Orthodontist Treatment Plans

Orthodontist Treatment Plans

Posted in the Orthodontics Forum

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#1 Mar 21, 2012
I have seen 4 orthodontists so far and am frustrated. I am 58, wore braces in my early 20's to straighten teeth and correct my overbite. I did not wear my retainer after the 24 mos. treatment because my orthodontist only issued full mouth retainers which were disgusting and made me gag or feel like I couldn't breath. When I asked for a different type he said that was the type he used. I developed a space between my two front teeth about 7 years later and had it bonded but it opened again. I had braces put on the 4 front teeth, closed the space, and had the teeth on either side veneered wide enough to not allow front teeth to open again. I have never liked the veneers because they are too wide. Only one of the ortho's I saw said he could correct my overbite with braces and the other 3 said it would be complicated and costly and I should invest in veneers instead. I don't want 6 (or 8 or 10) veneers on my top front teeth if I can have the overbite corrected with braces. I know the two veneers will need to be removed because space is needed to allow movement on top, and I have a bridge on bottom that needs to be removed during treatment and a temporary placed instead. I know at the end of treatment I will have to replace the two top veneers but at least they will be smaller, and I will replace the bridge with an implant. I am fine with all of this and think this would less expensive than a mouthful of veneers but 3 of the ortho's act like I'm crazy. What is wrong with trying your best to keep your own teeth for as long as possible? Veneers won't correct my overbite and I don't want my teeth damaged in the process. What am I missing here?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orthodontics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
afraid of having TMJ and just got elastics Nov 25 randomusernamejus... 1
How does bite plate work??? (Jan '08) Nov 25 Brandi Mulford 166
Loose braces spring! Nov 24 Anonymous 1
News Gentle Teeth Announces Reliable Yet Cost-Effect... Nov 20 richardlawson1489 2
What are the ways to get an impacted canine too... (Jun '13) Nov 16 maddiee 14
Orthodontics in Turkey - Türkiye'de Ortodonti (May '13) Nov 10 soydan 6
Not wore my after retainer in about 5 months wh... Nov 9 Reecey333 1
Didnt wear my retainer ... what now? (Mar '08) Oct '15 Anakennedy 535
More from around the web