prostate pain at night?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Butch

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Jan 31, 2011
i have been frequently waking up at night with aching like pain in the prostate. Any ideas?
spa51

Sioux Falls, SD

#2 Jul 7, 2011
Butch wrote:
i have been frequently waking up at night with aching like pain in the prostate. Any ideas?
Have had what sounds to be the same problem for years. Been to a few docs, they don't know what is causing it (chronic non-bacterial prostatitis). The pain wakes me up at night, and left untreated will become nearly unbearable (spasm-like pain which seems to travel from one side of my prostate to the other). During this attack, I am unable to urinate. What works for me....as soon as it wakes me up, I take ibuprofen then head straight to the bathroom for a sitz bath (as hot as tolerable) until the pain subsides. This relatively quickly takes care of the problem, but is no fun at 3am.
Todd

Antioch, TN

#3 Sep 12, 2011
I've been having this same problem. It has happened maybe 5 times over the last 6 months, and I think each time has been the night after I had sex for the first time after a moderate break (a week or so). Maybe it is just coincidence.
Ralph

Savannah, GA

#4 Sep 28, 2011
No ideas, but maybe similar quite unbearable prostate pain at night only, that after an hour or two slowly subsides.
spa51

Grand Forks, ND

#5 Sep 28, 2011
Believe me...the ibuprofen and sitz bath combo really works well. Fill the water in the tub just deep enough to submerge your thighs half-way, and make the water as hot as you can bear. The pain will subside shortly. Give it a try all.
jackjackersen

Australia

#7 Jul 1, 2012
I m awake with a session now. 3 am. This dull ache that seems to start on one side of the internal rectum area (maybe prostate) comes on suddenly, duration varies from 15 min to more than an hour. Yes sometimes happens, seems to happen more often after sex. (hetro) Closest i can find is proctalgia fugux. Lately Sometimes it seems to move through to my lower left abdomen where you vans def runs up through the abdomin wall.... Very disconcerting. Seems to subside about just as quick and all seems good again... Frequency, maybe 3 times every two months..First one when 28 years old still occuring ten years later. first time was after a new sex partner so hope it isnt some sneak hard to diagnose std. That herpes bastard seems to like to hide in nerves. Wjich is kind of what i think this feels like.
Anonymous

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Nov 20, 2012
I have had this problem for a while. I think i was 21 when I first felt this and it come and goes. I am 31 now and having the same problem. I thought it was some kind of spasm. But this is the first the feeling changed when I am starting to feel this in the prostate area. If anyone knows what this is please help.
spa51

Grand Forks, ND

#9 Nov 21, 2012
lavenwa wrote:
I have had this problem for a while. I think i was 21 when I first felt this and it come and goes. I am 31 now and having the same problem. I thought it was some kind of spasm. But this is the first the feeling changed when I am starting to feel this in the prostate area. If anyone knows what this is please help.
Your problem sounds very similar to mine, started in my early 20's, spasm etc. I suggest trying the ibuprofen/ sitz bath remedy described on the earlier posts. I recently took another trip to the urologist and he asked me to give Tamsulosin a try, and so far so good. No pain, stream has greatly improved, prostate-area pressure has subsided.
Jaybird

Salem, OR

#10 Dec 3, 2012
I'm nearly 70 and am healty. Every few months, and always while I'm asleep, I get an ache in the prostrate area that begins as mild pain and gradually becomes accute. I sit on the toilet and push hard several times as if trying to relieve myself and usually do. Doing this technique sevfgeral times helps, and the pain stops for a few minutes. Sometimes another attack happens, and I return to the restroom. Walking around the house helps. If the pain doesn't stop, I take a pain pill, and it gradually subsides. Within an hour, I am able to sleep. All medical tests have been normal. The pain is a 7 on a 1-10 scale. I had a vasectomy in my late 40's and have wondered if doing that is a factor. I didn't have this problem as a younger man. It started in my mid 60's. I sat in the hot tub before bed and still had an attack this morning. Am fine now, thank God. I hope this information helps someone.
Dr E

South Jordan, UT

#11 Jan 15, 2013
I believe this to be what you are talking about. This is taken from the wiki answers.
Proctalgia fugax (or levator syndrome, also known as anal cold) is a severe, episodic, rectal and sacrococcygeal pain.[1] It can be caused by cramp of the pubococcygeus or levator ani muscles.It most often occurs in the middle of the night[3] and lasts from seconds to minutes,[4] an indicator for the differential diagnosis of levator ani syndrome, which presents as pain and aching lasting twenty minutes or longer. In a study published in 2007 involving 1809 patients, the attacks occurred in the daytime,(33 percent) as well as at night (33 percent) and the average number of attacks was 13. Onset can be in childhood, however, in multiple studies the average age of onset was 45. Many studies showed that women are affected more commonly than men.
During an episode, the patient feels spasm-like, sometimes excruciating, pain in the anus, often misinterpreted as a need to defecate. Simultaneous stimulation of the local autonomic system can cause erection in males. Because of the high incident of internal anal sphincter thickening with the disorder, it is thought to be a disorder of the internal anal sphincter or that it is a neuralgia of pudendal nerves. It is recurrent and there is also no known cure. However, some studies show effective use of botulinum toxin, pudendal nerve block, and calcium channel blockers. It is not known to be linked to any disease process and data on the number of people afflicted varies, but is more prevalent than usually thought.
The pain episode subsides by itself as the spasm disappears on its own, but may reoccur.[4]
Sometimes there is a drop in blood pressure that may cause loss of consciousness and possible injury. Staying down is suggested if in bed, and lying down is recommended.
[edit]
spa51

Grand Forks, ND

#12 Jan 17, 2013
Dr E wrote:
I believe this to be what you are talking about. This is taken from the wiki answers.
Proctalgia fugax (or levator syndrome, also known as anal cold) is a severe, episodic, rectal and sacrococcygeal pain.[1] It can be caused by cramp of the pubococcygeus or levator ani muscles.It most often occurs in the middle of the night[3] and lasts from seconds to minutes,[4] an indicator for the differential diagnosis of levator ani syndrome, which presents as pain and aching lasting twenty minutes or longer. In a study published in 2007 involving 1809 patients, the attacks occurred in the daytime,(33 percent) as well as at night (33 percent) and the average number of attacks was 13. Onset can be in childhood, however, in multiple studies the average age of onset was 45. Many studies showed that women are affected more commonly than men.
During an episode, the patient feels spasm-like, sometimes excruciating, pain in the anus, often misinterpreted as a need to defecate. Simultaneous stimulation of the local autonomic system can cause erection in males. Because of the high incident of internal anal sphincter thickening with the disorder, it is thought to be a disorder of the internal anal sphincter or that it is a neuralgia of pudendal nerves. It is recurrent and there is also no known cure. However, some studies show effective use of botulinum toxin, pudendal nerve block, and calcium channel blockers. It is not known to be linked to any disease process and data on the number of people afflicted varies, but is more prevalent than usually thought.
The pain episode subsides by itself as the spasm disappears on its own, but may reoccur.[4]
Sometimes there is a drop in blood pressure that may cause loss of consciousness and possible injury. Staying down is suggested if in bed, and lying down is recommended.
[edit]
I think your on to something.
Dr E

South Jordan, UT

#13 Jan 18, 2013
Yes I am....I know what it is and I have had quite a few patients with this exact condition.
spa51

Grand Forks, ND

#14 Jan 19, 2013
Dr E wrote:
Yes I am....I know what it is and I have had quite a few patients with this exact condition.
Thank you for sharing the info. It's amazing to me that you are the first doctor to even mention this apparently common condition.
Alex

Encino, CA

#15 Jan 31, 2013
It's 2:30 and I'm having a bout of spasms right now. What the hell is this and how can I make it stop!?
Julio

Santa Monica, CA

#16 May 16, 2013
The best way to make it go away is to use a heat pad
Julio

Santa Monica, CA

#17 May 16, 2013
Alex wrote:
It's 2:30 and I'm having a bout of spasms right now. What the hell is this and how can I make it stop!?
Use a heat pad and it will go away quick
Dunkmaster

Charlotte, NC

#18 Sep 12, 2013
Julio wrote:
<quoted text>
Use a heat pad and it will go away quick
I've had this for 20 years (50 now). I call it old man pain.

I can often get relief sitting up in a hard chair.
Hutcat

Portland, ME

#19 Oct 13, 2013
I have had this condition averaging an episode every 2 months for 20 years since age 35. Although, probably more often counting episodes I may have slept through.

Sometimes when it wakes me its excruciating, and I always go to the toilet with an urge to dump, but nothing is there.

Generally, I take 2 Ibuprofen, go back to bed and fall asleep.
d michael

Seattle, WA

#20 Nov 21, 2013
I've had the same infrequent problem since my early 20s (34 now). For me, it has never happened during the day, always middle of the night, as it did last night, hence my googling to here. It occurs 1-3 times per year. Probably not the best thinking, but I figured if it was something really bad I would have been dead by now…as it is, the pain is always the same level, and slightly to the left (left side of rectum/prostrate area). After taking an ibuprofen, the pain intensity quickly subsides, and I sleep normally.
Anon85200

Baldwin Park, CA

#21 Jan 2, 2014
Hutcat wrote:
I have had this condition averaging an episode every 2 months for 20 years since age 35. Although, probably more often counting episodes I may have slept through.
Sometimes when it wakes me its excruciating, and I always go to the toilet with an urge to dump, but nothing is there.
Generally, I take 2 Ibuprofen, go back to bed and fall asleep.
Just FYI, I'm just learning about this issue as well and it seems to be my problem. There was once that, as usual, with the feeling like I need to defecate, I went to sit on the toilet as usual. In the past, nothing happens, but it seems to relieve the pain. However, once, a few weeks ago, I did actually end up defecating and it hurt like all hell. It was probably 10x worse the level of pain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Having prostate cancer test an individual choice (Apr '09) Thu Dave S 44
News Japan emperor intends to abdicate 'in a few yea... Jul 15 Ainu 7
News Jerry Davich: Guys, time to talk frankly about ... (Aug '11) Jun 30 Joe2242 7
green light laser side effects (Sep '15) Jun '16 glendot 9
GreenLight Laser Surgery Complications (May '07) Jun '16 Bruce 1,441
Plasma button surgery for BPH (Dec '11) May '16 carlos 197
News Hawaii bill bans discrimination against transge... Apr '16 david traversa 1
More from around the web