result of the procedure". Scar tissue? Thought green light eliminated that.
Be cautioned and ask your urologist to fully define ALL potential pitfalls.
Bob

Allentown, PA

#94 Oct 19, 2007
PVP is not all it's cracked up to be. Just found out that there are actual pieces of my body missing and that is causing the incontinence. No way to fix it and I'm just fifty one. Interesting, don't you think?
bob2 wrote:
This is a follow-up to my posts of April 29 and June 10, following the PVP on Jan. 29. I had tried Flomax without success.
Over seven months later, Iím still not sure I would have had this surgery if I knew then what I know now. On the other hand, my problems were not as desperate as many of those who have written on this site. I have had a small, but significant, reduction in urinary frequency from maybe 12-13 times a day to perhaps 10 (still above normal). Nighttime frequency dropped from an average of 2-3 to an average of 1-2.
For a very long time, I had discomfort when urinating, but that has finally faded. However, I continue to suffer from retroactive ejaculation and post-urinary dribbling. The first continues to be feel different from normal, and frankly, has been a little off-putting (meaning Iím less interested in sex). The dribbling is, in its own way, nearly as much of a pain in the neck as my higher frequency was.
Several things are apparent from my own experience and from reading other posts on this site:
1. Results are highly unpredictable.
2. Urologists are not always forthcoming about the risks.
3. Before doing this, you should consult a second physician Ė preferably a family physician (generalist) who sees a lot of patients, hears their stories, and doesnít do the procedure himself so he doesnít have a stake in it.
4. Whether you should have a PVP depends on how bad your symptoms are, whether less-invasive treatments work for you, and whether you ever want to have children again the normal way.
5. You should consider issues of diet and medication Cutting down beer, tea, and coffee, if acceptable to you, may give you enough marginal relief to make the risks of the surgery not worth it. Also, there are medicinal treatments other than Flomax you can try.
I continue to believe you should not have the surgery unless your situation is fairly serious and not remediable in other ways. While the question is somewhat close, in retrospect I probably would not have this operation if I knew then what I know now. At the least, I would have tried cutting my tea consumption first, and consulted a family physician in addition to a urologist.
CRW

Irvine, CA

#95 Oct 19, 2007
Had the GL 3 weeks ago. Stayed overnight, had catheter out and went home the next day. This has been a great experience. Big flow and lots of bubbles like years ago.

I have had some pinkness and some urgency. 2 Advil about every other day has made that go away. I haven't had any pain and went back to the gym and my bike after a week.(Advil doesn't have the side effects that Flomax caused me)

I'm 64 and have been up 3-4 times per night for ten years. Retention was starting to be a problem to worry about. My protate was roughly 300% of normal so the Dr. wasn't sure I would be a good candidate.

I had the Microwave treatment two years ago and that was a waste. Fortunately I had to change Uros after that and the new Dr. is a big champion of the GL.

I'm very glad I did it. Sounds like the down side is swelling or infection to mess up the results for a while but I have been lucky not to have either (yet).

All in all, I'm starting to feel sorry for all my old buddies who can never pass up a men's room.
BOB

AOL

#96 Nov 1, 2007
Still wondering if anyone had hormones checked? Supposedly prostated enlargement is from hormone imbalance. Anyone told this from their doc? Mine didn't say much. Just that most of his patients are a lot oldeer than me. I'm worried about it growing again. Any comments appreciated.
Cliff

Massapequa, NY

#97 Nov 1, 2007
I was doing fine with Uroxatral (my prostate isn't enlarged, but it's very "tense"), and then in late September I had a relapse. It may have something to do with the fact that for 2 weeks I was taking OTC cold/allergy medication as well as a sleep aid, all with antihistamines in them. I've been all messed up ever since. Anyone have any experience with having a setback due to antihistamines? My doctor and pharmacist both said that any effects usually clear up within a few days of stopping the antihistamines, and I'm on Day 39. My doctor has me on Detrol LA to try and compensate. I've been on the Detrol for 3 weeks, and I'm still not right. This is very frustrating. It looks like I'm heading for the Greenlight if I don't get better pretty soon.
Jay

Holtsville, NY

#98 Nov 1, 2007
It's now 18 weeks after the PVP procedure.

I don't have too many concerns. There is still some occasional swelling if I have lots of sex without spacing the days. But overall no major discomfort or pain - healing has been pretty benign. And the healing still continues.

Some nights I only get up twice to pee. This is much better than the 4 - 5 or more times before and I now pee with ease.(I am finding as I heal I sleep longer without having to urinate.)

I just came back from a vacation and tour - I was able at times to walk and see the sites for 3 or more hours without the need to seek a bathroom. And I was pretty comfortable on the long bus tours. So this is a blessing - since in the previous years - vacations were problematic - always needed to be near a restroom!

I did suffer from prostatitis with the BHP. I wonder if some of the problems people are experiencing on the forum might be due to prostatitis?

I have modified my diet to follow one suggested to ease prostatitis symptoms. And it seems to be helping - I will definitely know in a month or so.

There are some foods that inflame the prostate. This is what I have eliminated from my diet: All caffeine, Alcohol, and all spices except mild mustard/ketchup, salt and pepper (in moderation). I have also eleminanted all refined sugars and white starches such as pasta - white potatoes. Some say wheat products should also be eliminated and I have decided to limit these products. For more information check prostatitis.org

Anyway during the recovery period elimnating foods that might cause prostate irritation/inflamation might be a good decision.

One night I made dish with lots of curry - and boy did it cause problems!

Hope this helps.

As for people who have had failed results - I guess the skill/experience of the doctor as always is of paramount importance. My docter was no kid out of school - white hair with lots of surgeries behind him in -

But surgery is always a risk - and I personally did not decide to have the PVP until I was in desparate straights and I did not have the surgery until nothing else worked!
Jim

Berthoud, CO

#101 Nov 9, 2007
Was seriously considering the green light, but after reading the past five pages, I'm very wary. Prostate problems began nearly 20 years ago (1987). Had to go to emergency room for 3am cath in 1998. Initially, began self cathing when needed to avoid emergency rooms. Every euro I went to wanted to do a biopsy, which I declined. I have been self-cathing 4-6 times a day for the past 4 years. 2-1/2 years ago had the microwave. That was a big bust. Zero improvement -- all I got out of it was a chronic urinary tract infection which I am still dealing with today. My Euro is in his late 60's so he's had a lot of experience. He highly recommends the green light. Self-cathing is not that big a deal to me. I have a cath in both bathrooms and carry one in my truck. when possible, I stop at home to cath during the day, but sometimes must drive 200 miles one way and back home that night, so I have learned which businesses have clean restrooms. can't go more than 5-6 hours without cathing. But compared to everything I have read, that seems a lot less problematic than post urination dribbling, and all of the other negatives I have read about. I'm 64. So a bad experience with green light could push me into retirement early and SS doesn't pay nearly as well as my job. So I guess I'll continue self-cathing until I have no other choice. My prostate is about 200 grams (5x larger than normal for my age) and I usually cath at about 14-18 ounces, although there are times when I have filled a 32oz cup completely full. I will continue to visit this post to continue to read others' experiences.

No one has mentioned the cost of the green light. Anyone care to tell us what the cost is?
GJH

Brooklyn, NY

#102 Nov 11, 2007
Had the Green Laser this past Mon.(6 days ago)---catheter out on Tues...already see some improvement in frequency and night awakenings (only 2 last night) but stream strength still about the same. Most disturbing is some blood in urine especially during bowel movements.
Shoe

Florence, SC

#103 Nov 12, 2007
Jay - thanks for your post. My situation seems to be similar to yours and the coverage on the procedure on the WEB seems generally very negative.
Would you mind answering a few questions?
How old are you?
How much information where you able to get about your Doctor's experience with the procedure before hand?
Any new developements?
Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GreenLight Laser Surgery Complications (May '07) Mar 25 bertalan1 1,457
Plasma button surgery for BPH (Dec '11) Mar '17 Drew 214
News Black Men at Greater Risk for Prostate Cancer: ... Mar '17 Paul 6
prostate pain at night? (Jan '11) Feb '17 Hello 38
Managing Urinary Incontinence After Prostatecto... (Jun '11) Jan '17 williedynomite 20
News Should Gerard Depardieu Have Worn Adult Diapers... (Aug '11) Jan '17 kirton 2
News Mississauga cancer survivor lights up his house... Jan '17 do they live here 7
More from around the web