PVP GreenLight Laser Treatment
John

Hampton Bays, NY

#411 Nov 1, 2009
Update on green light surgery
Had it done 10/15/09 ,they took out foley 10/19 Was peeing better but last wednesday noticed that my urine flow was stopping in the middle of it and having pressure finishing, Not happy about that. As of now still feeling pressure while urinating. Seeing the doctor tomorrow . Can't live like this. At least can go in my own even its not much.
Rick2

Southport, Australia

#412 Nov 1, 2009
David - Hampshire UK wrote:
I am due to have Greenlight surgery in 10 days. I am worried about retrograde ejaculation. I have heard some things that are not so good. The last thing I want is to lose the sensation of normal ejaculation. The doctors say I won't but please can I have some feed back of people's actual experiences. I am 72 but with plenty of sexually active years left in me. Many thanks.
Hi David, Ive written this before but no one seemed to notice, I used ephedrine 60mg prior to surgery as I had retrograde ejaculation prior to greelight due to size of prostate. This worked a treat giving me fantastic post grad ejaculations but I found if I waited much more than an hour, no ejeculatoin at all.
Since surgery my ejaculation was inititally post grad but has not settled down to an odd combination of both, some comes some doesnt, but it still feels great, when I only had retrograde ejeculatoin was a waste of time I felt not much at all. I still find if I use ephidrine 60mg, I have full post grad ejaculatoin does something to the sphincter muscle. Studies show the drug tofranil has a similar effect in about 30% of people. BUT, I dont rate my ability to ejeculate as heavily as my ability to now sleep thru the night and not be rushing to the toilet every 10mins for almost useless attempts at weeing and as the final two year prior to surgery I was internmitant catheterization I have to weigh it all up. Im 50, ejaculations are not as they were, but I can wee sleep and live an easier much less complicated life. I guess you have to weight it up. Try ephidrine see what it does for you, if it works before surgery as it did with me it might work after as it does with me, but ejaculation for has far more sensation post surgery than before with no drugs so I rarely bother now. Good luck mate,
David - Hampshire UK

Craigavon, UK

#413 Nov 2, 2009
Rick2, Thanks very much for your feedback, very useful.
John

Hampton Bays, NY

#414 Nov 3, 2009
Returned to doctor due to burning and pressure while urinating.Doctor prescribed phenazopyridine and he took a urine culture, said I may have a UTI. and he said the green light surgery will take about 6 weeks to heal. Its frustrating as I am urinating every 1/2 hour with that meds my urine is red orange burning is less but still have the urgency to go and have pressure.Its tough as you want to get out but hard as you need quick excess to bathroom. Have to hope it will improve.
ciro

United States

#415 Nov 13, 2009
I have the green laser precudere nov/05/2009 and today nov/13/09 I fell wonderfull I am not suffering any more of BPH, I did it in south florida at CLEVELAND CLINIC in weston/FLORIDA .
I recomended to any one\greeting at all.

ciro
John

Hampton Bays, NY

#416 Nov 13, 2009
Latest update on Green light laser precudere
I had this done on 10/19/09 I am starting to flow much better and the time between going is getting longer, Dr Mills did the precudere and he said it will get better with time, no more bladder spasms thank god, I would recomended this precudere for anyone with BPH
Rick2

Southport, Australia

#417 Nov 15, 2009
David - Hampshire UK wrote:
Rick2, Thanks very much for your feedback, very useful.
thanks David Ill be interested to hear if it works for you
JohnM Saskatoon

Saskatoon, Canada

#418 Nov 28, 2009
I am 59. I have had BPH symptoms for about 20 years and used saw palmetto along with diet changes to manage. Looking back I can see that things were getting worse gradually yet almost imperceptibly until my bladder finally shut down after a couple of days of fairly challenging physical activity.
I have been using a foley catheter since October 2.

I would like to thank everyone for their posts. They have been so helpful in my
planning process and I don't feel quite so all alone in this amazing process.

I have green light laser surgery scheduled for December 8 and am meeting with my wife and my urologists December 3. I live in Canada and we have medicare which will cover virtually all the financial costs. And all of our hospitals are teaching hospitals so one thing I have to do is insist on not having a student (resident surgeon) do the operation.

I am compiling a list of questions for the Dec. 3 meeting and would appreciate any input that from you that might help us with this meeting.
Charles

United States

#419 Nov 29, 2009
JohnM Saskatoon wrote:
I am 59. I have had BPH symptoms for about 20 years and used saw palmetto along with diet changes to manage. Looking back I can see that things were getting worse gradually yet almost imperceptibly until my bladder finally shut down after a couple of days of fairly challenging physical activity.
I have been using a foley catheter since October 2.
I would like to thank everyone for their posts. They have been so helpful in my
planning process and I don't feel quite so all alone in this amazing process.
I have green light laser surgery scheduled for December 8 and am meeting with my wife and my urologists December 3. I live in Canada and we have medicare which will cover virtually all the financial costs. And all of our hospitals are teaching hospitals so one thing I have to do is insist on not having a student (resident surgeon) do the operation.
I am compiling a list of questions for the Dec. 3 meeting and would appreciate any input that from you that might help us with this meeting.
JohnM, I had the procedure 8 weeks ago and can only describe the results as a miracle, since I had been incapacitated by BPH for 20 years. The most important thing by far is the experience of the surgeon. I spent four years searching for someone that I trusted. My doc has been doing about two PVPs per week for the last four years. So ask how many PVPs your surgeon has done. The doc can predict much of the outcome after you have a cystoscopy and he looks inside the gland and the bladder. The big question is how much bladder damage has occurred. My bladder is improving to a greater degree than I had expected. Even though I had a very large prostate, I didn't get retrograde ejaculation. That outcome depends largely on how the prostate is enlarged and what tissue must be removed to clear the blockage. One last thing. I got infected after the procedure. The only sign of that occurring is a stream that gets slower in the first days after surgery. Antibiotics at that point can prevent a bad outcome later. And drink a lot of water. Most important. Good luck.
cmiri19

New Baltimore, MI

#420 Nov 29, 2009
GMP wrote:
<quoted text>
CWW... if you are still checking this forum I'd like to know who your urologist was. I live in Austin, not far from you, and my urologist wants me to have the Green Light procedure. I'm doing as much research as I can about this and came across this forum. I just want to see if we have the same urologist because your experience with the procedure is quite disturbing.
I too had a kidney oreter blocked. Mine was follow up surgery to clear scar tissue and doctor went "too far" with the laser. Got home and had the worst pain in the left kidney area I have ever felt. Went to ER and emergency surgery that night but could not get stent in. Finally, had the intervention radiologist put stent in through that back (while awake and some pain meds) to relieve the and open up the kidney. Kidney was purforated. My stent comes out this week Dec 1st. Would like to know what your outcome of the kidney problem was. How long will you have to monitor to make sure oreters do not close back up with scar tissue etc?
Glen

Cordova, TN

#421 Dec 6, 2009
I had a procedure in 2004 called a Trans-utural-needle-oblation <spelling? T.U.N.A <shortened. I tube was inserted in my penis and I was given a novacaine type pain medicine. I was awake and watched the whole procedure on t.v. while it was being done. There was no pain or discomfort. I had to wear a cat. for 14 days. That was longer than the procedure called for in the write ups about the procedure, but my doctor wanted me to wear it longer. After removal of the cat. I felt like a 20 year old again. I could knock the filter off a filter cigarette that was thrown in the urinal again. I do not smoke. I was normal again. That lasted about 3 years until what ever makes the prostate become enlarged, happened again. I spoke with my doctor and he suggested that I have the Green light done because he said it would last longer. I had that done Nov 20, 2009. I was put to sleep, the procedure was performed, I had a cat. in for one day. When removed, I had a burning at the beginning of urination and passed blood for 3 weeks. Now I have a burning at the end of urination and I feel like I still need to go. I am not satisfied with the way I feel right now, but am hoping things will improve with time. I like the T.U.N.A. procedure better and would have had it done again as opposed to the way I feel now.
rick2

Southport, Australia

#422 Dec 6, 2009
so many fors and againts, happy, not happys, I used this forum to make my decision, chose my surgeon who does 5 a day (one day a week) and had dont 1000s of them, there were times I Felt I woudl die after the proceedure but you have to give it time time. 6mths down the track, I bet anyone hearing me pee in the next stall who is having problems would be cursing me wishing they could pee like me, so happy, I dont even leak or dribble or peeing now, no spasms, no catheters, I guess you just have to allow time, and hope you have had a good job done, Id be queuing up agian for green light in the future, which I know is likely given that Im only 50, my prostate was 250grams, 1/3 was burnt away, my PSA is now 4, it was 11, and I can still orgasm, but thats me, pity this forum doesnst have a satisfaction meter, so we can just put our feelings on a meter and let people see how many are actually happy with the final outcome and those who are not. i bet the happys win, Im glad for this forum, I had never heard of the proceedure till I ended up here one day, and TURP was not possible with me, i was in a bad place.

Since: May 09

Washington, DC

#423 Dec 6, 2009
Just to follow up on my case. I used to read this forum with a passion trying to decide what to do and hoping I had made the right decision.
I had PVP on May 6 2009, and it took a while to decide if it worked. Initially , I had an infection that went undiagnosed for a few weeks. This hurt my healing process, but nevertheless, when I did get the Levequin, my protatitis went away and I healed. I feel really good now. I am happy. I had a followup Uroflow test and just scored 100%. My Doc was like, "wow". I do have retrograde which I am not thrilled with. Yes, it does make a difference to some of us, but I am learning to accept it. I am better off altogether now and can return to a normal life of bathroom breaks. As many of you know, having to constantly locate a bathroom no matter where you are, is a weird disability, and then to go there every hour is downright depressing. I think in the long run, this operation will get much better and will seem barbaric ( mark my words ), but for now it is a blessing. I hope it works for you and you may contact me if wish to discuss . mackg@goodweb.org
James

Apple Valley, CA

#424 Dec 9, 2009
mike wrote:
Has anyone had this procedure for bph? What kind of results did you get?
I had the procedure done 12/7/09. It was minimal general anesthetic and I was awake soon after with no nausea. I have no real pain, I have been using pyridium every 12 hours for lower urinary pain. I will use this short script until it runs out in a few more days. I an also on Bactrim and sulfa based antibiotic. My catheter was removed the next day and I am doing fine.

If you are having urinary problems from BPH I recommend this procedure. Take the time to find a good Dr. that does a lot of them with a high success rate. The Dr.s experience is a major factor in this.

Do some research so you know what may happen after that way you will know if things are going OK. Be sure and ask questions, you will feel better with the knowledge.
JohnM Saskatoon

Saskatoon, Canada

#425 Dec 15, 2009
I had the pvp surgery a week ago, had a general anesthetic, and a catheter for 2 days afterwards. I was out of the hospital about 3 hours post surgery. I am passing some clots and some blood and going about every 1.5 hours with a bit of pain. Every day I feel better and things generally improve. What after a relief to have no catheter. My flow is better that I can remember. I am very happy with the way this is working out.
Mike

Littleton, CO

#426 Dec 21, 2009
53 years old ....I had Green light Laser Surgery in June of '09 with good results till October. At about November '09 started to experience weak flow with pain and immediately went back to the doctor. Was told that "scar tissue" had formed and had re-proformed the operation 1st week of December. Not any easier the 2nd time. I wish I was told that this possibly could happen....Hopefully, this will address the situation and will be able to place this problem behind me....
Chuck

Romeoville, IL

#427 Dec 22, 2009
Had PVP 12/09/09 and had some painful bladder spasms for a few days, but pretty well gone when 2 day catheter was removed. Getting up about 3 times a night now, instead of 4 or 5, but hopefully that will improve in time. Stronger stream, but of short duration. No pain, no blood. Daytime not much improved yet, as going every hour or two yet, and urgency is markedly worse. However, I am optimistic all these things will be better, with time. It has only been 2 weeks after all.
Ken

Overland Park, KS

#428 Dec 30, 2009
I had PVP on December 1 and left with a catheter. I removed the catheter the next morning and could not urinate so went to emergency room to have catheter put it. I took the second catheter out after two days and was able to urinate. Burned for the first two weeks. I experienced blood twice when I tried to force a bowel movement. Those were the only two times I saw blood. Used to go between 6-8 times a night and never more than an hour without having to get up. Getting up 3-5 times a night now and last night I went 3 hours without having to get up on two separate occassions. Urgency is still there but not extreme as before. Feels less urgent after procedure. No burning or bleeding. Urologist stated I was right on track and should show significant improvement over next 90 days. Too early to tell if the procedure was a success, however I do feel that there has been a dramatic improvement since the procedure if from nothing else than an urgency and frequency perspective.
John

Brisbane, Australia

#429 Jan 16, 2010
rick2 wrote:
so many fors and againts, happy, not happys, I used this forum to make my decision, chose my surgeon who does 5 a day (one day a week) and had dont 1000s of them, there were times I Felt I woudl die after the proceedure but you have to give it time time. 6mths down the track, I bet anyone hearing me pee in the next stall who is having problems would be cursing me wishing they could pee like me, so happy, I dont even leak or dribble or peeing now, no spasms, no catheters, I guess you just have to allow time, and hope you have had a good job done, Id be queuing up agian for green light in the future, which I know is likely given that Im only 50, my prostate was 250grams, 1/3 was burnt away, my PSA is now 4, it was 11, and I can still orgasm, but thats me, pity this forum doesnst have a satisfaction meter, so we can just put our feelings on a meter and let people see how many are actually happy with the final outcome and those who are not. i bet the happys win, Im glad for this forum, I had never heard of the proceedure till I ended up here one day, and TURP was not possible with me, i was in a bad place.
Rick I am in Brisbane as well and are considering greenlight laser surgery rahter than TURP. Who was your surgeon?
john

Hampton Bays, NY

#430 Jan 16, 2010
I had green light in octerber It does take time I'm getting up only once or twice a night now compared to 4 or 5 befor the surgery. My doctor took me off procar said I don't need it now. What did your doctor think about this and did they take you off prostate meds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What is a urologist? What do urologists do? (Dec '14) Jul 1 thenose 3
Prostate cancer spread to tumour in spine Jun 24 Another PC Patient 2
Plasma button surgery for BPH (Dec '11) Jun 23 jayp 194
GreenLight Laser Surgery Complications (May '07) Jun 20 Depressed NYer 1,431
Green Light Laser surgery for BPH prostate (Feb '12) Jun 8 David stern 39
News "Virax Holdings Limited (PTX) - Pharmaceuticals... May '15 St_Nick 2
News The 10 commandments of cancer prevention (May '09) May '15 usherhollens 17
More from around the web