Lyme and Travel Memoir
Nick Vittas

Austin, TX

#1 Feb 1, 2013
I just wanted to let you know that my Lyme and Travel memoir, AMERICAN BREAD: CHRONIC LYME DISEASE AND THE TAO OF THE OPEN ROAD, has recently been published. I want to share my experience with the disease. The book chronicles my 14 year,(and counting), battle with Lyme disease and the cross country adventures these battles inspired during times I was well enough to travel. It's one half travel memoir, one half chronic illness memoir. I wanted to write a book that raised Lyme disease awareness and also inspired those with chronic Lyme to make the best of a really tough situation. My main symptoms are chronic pain and fatigue and the book offers advice to the chronically ill on how to deal with these symptoms during a flare up and still live a fulfilling life. I share my take on how Taoist and Zen philosophies helped me maintain a sense of equanimity during the frequent ups and downs associated with the disease. It's the kind of book I would have loved to run into 14 years ago because it could have saved me some heart ache along the way.
My story started in 1998 when chronic pain began to spread throughout my body. I was forced to drop out of college, move back into my parents house and begin down a long procession of doctors. Three years later I was correctly diagnosed with Lyme disease, but the journey had just begun. Over the course of the next decade I experienced remarkable recoveries and heartbreaking setbacks, all of which helped shape the person I am today. Even though I am trying to rid myself of Lyme, I am aware that it has forced me to evolve and grow as a person, and for that I am grateful. I wouldn't be the person I am today without the disease. This is one of the main themes of the book.
Dispersed between each chapter about Lyme is a chapter from the cross-country trips I took around North America during times when I was well enough to travel. Early on in my illness a great wanderlust was born in me, and when I was well enough to travel, I did so with a passion. I had the good fortune of connecting with several captivating characters, one of the most engaging being an eccentric Mexican nicknamed Lobo. Lobo is larger than life and drunk on it as well. Every moment with Lobo is fast paced and charged with intensity, two things I craved after years of illness and confinement. I experienced many obstacles and unexpected events during my travels, but met them all with an equanimity that was cultivated from years of searching for meaning while coping with chronic illness. Lyme disease not only pushed me out onto the road, but prepared me for it as well.
Thanks
Nick Vittas
If this sounds interesting to you please order a copy from one of the links below or from your local bookstore
Paperback:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Bread-Chronic-...
kindle version:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Bread-Chronic-...
pAnonymous

Lipno, Poland

#2 Feb 26, 2015
#3.1/#3.95B in book. The.Luciferian.Doctrine (i.e. The.Most.Important.Knowledge.Y ou.would.Ever.Read.Implement.a nd.Live.up.to.Forever) might be the answer to your problems [100% Lyme annihilation, confirmed].dsd1

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lyme Disease Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Halton Hills mayor Bonette: Thanking volunteers... Jul 23 elevator excuse eh 7
News Doctor In Trouble for Lyme Disease Treatment (Jun '06) Jul 14 Kris in Winston 70
News Number of Lyme disease cases more than triples ... Jun 28 9403zoe 1
News Lone Star tick May '16 lots ticked off 1
Synergy Protocol (May '14) Apr '16 Pit 427
surivor Apr '16 Happy Hiker 1
News Doctors Think Lyme Disease Can Be Caught in N.C. (Oct '09) Apr '16 anitalhersman 44
More from around the web