PVP GreenLight Laser Treatment
Charles

Richmond, VA

#476 Aug 11, 2010
rick2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess one thing we all need to keep in mind is that most people dont comment unless they have a complaint, hence the not so good stories, Ive had a fantastic result with my surgery done now 15mths ago and although I still read updates here out of interest, I dont remind everyone that I had a great result every week, and perhaps if I had a crap result I might have said it once never contributed again, and perhaps if it were great I may never have commented as I was so happy I just went on with life. So the not so good and good on this forum may not be a good sample of the actual result.
You have to make your own decision however. but for me this Green Laser was absoulutely the right choice. I was told I might need it again in 10-15 years, and Ill be queuing up again no questions asked, even though I did find recovery a difficult 3mth process with some big hurdles, like bleeding and major urgency (almost explosive without warning - had to wear pads as soon as I wanted to go I had gone, no way of stopping it)but what surgery is easy, lets face it, a controlled burn off must have recovery issues.
Im only 50 now, had a 8oz prostate, 30% reduction, had not urinated without a catheter for two years prior to surgery . I do not have retrograde ejaculation since surgery but I did before.(I have posted before that I used to use ephydrine 60mgs 30mins or so before sex and that stopped my retrogade ejaculation - any longer and it didnt work). I never get up during the night to pee anymore. Occassionally if I strain with some physical activity I will bleed when i next pee, but it stops again so surgeon says to accept it. Its cool. Flow test is perfect, so a big thumbs up from me for my results from this surgery.
I am 10 months out and I "ditto" Rick2's comment. The procedure gave me back my life.

Since: Aug 10

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#477 Aug 13, 2010
TURP vs PVP

Iíve been reading this site for 3 yrs and thank everyone for sharing their experiences. Iím 56 and have had BPH for 10 yrs. I had indigo laser 5 yrs ago. It helped a bit but not for long. My symptoms continued to worsen to where urinating became very difficult and the urgency extreme. Flomax and Avodart did not provide sufficient relief. I knew surgery was inevitable but held off as long as I could.

In addition to extensive online research I visited 3 different urologists. I also had all the usual tests. The first uro recommended a TURP but was cavalier re. retrograde ejaculation (100% certain with either procedure and ďso whatĒ). The second also said TURP but didnít do PVP. So I set out to find a doctor with extensive experience in both.

That was Nicolas Muruve of the Cleveland Clinic in Weston. He said heíd do whichever procedure I wished but also favored TURP. However, he went into considerable detail on the pros and cons of each: With TURP, patients get immediate relief whereas most PVP patients experience burning and urgency for 2 months or so. He believes that, at the hands of a competent surgeon, risks of TURP and PVP are comparable. Retrograde is a likely outcome of either procedure when tissue is removed near the bladder neck. This was consistent with my own research. The only sure way to reduce the likelihood of RE is to work on the lower lateral lobes of the prostate only. For most patients this may not provide sufficient or longlasting relief. Since my problem was an enlarged median lobe obstructing the bladder neck, RE was highly likely with either procedure.

So, after years of swearing Iíd never have a TURP, thatís what I chose. My procedure was done 8 days ago. I checked into the hospital at 1 p.m. on a Thursday and had surgery at 5. I had a spinal block so I was awake during the entire procedure which lasted only about 20 minutes. I spent one night in the hospital with a catheter that was removed at 10 the next morning. I had no pain whatsoever, even after the spinal wore off. After ascertaining that I could urinate on my own, the hospital released me at 1 p.m. on Friday.

The results were immediate and dramatic. My first urination was unlike any Iíve had in years. For about 6 hrs following removal of the cath, I had the feeling that I had to pee constantly. By Friday evening, that feeling subsided and my urine, which had been pink most of the day, was clear. I awoke only once during the night to pee and fully voided on my first urination in the morning. The only reminder of the surgery, other than the stream of a teenager, was a very slight burning at the tip of my penis after peeing. I was, and still am, able to go hours between urinations and have no urgency whatsoever. I was back to office work on Monday. All in all, I could not be happier with my outcome.

Dr. Muruve said my lateral lobes were not enlarged (a result of the earlier indigo?) but he described my median lobe as ďimpressiveĒ. He also noted that my bladder neck was unusually small and he enlarged it with a slight incision during the TURP. As a result of years of straining my bladder has become trabeculated (thick walls with weblike muscle structures). I actually saw this, and my enlarged median lobe, myself when a doctor allowed me to look through the scope during an earlier cystoscopy. Fortunately for me, this hasnít created any real problem but it does illustrate the risk of waiting too long for surgery.

I havenít yet confirmed RE but I fully expect it. Iíll know for sure in about a week. I know I wonít be happy about it but I could no longer live as I was. Besides, letís face it, we all pee a lot more often than we come.

As a result of my experience, I now believe fears surrounding TURP are grossly overblown and the advantages of PVP are equally overstated. I realize everyoneís situation and experience is different but I would urge anyone needing surgery to seriously consider both options before making a decision.
Bonedaddy

United States

#478 Aug 15, 2010
I am still healing after 2 weeks now. Going for checkup tomorrow. Penis tip sometimes hurts, peeing better, still some blood and clots passing, I am getting up now just 2 times versus 8. Expect continued improvement, now waiting on SEX.
Bonedaddy

United States

#479 Aug 20, 2010
3 weeks today. Get up average 2 times now versus 6-8 times before. Still reddish urine. Doc says expect to heal for 3 months or longer, getting better along the way. Had sex last night, a little nervous, but BIG SURPRISE, NO RETROGRADE!!!! MY JUNK WORKS!! I am the BONEDADDY AGAIN!!! Dr. Anglade told me he took extra time in the prostate mixing area because I was so concerned about retrograde ejaculation. Good call Doc. Good job Doc. I hope to be better than I have been in years. KEYS FOR SUCCESS>>>>>Get a Doc who has done this surgery hundreds of times.
Bonedaddy

United States

#480 Aug 22, 2010
Last couple of nights got up only once, at 5:00 am. Normally get up at 6:30am anyway!!! So I get 6.5 hours uninterrupted sleep then go back to bed for a bit....WONDERFUL WHEN YOUR JUNK WORKS!!!
Bobby

United States

#481 Aug 24, 2010
rick2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess one thing we all need to keep in mind is that most people dont comment unless they have a complaint, hence the not so good stories, Ive had a fantastic result with my surgery done now 15mths ago and although I still read updates here out of interest, I dont remind everyone that I had a great result every week, and perhaps if I had a crap result I might have said it once never contributed again, and perhaps if it were great I may never have commented as I was so happy I just went on with life. So the not so good and good on this forum may not be a good sample of the actual result.
You have to make your own decision however. but for me this Green Laser was absoulutely the right choice. I was told I might need it again in 10-15 years, and Ill be queuing up again no questions asked, even though I did find recovery a difficult 3mth process with some big hurdles, like bleeding and major urgency (almost explosive without warning - had to wear pads as soon as I wanted to go I had gone, no way of stopping it)but what surgery is easy, lets face it, a controlled burn off must have recovery issues.
Im only 50 now, had a 8oz prostate, 30% reduction, had not urinated without a catheter for two years prior to surgery . I do not have retrograde ejaculation since surgery but I did before.(I have posted before that I used to use ephydrine 60mgs 30mins or so before sex and that stopped my retrogade ejaculation - any longer and it didnt work). I never get up during the night to pee anymore. Occassionally if I strain with some physical activity I will bleed when i next pee, but it stops again so surgeon says to accept it. Its cool. Flow test is perfect, so a big thumbs up from me for my results from this surgery.
Hey Rick,

I also had been using a catheter for past few years. Just had the surgery 10 days ago but now have to pee every 15 minutes as if there is still a blockage. I'm back to self-cathing and pretty demoralized. Surgeon can't explain why this is happening. Did abything similar happen with you? Don't know what to do right now.
rick2

Gold Coast, Australia

#482 Aug 29, 2010
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Rick,
I also had been using a catheter for past few years. Just had the surgery 10 days ago but now have to pee every 15 minutes as if there is still a blockage. I'm back to self-cathing and pretty demoralized. Surgeon can't explain why this is happening. Did abything similar happen with you? Don't know what to do right now.
i had some problems with bleeding and clotting that saw me back in hospital about 7 weeks after surgery for a few days and they had to put a catheter in and I used one for a few days after that but that was only 7 weeks or so after surgery and since then nothing. I had major urgency after surgery had to wear a pad it was not nice but just part of the process i was told and it passed too, VERY VERY happy with the final outcome however, rarely wake up during the night, go when I want to, no urgency no catheters no more infections.
Bonedaddy

United States

#483 Aug 30, 2010
Most recent problem is the MAJOR URGENCY sometimes when I have to pee. I mean right then. However, sleeping much better, overall peeing better. Bottom line is I would elect to do again knowing current state of affairs.
Bonedaddy

United States

#484 Sep 8, 2010
MAJOR URGENCY WILL ROBINSON when I have to pee. I mean right then. I have pissed a little in my pants from time to time. I understand this too will pass. Other than the urgency problem I am good to go. Anybody else have this issue? Did it go away?
Bonedaddy

United States

#485 Sep 8, 2010
rick2 wrote:
<quoted text>
i had some problems with bleeding and clotting that saw me back in hospital about 7 weeks after surgery for a few days and they had to put a catheter in and I used one for a few days after that but that was only 7 weeks or so after surgery and since then nothing. I had major urgency after surgery had to wear a pad it was not nice but just part of the process i was told and it passed too, VERY VERY happy with the final outcome however, rarely wake up during the night, go when I want to, no urgency no catheters no more infections.
Rick, how long did you have this urgency thing and how bad was it?
rick2

Benowa, Australia

#486 Sep 12, 2010
Bonedaddy wrote:
<quoted text>
Rick, how long did you have this urgency thing and how bad was it?
hi bonedaddy, when i say major i mean major, like I had no notice, I wore an incontinence pad, and i had just enough warning to grab on to it and hold it against me tight and let go and hope for the best, it was really only bad for a short time, I cant remember now to be honest, 2 weeks maybe, but irrespective of all that, that worst you would do to yourself was wet yourself in public if you didnt have bad on, that never happend, there was some overflow sometimes but thats cool, I used to laugh to myself if people only knew what I was really doing at the time
Peter

Brooklyn, NY

#487 Sep 17, 2010
I have found this forum to be hugely comforting.

We live in Costa Rica - it has now been ten days since my procedure. I am 65 and my prostate was approaching the size of my ego - highly inflated. I removed the catheter 2 hrs after the operation - not without thinking of Burt Reynolds in "Semi-Tough".

The bad news is that I developed acute pain on the right side that came in waves several times a day. The best guess is that the laser caused the right kidney duct into the bladder to become inflamed and pinch off. It was not a lot of fun, but pain abated after three days. I became a great fan of Vicodin for those days. Now pain is now insignificant and limited.

At this juncture, I am having occasional blood spotting. I started to worry a couple of days ago as my urethra became constricted after passing a bit of blood. For the past few days (days 7-9 post-op), uringation has been strained. This morning, things are back to normal.

I have had brief glimpses of the promises of this procedure. Occassionally, I can pee better than pre-op. The observations of others further along on their reocvery path have been helpful in keeping perspective. The inactivity is driving me nuts. My medications end today and I will drive tomorrow. Chasing my beautiful wife is now becomming a really good idea, but she has promised the doctor that she will run faster than me for another 2-1/2 weeks.

I appreciate the posts of those who have gone before,

Peter
Peter

Brooklyn, NY

#488 Sep 17, 2010
Peter wrote:
I removed the catheter 2 hrs after the operation ,
Peter
I was probably still in the recovery room 2 hrs after the operation. That should read 24 hours.
Jerry

Beardstown, IL

#489 Oct 9, 2010
Cliff wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you experience frequency after the procedure, or were you able to go several hours w/o urinating, but felt urgency when you finally went?
I am only 40 and am having this done on June 20th.
I'm a teacher, so I have the whole summer to lay around and heal. I'm hoping that my age, coupled with 10 weeks with nothing to do but sit/lay around and relax, will give me an advantage in the healing department, and that I'll be able to go back to my job in September and not feel like I have to race out of class in the middle of teaching.
Hi I read you're post and decided to to respond. I know it's been a while since you posted and I don't know if you will ever see this. I am 40 yo and my urologist wants me to have the green light therapy because of my enlarged prostate. I'd like to know how you are doing now post surgery. would you recommend this procedure now?
John

Baltimore, MD

#490 Oct 11, 2010
Bob C New Hampshire wrote:
I may have Laser Therapy to shrink my prostate due to frequent urination (20 plus times a day!). I just started taking Uroxatral and hope that it will solve my problem. Anyone out there taking Uroxatral? And did it help. The Urologist described the laster procedure as being pretty simple ("...like taking pulp from inside of an orange..") and the marketing literature (GreenLight Laser) makes the whole deal a cake walk. I'm scared.
All med vieos make things seem like a walk in the park. I for one, have never had a "routine" sugery result. I've been considering it myself but am also scared. Oraxatal, Flowmax and newest one, Rapaflow do not really wotk for me. Hytrin is the only one that has been helpfull-try it before surgery. It's noe generic and cheap.
john
rick2u

Clayfield, Australia

#491 Oct 16, 2010
John wrote:
<quoted text>
All med vieos make things seem like a walk in the park. I for one, have never had a "routine" sugery result. I've been considering it myself but am also scared. Oraxatal, Flowmax and newest one, Rapaflow do not really wotk for me. Hytrin is the only one that has been helpfull-try it before surgery. It's noe generic and cheap.
john
Hi john, I cant advise you what to do, I too had to make a decision I found a surgeon I was comfortable with, he didnt gloss over it, in fact he did warn me the worst case scenario, and when they were not realised after I had healed he apologised for doing that but said he never likes to give false hope, or have people approach this with ignorance. I found the recovery a bit hard, but overall what surgery is actually easy, you still get knocked around by it, but I can say for me the end result is fantastic, and if I needed it again in years to come (being only 51 now that is possible) I would be only too happy to queue up again. Good luck
Will Vattana

West Islip, NY

#492 Nov 2, 2010
Hi David,
I saw your post and would like to know if you don't mind, if I could talk to you about the the green light pvp surgery you had with Dr. Kasabian. I am seriously thinking of having it done but wanted to be sure. My email address is [email protected]
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Will
David Sharp wrote:
Hi Everyone!
I want people to know that the greenlight laser treatment for BPH really works! Photovaporization of the prostate is the best procedure available to treat BPH, in my opinion. The greenlight procedure is minimally invasive and the results are durable. I had mine performed by Nabet Kasabian, M.D., a well know urologist in New York City. I highly recommend Dr. Kasabian and this procedure. You can learn more about Dr. Kasabian by visiting his website, http://www.parkaveurology.com/
David Sharp
New York City
Will Vattana

West Islip, NY

#493 Nov 3, 2010
Hi,
I am so glad to have found this blog and been reading postings. Does anyone know or had good experience with Urologist in New York specially with green light pvp experience? I live in Long Island, New York. Any information would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Will
Will Vattana

West Islip, NY

#494 Nov 3, 2010
Hi Bobby,
I have been suffering from BPH past 6-7 years and am now seriously considering having a green light pvp surgery which everyone was talking about. From your experience, it doesn't sound good at all. Who did you have surgery with, which doctor in NY? I have been serching for good urologist in NY and having found one that would take my insurance.
Any advice regarding good urologist would be great.
Thanks
Will
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Rick,
John in New Jersey

Berkeley Heights, NJ

#496 Dec 20, 2010
I hope I'm not double posting here, but it seems my comment, of about 5 minutes ago, is not showing up. Okay, one more time from the top.

I'm considering the Greenlight procedure after my urologist gave a seminar on it. Much depends on whether my health insurance (AmeriHealth HMO) covers it. If not I will wait 2 years when, at 65, I will be eligible for Medicare. Medicare, I am told, will cover Greenlight.

Thank you all for your meticulous updates on the aftermath of this procedure. I've set up a meeting with my urologist next week to discuss side effects, their probability, the number of these procedures he has performed. I've been with this urologist for 5 years, when I first began having urinary infections. Last year he did a biopsy; the result was a great relief. At worst I was suffering from prostatitis. I trust this man, who has always taken extra time with me after my check ups to see how I was doing. I believe he will give me accurate information on his experience.

This forum has been quite sobering. Other than the botched procedures, which seem to be the outliers on this forum (scarring that in effect reverses the procedure, permanent incontinence due to a perforated bladder which may (or may not) have been caused by the laser)the majority of side effects seem temporary and do-able. The thing I worry about is having to be recatherized in the days and weeks afterward.

Here's why I've written, here's my question. I read here that some guys "self catheterize." I didn't know that was possible. I assumed catherterization was too painful to self administer. But guys in the forum who give otherwise detailed accounts just toss it off like "then I took two Tylenols," with no further comment. Certainly, it must be uncomfortable, but is the procedure so minimally painful that it doesn't bear notice?

Thanks to all. And if I do go through with the procedure I will be here to offer my experience to others.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
green light laser side effects (Sep '15) Jul 13 redloam 18
prostate pain at night? (Jan '11) Jul 6 Anon1256 39
News Black Men at Greater Risk for Prostate Cancer: ... Jul 4 T-BOS 10
News Study on why BLACK men die from prostate cancer... Jun 22 SadButTrue 7
GreenLight Laser Surgery Complications (May '07) May '17 Erknok88 1,458
Plasma button surgery for BPH (Dec '11) May '17 cali 217
Managing Urinary Incontinence After Prostatecto... (Jun '11) Jan '17 williedynomite 20
More from around the web