Parents should be notified before min...

Parents should be notified before minors have abortions

There are 265 comments on the Bend Bulletin story from Oct 23, 2006, titled Parents should be notified before minors have abortions. In it, Bend Bulletin reports that:

Oregon is one of only six remaining states that has no parental notification law.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bend Bulletin.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
shyfish

Boulder, CO

#1 Nov 6, 2006
I believe that if a child (minor) has to have parental concent before that should be able to have an abortion.
kristie2490

Marietta, GA

#2 Nov 6, 2006
Its a no brainer! Children should have to have the parents involved! Otherwise some prick who impregnated the child can just "fix it" and no one be the wiser for it! ANY state that isnt on board with THAT simple little piece of "sanity" needs to look at themselves long and hard!

Our children MUST be protected! And yes that does include the OLDER children who may very well be making their own "bad" decisions! They NEED an adult advocate of SOME SORT!

Another scenerio? I understand that SOME parents arent much brighter or dont have their childrens best interest at heart either! So? Possibly (or AT LEAST) with minors the law should state that abortionists document the situation and have an "appointed" advocate to evaluate the individual situations at hand and make mature, intelligent decisions as to WHO the child should be required to report their "situation" to whether it be a state agency with prof. counselors , etc...
But NEVER should the child just be "serviced" by an abortionist with NO QUESTIONS asked!
Their could be incest , etc going on and no one catching it!
Big issue in My opinion....
kristie2490

Marietta, GA

#3 Nov 6, 2006
And I am NOT advocating that ALL of these minors SHOULD HAVE to go forth with their pregnancies.(every individual case is unique and needs PROFESSIONAL attention!)
Jenna

Mount Olive, NC

#4 Dec 7, 2006
Some of us don't have the best of parents, unfortunately Kristie. If I had become pregnant as a young teen, my familiy would had forced me to have had the baby simply as a punishment for being seually active so young and outside of marriage. There's alot more parents like this out there than people realise.
Sally

India

#5 Dec 7, 2006
shyfish wrote:
I believe that if a child (minor) has to have parental concent before that should be able to have an abortion.
I agree. Any minor child should have to have parental concent to get a abortion in the USA or UK.
In fact if a school child want the abortion pill,I think there should be parent concent to receive this from any school nurse.
Diane

Bellevue, OH

#6 Dec 7, 2006
Yes, parents should have the absolute right to know and give consent if their child was seeking an abortion..children need consent before doing anything, so why should abortion be excluded..for those who say no to this, think about this one..daughter has an abortion, complications arise,needs surgery to correct what the abortionist has done..GUESS WHO HAS TO PAY FOR THIS?? THE PARENTS OF COURSE!! they are the ones liable for the hospital bills etc..so in the end, comes right back that the parents have the right to consent.Just like ANY surgery,procedure,etc..childre n NEED the consent of the parent. and rightfully so...
quinton seed

Bainbridge, GA

#7 Dec 7, 2006
parents should be notified before a child has an abortion because the parents have a right to know
carl hayes

Bainbridge, GA

#8 Dec 7, 2006
im gay
quinton seed

Bainbridge, GA

#9 Dec 7, 2006
ladies should just tell their parents when they are pregnant because maybe parents can help teh lady out with the surgery and or if the lady decides to have the baby than the parents can help take care of it
Erika

India

#10 Dec 8, 2006
carl hayes wrote:
im gay
Your vice president's daughter is gay and she is now pregnant. So being gay really doesn't have much to do with it. I know two gay people who have had abortions.
Jenna

Dillon, SC

#11 Dec 8, 2006
Once again, not everyone has loving supportive parents. It seems that everyone on this forum must have been raised in "Father Knows Best" land save for myself, so let me tell you about the otherside. There are many fathers out there who would beat their daughters within an inch of their lives for even having had sex, let alone becoming pregnant. Then there are the ones like my own who would force their daughters to have the baby only as a way to punish them for being sexual. Then you have the lovely ones who will throw their pregnant daughters out on the streets. And lastly, even kind parents, when they know that their daughter has gotten pregnant, no matter what ultimately happens with the pregnancy they will use it as a way to discredit their daughter's ability to make her own decisions (you want to go to Europe to study? We already know how smart you are and how responsible. You can't be trusted to take care of yourself). Often an abortion is the only way for a teen to salvage what remains of her youth and reputation. To force her to rely on her parents is to officially say that she is their property and has no rights to even her own body.

Since: Dec 06

San Francisco, CA

#12 Dec 8, 2006
Jenna wrote:
Once again, not everyone has loving supportive parents. It seems that everyone on this forum must have been raised in "Father Knows Best" land save for myself, so let me tell you about the otherside. There are many fathers out there who would beat their daughters within an inch of their lives for even having had sex, let alone becoming pregnant. Then there are the ones like my own who would force their daughters to have the baby only as a way to punish them for being sexual. Then you have the lovely ones who will throw their pregnant daughters out on the streets. And lastly, even kind parents, when they know that their daughter has gotten pregnant, no matter what ultimately happens with the pregnancy they will use it as a way to discredit their daughter's ability to make her own decisions (you want to go to Europe to study? We already know how smart you are and how responsible. You can't be trusted to take care of yourself). Often an abortion is the only way for a teen to salvage what remains of her youth and reputation. To force her to rely on her parents is to officially say that she is their property and has no rights to even her own body.
You forgot the fathers that actually impregnate their daughters (or other family members that do), and the consequences can be devastating. I know there is judicial bypass, but with the lessening of places where teens can go for counseling in ths area, especially in rural areas (and how can they get there if they have no car or cannot legally drive?), they often have to rely on other responsible adults to take them for such counseling.
Jenna

Zebulon, NC

#13 Dec 8, 2006
Denise CA wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot the fathers that actually impregnate their daughters (or other family members that do), and the consequences can be devastating. I know there is judicial bypass, but with the lessening of places where teens can go for counseling in ths area, especially in rural areas (and how can they get there if they have no car or cannot legally drive?), they often have to rely on other responsible adults to take them for such counseling.
Great point, Denise. Something the antichoicers would choose to ignore.
Denise

San Francisco, CA

#15 Dec 9, 2006
Tara_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you are saying here, as it's the same here - very rural areas over most of the state - BUT - what about justice for these girls? Why is it more important for them to have access to abortion behind their parent's back than it is for them to have their abusers held accountable for their actions and punished for their crimes. We all know what happens with those who aren't held accountable - they continue to abuse, they continue to rape, the girls are victimized over and over again. Having an abortion isn't going to stop the victimization - the cycle will continue on and on - most likely leading to more and more abortions - the girls live a life of hell, innocent unborn babies die and the perp goes on as if nothing has happened.
That is why I spoke to judicial bypass but oftentimes they don't even know about that option. I agree having an abortion won't stop the victimization, but they oftentimes can't even get the counseling they need to help stop it. Do you think carrying a baby conceived by ones father doesn't contribute to a life of hell?
whatever

Parksville, Canada

#16 Dec 9, 2006
Diane wrote:
Yes, parents should have the absolute right to know and give consent if their child was seeking an abortion..children need consent before doing anything, so why should abortion be excluded..for those who say no to this, think about this one..daughter has an abortion, complications arise,needs surgery to correct what the abortionist has done..GUESS WHO HAS TO PAY FOR THIS?? THE PARENTS OF COURSE!! they are the ones liable for the hospital bills etc..so in the end, comes right back that the parents have the right to consent.Just like ANY surgery,procedure,etc..childre n NEED the consent of the parent. and rightfully so...
So you are saying that if these are children they need permission from their parents because they are children and children can't do anything without permission.
But without an abortion these children will be parents themselves! I think that the more drastic outcome with more innocence-stealing concequences is to carry a baby to term and give birth and become a parent. Not to mention the cost of raising a child for 18 years.

Granting your child "permission" not to have a baby is a pretty crazy concept.

Also, how exactly will the requirement for parental concent prevent incest? How will it even catch incest, when the person giving consent is the incestuos parent?

I think there should be something in place to help minors accessing abortions, but it is age dependent. For example, if the girl is 13 or 14 it is way different than if she is 16 or 17.
vile lynne

Mclean, VA

#18 Dec 9, 2006
Tara_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you are saying here, as it's the same here - very rural areas over most of the state - BUT - what about justice for these girls? Why is it more important for them to have access to abortion behind their parent's back than it is for them to have their abusers held accountable for their actions and punished for their crimes. We all know what happens with those who aren't held accountable - they continue to abuse, they continue to rape, the girls are victimized over and over again. Having an abortion isn't going to stop the victimization - the cycle will continue on and on - most likely leading to more and more abortions - the girls live a life of hell, innocent unborn babies die and the perp goes on as if nothing has happened.
agree with you on stopping the abusers, sandy (big fan of you in spongebob). but please don't tell me you think a victim of rape or incest should be denied the right to have an abortion - IS TAHT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING ?!?!?!?!
Jenna

Zebulon, NC

#19 Dec 9, 2006
Tara_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely it does and that's my point - he needs to be STOPPED so she doesn't continue to be victimized time and time again. I am in support of the judicial bypass because of cases such as this - I am also very much in support of EDUCATION regarding sexual abuse. These girls need to know they aren't alone and there IS help for them - and their freak abusers need to be stopped.
Tara, if your true aim is to stop sexual abusers, then they can collect the evidence from the fetus for DNA during the abortion. But I don't think that is your real point, so here is mine: How in the world does it make it easily for the victim of sex abuse to come forward when she is forced to carry her attacker's child? All things considered, since the rate at which sex offenders are convicted isn't that high (it is often a he said/she said) she might think that the best thing to do, in a world without legal abortion, would be to pretend that it never happened and to not bring charges so the attacker wouldn't know that she is carrying his child and sue for parental rights. The fact is, if these girls are old enough to get pregnant, then they're old enough to be able to decide what should happen to the fetus and definitely old enough to be given access to birth control to prevent unwanted pregnancies in the first place. Enough said.
Diane

Bellevue, OH

#20 Dec 9, 2006
Jenna wrote:
<quoted text>Tara, if your true aim is to stop sexual abusers, then they can collect the evidence from the fetus for DNA during the abortion. But I don't think that is your real point, so here is mine: How in the world does it make it easily for the victim of sex abuse to come forward when she is forced to carry her attacker's child? All things considered, since the rate at which sex offenders are convicted isn't that high (it is often a he said/she said) she might think that the best thing to do, in a world without legal abortion, would be to pretend that it never happened and to not bring charges so the attacker wouldn't know that she is carrying his child and sue for parental rights. The fact is, if these girls are old enough to get pregnant, then they're old enough to be able to decide what should happen to the fetus and definitely old enough to be given access to birth control to prevent unwanted pregnancies in the first place. Enough said.
fat chance of collecting dna from the baby. do you realize that the body is disposed of in garbage disposal? or the body of the baby is incinerated?. by the girl having an abortion, it is much easier for the attacker to get away with his crime then opposed to the girl having the baby which will reveal the attacker. btw..what does having access to birth control have to do with being attacked?
Jenna

Zebulon, NC

#21 Dec 9, 2006
Diane wrote:
<quoted text>
fat chance of collecting dna from the baby. do you realize that the body is disposed of in garbage disposal? or the body of the baby is incinerated?. by the girl having an abortion, it is much easier for the attacker to get away with his crime then opposed to the girl having the baby which will reveal the attacker. btw..what does having access to birth control have to do with being attacked?
If the doctor performing the abortion is notified before hand, he can save the DNA as evidence, simple logic. It's been done before. So, in this scenario, the sole reason for this child to come into the world is to prove the guilt of his biological father? Gee, there's no chance of that kid being psychologically damaged, is there?
Joe

AOL

#22 Dec 28, 2006
quinton seed wrote:
parents should be notified before a child has an abortion because the parents have a right to know
yes parents do have the right to know about some things, but the parents obviously didnt know that the child had sex in the first place, so its up to the parents of the unborn child to decide if they want to share whats going on with their baby. They made it, their parents didnt so its really their choice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pregnancy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 21 hr Veronica 7,233
Pregnant meow meows in business class and offic... Jul 12 Thank God For Life 1
News Early Pregnancy Symptom - How To Detect Pregnan... (Jun '07) Jun 26 Nancy 389
News Free Online Pregnancy Test - Are The Test Resul... (Sep '07) Jun '17 Shqaueaillapowell 152
Fertility medications available. Pay with PayPal (Aug '12) May '17 Nicole 3
Safe abortion procedure philipines (Dec '16) Feb '17 Lanie 3
News "pregnancy after c-section" (Nov '08) Jan '17 ANA 12
More from around the web