PVP GreenLight Laser Treatment
Nick

New York, NY

#518 Feb 25, 2011
I'm a 57 yrs old who has has urinary issues for quite sometime. Back in August 2009 I started having symptoms of BPH and by October of that same year on a weekend I suddenly could no longer pee at all. Wound up in the emergency room where I was cathed. I had 2 liters of urine in my bladder!! After that incident I went into cronic urinary retention and began cathing myself 4 to 5 times a day. I did this for over a year!!! I finally got a different urologist after being fed up with everything and PVP was recommened and I had it done just Last Friday. I was kept in overnight and sent home witha foley for a few days. I had the foley just removed this past Wednesday. Al I have to say is what a MIRACLE!! I went from cathing myself 5 times a day for over a year to NO cathing at all. I dont' think I've voided this well in years!! I still can't believe how it fixed my problem. I highly recommend it!
BARRY

San Jose, CA

#519 Mar 3, 2011
mike wrote:
Has anyone had this procedure for bph? What kind of results did you get?
I HAD THE PROCEDURE ABOUT 5 WEEKS AGO I STILL HAVE URGENCY TO PEE AND BLOOD IN THE URINE. SOME TIMES I GET A GOOD FLOW OTHER TIMES SOME BURNING WHEN I FINISH. I'M STILL UP AT NIGHT ABOUT THREE TIMES. AND MY RETROGRADE ORGASM WAS STRANGE NOTHING COMING OUT THE TIP. I JUST CALLED DR ABOUT THE BLEEDING. WAITING FOR THE BENEFITS RATHER THEN SIDE EFFECTS.
Dennis

North Hollywood, CA

#520 Mar 13, 2011
I am 52yrs, had the procedure 5 months ago.
I had the PVP done because I was getting up at night up to 6 to 7 times. During the day, I always needed to know where a restroom was. My enlarged prostate was also affecting my sex life. I am very sexually active, so I was very apprehensive about the procedure. But since it was affecting that part of my life also, I had it done. So this is my 5 month update.
The first month after, I had blood in my urine, and a strange sensation at the tip of my penis after urinating. The first time I ejaculated, it came out forcefully, but with blood in the semen. That was the last time I had external semen ejaculation "retrograde ejaculation!" Up until about one month ago, I hated the "RE". But I am now use to it, the sensation almost feels the same now. But after an orgasm I will have a strong urge to urinate about 3 time within 10 minutes. I believe this is due to semen in the urethra. My wife actually likes the RE, "no fuss, no muss!!!" I have read that RE can reverse itself within a year as the prostate reforms.
As far as urinating, I now piss like a race horse! Even as a teenager, I never had so much volume. I may now only get up once, or at the most twice at night now. I still have to stand at the urinal longer than I use to, to make sure it is all out though. I hope this can help a few people that have just had PVP done, or are thinking about it. I will post another update at the year mark.
Henry

Clearwater, FL

#521 Mar 13, 2011
Dennis,Orgasm sensation has never been the same after one year and 1/2 as a result of PVP.Sensation is very strange and not very satisfying."RE" will go away but semen volume decreased sharply from normal in my case.
Pee flow is moderate but not like a race horse at all.According to an experienced urologist 150 to 200cc residual is acceptable a year after this procedure.I get up once or twice a night depending on fluid intake during evening.I believe your urine volume will diminish as scar tissue forms as in my case.?Good Luck
Rico

Waldorf, MD

#522 Mar 23, 2011
Had the PVP greenlight laser treatment 3/10/11.Not sure if I should be on this site...because of what I have read...Suffering from BPH to the point where i could not urinate. Had a catheter for 3 weeks.My hands were tie..Bleeding,pain at the end of urinating..Doctor mention retro ejact...Not sure about what will take place.58yr. sort of young for this...
Bill

Ayden, NC

#523 Apr 15, 2011
rick2u wrote:
<quoted text>
John I self catheterised for several years, not in the mood to count right now, i remember how horrid I felt as I was shown how to do it, and the nurse of course used anasthetic gel. She did tell me that I would have to do it without it, and do it up to 6times a day.
The first time at home it really really hurt, like I cried putting it in, over the next few weeks it didnt hurt so much, and prob within a month I was putting it in and pulling the damn thing out again after I had relieved myself, by this time not even doing anymore than pulling my dick out of my trousers like normal, initially I had to get undressed.
It was afact of life, I either did this or had an indwelling catheter put in that had to be changed every few weeks and that also meant zero sex life.
I had countless infections due to self catheterisation, even though I had to clean up every time before I did it, perhaps I just got careless.
Flomatra etc did nothing for me.
18mths ago I had green laser surgery, stories written earlier on this forum, had some issues, but ultimately the surgery was great, have hda to catheterise a few times still when I have had an infecdtion and yes it hurts again after not having done it for so long but its great to thing I can do this and not have to go to hospital to deal with it. I used catheters that were activated with water, anhydrous they were, became super slippery as soon as they were wet.
Its a solution to a problem, if you need it its find, but yes self catheterisation is a reality for some, thankfully not 6 times a day or more for me, now prob 4 times in 18mths.
cheers
I need more info on the drug use to help stop RE, is it ephedrine? Where can I get it and are you still using it? Any side effects?
rick2

Crestmead, Australia

#524 Apr 16, 2011
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
I need more info on the drug use to help stop RE, is it ephedrine? Where can I get it and are you still using it? Any side effects?
hi john
ephidrine as in pseudoephidrine, 60mg, I took it half an hour before sex and it prevented retrograde ejaculation for me most of the time, tofranil is another drug that does the same thing, your urologist would be aware of it. No side effects that I got but if I took it more than 30mins before sex I couldnt even get an erection. I dont use it anymore as I do not have Retrograde ejaculation since greenlight surgery I had it before, I was lucky, my surgeon says sometimes they remove just the right amount but most of the time they dont, so I havent tried using it since surgery. Sometimes I still get RE but Im sure its caused by something else but generally my orgasms are better now after surgery than they ever were before (not including when I was 12)
get30_Portland_O R

Portland, OR

#525 May 12, 2011
I am 52 years old and had laser surgery 5 weeks ago. I had the usual symptoms, weak stream and going every two hours like clockwork, getting up at least 3 times in the middle of the night. I went on Flowmax for about a year and that helped make things manageable but I would get light headed doing strenuous activities. I found a urologist who had good experience in PVP (around 400 performed over 5 or 6 years) and decided to bite the bullet. I was scared to death. The first two weeks after the procedure I was still wondering if it was a good idea. Now 5 weeks post I can say I am so glad I did it. I never thought I would say it is a joy to pee again. I have a good stream the urgency is getting better. Still get up at least once a night most of the time still twice but that is getting better as the bladder readjusts which can take time. I did not suffer incontinence, impotence or retrograde ejaculation (my urologist said about 30% of his patients do have retro ej.). I am posting this because I had a good experience. I healed quickly and was back to work in 5 days. Could have gone back sooner but I was very cautious so I took a couple of extra days off. Went home with a catheter in for two days, that was a trip but with the catheter in I slept for 8 hours for the first time in years which was great. The catheter was in as a precaution as in my urologist's experience there would be far less complications with bleeding or clots. The swelling and tenderness takes a while to reside but things are improving daily and I am glad I went ahead with this. My advice is to find someone who has done a lot of these. Have a list of every question you can think of and bring them to your appointments and make sure you get the answers. Don't be afraid to ask point blank how many of these they have done and what the results have been. Most people post on these blogs because they have had a bad experience. I decided that I wanted to share that this is a good procedure in the hands of an experienced urologist. Although there are no guarantees in life this something you should consider if needed.
Happy_I_DID_IT

Longwood, FL

#526 May 13, 2011
I was in severe retention, was self cathertizing 4-5 times a day. Had PVP 15 days ago. Very happy with the results.
Stayed one night in hospital, had the foley removed at about 6am. Was able to void decently, but had some blood for few days. Within the week there was no obvious blood and had great flow.
About a week later, had a couple of voidings where I started my stream with blood, after a long road trip.
My Dr advised me I can start doing normal activities, 18 days post-op, including sex.
While that's great news,(I'm a very active 50something) I'm curious if that's really good advice. Should I go ahead and have see what sex is like, or would I be better off waiting?
Anyone here?
get30_Portland_O R

Aurora, OR

#527 May 19, 2011
Happy_I_DID_IT wrote:
I was in severe retention, was self cathertizing 4-5 times a day. Had PVP 15 days ago. Very happy with the results.
Stayed one night in hospital, had the foley removed at about 6am. Was able to void decently, but had some blood for few days. Within the week there was no obvious blood and had great flow.
About a week later, had a couple of voidings where I started my stream with blood, after a long road trip.
My Dr advised me I can start doing normal activities, 18 days post-op, including sex.
While that's great news,(I'm a very active 50something) I'm curious if that's really good advice. Should I go ahead and have see what sex is like, or would I be better off waiting?
Anyone here?
My doctor told me to go for it after two weeks but I was still a bit tender so I waited until about three and a half weeks. Things went fine with no retro in my case. I think you will know when you are ready for it. 18 days seems reasonable though.
MikeInFla

Denver, CO

#528 Jul 8, 2011
Does anyone have any recommendations (or doctors/facilities to stay away from) for Urologists in the orlando area. It looks like I am going to have to have surgery to correct my BPH condition
Mr Leak

Tomball, TX

#529 Aug 2, 2011
Mr-B wrote:
<quoted text>
The Biolitic Evolve laser was used on me two days ago. My Uro is an old-timer that says he can do a much better job with TURP, but he finishes-up with the Evolve laser to minimize bleeding, which is the only negative of TURP. I'm 65, been on Flomax for 2 years (increased to double dose 10 months ago) and Iíve been on Avodart for 8 months, but Iíd like to get off both these meds. So far, Iím very pleased with the strong and long flow and Iím keeping my fingers crossed after reading about many on this thread that had problems develop later.
Hello & hope you're doin' fine. Do you mind sharing an update of your post surgical recovery?! very curious about long term progress of the Biolitic Evolve laser therapy. Thanx a bunch.
Tom Arizona

Sioux City, IA

#530 Aug 3, 2011
I'm 74 years old. Had this surgery three weeks ago. Home 5 1/2 hours after surgery. I live 1 1/2 hours away. Scared me to death the first time I urinated as I though someone had sneaked behind me and put a fire hose between my legs. Mowed my lawn slow and carefully four days after surgery. Started my twice daily walks on the second day. Urinated every hour, some blood and slight burning for first week. This has improved on a daily basis as I was told it would. Now up to three hours on average. The only problem with the entire procedure is why I waited so long. If there are any problems associated with this procedure I don't know what they are.
Robert

Mcdonough, GA

#531 Aug 12, 2011
Tom wrote:
Hello....Had the surgery Jan 26th....A little burning occured after urination but that has cleared up...No regrets...Huge stream, only get up once a night at the most, ejaculaton is normal...feel like a new person...Don't hesitate to have this surgery....
I'm 64 and I had mine on Jan 27th. Stream is ok but not as good as it was the first few days. Had some leaks and wet sheets a couple of times but no more. Many times when I'm in certain positions or when my clothes shift in a certain way, I can feel some intense urgency, but it will stop. That still happens after six months. I'm still getting up about the same number of times each night but the main advantage is that I don't have to strain and stand there five mins to get out an ounce. So at least my trips are shorter and it's more likely I'll go back to sleep.

I also have retrograde ejaculation which I'm not really happy with, but at least orgasms are just as much relief as before, just no mess. But it IS a strange feeling. I was expecting fewer wake-ups but really no regrets so far.
Mukherjee

Bangalore, India

#532 Aug 25, 2011
Dr want to do Green light treatment in India wheather it has done India?
Henry

Clearwater, FL

#533 Sep 17, 2011
Had Green Laser almost 3 years ago with a very experienced urologist who teaches Green Laser techniques to other urologists.It took one year to reduce trace blood in urine to zero.The second year urine retention was still almost 200cc.The third year urine retention has been as high as 280cc and I am getting up 3 to 4 times a night.I know mem that have had the classical TURP and the procedure has corrected urine flow for more than 15 years.The Green Laser is not really effective as promoted and is oversold in my experience.If the urine retention continues to rise I will probably need a repeat prostate surgery which I am told could result in incontinence.
dave

Newport, WA

#534 Oct 19, 2011
68y/o contemplating the procedure. As many of you have said, the doc has downplayed the side effects as rare and not likely. I get up 2-4 times nightly, dribble somewhat while unrinating, weak stream. The scope diagnosis was very painful so am very worried about going ahead with procedure as I am still active generally. Recommend??
rockman

Winter Springs, FL

#535 Oct 29, 2011
MikeInFla wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations (or doctors/facilities to stay away from) for Urologists in the orlando area. It looks like I am going to have to have surgery to correct my BPH condition
Did you find an experienced Dr. looking since Aug. Orl. St Aug Melborne. So far I have not gotten the answers I want. before laying on the table.
Mihail Belchev Bulgaria

Sofia, Bulgaria

#536 Nov 25, 2011
I just took the Green laser surgery 2 months ago, in Bulgarian local clinic. I am 57 years and I'm feeling great!
The symptoms of non-stop urination fade away as soon as I woke up the next morning and they let me go home! I am grateful, that in such a small East-European country we have chance to receive a normal high-standard medical procedure.
The stream is fine, the night wakings are around 2 to 3 times. I am happy, that I did it for myself, instead of classical TURP!
Dwight

Balwyn North, Australia

#537 Nov 30, 2011
Had PVP on 15 Nov 2011. In at 9am, and out by 10am, and up by 11AM. Lunch by 12noon, catheter out by 1PM, and left hospital by 2:30PM - without catheter. That afternoon I was out taking photos. Had a big fish & chips dinner that night.

Instant, significantly improved urine flow the very first time, encountered at hospital. Minimal blood with every voiding that day, accompanied by stinging, burning sensation in the penis while urinating. This disappeared when I woke up the next morning. Bowel movement during this morning was constipation (due to anaethetic) but no issues since then. I am taking cranberry capsules to ensure urinary tract health. Also took some Ural in week 1. Other than that, NO medication - except 2 Panadols on the day of PVP.

So far, it has been "uneventful". The most eventful was on day 6 when voiding seemed to be blocked. But within 5 minutes, on a 2nd voiding attempt, a 10 cent piece of scab shot out from the penis with the sound of a pop gun. There has been a second large size scab ejected during voiding.

Urgency is still present, as expwected. The bladder needs time to readjust to the not having an obstructive prostate.Since 4 days ago, I have begin to have bladder (all very tolerable) spasms when I fionish voiding - sensation like bladder is still full when one knows the bladder has been emptied.

Still getting up 1-3 times a night, BUT I am drinking much MORE (plain) water day and night! Hight water intake is strongly recommended in the PVP recovery process. I have yet to return to coffe, prefering instead to stick to tea with milk, and peppermint tea for beverages.

Been out walking (very brisk) in lieu of my usual running. Have thrown in some brief runs while walking twice. The 1st time was on day 13, and there was a slight trace of blood in urine immediately I finished that walk that ended in a sprint. No blood since. Yesterday, did the same thing and no blood. Instructed to stay off running for 2 weeks - that is up yesterday. But I will give it a few more days and return to running late this week.

I am keeping a detailed log of all my voiding sessions, with actual time. Also have collected specimen of some voiding, and taken photos to examine.On and off, the urine, even when totally free of blood, has a "cloudy" consistency to it. This is likely to be the micro scabs that are passed out.

I hope this will help people who are recovering just like I am, or considering surgery for BPH. Don't wait too long - until retention hits and one has to be cathetered at the emnergency room. The longer one persistes with BPH, the more damage to the bladder, lessening the bladder's chance of ever returning to its "pristine" condition, even after PVP or TURP.

I have never been for any procedure at a hospital. This is my first time, and I was understandably very anxious and nervous. So far, so good. Every one recovers at a different pace.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What is a urologist? What do urologists do? (Dec '14) 21 min plassila 66
GreenLight Laser Surgery Complications (May '07) Mar 25 bertalan1 1,457
Plasma button surgery for BPH (Dec '11) Mar 6 Drew 214
News Black Men at Greater Risk for Prostate Cancer: ... Mar 2 Paul 6
prostate pain at night? (Jan '11) Feb '17 Hello 38
Managing Urinary Incontinence After Prostatecto... (Jun '11) Jan '17 williedynomite 20
News Should Gerard Depardieu Have Worn Adult Diapers... (Aug '11) Jan '17 kirton 2
More from around the web