Doctors often prescribe methadone

Doctors often prescribe methadone

There are 225 comments on the HeraldTribune.com story from Feb 19, 2008, titled Doctors often prescribe methadone. In it, HeraldTribune.com reports that:

This is in response to the guest column Wednesday by pharmacist Dan Gregory, titled "Needless overdoses and deaths won't stop without intervention." I take exception to all of Gregory's derogatory comments ... via HeraldTribune.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at HeraldTribune.com.

Since: Jun 10

Albany, OR

#129 Jun 21, 2010
xyz wrote:
All of you wanting methadone. I know of a podiatrist who will prescribe methadone.
NO WAY I AM NOT LOOKING FOR METHADONE!!!!!!
Angela
morgan87

Chicago, IL

#131 Aug 16, 2010
I have severe pain in my lower back and leg. I also have pinched nerves. I was on 100mg of methadone a day 300 10mg tablets a month. my doctor has recently started weaning me down i am now at 40mgs a day. It has been a huge decrease and he is not understanding the side effects of this decrease. I am trying to find a doctor for a second opinion. I have been on the methadone for 5 years with percocet for the break thru. I could do with out the break thru because it has no effect. the methadone blocks it. I am only alowed to see a certain amount of pain doctors in a years time because of my insurance. So I dont want to see a doctor that isnt going to help me. if anyone has any ideas on what to do please help! I have never failed a uring screen or gave the doctor any reason to think im a drugs seeker. I think he has got in some kind of trouble and is taking all of his methadone patients off. Which is not my fault. Ive tried pretty much all the meds out there from oxycontin to morphine and methadone is the only one that helps. Please help me!
-Morgan- IN.
manda

United States

#132 Aug 25, 2010
xyz wrote:
All of you wanting methadone. I know of a podiatrist who will prescribe methadone.
. I live in ks and was in an car wreck about 7 years ago I started on tab 7.5 then perk 7.5 then the patches and ocs so I had him put me on methadone and it worked I was taking 80mgs a day. I also have itp so my bill was so high that I can't see him anymore please help
WONDERING

Johnson City, TN

#133 Aug 25, 2010
roger mason wrote:
i want to be prescribed methadone for pain and addiction but theres nobody that will do it, unless its controlled by once a day by going to the dr. and it cost money and gas,,, any sugestions
i have been giving methadone 10 ml 2 take twice a day
Slickwilly

United States

#134 Aug 27, 2010
It's almost impossible to find a doctor in Kansas that will prescribe methadone. I have
the best insurance and a lot of money, I looked eveywhere. I'm from California getting there is easy, from a doctor that is. I moved here with a months supply, when I ran out I called my doctor and he refilled only once. I went to 9 pharmacies before I found one that carried it. So I slowly detoxed, then said f it. Currently I go to a clinic and am slowly going down. It takes about 6 months to get off commfortably. That Is if your taking 70 mg like me.
Slickwilly

United States

#135 Aug 27, 2010
The reason it's hard to get methadone is because people have been dying and doctors don't wanna take a risk. They believe if your on methadone your a junkie. Of course all the media with all these celebrities
dying because they overdose doesn't help either. My doctor in LA stop prescribing it when Anna Nicole and her son died it. I just found another doctor with 1 call. In Kansas it's a different story. I feel your pain.
pamela

Mcminnville, TN

#136 Sep 6, 2010
i have been on heiron for 20 years my life is hell fuck the goverment they brought the shit here. but wait tell there kids are shooting dope in there rooms.trust me they got there dirty hands in this drug war. i will see them in hell to! and god bless the ones out there still sick
Boss

Baton Rouge, LA

#137 Sep 8, 2010
any one looking for Methadones....? Email me at [email protected]
BIG V

Sherwood, OR

#138 Sep 17, 2010
HELLO THIS IS A CRISIS SITUATION I FELL & HURT MY LOWER BACK, I HAD SURGERY JUNE 16TH, NOT MUCH IMPROVEMENT!:( HOPE IS FADING FAST!! i ALSO HAVE FIBROMYALGIA & SHORGEN'S SYNDROME SO NEEDLESS TO SAY I AM IN INTENSE PAIN EVERY MINUTE OF EVERYDAY...MUCH LIKE THE REST OF YOU... MY DILEMMA IS I HAVE BEEN ON OXCYCOTIN & OXCYCODONE FOR BREAKTHROUGH PAIN. I WANT & NEED TO SWITCH TO METHADONE BUT I AM HAVING A RIDICULOUSLY HARD TIME AT FINDING A DOCTOR IN THE SALEM/PORTLAND OREGON AREAS THAT WILL COMPLY WITH MY WISHES.... DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW OF ANY DOCTORS IN THIS AREA THAT PRESCRIBE METHADONE FOR CHRONIC PAIN? I WOULD BE FOREVER GRATEFUL FOR ANY HELP AT ALL..... OH.. YEA..& AS FOR THE "NEW" OXCYCOTIN THEY REALLY SUCKKKKKKKKK.... THEY MAKE ME ITCH & NAUSEOUS & I HAVE NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM BEFORE.... OK ...WELL THANKS FOR LISTENING & GOD BLESS &I WILL PRAY THAT WHOEVER READS THIS HAS HAVE A PAIN FREE DAY!
methadone saved mylife

Fogelsville, PA

#139 Sep 18, 2010
PainFree wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hell is going on here? "Pain Free is a Fake".......nice try, but Im' pretty sure I know myself better than that nutcase....lol What a weirdo!!!lol I literally cant' stop laughing...omg
Great ending to a hard day. Wow, I guess I should be flattered......lol
Have a Good Night Terry......
PainFree
If you are addicted and in pain, I would suggest you find an addictionologist to help w/ both. Many have done a fellowship in pain mgmt. and are certified in dealing w/ addiction. A pain management clinic cannot prescibe you medication to detox, only for pain. An addictionologist will address both your pain and addiction.
But there are far and few between. If you call your local pain management doctors, they should be able to recommend you to someone in your area. Good Luck and Take Care!
for me i live in PA closest clinic that took me was about 50 mi away +$80 per week $5 in tolls i went here for about 4 months changed my life startrd me at 30mg liquid methadose when i was no longer able to go I was back to square1 wose than ever bc i was sick 4 a month ontop of doing 2 bundles of h a day bc the methadone blocked it so i was worse than b4 i went as far as steeling from my family and strangerts to support my $400 a day habit between me n my gf then when i got a good job i wanted to go back to the clinic change my life again but the clinics just happen to have like 3 week waiting lists so i was screwd so i took a shot in the dark to the unnamed dr that got me thare in the first palce he was my doc from baby up but my parents were addicded to pain killers as well my outher unnamed family memebers wrote the doc a note witch got them kicked out and i was also recieving 120 7.5 hydrocloride/500mg acetaminofin a month also at age 11 anyways i stoped going out of embarrresment ant at 18 now he did the unbelivabal gave me 150mg/day methadone same as the clinic the pharmacy refused to fill it saying it was a mistake utmif any methadone over 300tabs a month is red flaged and investagated from a private dr. so i went back he changed it to 100mg/day=300tabs and being stupid thinkin i had a tolerance from going to the clinic and all the opiates i did i took 150mg and OVERDOSED complete mistake wasent even trying to get a buzz if i was 1 min late to the hospis i wouldent be writing this ANYWAYS to the point methadone is a dangerous drug but if you have a good doc that goes by the hipaocratic oath he would outweigh the benafits over the dangers luckaly my doc was knew it was an accident and kept prescribing my meds and now my life as never beeen beter if know a doc like this and have a ligit reson to prescribe 4 pain ask him to do it 4 u if hes a good doc and really cares about ur life he will do it for you he just has to say its for pain fyi i have /3bulging disks/ 2 herneated discs/siataca/and scolious and the methadones take all my pain away more effective the ms conntins100mg heroin oxys etc. get the point find a dr u have known a long time say its just 4 a check up to evry one then when ur alone with the doc tell him ur realy here 4 a life threting personal problem and try to go from thare hel prob start u out weekly then monthly then bi-monthly ect. as long as u have clean urins
Shaheed Hassan

Goldsboro, NC

#140 Oct 11, 2010
Hi
my name's Shaheed, I have been on Methadone for tooooo Long to me it's like a Government free drug that cost 12 bucks at the clinic..I was on dope for many years , then i heard about da clinic,, yes i do admit that it methadone helped me off from percocet,oxycontin,and heroin...But it took 280miligrams..but now i have been on methadone for 7 years..And the truth it's the worst drug to come off of.I got of heroin cold turkey twice..But methadone i got of from once , but after two months i went ,its the most hard drug to come of from.When i usin 100 or 200 dollars was nuthing to me.. But now this 12 dollars a day, u would think it's cheap but trust me sometimes you have to scrape for that too...Plus you Have Benzodiapines habit Then you are simply F ---- D....Now and i do have major bad back i used to get 180 10 mg Percocet a month that's how i got hooked on Drugs..
I wonder what do i say to a doctor If i want to get methadone prescribed for my back, i have M.R.I and record showin tht my back is messed.But do i mention that i go ta methadone clinic...Do anybody know....
Deborah

Clinton, NC

#142 Nov 3, 2010
My doctor knows the only thing that give me relife is percocets.For nu 1.I fell on my job.When I fell,I fell backward on three steps.And I hve a shunk in my hea.But I tried to shielde the side that it was on.But it jarred it,and plus bruise my cheek,mess up my back,hip,thigh,my whold right side.So now the doctor saying that when she give me the blod test,urine test shows up in my work.But I explained it two her I runs out of my meds like 3 or 4 days for it to be refill.So she don't know whether to keep me on as apatience or not.what can i do.I don't sell no pills.I be hurting so bad.plus I have a slip disc in my neck.Spurs on my spine.Please tell me what to do.I like that doctor,and i donot want to be discharge. Tell me what to do
ree

United States

#143 Nov 10, 2010
did you ever find a dr in the portland area? if so, help me out. I recently moved here as well, and I take the same meds.(ocycodone and methadone) and cannot find a dr. I always went to a primary care dr.
BIG V wrote:
HELLO THIS IS A CRISIS SITUATION I FELL & HURT MY LOWER BACK, I HAD SURGERY JUNE 16TH, NOT MUCH IMPROVEMENT!:( HOPE IS FADING FAST!! i ALSO HAVE FIBROMYALGIA & SHORGEN'S SYNDROME SO NEEDLESS TO SAY I AM IN INTENSE PAIN EVERY MINUTE OF EVERYDAY...MUCH LIKE THE REST OF YOU... MY DILEMMA IS I HAVE BEEN ON OXCYCOTIN & OXCYCODONE FOR BREAKTHROUGH PAIN. I WANT & NEED TO SWITCH TO METHADONE BUT I AM HAVING A RIDICULOUSLY HARD TIME AT FINDING A DOCTOR IN THE SALEM/PORTLAND OREGON AREAS THAT WILL COMPLY WITH MY WISHES.... DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW OF ANY DOCTORS IN THIS AREA THAT PRESCRIBE METHADONE FOR CHRONIC PAIN? I WOULD BE FOREVER GRATEFUL FOR ANY HELP AT ALL..... OH.. YEA..& AS FOR THE "NEW" OXCYCOTIN THEY REALLY SUCKKKKKKKKK.... THEY MAKE ME ITCH & NAUSEOUS & I HAVE NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM BEFORE.... OK ...WELL THANKS FOR LISTENING & GOD BLESS &I WILL PRAY THAT WHOEVER READS THIS HAS HAVE A PAIN FREE DAY!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#144 Nov 10, 2010
I know how hard it is for you folks suffering chronic pain but, unless you can find a Pain Clinic to accept you as a patient, I'd be surprised if you find relief.

The DEA has come down hard and, doctors are between a rock and a hard place. Best bet is to ask your PCP (primary care physician) for a referral to a Pain Clinic.

Some methadone clinics might take you but, going that route tags you as an addict and no pain clinic or doctor will ever consider you if you chose that.

Good luck to all and best wishes.
BIG V

Mcminnville, OR

#145 Dec 15, 2010
ree wrote:
did you ever find a dr in the portland area? if so, help me out. I recently moved here as well, and I take the same meds.(ocycodone and methadone) and cannot find a dr. I always went to a primary care dr.
<quoted text>
SORRY IT HAS TAKEN ME SO LONG TO GET BACK TO YOU. TRY DR. CARL BALOG HE HAS PAIN MANAGEMENT CLINIC IN PORTLAND
Pain Hurtz

Hopkinsville, KY

#146 Jan 5, 2011
Hi There. I wanted to let you know I've been on methadone for many years for Migraines and Chronic headaches that nearly ruined my life. The methadone has truly saved my life, it has controlled my pain has allowed me to function like a regular person. You shouldn't have much of a problem finding a doctor in houston if you have medical records.
Lee B

Cedar Park, TX

#148 Jan 12, 2011
Restless Legs- Methadone wrote:
I have taken 5 mg of methdone a day for 14 years for restless legs syndrome...2.5 mg in the a.m. and 2.5 at nite. I have moved to Austin and cannot find a Dr to prescribe this for me....really, 5mgs a day??? How much of an issue can that be? Same dose, never varied for 14 years. I am an athletic professional, not an abuse risk. Can anyone offer an intelligent Dr in the Austin Area that can understand that low dose Methadone is the best RLS treatment without side effects of the other meds and interfering with the rest of your life according to the journals.
Please let me know any names in Austin. I have similar problem.
Lee B

Cedar Park, TX

#149 Jan 12, 2011
Wondering about Dr. in Austin area. Trying to find somewhere to go besides clinic. Any suggestions?
chris p

Iselin, NJ

#150 Jan 20, 2011
Hello my name is Chris P. and I am currently on 125 mg. liquid methadone and detoxing at 1mg.per week (at my request and can stop at any time) and at a clinic in Philadelphia. I got on methadone in 1998. In 1998 they were dispensing 40mg.methadone tablets dissolved in juice. By the year 2000 I was no longer using and stable. In 2002 my clinic switched to liquid methadone and within one year of taking the liquid methadone my dose nearly tripled from 80 mg.'s to 215 mg.'s and then started to gain weight from 175 lbs. to 235 lbs. that's when the health problems began. In late 2002 the vomiting and cold sweats started, I think the cold sweats were from being in withdrawal from vomiting up the methadone daily. I informed my counselor and we decided to lower the dose of methadone 5 mg.'s a week it was not helping I started getting sicker and sicker all the while lowering my dose. I was begging my counselor to raise it back up to no avail she had it in her mind that my health be better off without methadone I even bribed her with 500 hundred dollars I was so desperate and it almost worked but I told her supervisor and she was fired 2 weeks later. Im not proud of what I had done I really felt like I was dying by the time her supervisor intervened I was down to 30 mg.'s. 2 days later I collapsed in pain and was rushed to the hospital and an emergency appendectomy was done and my appendix was removed. The next day I saw the doctor and I thanked him for saving my life cause I really thought I was going to die and the doctor said to me that was the worst appendix he has ever removed and It smelled awful. Well I thought that's it im going to be alright now but the horror was just about to begin within weeks I was to start feeling the same symptoms as before vomiting and real bad nausea and severe pain but I was told not to mention pain to the clinic doctor because he would not raise my dose for pain so I did not mention the pain and my dose was raised back up but it did not help because of my not being able to hold it down so began frequent trips to the hospital for injections of dilaudid for the severe pain. I thought a toothache was bad or a broken leg but this was by far the worst pain I had ever felt and then the great news came in the hospital that I have crohne's disease, the same disease that killed my brother in 2006. So I tried several types of medications for about 2 yrs starting in 2004 they were not working and my dose of methadone was not holding me so I started to shot dope again , you dont know how this crushed my mother and me as a person who thought he had it beat and believe me I dealt with a lot of pain before I gave in, but in hindsight it was the dilaudid that set me off I know that now not the pain. In late 2004 I started a new medication with a lot of promise called Humira it's an injectible that I take 2 times a month and it has made life somewhat manageable in a sense that I haven't had to use anything illegal and or legal drugs for breakthrough pain, like percocet which I have stopped in 2005 so I can get take home bottles of methadone which I now have 6 a week because drug screens have been clean since 2005. This is all great but the fact still remains that I am still vomiting up the methadone 4 or 5 times a week. what I am really trying to say and that is, is there a way for me to get my methadone in pill form again my G.I. doctor says he cant write prescriptions for methadone. Only pain clinics can. and this is all new to me because I honestly thought that I would stay on methadone the rest of my life and keep my 6 bottles a week and that's it. But my health wont co-operate and crohne's disease is for life. Now there must be an alternative for people who are sick on methadone and have clean drug screens for 5 or 6 years to receive there methadone at home in pill form.
Thank You Chris. P
jonnie jackass

Oshkosh, WI

#151 Jan 20, 2011
chris p wrote:
Hello my name is Chris P. and I am currently on 125 mg. liquid methadone and detoxing at 1mg.per week (at my request and can stop at any time) and at a clinic in Philadelphia. I got on methadone in 1998. In 1998 they were dispensing 40mg.methadone tablets dissolved in juice. By the year 2000 I was no longer using and stable. In 2002 my clinic switched to liquid methadone and within one year of taking the liquid methadone my dose nearly tripled from 80 mg.'s to 215 mg.'s and then started to gain weight from 175 lbs. to 235 lbs. that's when the health problems began. In late 2002 the vomiting and cold sweats started, I think the cold sweats were from being in withdrawal from vomiting up the methadone daily. I informed my counselor and we decided to lower the dose of methadone 5 mg.'s a week it was not helping I started getting sicker and sicker all the while lowering my dose. I was begging my counselor to raise it back up to no avail she had it in her mind that my health be better off without methadone I even bribed her with 500 hundred dollars I was so desperate and it almost worked but I told her supervisor and she was fired 2 weeks later. Im not proud of what I had done I really felt like I was dying by the time her supervisor intervened I was down to 30 mg.'s. 2 days later I collapsed in pain and was rushed to the hospital and an emergency appendectomy was done and my appendix was removed. The next day I saw the doctor and I thanked him for saving my life cause I really thought I was going to die and the doctor said to me that was the worst appendix he has ever removed and It smelled awful. Well I thought that's it im going to be alright now but the horror was just about to begin within weeks I was to start feeling the same symptoms as before vomiting and real bad nausea and severe pain but I was told not to mention pain to the clinic doctor because he would not raise my dose for pain so I did not mention the pain and my dose was raised back up but it did not help because of my not being able to hold it down so began frequent trips to the hospital for injections of dilaudid for the severe pain. I thought a toothache was bad or a broken leg but this was by far the worst pain I had ever felt and then the great news came in the hospital that I have crohne's disease, the same disease that killed my brother in 2006. So I tried several types of medications for about 2 yrs starting in 2004 they were not working and my dose of methadone was not holding me so I started to shot dope again , you dont know how this crushed my mother and me as a person who thought he had it beat and believe me I dealt with a lot of pain before I gave in, but in hindsight it was the dilaudid that set me off I know that now not the pain. In late 2004 I started a new medication with a lot of promise called Humira it's an injectible that I take 2 times a month and it has made life somewhat manageable in a sense that I haven't had to use anything illegal and or legal drugs for breakthrough pain, like percocet which I have stopped in 2005 so I can get take home bottles of methadone which I now have 6 a week because drug screens have been clean since 2005. This is all great but the fact still remains that I am still vomiting up the methadone 4 or 5 times a week. what I am really trying to say and that is, is there a way for me to get my methadone in pill form again my G.I. doctor says he cant write prescriptions for methadone. Only pain clinics can. and this is all new to me because I honestly thought that I would stay on methadone the rest of my life and keep my 6 bottles a week and that's it. But my health wont co-operate and crohne's disease is for life. Now there must be an alternative for people who are sick on methadone and have clean drug screens for 5 or 6 years to receive there methadone at home in pill form.
Thank You Chris. P
Chris, Shrinks can prescribe methadone in pill form, tell him your story and he should! Good luck!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cold Sore Treatment Over the Counter (Sep '10) Fri Soapboxracer 9
Lower Back Pain (Jan '15) Wed aspecialist 6
News Advances Against Chronic Pain (Sep '12) Aug 26 Ambct617 20
News Continuing education on opioid prescribing shou... Aug 25 Likes Mashed Pota... 1
News Root canal surgery: Marketplace Dental Centre i... Aug 21 other needs 1
News Acid reflux disease hits Americans hard (Oct '08) Aug 20 Stomachisstupid 16
Stolen pain meds,doctors and patients please re... (Feb '10) Aug 17 Dr Edward 17
More from around the web