Lawsuit Settlements
Ricky

Fayetteville, NC

#41 Oct 12, 2007
Has anyone had any luck fighting a workman's comp case for MRSA?
mike petley

Beaverton, OR

#42 Oct 17, 2007
I was just diagnosed with mrsa last week.. I have been to 2 clinics and finally had to go to the emergency room for them to figure it out. I had surgurey on my hand a few months ago and can only assume thats where i got it from... Is there anyone else in the Corvallis, Albany , Oregon area who has been diagnosed lately????Please contact me with any info that might be helpful.....Surgury was for a work comp injury so wondering were to go from [email protected] thanks Mike
CLAY SIMPSON

Winter Park, FL

#43 Oct 21, 2007
If you or anyone you know has had a lawsuite rewarding MRSA. Please e-mail me. I contracted MRSA while in a nursing home. I was placed in a room with a gentleman who had MRSA. The floor nurse told me "don't worry about it". [email protected]
lostwithasoul

Parkville, MD

#44 Oct 22, 2007
I had a c-section on 10/30/2007. Within a day or two I was extreemly ill. Fever, and horrible pain at the incision site. I had to stay in the hospital for a week while on 3 different IV antibiotics. I come home and am weak and sick with flu like symptoms with severe pain in the abdomen. Afterreturning to the doctors many times over the next several months and them just saying.. its an infection I stopped going because all the they did was put my on antibiotics over and over even though they didn't help clear any symptoms. Now my daughter has been sick since she was born. I breast feed for the first week or so.
She is sickly weighed 6 lb 9 ozs at birth and is now 20 lbs at almost a year old. She was in the hospital last week and today was seen at her new pediatricians office and he said she has MRSA on her had where the IV was. He drained it and cultured it. But she was seen today due to the fact that her UA was neg but the cultures grew mix flora. and he wanted to retest her. She has has fevers every couple of days since she was born to various degrees. Could she have contracted MRSA from my breast milk? Is there a lawyer I can contact in the Maryland area that could help us? If anyone has any suggestions please email me at [email protected]
thanks
George Conte

Fort Wayne, IN

#45 Oct 25, 2007
On Nov 1,2002, I had my left hip replaced and had no problem with infection. On Sept. 19,2003, I had both klnees replaced with no infetcion. On Dec.7,2004 I had lower back surgery at a different hospital. That is whenMy two years of hell began. I was in so much pain which I thought was from the operation, I called my doctor who advised me to get readmitted to the hospital as soon as I could. I went back into the same hospital on Jan. 6,2005. My back was cut open again to flush out he infection. That evening the doctor came in and advised me I had MRSA.Not knowing how serious this was I took the news calmly. But The the next day a nurse came into the room and said I was to get a pic line in my vain so antibiotics could be self administered at home. I sel infused vancomycin every day for six weeks. I thought this would be the end. About two weeks after going off the vancomycin, I awoke in the middle of the night with such sever pain that I couldnt walk. I was taken to an emergency room, but they could,nt find anything wrong. I did'nt think to tell them about the MRSA not knowing that this may be the cause of my sever pain. They gave me pain killers and sent me home. Two days later I was back in the emergency room still with sever oain. This time I had called my doctor who had done my hip & knee replacements. I told him of the MRSA. He immediately took me into surgery to cut and drain my knee and hip. Both had been taken over by the MRSA infetcion. OnJuly29,2005 I was back in surgery to have my right knee removed and spacers with antobiotic wer installed in place of the knee. I could not walk and had a brace on my leg for 11 weeks. After this time I was back in surgery again to have tyhe spacers removed and the knee replaced again. I was sent for therapy and lo and behold all the staples were pulled out . I was back in surgery again to have stiches installed.This took care of 2005.
In February 2006, my left hip came loose and i was taken back to surgery to have a new hip installed. I knew now that the MRSA infection attacks the material the holds the metal in the bone.During 2006 I was back in surgery four more times to have my hip cut open to try and cure the MRSA. In all this time I was on the pic line six time. After the last operation in Seotember 2006, they wanted to put me on the pic line again. I refused. I was then given a medication called ZYVOX, which comes ion at $75.00 a pill I was on that for three months and finally the infect subsided. I live day to day not knowing when the MRSA will attack again, for it never leaves your body but stays dormant ready to attack again.
Larry63

United States

#46 Oct 31, 2007
I was employed at a local YMCA .Prior to a hospital stay in which a physician told me I had no choice in whether I stayed or not I was a healthy 42 yr. old man who had sole custody of my two young sons . After my 7 days of intensive IV treatments (3 were in the ER)I came out weakened to the point I really didnt know what had hit me ...I was responsible for cleaning the steam room and locker areas at the facility and have had slight to moderate respitory problems and joint aches , which I didnt have prior to all this either . When returning to work the CEO of our YMCA had taken me aside and asked me if I intended to file a lawsuit ??? couldnt figure out why I was asked that but now I have an idea .....I have gone down hill in my health in the past year and dont really know where to start as far as to whether or not to file a suit against the facility...I have been told I cant file against the Y itself but its insurance carrier.....I had had a good working relationship and many friends there but have since left there as a place of employment. I too worry about my sons health as I was as I said a single dad at the time....And I married in Feb.o7 and fear that my wife who was in remission from Non hodgins lymphoma cancer may be in health jeopardy now from having been intimate etc since we have married.Send me some input....at [email protected]
ObGyn Doctor in Suffolk

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#47 Nov 1, 2007
Just to be clear, all of you want to sue the hospital because you contracted MRSA while there as a patient?
Stuff happens in hospitals. The patients there have to go somewhere for treatment. You are asking for the impossible.

Would a solution for you be to treat every patient with Vanco with the first onset of symptoms prior to culture results?

Without proven NEGLIGENCE, i.e. not ordering tests, not reading tests, refusing to give medication, none of you have lawsuits.
BAD stuff happens, its not a perfect world.
Next time you have a medical problem do all of us a favor. Join a group and treat yourselves. Don't go into a hospital, otherwise people who come after you have arrived will catch what you brought in WITH YOU!
ObGyn Doctor in Suffolk

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#48 Nov 1, 2007
Larry63 wrote:
I was employed at a local YMCA .Prior to a hospital stay in which a physician told me I had no choice in whether I stayed or not I was a healthy 42 yr. old man who had sole custody of my two young sons . After my 7 days of intensive IV treatments (3 were in the ER)I came out weakened to the point I really didnt know what had hit me ...I was responsible for cleaning the steam room and locker areas at the facility and have had slight to moderate respitory problems and joint aches , which I didnt have prior to all this either . When returning to work the CEO of our YMCA had taken me aside and asked me if I intended to file a lawsuit ??? couldnt figure out why I was asked that but now I have an idea .....I have gone down hill in my health in the past year and dont really know where to start as far as to whether or not to file a suit against the facility...I have been told I cant file against the Y itself but its insurance carrier.....I had had a good working relationship and many friends there but have since left there as a place of employment. I too worry about my sons health as I was as I said a single dad at the time....And I married in Feb.o7 and fear that my wife who was in remission from Non hodgins lymphoma cancer may be in health jeopardy now from having been intimate etc since we have married.Send me some input....at [email protected]
You always have a choice to refuse medical care. It is not a jail.
ObGyn Doctor in Suffolk

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#49 Nov 1, 2007
George Conte wrote:
On Nov 1,2002, I had my left hip replaced and had no problem with infection. On Sept. 19,2003, I had both klnees replaced with no infetcion. On Dec.7,2004 I had lower back surgery at a different hospital. That is whenMy two years of hell began. I was in so much pain which I thought was from the operation, I called my doctor who advised me to get readmitted to the hospital as soon as I could. I went back into the same hospital on Jan. 6,2005. My back was cut open again to flush out he infection. That evening the doctor came in and advised me I had MRSA.Not knowing how serious this was I took the news calmly. But The the next day a nurse came into the room and said I was to get a pic line in my vain so antibiotics could be self administered at home. I sel infused vancomycin every day for six weeks. I thought this would be the end. About two weeks after going off the vancomycin, I awoke in the middle of the night with such sever pain that I couldnt walk. I was taken to an emergency room, but they could,nt find anything wrong. I did'nt think to tell them about the MRSA not knowing that this may be the cause of my sever pain. They gave me pain killers and sent me home. Two days later I was back in the emergency room still with sever oain. This time I had called my doctor who had done my hip & knee replacements. I told him of the MRSA. He immediately took me into surgery to cut and drain my knee and hip. Both had been taken over by the MRSA infetcion. OnJuly29,2005 I was back in surgery to have my right knee removed and spacers with antobiotic wer installed in place of the knee. I could not walk and had a brace on my leg for 11 weeks. After this time I was back in surgery again to have tyhe spacers removed and the knee replaced again. I was sent for therapy and lo and behold all the staples were pulled out . I was back in surgery again to have stiches installed.This took care of 2005.
In February 2006, my left hip came loose and i was taken back to surgery to have a new hip installed. I knew now that the MRSA infection attacks the material the holds the metal in the bone.During 2006 I was back in surgery four more times to have my hip cut open to try and cure the MRSA. In all this time I was on the pic line six time. After the last operation in Seotember 2006, they wanted to put me on the pic line again. I refused. I was then given a medication called ZYVOX, which comes ion at $75.00 a pill I was on that for three months and finally the infect subsided. I live day to day not knowing when the MRSA will attack again, for it never leaves your body but stays dormant ready to attack again.
And all of this is a reason to sue the doctor? Did he/she refuse to operate on you?
ObGyn Doctor in Suffolk

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#50 Nov 1, 2007
lostwithasoul wrote:
I had a c-section on 10/30/2007. Within a day or two I was extreemly ill. Fever, and horrible pain at the incision site. I had to stay in the hospital for a week while on 3 different IV antibiotics. I come home and am weak and sick with flu like symptoms with severe pain in the abdomen. Afterreturning to the doctors many times over the next several months and them just saying.. its an infection I stopped going because all the they did was put my on antibiotics over and over even though they didn't help clear any symptoms. Now my daughter has been sick since she was born. I breast feed for the first week or so.
She is sickly weighed 6 lb 9 ozs at birth and is now 20 lbs at almost a year old. She was in the hospital last week and today was seen at her new pediatricians office and he said she has MRSA on her had where the IV was. He drained it and cultured it. But she was seen today due to the fact that her UA was neg but the cultures grew mix flora. and he wanted to retest her. She has has fevers every couple of days since she was born to various degrees. Could she have contracted MRSA from my breast milk? Is there a lawyer I can contact in the Maryland area that could help us? If anyone has any suggestions please email me at [email protected]
thanks
Figures.....Dunkalk......but I'm a bit biased, I trained at Hopkins. I saw your type many a day. Looking for that windfall.

As you said, you were on antibiotics. Your MRSA, IF you had it, didn't clear. I guess it is the doctor's fault that it didn't clear?

You had bad stuff happen to you. It happens all the time.

A lawyer or lawsuit won't save you. You will probably spend the money on cigarettes.

Hope your daughter gets better.
ObGyn Doctor in Suffolk

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#51 Nov 1, 2007
lostwithasoul wrote:
I had a c-section on 10/30/2007.......... Is there a lawyer I can contact in the Maryland area that could help us? If anyone has any suggestions please email me at [email protected]
thanks
Wow, a c-section on 10/30/2007. Message posted on 10/22/2007. Someone please send this clown in Dundalk an email and tell her how to read a calendar. But then again, maybe not. If she learns to read she will have to move.
Larry63

United States

#52 Nov 1, 2007
hey doc ....who asked you for your opinion ???if you took the time to read all of these you would have seen i said nothing in relation to suing a hospital, OK??
I said I believed I was infected at my place of employment ...Dickhead so read the english printed and dont quess that all want to sue your Mal practice insurance.......
justjill610

New York, NY

#53 Nov 8, 2007
For the OBgyn Doctor. First I would like to say that most people are not interested in suing the doctors. However, if you knew how to read you might have picked that up. It is the hospitals that most of us have issues with NOT the doctors. I am not sure how you got to be a doctor anyway with a bedside manner like that, absolutely horrible. As a sufferer of this terrible infection, along with a bacterial blood infection that I contracted after a DaVinci hysterectomy, I know all to well what these people here speak of. Shame on you for making this your whipping post. Many of our lives have been forever altered because of this terrible infection that could so easily be controlled in the hospitals, many of us have lost loved ones, and then there are the doctors out there like you that simply haven't a clue. Shame on you. You know what they say about karma....don't you?
Vic

San Diego, CA

#54 Nov 11, 2007
Hey Everyone,

I just ready Sherry's (Meridian, MS) MRSA case about her father with the blood-infected MRSA and he has an implanted defibrillator. My father had the exact same condition except he did not survive. Are there any real, formidable precendents to purse these hospital acquired MRSA deaths?
Brian

Pittsburgh, PA

#55 Nov 17, 2007
Here's what I'm going through: I went into the hospital on Oct. 15th for hernia surgery. They used mesh for the repair. I had two drain tubes inserted after the surgery. A resident doctor came in to look at my incision. As he was cutting my bandages away he accidentally cut into one of the drain tubes, close to where it entered the skin.

He then put a small piece of tape around it to try to stop it from leaking. It didn't work. When one of my doctors came in later, he had them take both drain tubes out.

Went home on Oct. 19th and felt ok. The second week home I became very ill with fever, chills, a major increase in pain, and lots of swelling near the incision. Went back to see the surgeon and she re-admitted me on the spot, telling me that I probably had an abcess.

In the hospital, they did put me on some type of IV antibiotic. The next day I had a CT scan. They told me that there was a lot of fluid in the surgical cavity. The day after that they took me down to the Ultrasound Department and inserted a drain tube that drains into a plastic bag. They drained 250cc while they were in there. They took a culture also.

Two days after that, a doctor came in and stated that they had lost my culture and that they needed to take a second one. He said they were going to send me home with Amoxycillin and would call me if they need to change the medication once the second culture came back. So home I went.
Here's what really upset me: 14 days later, I went to see the doctor for my routine follow up visit. She came in the room to ask me how I felt, then left the room. A few minutes later she came back in and said these exact words: "I just went and looked up your culture and you know that MRSA that has been in the newspapers? That's what it came back as."

My wife and I were both stunned and didn't know what to say. The doctor said that she was changing my antibiotic to Bactrim and sent me home.

Here I sit at home now. Still have the drain tube in and it's still draining yellow gunk. Now that I had time for it to sink in, I am not happy about this at all. I have a wife and 16 Y.O. daughter who;if they don't have it colonized now would be a miracle. I also have longer away from work.

For over two weeks at home I had no idea that it could be or was MRSA. That wouldn't have even crossed my mind. During those two weeks, of course I changed lots of bandages, touched everything in the house and had intimate relations with my wife.

Myself, my wife and daughter (though they don't have it yet) will probably now have this for life.

I do love my doctors, but I feel that there were a few instances of negligence. The first being when the resident doctor accidentally cut a hole in my post-surgery drain tube, which they then had to remove. The next instance was that they lost my culture and then sent me home without knowing what the infection was, stating that they would let me know if they needed to change my antibiotic after the second culture came back. They never called me!

The worst instance of negligence was the fact that I sat at home for two weeks on the wrong antibiotic, probably spreading MRSA all over the house. They had to have had the results of the second culture for two weeks and didn't bother to look at the results until I came in for a routine follow-up two weeks after the culture was taken.
I would think that they would have kept me in the hospital until the second culture results came back just in case it was HA-MRSA.

I am in no way shape or form an ambulance chaser. But this is not just an "oops, we overlooked something" error. This is for life. And on top of it all, my innocent wife and daughter stand a good chance of contracting it.

I know this post is long and thanks to anyone taking the time to read all of it. What do you think? Do I have any type of recourse?

Thank you
Brian
john sachwartz

Wisconsin Rapids, WI

#57 Dec 9, 2007
3 to 4 years ago i went into the hospital im West Bend ,WI for surgery to have a bowel rection done due to diverticulitis,,I believe at that hospital i contracted what i believe to be mrsa. Aprox. two to three days after surgery my wound began to swell and tighten badly around the surgical staples so bad when removed the wound tore open and began to secrete. I was never tested for mrsa ,,I was told (i think its just a skin infection and nothing to worrie about)Sent home with my wound left open and packed with gauze.
My wife at the time was a LPN and was told she cold handle the dressing changeing and monitoring at home. Well the infection finally went away after three or four weeks ,,,now two to three years later i just had shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff, and torn bicep tendon and three weeks later looks like ive got my first flare up of MRSA on the wound site..

My qeustion is,,has anyone ever tried to file a lawsuit this late in the game? And if so how successful were you?
john schwartz

Wisconsin Rapids, WI

#58 Dec 9, 2007
ObGyn Doctor in Suffolk wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, a c-section on 10/30/2007. Message posted on 10/22/2007. Someone please send this clown in Dundalk an email and tell her how to read a calendar. But then again, maybe not. If she learns to read she will have to move.
Boy,,You got some bed side manner doc?
Must have failed that part in medical school hey?
Jenny

AOL

#59 Dec 10, 2007
my son has had it for 3 months he is 20 months old and its not going away...his old pediatrician brushed it off and the new Dr diagnosed him, but he is not improving!

[email protected]
pgnet

Spartanburg, SC

#60 Dec 21, 2007
my wife also contracted mrsa in the hospital. i know stuff happens in hospitals. she was nose swabbed on the way in and left with a serious infection. and a gaping wound because of the mrsa. there are other factors as well. I want an attorney.
BJB

Los Angeles, CA

#61 Dec 22, 2007
I contracted hospital acquired MRSA in ER and was hospitalized 11 days because of it. My research suggests that their is a culture of silence regarding this problem, that the CDC and NIH are not making available accurate, complete and up to date data for the public (we have a right to know!). Doctors, the American Medical Association and large medical conglomerates including insurance companies and health care facilities have a vested interest in not being staightforward with victims of MRSA, particularly those with hospital acquired MRSA. We need to organize. The internet can help us do that because it seems even most attorneys will not take these cases. This website is probably monitored by those who would disrupt our efforts to protect ourselves and hold those responsible accountable. We need a website, community activists, direct communication with state insurance commissioners who do not get $ under the table to suppress any outcry about this problem, and we need to communicate with our state representitives and Congresspeople relentlessly. We also need to do research and discuss who will take on different areas of research at Government entities, University and other Research facilities, how the problem is being handled in England, we need an attorney who perhaps has been exposed and attorneys in each state who will take on this serious problem. We cannot just vent our anguish. We have to take action and organize.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

MRSA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hard lump remains after MRSA wound healed Sep 17 LilRed32 1
News SE school district mulls buses parked at pig farm (Jul '09) Sep 14 Missy 559
News Number of MRSA cases in pets increasing - (Oct '07) Sep 10 Tonya 7
Getting MRSA Boils Open (Dec '12) Sep 6 Lisa 93
How To Destroy A MRSA Boil (Nov '10) Aug 31 D0ntkn0wbetter 21
MRSA infections (Jan '06) Aug '17 Mee 256
I Cured my MRSA CYST, please read this very sim... (Jan '10) Jul '17 Dontusehoney 41
More from around the web