Dancing the Tango, May Help Parkinson...

Dancing the Tango, May Help Parkinson's Patients

There are 6 comments on the Fox2Now story from Mar 2, 2010, titled Dancing the Tango, May Help Parkinson's Patients. In it, Fox2Now reports that:

They say it takes two to Tango, but what happens if one of them has Parkinson's disease.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox2Now.

Pat

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Mar 3, 2010
Paul,
This was a wonderful piece. You have no idea how much my parents have been anticipating the airing of your report on tango therapy for Parkinson's patients. Thank you!

Pat Sullivan
Tom and Ann Sullivan

United States

#2 Mar 3, 2010
The tango has helped Tom with better balance.
Ann Sullivan
John

Miami, FL

#3 Apr 22, 2010
Hi. I understand that the standard dosage of CoQ10 for Parkinsons is 1200 mg. per day. I would much prefer to take it in two 600 mg doses rather than three 400 mg doses, since 3x per day is obviously a lot more of a hassle, yet at the same time I don't want to compromise the effectiveness of the CoQ10. So what do other people do? Also my doctor recommended Puritan's Pride brand of CoQ10. Do you think that's a good kind or not? What brand do you take? My email is [email protected]
Thanks John
Janelle

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Sep 11, 2011
Dance therapy for PD helps! I worked as volunteer for Brooklyn Parkinson Group (BPG) in downtown Brooklyn, NY. A few years ago, BPG partnered with an outreach program at Mark Morris Dance Center and started offering free dance classes to Parkinson's patients and their families. The concept of the class is predicated on the idea that individuals with PD can relearn how to move and use their bodies, as this is a central concern for dancers, dance can be used as an alternative therapy for the motor deficits PD. Some research has been done on this as well (see Hackney and Earhart). I would say that any kind of exercise (tai chi, yoga, dance, walking, etc.) is good for people with PD but dancing is especially fun and engaging.

Check out:

http://www.brooklynparkinsongroup.org/

http://intothebrainwego.wordpress.com/2011/09...
Mike Ledford

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Sep 13, 2011
There are a lot of things that can help with brain health, especially for age-related declines ( http://www.antiagingjournal.org/7-easy-anti-a... ). Not surprising that something as technical as dance could help with distal nerves.
RIKKI

Eugene, OR

#6 Sep 24, 2011
I take Zumba classes at least 3 or 4 times a week. This class makes me feel good. It makes me work my brain
the choreography is always changing and keeps my mind pretty sharp. It's also feel good music. I sometimes have times when i have falling spells, but not so much when i'm in class, it makes me think about the steps i have to do and it makes a difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parkinson's Disease Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Meet the man who's walking 2,500 miles to fight... Mon kate Greenwood 1
News Rev Jesse Jackson discloses Parkinson's disease... Nov 18 Shimmy shimmy shimmy 2
News Rev Jesse Jackson discloses Parkinson's disease... Nov 18 Shimmy shimmy shimmy 2
Parkinsons & MRSA In sputum Sep '17 Lisa 1
News Ecstasy Could Reverse Parkinson's Disease In Mice (Mar '06) Sep '17 Steve 7
What James Parkinson Really Thought was Behind ... Sep '17 Joel 1
News Neurology Study Reveals What We Already Know: P... (May '17) May '17 Cammie S 3
More from around the web