PVP GreenLight Laser Treatment
Bob

AOL

#266 Oct 31, 2008
At had the procedure done in April of 07. I have several earlier posts. I had to urinate every 15-30 minutes. If I drank alcohol it was a constant feeling of having to go. It would take a couple minutes to get started. This procedure mainly cured the weak stream and starting. The frequency is reduced because the tissue near the bladder that has also enlarged has also been reduced.

I don't this this cures the rest of the prostate because one area seems to be concentrated on. My frequency has reduced but I still go a lot. I still start easy and life is much better. Diet and bodyfat percent still play a huge roll. The less fat the less frequency. The less spicy, acidy foods the better I am.

Hormones play a huge role. I now deal with Dr.Crisler in Michigan. When testosterone is low the ratio of testosterone and estrogen is off and the prostate grows. There are only a handful of docs familiar with male hormones. I went through a lot including endos.

If your prostate keeps growing back your existing problem and probably being hormonal is still there.
Bruce

East Elmhurst, NY

#267 Nov 4, 2008
I had the greenlight about 6 months ago and now I have retro ejaculation which my doctor never told could happen, if he had I wouldn't have had it done
Cliff

Massapequa, NY

#268 Nov 4, 2008
Bruce wrote:
I had the greenlight about 6 months ago and now I have retro ejaculation which my doctor never told could happen, if he had I wouldn't have had it done
If you can pee normally, then count your blessings. I still can't urinate normally AND I have retrograde.
shakeel muhammad

Karachi, Pakistan

#269 Nov 11, 2008
can any 1 tell me the range of laser frequency plz
Roy - SE Wisconsin

Brookfield, WI

#270 Nov 13, 2008
Had my checkup this AM.

Everything was fine. They sent in a urine sample to check for infections as a precaution, and after that they checked the amount of urine left in the bladder. Their goal is to get down to 100 cc's. This AM they measured 70 cc's.

As a result, they told me that they would send me a letter in 6 months to set an appointment for a checkup.

That's it.
Bill

Novato, CA

#271 Nov 14, 2008
Like many of you I am considering pvp. My sense is that the Biolitic Evolve is superior and operator friendly. However, like most fields, experience and number of surgeries is paramount. Since the evolve is new, I am looking for urologists with a reasonable track record (40-50 surgeries) and stats on outcomes of their patients. I am 64, stopped Avodart account reduced libido, and take uroxotril. Also saw palmetto and pygeum.
bob

Kennewick, WA

#272 Nov 19, 2008
had the green light about 10 months ago
had a lot of pain urinating,due to stuborn infectionj,well now and p like a race horse and no pain im 77 feel great
Ralf

Gainesville, VA

#273 Nov 25, 2008
I had a pvp, four month ago still having a lot of , a lot of troubles like frequency urinations.and when, had sex a lot of burning.now my flow after 4 month is slow Icall my dr that is posible scar tissue,my self I believe i regreate about this damn PVP. good luck who is planing abouts this procedure.I had procedure in the best hospital J HOPKINS
WCM

Poquoson, VA

#274 Nov 27, 2008
Damien / Bill
I admire Damien's research. I had the procedure a year ago when I was 66. I had my two boys at age 51 and 53, so I appreciate your concern over sterility. My problem, that led to the surgery, was frequency and urgency. I still work regularly, and having to excuse myself from briefings and discussions became a professional hassle. It also made frequent air travel very uncomfortable. I had a very quick recovery from the procedure, but for 3 - 5 months I did not see any actual improvement in my symptoms. I can now tell you that I am very glad to have it behind me, but the retro ejaculation is still weird. I no longer expect or desire to have children, so that is not a problem; but it is hard to get used to. I still get up 1-2 times each night, as opposed to 2-4. I can pace my bathroom visits to meet normal work periods, and I have no serious urgency problems. In short, I would do it again; but you are so correct. It is a very personal decision, and the Drs do not provide all the information without serious prodding. I hope this helps, and good luck from one in Virginia.
B from Boston

Amherst, MA

#275 Nov 29, 2008
I am considering having the GreenLight laser surgery soon. Has anyone had any experience with Dr. Graeme S. Steele, from Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Ralf

Gainesville, VA

#276 Dec 4, 2008
Bob wrote:
It's been three weeks now. I now have a strong stream and don't have to strain to start. I still have my frequency problem so far.
Ihad a pvp four month ago, sill having frquencies I call my dr. now myflow comes very slow He, toldme. problaby I have scar tissue. this is been anigtmere
I donot recommen this procedure. good luck fellas just think a bout this procedure
Maury

AOL

#277 Dec 7, 2008
I had the Green Light Surgery in March 2008. It is now 9 month later. I still bleed some each day, about every two weeks I pee pure blood. Have constant infection. Have been on 13 antibiotics sessions since March. Pee is okay but the infection and blood concern me. I also had to change Urologist's because of his lack of communicating. They like to do the surgery but then don't want to deal with it afterwards. I burn a lot when urinating, been scoped two times since surgery. Lot of scar tissue to deal with.
Get up approx every two hours at night.
I would not have this surgery again. To many complications. They now tell me I could bleed for at least wo years. No fun. SOrry I had it done.
Bob

AOL

#278 Dec 8, 2008
Maury wrote:
I had the Green Light Surgery in March 2008. It is now 9 month later. I still bleed some each day, about every two weeks I pee pure blood. Have constant infection. Have been on 13 antibiotics sessions since March. Pee is okay but the infection and blood concern me. I also had to change Urologist's because of his lack of communicating. They like to do the surgery but then don't want to deal with it afterwards. I burn a lot when urinating, been scoped two times since surgery. Lot of scar tissue to deal with.
Get up approx every two hours at night.
I would not have this surgery again. To many complications. They now tell me I could bleed for at least wo years. No fun. SOrry I had it done.
Sorry to hear about the bleeding. This procedure was created because it was supposed to minimize bleeding. The ony time I bled was when I pushed for a bowel movement. Don't push at all. Also sex too early made it bleed.

Since: Dec 08

South Florida

#279 Dec 11, 2008
Bill wrote:
Like many of you I am considering pvp. My sense is that the Biolitic Evolve is superior and operator friendly. However, like most fields, experience and number of surgeries is paramount. Since the evolve is new, I am looking for urologists with a reasonable track record (40-50 surgeries) and stats on outcomes of their patients. I am 64, stopped Avodart account reduced libido, and take uroxotril. Also saw palmetto and pygeum.
The Biolitic Evolve laser was used on me two days ago. My Uro is an old-timer that says he can do a much better job with TURP, but he finishes-up with the Evolve laser to minimize bleeding, which is the only negative of TURP. I'm 65, been on Flomax for 2 years (increased to double dose 10 months ago) and Ive been on Avodart for 8 months, but Id like to get off both these meds. So far, Im very pleased with the strong and long flow and Im keeping my fingers crossed after reading about many on this thread that had problems develop later.
Ron

Seattle, WA

#280 Dec 13, 2008
I have prostate that is 6.1x4.5 cm. Have been told that I have a very large prostate. Is that consider very large? What is large? What is typical normal for a 61 year old?
I am thinking about having the GreenLight therapy. Can somebody give me some good reasons why I should be getting my prostate reamed out using GreenLight therapy? I have read much about bad experience using GreenLight?

Thank You,

Ron
Lou

Easton, MD

#281 Dec 22, 2008
I am 70 years old and had the surgery 3 weeks ago. I have had no pain and feel good. However, I have zero control of my bladder and must wear Depends all the time. I dribble all the time. Sometimes my stream is strong at other times it is weak. Had a lot of bleeding, but no burning. I seem to have no feeling in the penis, except at the tip. If I'm not looking I cannot tell that I'm urinating. The Doc. has no idea what went wrong, but thinks the sphincter muscle must have been affected and is going to start me on biofeedback in order to retrain the muscle, assuming that's the problem. As things stand now I wish I didn't have the operation.

Since: Dec 08

waynesville, nc

#282 Dec 26, 2008
I am 65 and 7 days ago I had the Green Light laser surgery done by a very competent urologist in Asheville,NC - after reading through all of the posts I had many questions for him before we decided upon a date. He assured me that most of the problems that I raised would be gone within 2 weeks. So far, I'm doing great. All of the bleeding and pain ceased by day 3. Being retired I can take it easy and let my body heal so that is a huge plus. I'm a pretty active person who hikes at least 3 days/week and works out a minimum of 2 days/week so resting is very difficult to do but mandated by the urologist.
I've had BPH for nearly 20 years and took Flomax for many of them but recently my PSA jumped from the low 2 range to the 3s - I left my "head in the sand" urologist of 5 years in Waynesville for one that was listed in the Green Light Laser web page. He was very concerned about the PSA jump and ran another one using "differential" analysis. This showed that the increase was from the BPH and not cancer.
During the cysto I was able to see just how large the prostate had grown.(damn thing looked like 2 butt cheeks pressing against each other). He was amazed that I had not had that many problems. I opted out taking Proscar many years ago due to the side affects. The Fomax seemed to work okay for me.
My stream is better than ever and the freq. had diminished each day even with the copious amounts of water that I'm drinking. The nightly pee trips have also diminshed.
I have come to several conclusions about problems that occur with this laser treatment.

#1 - experience of operator - mine has done over 400 procedures in the past 3 years. I feel that this one is the most important. My surgery took nearly 1.5 hours - the guy is meticulous and careful. I appreciated that as I'm a retired DDS who was proud to be called obsessively meticulous.

#2 - health of the patient - if you have other disease processes going on then your body can't heal itself efficiently - I've got Celiac disease but under control and any auto immune disease is nasty esp. diabetes.

#3 - location of the enlargements - middle lobe seems to be the worst case - hardest to laser without problems per my urologist's comments

#4 - diet - protein - protein - protein intake vs. the usual lousy diet of empty carbs - and volumes of water intake during the first 2 weeks. Staying away from alcohol/coffee for the first week will help with irritation and spasms.

#5 - rest - very hard to do if you're working

#6 - LUCK - it's got to be a factor - since this is done in a hosptial setting, the LUCK factor always come into play - lots of bugs floating around and the quality of care in that facitily is important.

Some may disagree with my short list but these are my observations and before the surgery I would very proactive as to the urologist's experience and capabilites - If you have any doubts, I would ask for references from other patients - bull crap about privacy, most patients like ourselves, like to relate our experiences esp. about a new procedure. The way I look at this entire experience is that it wasn't the dreaded TURP nor cancer.
WC in VA

Williamsburg, VA

#283 Jan 18, 2009
I am 66 and had the procedure on Oct 29 2008. Overnight stay then three days at home with cath. After cath removal flow was exceptional but with burning at the end of urination. Over the next several weeks burning subsided and flow reduced too but still very good. Also during the early weeks occasionally passed debris and an occasional clot. Retro is almost 100% but may be reducing. At this date I would say my stream is "normal" as best I can remember what it was years ago ! And no dribble. At this point I only get up once during the night and some nights not at all. The other great improvement is my returned ability to sense a filling bladder but be able to wait without any great urgency. Prior to procedure frequency at night could be every two hours, day time was bad too (hard to drive more than hour without stopping) and at the end acute retention. All those problems are now a distant memory.
It took some research before I found a Dr that was very experienced in the use of PVP (several hundred) to treat BPH. Before committing to PVP as the approach for my BPH problem, I had a URO ultrasound, urodynamics tests to make sure my bladder was still working correctly, a prostate biopsy and prostate ultra sound. Once all the tests were completed, Dr said he felt PVP would be a solution that would work for me. At this point, I would say the procedure has worked for me as performed by my Dr. Everything I experienced post procedure were spelled out by the Dr ahead of time again no surprises. Only open question for me now is the long term result will I continue to be BPH symptom free a year from now and beyond. For others considering PVP my suggestion is find a Dr that is through, open in communication and experienced in the use of PVP.
WHZ

Monterey, CA

#284 Feb 4, 2009
I'm most impressed with the last two posts, objective and discerning,leaving me with little to add other than a warning of premature working out or exercise, for each time I break away from rest, I pay the piper. Addicted to working out on a daily basis, staying clear of aerobic and particularly anaerobic activity is emotionally painful. When I experience a bad day, upon self reflection, I can usually attribute the relapse to my own carelessness.
Ivan

San Francisco, CA

#285 Feb 7, 2009
I had the PVP procedure in October 2007 (I posted my comments in January 2008). In August 2008 I noticed some worsening in the urine flow. It is really bad these days; I am not completely emptying my bladder - and experiencing frequent urination, urgency and discomfort.
So much for a long lasting after surgery period They say, it would last at least 5 years. Is anyone who reads this note with 5 years after surgery?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Identifying and Treating BPH (Mar '12) 1 hr HWPROSTATE 31
Radiation alone shrinking penis size (Jan '07) Nov 10 cahenderson 6
GreenLight Laser Surgery Complications (May '07) Nov 1 glencleath 1,468
Plasma button surgery for BPH (Dec '11) Sep '17 73 yr male 218
News Fire Doctors Who Call Trump Crazy Sep '17 Cordwainer Trout 2
News Blacks with prostate cancer less likely to get ... Aug '17 Paul 3
green light laser side effects (Sep '15) Jul '17 redloam 18
More from around the web