Post surgical effects from Davinci ro...

Post surgical effects from Davinci robotic surgery

Posted in the Prostate Cancer Forum

markpw2

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Aug 30, 2008
Please help if you can!

I was floored when I found out 3 weeks ago after a prostate biopsy that I do actually have prostate cancer especially since my PSA was only 0.7. and my urologist said I only had a 1 in 6 chance of the results being positive! It was the digital rectal exam that that brought this about (at least it was good that I did have the DRE done or the biopsy would have never taken place). However, having been on testerone for the past 2yrs. with my bioavailable score being on the real high side, I really expect that had something to do with it though my Dr. didn't necessarily agree.

I am scheduled to have the Davinci robotic surgery performed here in So. Cal by one of the top urology surgeons in the United States in 2 months. I am told with a 0.7 psa, Gleason at 6, and stage T2a-b1 that I am a very good candidate for this "nerve sparring" procedure and in the hands of a world class surgeon my chances for any sexual dysfunction or real incontinence issues are rather small. I sure would like to believe this as I always have been a pretty active guy and still feel and think very young-I am 67 yrs. old but look a lot younger. I'm told that my doctor uses the newest Davinci "S" robot and creates 6 ports in the lower stomach region rather than 5 ports. If anyone has a similar profile and has had this procedure within the last 1 year I would sure appreciate hearing from you re:your results.

Much appreciated,
Mark
matt

Seattle, WA

#2 Sep 4, 2008
markpw2 wrote:
Please help if you can!
I was floored when I found out 3 weeks ago after a prostate biopsy that I do actually have prostate cancer especially since my PSA was only 0.7. and my urologist said I only had a 1 in 6 chance of the results being positive! It was the digital rectal exam that that brought this about (at least it was good that I did have the DRE done or the biopsy would have never taken place). However, having been on testerone for the past 2yrs. with my bioavailable score being on the real high side, I really expect that had something to do with it though my Dr. didn't necessarily agree.
I am scheduled to have the Davinci robotic surgery performed here in So. Cal by one of the top urology surgeons in the United States in 2 months. I am told with a 0.7 psa, Gleason at 6, and stage T2a-b1 that I am a very good candidate for this "nerve sparring" procedure and in the hands of a world class surgeon my chances for any sexual dysfunction or real incontinence issues are rather small. I sure would like to believe this as I always have been a pretty active guy and still feel and think very young-I am 67 yrs. old but look a lot younger. I'm told that my doctor uses the newest Davinci "S" robot and creates 6 ports in the lower stomach region rather than 5 ports. If anyone has a similar profile and has had this procedure within the last 1 year I would sure appreciate hearing from you re:your results.
Much appreciated,
Mark
I have a very similar situation; I have known for 1 week and I am quickly trying to understand options. Though I cannot offer any info about results, I would love to hear who you have picked for a surgeon. I'm 52, very sexually active and am a bit freaked out at the possible loss of function. So I'm looking for the best possible Dr. I can reasonably access.

thanks for any help and recommendations.
Bill

United States

#4 Sep 10, 2008
I had DaVinci Robotic surgery at UCSF in San Francisco with a fantastic surgeon on July 24,2008. I had a PSA score of 7.5, a 4+3=7 Gleason. I had a T2 tumor in both sides but all contained inside the prostate.

Surgery was done at 1:30pm on Thursday afternoon and Friday afternoon the doc asked if I wanted to go home.

I had six ports, five for DaVinci and one for a drain tube. I have not trouble with erections if I use Viagra. I have had sex a couple of times with out it also. I believe the first time was about three weeks after surgery.

I was thrilled as I got a partial erection on the second day, even though I had a catheter in. So I knew things weren't damaged too bad.

I'll be glad to answer and questions, etc.
Jacholland

Cherry Hill, NJ

#5 Apr 20, 2009
Matt How did you make out I am 54 and in the same boat and just as freaked
DWC

Haverhill, MA

#6 Apr 20, 2009
Jacholland wrote:
Matt How did you make out I am 54 and in the same boat and just as freaked
I had radical open surgury 3yrs ago at Mass. General Boston, Il tell you, the most important thing you can do is get the right surgeon I was very lucky to have the good fortune to have one of the pioneers of nerve spareing surgury,3yrs cancer free Iam very satisfied with my sex life.
lolac

Mesa, AZ

#7 May 8, 2009
could some of you please say the name of your surgeons?
DWC

United States

#8 May 12, 2009
lolac wrote:
could some of you please say the
name of your surgeons?
Dr Francis McGovern-Mass Gen.Hsp.-Ask anyone this man is the best,anyway I can help let me know,yes this a very hard thing to handle but you will get thru this. DWC
DWC

United States

#9 May 12, 2009
Dr Francis MsGovern Mass. Gen. Hsp.- this man is the BEST
Anna

Phoenix, AZ

#11 Jun 6, 2013
I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Hope all goes well with your surgery. Be very cautious of the outcome of your surgery with the DaVinci Surgical Robot. There have been complaints about serious unintended injuries resulting from the use of that surgical device, such as, lacerations on internal organs, internal burns, excessive bleeding, and even, death. Read more about these stories here at http://davinci-lawsuit.org

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prostate Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Plasma button surgery for BPH (Dec '11) Aug 20 Dave 208
GreenLight Laser Surgery Complications (May '07) Aug 18 NJRetiree 1,444
green light laser side effects (Sep '15) Aug 17 Vaxwiz1 13
Irritated Prostate After Sex? (Mar '09) Jul 29 Walter Mathau 7
News Having prostate cancer test an individual choice (Apr '09) Jul '16 Dave S 44
News Japan emperor intends to abdicate 'in a few yea... Jul '16 Ainu 7
News Jerry Davich: Guys, time to talk frankly about ... (Aug '11) Jun '16 Joe2242 7
More from around the web