Study backs removal of healthy ovaries in women with cancer risk

Surgery to remove healthy ovaries gives a triple benefit to high-risk women: It lowers their threat of breast and ovarian cancer, and boosts their chances of living longer, new research suggests. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Gail Perry

United States

#122 Oct 8, 2010
Fortunately for my sweetheart I am not going to judge all males based on you.
icouldusesomehel p

Long Beach, CA

#123 Oct 8, 2010
Gail Perry wrote:
Fortunately for my sweetheart I am not going to judge all males based on you.
"Sweetheart"

What are you, a hundred?
Gail Perry

United States

#124 Oct 8, 2010
icouldusesomehel p wrote:
<quoted text>
"Sweetheart"
What are you, a hundred?
A hundred percent better than you ever were? You bet! And very glad that in real life I can walk away from people like you.:)
Gail Perry

Leonard, MI

#125 Oct 9, 2010
Where, oh where, did Dorothy go? I still want to know why I was supposed to get the "heebie jeebies" over that one research report. I just can't figure out why that one would be upsetting when literally thousands of others have not been. I wish she would come back and 'splain herself.

“Advocate for Womens Health”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#126 Oct 13, 2010
Gail Perry wrote:
Wrigley, it's a less invasive but not as safe choice.
I'm well aware of this one. I've had breast cancer, my mother had it, my grandmother had it, my great-grandmother had it.
Gee -- you think it might be genetic?
My daughters are followed VERY closely, but they know that removal of their ovaries would be their safest alternative. Medical (clinically) it's FAR less dangerous than breast cancer. But that's a really hard call for 28 and 30 year old women who have not had children, not to mention such early menopause.
Melissa, I understand your viewpoint, but you were dealing with ovarian cancer, not breast cancer. In SOME cases, removal of the ovaries can offer TREMENDOUS protection against developing breast (and, obviously) ovarian cancer. Removing the uterus offers no such protection, and typically what is recommended is removal of the ovaries.
Lizbeth, I can tell you that no one in my family is making this choice based only on "what the experts say," but only an idiot would not even listen to the experts when faced with such circumstances.
Each woman facing this choice will make it in her own way. I can't imagine anyone choosing to have their ovaries removed *just* because "some expert said so."
Gail, first off I want to say how sorry I am that the women in your family have had to deal with breast cancer or any cancer for that matter. In my first reply I stated multiple times that although a hysterectomy did not help myself or many other's, it has helped some women. I did also state that I do not suggest that no woman ever get a hysterectomy, I was simply stating that many doctors are TOO EAGER to giving hysterectomy's. Many women feel a hysterectomy will rid them or protect them from these horrible disease's, but they are not made aware of what really happens after a hysterectomy. I also stated the even if your OVARIES are removed you still have a high chance at getting BREAST cancer and Peritoneal cancer(a form of cancer that acts like and is similar to ovarian cancer). In fact it has been recently released that if a woman removes her ovaries, she has a higher risk at getting BREAST and Peritoneal cancer-not to mention every thing else that I listed in my first post. If you don't mind me asking have you or any of your family members had a hysterectomy??
Gail Perry

Indianapolis, IN

#127 Oct 13, 2010
In my first reply I stated multiple times that although a hysterectomy did not help myself or many other's, it has helped some women."

A hysterectomy won't help. An oompharectomy, where the ovaries are removed, can eliminate the risk of ovarian cancer and reduce (but not eliminate) the risk of breast cancer in some specific women. The rate of hysterectomies has nothing to do with this.

I think you have some of your information mixed up. IN WOMEN WHO HAVE ONE OR BOTH OF THE BRCA genes there is NO doubt -- removal of OVARIES (not uterus, the hysterectomy) significantly reduces the risk of breast cancer.

It does not eliminate the risk of all breast cancer. It reduces greatly the risk of hormone-fed breast cancer.

Women who have one or both BRCA genes are also at greater risk of peritoneal cancer, but removing the ovaries does not increase that risk. Peritoneal cancer is actually pretty rare and for me would not be a factor in this decision.

No, no one in my family has had a hysterectomy. No one in my family has had uterine cancer. In fact, we have had no ovarian cancer although we're at increased risk for it.

Removing the uterus has absolutely no benefit for women with one or both of the BRCA genes.
watcher

Long Beach, CA

#128 Oct 13, 2010
Every organ/part of our body works in synergy with the others. Remove one and that synergy is destroyed, and long term problems result.

Advocating removal of any healthy body part is barbaric nonsense.
Gail Perry

United States

#129 Oct 13, 2010
Wow, Watcher...

they're there for a reason! Who knew?

Things go wrong, and then we have to make hard choices. Even the lowly appendix may play a role in maintaining beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract -- that is, until it becomes infected with destructive bacteria that can kill you.

It's amazing to me that you think you need to tell women that their ovaries are there for a reason.

However, if you die of cancer at 40 because your hormones fueled an aggressive cancer, there goes the synergy, straight to the funeral home.

I am sure that one day we will look at all our current cancer treatments as barbaric. They are harsh and brutal.

So are the choices we women must make. For you to stand there and criticize those medical choices -- that's barbaric. Each woman has to evaluate her particular situation and decide for herself.

By the way, doctors don't push it even though they know that women with the BRCA genes have a 50% chance of getting ovarian cancer (50% fatality rate) and an EIGHTY percent chance of getting hormone-fed breast cancer.

They put it out as an option. It IS an option. If you think it's "barbaric," don't make that choice for yourself.
Dorothy

AOL

#130 Oct 20, 2010
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-1...

Hormone replacement causes 5X risk for ovarian cancers to develop.
Gail Perry

Sun City, FL

#131 Oct 21, 2010
Dorothy wrote:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_ releases/2010-10/uocd-ert10201 0.php
Hormone replacement causes 5X risk for ovarian cancers to develop.
No one here has recommended HRT.

I was on hormone SUPPRESSANT therapy. The ovaries are not the only source of "female" hormones. Once again, women who actually choose an oompharectomy will have all of this explained to them in detail.
Gail Perry

United States

#132 Oct 21, 2010
My response was really inadequate.

Having ovaries if you have the BRCA genes increases you risk of ovarian cancer to 80% and your risk of breast cancer to 50%. If you do get ovarian cancer, it's fatal 50% of the time.

It's a trade-off. There are no clear-cut answers when you have one or both BRCA genes. Each person has to decide for themselves.

I wouldn't make that choice because being on hormone suppressant therapy was very hard on me. However, my reaction to that treatment was extreme. Not everyone will have as hard a time as I did. I still have my ovaries but I would not try to influence anyone else to make the choice I did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ovarian Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Annabelle Russell soon will move into hospice care Sep 22 surface tension 1
Health-care fears loom large in gay marriage cases Aug '14 Mitt s Baptism of... 8
Ind. ordered to recognize 1 same-sex marriage Jul '14 WeTheSheeple 1
Doctor group urges against gynecological pelvic... Jul '14 pailrider 3
Patsy Ramsey Dies After Battle With Ovarian Cancer (Jun '06) May '14 Ninhydrin 20
Disease-free survival estimates for ovarian can... (Apr '14) Apr '14 AIPAC is sicko 2
5 Foods Women Should Eat More (May '10) Feb '14 erica8k 4

Ovarian Cancer People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE