Dr Goadsby
Amy

Palo Alto, CA

#1 May 6, 2010
Has anyone been treated by Dr Peter Goadsby currently at ucsf. I am 52, migraines since adolescence, tried everything, now on opiates, worried about tolerance and would like to know more about other severe migraine sufferers who have seen Dr. Goadsby.

my home email is [email protected]
please help
suzanne

San Rafael, CA

#2 Jan 13, 2011
To it may concern, i feel that, after i had a meeting with Dr.Goadsby for my daughter that fell and got a concussion. and started to have very bad headaches..after nine months,waited four months to get appt with Dr.Goadsby. I found him to be Condescending NARCISSUS.He is not god and i would never go back....I wanted and needed answers but no i did not get them...If you need a good DR go to MARIN NEUROPSYCHOLOGY CENTER AND YOU WILL GET ANSWERS.....GOOD LUCK
simon

Cecil Hills, Australia

#3 Jul 26, 2011
I was treated by Prof Goadsby years ago in NSW Australia before he went to Europe and the US. I had seen 3 neurologists before seeing him and five since.
He is not god- and I think he would be the first person to admit this. He was not condescending, unlike many others. He was the best neurologist I have seen in respect to Migraines.
For many of us there are, sadly, no quick fixes.
sarah

Santa Rosa, CA

#4 Jan 30, 2012
having recently waited 3 months to get an appointment here after lack of follow through from The Mayo Clinic to which i traveled 3 states to be. The care i received at the Mayo clinic was the most aggressive I have EVER gotten, in the 14 years i have now been battling these migraines.

If you suffer from migraines, you are the only one who can understand the frustrating cycle i've lived my life in. I wake up in fear everyday of my life...open my eyes, and pray not to feel the throbbing pain in my head. On the worst of them, the attacks wake me with nausea.

I'm 29 years old, I have a life, and I'm constantly clinging for some hope that my life can show some glimmer without migraines.

After my much anticipated appointment with Dr. Goadsby and his Fellow Doctor, I left UCSF 3 hours later, 2 of which i sat with these two discussing my lack of life and what to do...

I left with hope. Something i so desperately needed. He gave me a plan of action, something i needed more than anything.

I am still clinging to that hope, but it has been now 3 weeks, and I have not been able to confirm ANY of the 3 referral appointments for what he suggested. The office team is kind as can be, but that is not curing the frustration knowing that something can be done, and nothing is being done.

For now, I BELIEVE in all the work he is doing, BELIEVE he can help, just praying that all of the rules and regulations of UCSF will allow that to happen.

waiting, waiting, waiting, and clinging to hope-
Abby

San Leandro, CA

#5 May 11, 2012
I just had an appointment with Dr. Goadsby this afternoon. He was the most condescending arrogant doctor that I have ever seen. I contemplated getting up mid-appointment and walking out. I wouldn't take my dog to see him. There is no reason for a physician to treat patients as he did with me today. Did I receive help? No. I left feeling sorry for anyone that goes to see him as well as sorry for anyone that works with him.
Siobhan O

Pacifica, CA

#6 Aug 17, 2012
My mom is the reason I got to know Dr. Goadsby. She has had one big long migraine everyday since January 2010. Before we met him we had Kaiser and that was hell. The only God related thing I can say about Dr. Goadsby is that he is a Godsent! I disagree with the negative comments above. You have to "get him", understand his dry humor and that he's quick and to the point. I have always felt that he genuinely wants to help my mom and truly believe in him. I believe he is trying his best and I would hate to ever lose him as her doctor.
Stephanie

United States

#7 Apr 23, 2013
Im currently at the UCSF headache clinic in the hospital detoxing off opiates and starting a new med. I.love Dr Goadsby. I have had migraines for 9 years now that resulted in me taking opiates to cure my migraine. Not an easy journey, but I wouldn't be here if I.didn't believe in him. And I.love the staff here. 10 days is a very very long time to be away from family, but ill do anything right now to get rid.of this daily migraine and have my life back. Dr Goadsby knows EXACTLY what hes doing, and it feels great to be in the best hands possible.
Bee

United States

#8 Apr 27, 2013
Stephanie, could you tell me more about your time in for the ten days. I am supposed to do it there also and am very scared....and uncertain. I also dont sit around well.... Im always out doing something but after having these migrains for 30+ yrs I will do what it takes. Just hoping for more info. Thanks
Angela from England

Wisbech, UK

#9 May 26, 2013
Hi, I saw Peter Goadsby about 12 years ago when he worked at the National Hospital for Neurology, Queen Square, London. He is the best neurologist I have ever seen. I have suffered from migraines with aura since I was 12 (I am now 55) and found your post while searching for him online as I was hoping to be able to contact him about new problems I have with my migraines, possibly persistent migraine aura.

I was sorry to hear that he has left the UK, but your loss is our gain - he is extremely knowledgeable and very easy to talk to and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.
Jeanne

San Rafael, CA

#10 Oct 29, 2013
Stephanie wrote:
Im currently at the UCSF headache clinic in the hospital detoxing off opiates and starting a new med. I.love Dr Goadsby. I have had migraines for 9 years now that resulted in me taking opiates to cure my migraine. Not an easy journey, but I wouldn't be here if I.didn't believe in him. And I.love the staff here. 10 days is a very very long time to be away from family, but ill do anything right now to get rid.of this daily migraine and have my life back. Dr Goadsby knows EXACTLY what hes doing, and it feels great to be in the best hands possible.
Would like to know how you are doing after being discharged from the hospital? My daughter is considering using Dr. Goadsby's hospital detox protocol but is very concerned about pain management after being discharged. Her migraines started at 12 years old and have continued now over 20 years. Having more feedback about this program would be most helpful.
Steffemz

Horsham, UK

#11 Feb 6, 2016
I have seen Proff Goadsby a couple of times now at Kings College Hospital. Docs and 3 neurologists thought my migraines were Temporal Artritis (am 49) so technically too young! Anyway had the biopsy and it came back negative, I was on 90mg Predisone steroids which turned my headaches off for 5 months but the side effects are horrific! Have weaned down to 35mg but my face is massive, pains in joints, hair dropping out, depression and what's worse is my headaches are coming back with an attack a couple of weeks ago of paralytic migraine. Never had that before and it was terrifying as it mimics a stroke.
Professor Goadsby is my last hope for a normal life. I found him very pleasant and he has given me hope, saying I'm not unique and he can help me.
His sense of humour is very dry, so is mine, so we hit it off.
I'm being admitted on 29th Feb to "cold turkey" off the steroids and him to do something else that will hopefully, as he says, turn my migraines off.
I'm scared cos the effects of cold turkey are apparently really bad but, to be honest I'm that Ill and so much pain, an 8 day admission and 3 weeks home recovery..... I can't wait and see light at the end of the tunnel.
Fingers crossed!!
Dangermouse

London, UK

#12 Feb 7, 2016
Steffmez when did get an appt with the professor? Did it take long? I've been waiting a month and nothing!
Steffemz

Horsham, UK

#13 Feb 14, 2016
Dangermouse wrote:
Steffmez when did get an appt with the professor? Did it take long? I've been waiting a month and nothing!
Hi Dangermouse
It took me a couple of months AND that was private! The admission I've had to chase up. He is very quick at replying but the general admin seems slow and disjointed

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Migraine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Medicines May '17 Txbrachel 1
News Topamax Reduces Number Of Monthly Migraine Days... (Aug '06) Apr '17 jesposito 257
Migraine Miracle!!!! True Story (Feb '09) Mar '17 Migrainesofhouston 27
Migraine pain (Oct '15) Mar '17 Migrainesofhouston 3
Symptom Tracking App (Sep '16) Sep '16 jessb417 1
Migraines trigger-tea?? (Apr '07) Sep '16 cece 64
Migraine forecast app reduced my wife's migrain... (Aug '16) Aug '16 sibl 1
More from around the web