Doctors often prescribe methadone

Feb 19, 2008 Full story: HeraldTribune.com 224

This is in response to the guest column Wednesday by pharmacist Dan Gregory, titled "Needless overdoses and deaths won't stop without intervention." I take exception to all of Gregory's derogatory comments ... via HeraldTribune.com

Full Story
Cyn

Denham Springs, LA

#243 May 22, 2012
So sorry for double words and spelling I have poor vision and a new iPad but I mean well. I am very excited to find this web site and hope want little I have to offer to other people as I said earlier I have been on methadone and tried to do some traveling in my late thirties and earlier forties and found it almost impossible because of type of meeds I was on. So if I can help anyone I will.
Anna

Portland, OR

#244 May 23, 2012
Well I TOTALLY AGREE with u on this trying to find a doc that will prescribe Methadone. I had a dr that took care of my whole family and she decided to move out of town, she had me on Methadone and vicodin for break thru for my Chronic Pain in my lower back. I have Severe Degerative Disc Disease, bulging discs, and bone spurs, so i am in alot of pain 24-7. I am having so much trouble finding a doctor to continue my medication. Doctors just don't listen, they all think I'm out here drug seeking. Always passed my drug screens and pill counts. SO WHAT IS THE F'in PROBLEM!!! I have to raise 3 kids and it's so hard being in pain all day. My quality of life is gone. So if you find some doctor in the Portland area please let me know and i'll do the same.
Thanks alot and stayed prayed up
BIG V wrote:
HELLO THIS IS A CRISIS SITUATION I FELL & HURT MY LOWER BACK, I HAD SURGERY JUNE 16TH, NOT MUCH IMPROVEMENT!:( HOPE IS FADING FAST!! i ALSO HAVE FIBROMYALGIA & SHORGEN'S SYNDROME SO NEEDLESS TO SAY I AM IN INTENSE PAIN EVERY MINUTE OF EVERYDAY...MUCH LIKE THE REST OF YOU... MY DILEMMA IS I HAVE BEEN ON OXCYCOTIN & OXCYCODONE FOR BREAKTHROUGH PAIN. I WANT & NEED TO SWITCH TO METHADONE BUT I AM HAVING A RIDICULOUSLY HARD TIME AT FINDING A DOCTOR IN THE SALEM/PORTLAND OREGON AREAS THAT WILL COMPLY WITH MY WISHES.... DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW OF ANY DOCTORS IN THIS AREA THAT PRESCRIBE METHADONE FOR CHRONIC PAIN? I WOULD BE FOREVER GRATEFUL FOR ANY HELP AT ALL..... OH.. YEA..& AS FOR THE "NEW" OXCYCOTIN THEY REALLY SUCKKKKKKKKK.... THEY MAKE ME ITCH & NAUSEOUS & I HAVE NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM BEFORE.... OK ...WELL THANKS FOR LISTENING & GOD BLESS &I WILL PRAY THAT WHOEVER READS THIS HAS HAVE A PAIN FREE DAY!
Desiree

Levittown, PA

#245 May 24, 2012
chris p wrote:
let me start by telling you I have been on methadone for 12 years and out of the 12 yrs. 10 of them have been clean however I developed Crohne's disease and now I have pain constantly if I try to detox so I thought I was stuck and that I would die on a methadone clinic. But as fate turns out I went to my primary care doc and gave him a letter from my clinic stating I have been clean for 10 yrs. That impressed him enough so I asked to be transferred to a pain clinic so I no longer have to go to that fuckin clinic anymore. So if anyone is in my position there is hope !
Hi Chris, I just read your post. I too have been at a methadone clinic for 11 years and have not failed a drug test in 11 years!!! I go one day a week for many years now. My issue however, is I can't afford it and am looking to have a private doctor. I'm college educated on methadone and now work in a hospital. Any suggestions on recieving methadone privately would help emmensely.
Thanks,
Desiree
Desiree.andy@gmail.com
Jim G in NB Texas

Bronx, NY

#246 May 25, 2012
Ive been going to same methadone clinic for seven yesrs now and have monthly take homes (28 doses at a time). I have severe chronic back pain from surgeries and degenerative disc disease etc.. I dont mind going to clinic once a month, its the cost thats killing me ($235 month). If i were able to go to a Dr and get it prescribed it would only cost $7.00 per month!! Ive never had any problems at the clinic the entire 7 years ive been going there (no dirty UAs, etc.). Is there any doctors in New Braunfels, Tx are or Austin TX or San Antonio Tx that can help?! Thanks for reading my story!
Jim G in NB Texas

Bronx, NY

#247 May 25, 2012
I was just going to say that i did have a dentist tell me that the methadone along with depakote (for bipolar condition) and celexa (for depression) that i was taking was contributing to a factor that was drying my mouth out Including teeth and gums. Good oral hygeine habits like daily flossing and gargling and brushing a few times a day can and will prevent any damage from the dry mouth condition. Biotene has a good line of products for this condition and will help prevent these problems. Im not taking sides here, just sharing my own personal experience.
michelle wrote:
<quoted text>
I agreemeth. Is a life saver,do you know how I can find a list of doctors who will prescribe meth. So I can get out of my clinic? I only take 10 mg a day, but, I feel alot of pain. My high dose was 80 mg. Because of my job I have to stay on a lower dose. I never have had relief from anything like meth. has helped me. So, I want to continue I just don't want hasles from clinic, inconvenience of my job.Do you know price difference clinic vrs. Doctor ?$10 a day at clinic is what I pay now. email is michellemasey742@yahoo.com
Jennifer

Wichita, KS

#248 Aug 27, 2012
Hi, had issues with Advanced Pain Medicine Associates in Wichita, KS. Apparently they have a monopoly on the narcotic pain medicine. I haven't seen them in years but now I am being referred back and they have advised me they most likely won't accept me back as a patient, plus I owe them $77 (they kept harping on that on the phone) Personally, I can't stand them and I really dislike how they treat people. Looking for someone willing to prescribe my oxycontin 60 mg 3x pr day and my 120 perc 10's. I have been on them successfully for 5 years, no problems with addiction. My regular pain management Dr can no longer write, moving to a new practice. My neurologist doesn't want to handle it and is scared to get in trouble with regulations. I don't want to have to drive to Hutchinson every 30 days for my script. I've called every doctor I can think of for pain management and none write scripts anymore. Any ideas in Wichita for a primary care doctor that can write and is willing to help a chronic pain patient?
chris p

Philadelphia, PA

#250 Aug 31, 2012
Desiree wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Chris, I just read your post. I too have been at a methadone clinic for 11 years and have not failed a drug test in 11 years!!! I go one day a week for many years now. My issue however, is I can't afford it and am looking to have a private doctor. I'm college educated on methadone and now work in a hospital. Any suggestions on recieving methadone privately would help emmensely.
Thanks,
Desiree
Desiree.andy@gmail.com
Desiree all i can tell you is how i did it, I went to my primary doctor and told him that I cannot hold down the liquid methadone because of my crohne's disease I vomit the methadon almost every day and gave him proof of my uds for the last 5 years that showed i was clean but I also have crohne's disease and I got on methadone because of my addiction to pain killers. I also had a great counselor who gave me letters of recommendation and I only went to the clinic 1 day a week as well
so if you have proof of your clean urine's and you have an underlying physical condition that the liquid methadone is aggravating then you might have a chance but let me tell you it did not happen over night it took me over 6 months of begging and praying that my doc would have compassion so start getting your proof together and letters of recommendation from counselors and supervisors and maybe it will work but you gotta do the footwork.
so that's how it worked for me !
Good Luck from Chris.p
scojoy

Pittsburgh, PA

#251 Aug 31, 2012
I own a methadone clinic for addiction in western PA and most of outlet patients are very successful with their addiction problems. It is also a very good if not the best drug to prescribe for chronic pain due to its long acting properties. Anything can and will be misused and it is my job as a prescriber to the best job I can to prevent misuse.
Chris p

Philadelphia, PA

#252 Sep 2, 2012
This is what I did; I got my proof from drug screens that went back as far as 5 years and I got letters of recommendation from my counselors and supervisors through all the years that I have been there and I also have Crohnes' Disease which is all documented and I got it all together and went to my primary doctor and asked him to transfer me to a pain clinic and it did not happen right away it took over 6 months to get him to trust me so every time I went to see my doc I would give him one letter at a time
from counselors to a supervisor plus letters that I wrote explaining my situation plus I was willing to detox from 150mg to 80mg. Do not offer money you want him to have compassion for you and how well you are doing and how much better you would be in his care . Also remember appearance is everything on the outside and inside always look your best and keep in mind as long as you keep doing the right things good thing will happen you got to have faith in yourself

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#253 Sep 12, 2012
all i can say is methadone is great till u go to get off of it.lol. good uk. nuthn helps. methadone is the end of the road folks. stay on percs as long as possible
Tab

Brandon, MS

#254 Oct 7, 2012
Does anyone know of any private doctors that accepts medicare or medicaid that writes methadone? Please let me know.
who cares

Philadelphia, PA

#255 Oct 7, 2012
scojoy wrote:
I own a methadone clinic for addiction in western PA and most of outlet patients are very successful with their addiction problems. It is also a very good if not the best drug to prescribe for chronic pain due to its long acting properties. Anything can and will be misused and it is my job as a prescriber to the best job I can to prevent misuse.
and how does this help others
mark schubert

Hales Corners, WI

#256 Jan 22, 2013
Fellow Wisconsinite wrote:
Hi there..Welcome to Wisconsin!
Do you suffer from any kind of chronic pain? Because that's usually the only way they'll prescribe it. I'm not sure which part of the state you are in, but leave an email address and we'll talk!
Hi my name is mark i have been liveing in chronic pain for 5ys. I have had vicoden, oxycodone and all leave me with break through pain 2hrs after taking them plaese help my email is mschubert70@att.net I live in the milwaukee metro area thank you!
mark schubert

Hales Corners, WI

#257 Jan 22, 2013
As stated I have chronic pain given vicoden to oxycodone 15mg. still have break through pain 2hrs after taken them please help. my email is mschubert70@att.net. I live in Mileaukee thank you!
JGGINNB

San Antonio, TX

#258 Jan 23, 2013
Tab wrote:
Does anyone know of any private doctors that accepts medicare or medicaid that writes methadone? Please let me know.
That my friend is the million dollar question!!! I've been a successful methadone maintenance patient for 6+ years and have been taking it (from a clinic) for chronic pain management. Although legally the clinic cannot state they are providing the medication for this purpose. It is for addiction and counseling purposes only according to them. So, unfortunately Medicare will not pay for it and I have to pay $235 per month cash for it. This kills my monthly budget. I wish I could find a Dr to prescribe it for pain mgt so my insurance would cover it!
Be Careful What You Wish

Minneapolis, MN

#259 Jan 28, 2013
There's a reason why methadone is called "liquid handcuffs". Once you go on it, there is only a 7% recovery rate, meaning... You will be an addict for the rest of your lives.
JGGINNB

San Antonio, TX

#260 Jan 29, 2013
Be Careful What You Wish wrote:
There's a reason why methadone is called "liquid handcuffs". Once you go on it, there is only a 7% recovery rate, meaning... You will be an addict for the rest of your lives.
I totally agree with you!!! I mean no disrespect, But with or without the methadone some of us(myself included) have exhausted all other therapy and surgical possibilities and now will have chronic pain for the rest of our (my) lives. What is the lessor of two evils ? I can't take care of my family and household while in pain. I can however function and do these things on methadone.
Amjo1982

Toledo, OH

#262 Mar 15, 2013
Ruby wrote:
<quoted text>
Terry this is standard diatribe for yourself. You have just been called out and all you can do is place blame elsewhere. I've asked you to leave me alone on numerous occaisions yet you continue to hound me. You haven't matched my behavior, you've only proven yourself to be an immature old man, by the way I am much younger than you.
Now that someone else mentions something, do you think you can stop trying to place blame on anyone other than yourself for once?
I am done with and your immaturity Terry. Do not respond to this post and leave me alone finally. End of story.
Hey guys what happened here? I was just looking for methadone information. Who is calling who a junkie? Bc in reality, anyone on this thread, board, whatever, should not be using that word. It stigmatizes , well, y'all know what I mean. This is not directed to anyone in particular, just why is this being said on here? Jw.:)
drbehl22

Hartland, WI

#263 Apr 22, 2013
Fellow Wisconsinite wrote:
Hi there..Welcome to Wisconsin!
Do you suffer from any kind of chronic pain? Because that's usually the only way they'll prescribe it. I'm not sure which part of the state you are in, but leave an email address and we'll talk!
this is David another pancreatitis patient looking for a Wisconsin doctor NOT CLINIC to prescribe methadone. I live in portage. Anyone have any doctor names for this in my area? So desperate please!
Mr Reed

Norristown, PA

#264 Apr 22, 2013
scojoy wrote:
Hello, what part if western PA are you in? I'm currently in the Philly area, Norristown to be exact. I'm a musician and have been traveling across the country for severel years now, getting methadone thru Rx from a Dr. My fathers Dr. actually. He and I are both on it for years. My father passed away two weeks ago and I'm almost out. I need at least 150 Methadone pills to get me back to Nashville and to have enough to have time when I get there to either find another Dr. who will help me or to get onto a clinic, which I despise. They keep you locked down bound to there program, never bring able to leave and hit the road. Anyway, if you have any suggestions on a Dr. in the state of PA. who may have some sympathy to my situation, I'd really appreciate it. I only need a one month Rx to get me back to where I need to be. Thanks so much...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The attitude when it comes to treating chronic ... Tue idahocowboy 3
Medical marijuana (May '10) Dec 20 big budz in kona 203
Neck Pain Dec 16 jordennancy23 2
Oral Herpes (HSV-1) and Genital Herpes (HSV-2):... Dec 15 Victor99 8
Heal Pain Naturally, try the power of nature - ... Dec 15 Gerald Vonberger 1
Stolen pain meds,doctors and patients please re... (Feb '10) Dec 13 Ash 13
Headaches a sign of other physical problems Nov '14 Chiropractor From... 7
More from around the web