Can tongue thrusting be cured in adults?

Can tongue thrusting be cured in adults?

Posted in the Orthodontics Forum

tjlaw

Edinburgh, UK

#1 May 9, 2011
Hi, I am 32 years old and am pretty sure I have tongue thrust. The natural resting position of my tongue is on my two front teeth and I have an open bite with the front teeth protruding. My lips are constantly cracked and chapped. I wore a brace as a child which seemed to do the trick, but when I took it off the teeth pushed out again. Conscious of my appearance, at the age of 18 I had crowns fitted on my two front teeth which brought them together, but after a year or so, they had come apart again. I have since had two further set of crowns fitted, and having spent thousands of pounds, I am no better off than when I started.
I am very self conscious about the appearance of my teeth and would like to get it sorted out for good. There is a lot of stuff about curing tongue thrusting in children on the net, but I'm not sure if this could be done in adults. If I could train the tongue to rest in its correct position, would the teeth automatically fall back into place or would I need to wear a brace? Thanks for your help
nuss

Jacksonville, FL

#2 May 10, 2011
hello,
for sure you need barces with appliance called tongue spurs that train your tongue to be away from your teeth.
Lynn

Gastonia, NC

#3 Jun 27, 2012
I am 64 and believe I have tongue thrust. Can this be related to stress and migraine headaches?
dr babueaden

Trivandrum, India

#4 Dec 18, 2012
you requires appliance therapy and psychological approach
100%sure u will be free from this habit

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orthodontics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need help getting started please! 1 hr Tommy47 1
Gum Recession and Braces from Children/Teenagers Jul 17 idunnolol 1
Didnt wear my retainer ... what now? (Mar '08) Jul 17 Angela223 611
Retainers and work Jul 14 Anonymous 2
My dentist says my teeth are fine but I don't l... Jul 14 Lala 1
How does bite plate work??? (Jan '08) Jul 13 Inkybites 182
News Teddy Bear Cares Helps Provide Dental Care Jul 8 yasmine zazi 1
More from around the web