Alternative to Fosamax
Dr John Neustadt ND

Bozeman, MT

#1 Aug 25, 2008
Many people are realizing that Fosamax can actually be dangerous and are looking for alternatives. My partner, Steve Pieczenik, MD, PhD, and I have created an alternative to Fosamax, called Osteo-K ( ).
Osteo-K contains 45 mg Vitamin K2, 2,000 units Vitamin D3, and 1,200 mg Calcium, 300 mg Magnesium and 1 mg Boron. A meta-analysis published in 2006 in the Archives of Internal Medicine reviewed all the clinical trials that used Vitamin K2 for osteopenia and osteoporosis.
The researchers concluded that the amount and form of Vitamin K (the K2 form) in Osteo-K decrease the risk of vertebral fractures by 60%, hip fractures by 71% and all nonvertebral fractures by 81%. This exceeds the benefits in clinical trials that prescribed medications such as Fosamax, without the dangerous side effects. Vitamin K2 has also been shown in clinical trials to increase the effects of bisphosphonate medications (e.g., etidronate [Didronel], alendronate [Fosamax] and risendronate [Actonel]). Vitamin K2 exerts a powerful influence on bone building, especially in osteoporosis, and has been cited as one of the most frequently prescribed treatments for osteoporosis in Japan. A review article on osteoporosis that we wrote for the journal, Integrative Medicine: A Clinicianís Journal will be published in an upcoming issue. We were contacted by the Editor-In-Chief of the journal and asked to write this article.
If you are concerned about bone health, I encourage you to take a look at this product.
Vivian R Hackett

Hurleyville, NY

#2 Jul 4, 2009
Why do drugs to save your bones when there is a food that has the same stuff like plumbs. The small blue plum that they make into prunes. Nature has already made it for us as it contains boron, potassium, and vitamin K. Taking 3 to 6 prunes a day has a better effect on the bones and has not side affects. There has been studies done on using prunes and there is a larger study underway. I am going the natural food way to keep my bones healthy. No more fosamax for me!

Dublin, Ireland

#3 Nov 22, 2009
Thanks for the tip about prunes I may try that. I have a jaw problem, knee problems though I walk miles but more recently I have kidney inflammation which can be caused by Fosamax. I have Acromegaly so expect both jaw and knee problems anyway but here's the thing it is almost under control now and my Growth Hormone level is only slightly high.Have had tests for kidneys , inflammation unexplained, guess it is the Fosamax. I will try the prunes, on blueberries anyway but this drug I am on yrs now. Will leave it out for a few months. Dr's do not know everything but they do say here that every tablet has a side effect. However if what I am reading about this bone drug is true then the risks are too great. Thanx again Janey

#4 Nov 25, 2010
i am a fosamax user i pay 47 euro 31 cents for 4 tabs 70 mgms how much should those cost at H S E
Are there any good alternative to fosamax for
brickle bones.
i would appreciate any advice.

Torrance, CA

#7 Jul 21, 2011
There are a lot of drugs that may substitute Fosamax, however, it is best to seek for the advice of your doctor if you are planning to switch to a different medication.

Chicago, IL

#8 Nov 11, 2011
There are alternative medicines to substitute Fosamax. It has been proven dangerous according to claims then why stick to this? Medications are given to heal not to break and cripple us forever. The dozens of Fosamax lawsuit against the manufacturer of this drug are proofs of its danger.
Lily Milan

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Jun 15, 2012
I certainly agree to this. natural treatment is still safer over synthetic treatments. Natural is often considered by experts as freefrom any side effects.
Diane Liftkin

Huntington, NY

#10 Nov 26, 2012
Women taking Fosamax and similar medicines for osteoporosis need more vitamin D.

A recent report in the journal Osteoporosis International showed that women need more vitamin D than currently recommended by the Institute of Medicine to support their medical treatment. The study compared women who had a good response to bisphosphonates with women who had a poor response to bisphosphonates medications. The main difference was that the women in the favorable response to treatment had vitamin D levels that were higher than currently recommended by the Institute of Medicine.

This means that women with osteoporosis who are taking bisphosphonates need extra vitamin D. If you are taking Fosamax or similar medicines, itís probably a good idea to ask your doctor to check your vitamin D levels. The currently recommended amount of vitamin D intake for women between the ages of 51 and 70 years is 600 IU per day. Silicalô System ( ) has 1000 IU of vitamin D which is the amount of extra vitamin D thatís needed according to this monthís report. Silical System also has other nutrients that improve the effects of vitamin D to help it do its job for bone health.

Phoenix, AZ

#11 Dec 19, 2012
Fosamax is a bisphosphonate drug which is usually used in the prevention of potential osteoporosis. However, a number of people are not well-aware of its possible negative effects brought about with the said pharmaceutical formulation. Strange incidence of femur fractures, esophageal cancer and osteonecrosis of the jaw are some of the side-effects reported by injured patients. Fortunately, there are safer alternatives to Fosamax. In addition to diet and exercises, lifestyle changes may also be considered as a safe substitute for Fosamax. To be able to understand more about the safety issues of Fosamax, you may refer at .

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Dec 28, 2012
There are a lot of drugs that may substitute Fosamax, however, it is best to seek for the advice of your doctor if you are planning to switch to a different medication.
Susan in Marlin TX

Belton, TX

#13 Jun 11, 2013
I am 72, have had no health problems, and take NO prescriptions - however when I went for my annual Physical Exam last month, my Dr. says I need to take Fosamax as my bones are thinning. I am NOT taking RXs now, and I do not intend to start, when I am certain there is at least one natural alternative!
What kind of Calcium and Vit. D should I take and what dosage? Thanks to all who contribute here, God bless you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Osteoporosis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any one on Prolia? (Feb '11) Mar 16 pcartwright 181
News Summit Biosciences to expand in Lexington (Dec '09) Feb '18 Cra Zee 2
I cured my osteoporosis in a year . Feb '18 applehead 1
horseback riding (Sep '07) Jan '18 Shelby 19
News Hospital health seminar to focus on osteoporosi... (Sep '08) Nov '17 public transit 2 ... 6
Study #1 High Acceleration Side Alternating Who... (Sep '17) Sep '17 WBVTherapy 1
Osteoporosis & High Acceleration Side Alternati... (Sep '17) Sep '17 WBVTherapy 2