PVP GreenLight Laser Treatment
rick2u

Australia

#367 Aug 17, 2009
Hendrik wrote:
Help! I have been on anti biotics for 2 years. Cipro, Bactrim, Tetracyclin. I have low grade fever and BPH symtoms all the time. My quality of life is terrible. I am thinking of doing Green Light PVP. Any suggestions?
I had similar issues,life now is great, no drugs, pee when needed, only you can make the choice but it quality is low what do you have to lose.
Hendrik

United States

#368 Aug 17, 2009
RICK2U wrote " I had similar issues,life now is great, no drugs, pee when needed, only you can make the choice but it quality is low what do you have to lose."

Do you suggest the Green light PVP
rick2u

Australia

#369 Aug 18, 2009
Gee, only you can make that decision but Im very have I chose to have it, because it worked, and my quality of life improved dramatically and continues to do so. Good luck, but who wants to live on antibiotics and that they bring for the rest of their lives.
Don from Frisco TX

Dallas, TX

#370 Aug 26, 2009
I had GL PVP on 8/11/09 and am just entering my third post-op week. I had a bladder spasm in the recovery room. This was extremely painful and I had to wait more than an hour for the nurse to obtain approval to administer a suppository, which eased the spasm very quickly. I was sent home with a catheter (Foley) with instruction to remove it, a.m. of 8/12. Had some heavy bleeding, which persisted for a week or so. Amount of bleeding has tapered off, but I still have some, two weeks post-op. I screwed up and drank orange juice at the end of the first week and bleeding increased, again.From Internet research I gathered that I was to avoid coffee, tea, spicy foods or additives and ALCOHOL during the recovery period. I also drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day.(continued)
Don from Frisco TX

Dallas, TX

#371 Aug 26, 2009
I plan to continue hydrating and avoiding coffee etc. until 2 weeks AFTER the bleeding stops. No particular authority--just my own convictions. I have passed numerous blood clots, some as large a a dime, with no ill effects.I am 66 years old and fully retired. Frisco is a suburb of Dallas, TX and I had my surgery done by a urologist in the Baylor Medical Center complex named Joshua Fine. He told me he has done hundreds of these procedures. I have a little different take on when to have the surgery and how to relate to one's Uro's. Once you find a competent physician, I think it's better to have it sooner, rather than later, due to enlargement of the prostate over time causing more difficulties. (continued)
Don from Frisco TX

Dallas, TX

#372 Aug 26, 2009
Still, I am only 2 1/2 weeks out, so be chary of taking my advice. It may not work for everyone. I've not had to self catheterize and that idea really grosses me out. I hope it won't be necessary. I waited almost 2 years to have mine done and I was motivated by the side effects of dizziness and unsteadiness from the Flomax I was taking. I also took Avodart. Toward the end, neither med was working for me and I had nowhere else to go. I hope I don't confuse anyone too much.
Don from Frisco TX

United States

#373 Aug 27, 2009
Sorry, one last point that I would like to meet. I have read several posts that advise going back to the uro and "demanding" some particular intervention. In my opinion, it is a bad idea to put this kind of pressure on a physician. If you think the uro did a bad job, in the first place, why would anyone want to demand further action? If you think the doctor messed you up, get a second opinion and do a better job of selecting a physician, the second time around.
(continued)
Don from Frisco TX

United States

#374 Aug 27, 2009
Another problem with making demands of physicians is that doctors are people, same as you and me, except maybe more intelligent and definitely more compassionate and often driven by their egos to help people. Putting pressure on a physician could influence that physician to attempt interventions he considers inappropriate or which might be beyond his competence, which could have disastrous results.
Hendrik

Kirksville, MO

#375 Aug 27, 2009
To Don from Frisco,

Do you recommend Dr Fine from Baylor.
Don from Frisco TX

United States

#377 Aug 27, 2009
3. While Baylor is an excellent medical complex, it is located in one of the cheap-real estate parts of dallas. If your plan is to go and stay in a motel, afterward, I would not recommend you choose a motel in that immediate area. I'd suggest you choose a motel further north--Allen, Frisco, McKinney, one of those places.
4. I have no problem recommending Dr. Fine, strictly on the basis of skill and experience. There are three physicians in that practice. I went to Dr. Joshua K. Fine. Also in the practice are his father, Myron G. Fine and Eric B. Smith. Good luck!
Don from Frisco TX

United States

#378 Aug 27, 2009
P.S. I hope you've read my other three posts or will before you make a decision. Take Care.
LSimpson

Cincinnati, OH

#379 Aug 28, 2009
For the past two years have had frequency problems especially with nocturia, getting up a minimum of three times a night. Have gone to three urologists with two out of the three, including the latest one, treating me for overactive bladder. Have tried five different drugs including Toviaz (the latest and greatest on the market) and FloMax with absolutely no results.
My doctor several weeks ago threw up his hands and said he didn't know what to do to solve the problem. He suggested that I go to the Cleveland Clinic. Did that two weeks ago with the usual evasive tests. The doctor concluded that I had BPH and recommended TURP. After researching the matter, I determined that I, under no circumstances, wanted to undergo that procedure. Further research resulted in my learning about the Greenlight Laser Surgery, and I am now looking in to having this procedure done.
Went to my doctor Wednesday to go over my results from the Cleveland Clinic, and it was obvious that he did not agree with their diagnosis. He still thinks it involves my bladder. Suggested that I get a third opinion from a doctor at the Cleveland Clinic who specialized in doing the GreenlightLaser procedure.
I'm presently on no medication, have to hit the bathroom every four hours, many times with great urgency, and last night was up three times before having to get up for the fourth time at 4:45 at which time I'm wide awake. This happens every night and I'm feeling it during the day. I can put up with going to the bathroom every two hours, but this getting up so much at night is dragging me down.
Bottom line is that I don't want to have any proedure done if there's a good chance that it won't help my nocturia. I'd appreciate hearing from someone who knows if the GreenlightLaser procedure would help with my particular set of circumstances.
Don from Frisco TX

United States

#380 Aug 28, 2009
Response to L. Simpson
Your emphasis, right now should be getting a majority diagnosis. I would recommend seeing the second Cleveland Clinic Doc, but, first, have the results obtained by all of the other physicians forwarded to the 2nd Cleveland Clinic doc's office, possibly avoiding repetition. In order for a successive opinion doc to help you, he needs the results obtained by the preceding physicians. Good Luck.
Brent

AOL

#381 Aug 30, 2009
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Dan, did you use a urilogist in the Williamsburg area and if so who was it and were you satisfied that he did a good job?
How are you doing since the first 4 to 5 days because I just had the surgery and am having the same issues you did- constant urge to go and not a steady stream. Thanks
Brent

AOL

#382 Aug 30, 2009
Deno wrote:
Its been a week and 1/2 since my PVP surgery. 4-5 rough days and nights...constant urgency to go and up at night a lot. That part is easing off now and the last two days have been pretty good. Last nite was the best yet .. only got up twice. I DID pass a blood clot (or two) 3 days back and it was a little disturbing to see but didn't hurt or anything. I hope things keep improving.
I had my surgery 4 days ago and have had the same symtons- urge to go every hour and them a stream- then dribbling. How are you doing now?
Don from Frisco TX

United States

#383 Aug 30, 2009
Hello, Forum:
Just updating. To review, I had my GL PVP on 8/11/09. I stopped having urgency issues, yesterday. I still have to go frequently, but now am able to hold off going, immediately. I've not tried it, but I think I could hold it up to an hour, without embarrassing consequences. I've had some problems with constipation and think I may have aggravated my bleeding problem by straining. I've started taking a stool softeners (Senokot-S, twice daily). I am evacuating my bowels, a lot better and the bleeding is tapering off. Also increased the fiber in my diet and still drink 8 to 10 glasses of water, daily.
Don from Frisco TX

Carrollton, TX

#384 Aug 31, 2009
Well, I had to cut back on the twice daily Senokot-S, due to upset stomach and cramps. Does anyone know of a stool softener that is gentler than Senokot-S?
Don from Frisco TX

United States

#385 Sep 1, 2009
Update: (Procedure on 8/11/09) Managed to have BM, today without taking stool softener. Bleeding continues. Will update, if there are any further changes.
RichK

Lancaster, NY

#386 Sep 1, 2009
Has anyone had a GLPVP procedure by Dr. Kent Chevli of Western New York Urology?

Any comment would be appreciated.
LSimpson

Cincinnati, OH

#387 Sep 1, 2009
Has anyone had a GLPVP procedure by Dr. James Ulchaker at the Cleveland Clinic?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Having prostate cancer test an individual choice (Apr '09) Jul 21 Dave S 44
News Japan emperor intends to abdicate 'in a few yea... Jul 15 Ainu 7
News Jerry Davich: Guys, time to talk frankly about ... (Aug '11) Jun 30 Joe2242 7
green light laser side effects (Sep '15) Jun '16 glendot 9
GreenLight Laser Surgery Complications (May '07) Jun '16 Bruce 1,441
prostate pain at night? (Jan '11) Jun '16 GTL1982 35
Plasma button surgery for BPH (Dec '11) May '16 carlos 197
More from around the web