Utah health officials investigate pos...

Utah health officials investigate possible Lyme disease outbrea...

There are 6 comments on the Fox13Now story from Mar 28, 2010, titled Utah health officials investigate possible Lyme disease outbrea.... In it, Fox13Now reports that:

Utah health officials are taking a closer look at a possible Lyme disease outbreak after a few people complained of Lyme disease symptoms in Lehi.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox13Now.

Bev Feldman

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Mar 29, 2010
Sorry (but not surprised) to hear of a possible Lyme outbreak in Lehi. The gentleman who spoke of the IGM tests said that they can produce false positives. This is true. But what is also true is that more often they produce false negatives! This is of GREAT concern; it happened to my 13 year old daughter -- a negative IGM test -- and then it was nine months of misdiagnoses... chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, arthritis, depression, etc. All wrong! We kept pressing for a diagnosis that fit ALL of her symptoms, and it was Lyme. Like everyone else, we did not know that the blood tests are not medically efficacious. It is a heartbreaking and expensive crack to fall through. A great place to learn about Lyme is www.lymedisease.org . My Lyme site is www.lymesucks.org .
Phyllis Mervine

United States

#2 Mar 31, 2010
Excuse me but the test is called an ELISA (it may be IgM or IgG) and the real concern is its lack of sensitivity, not false positives. Over half the people with Lyme disease test negative on this test.

CALDA recommends using a test called western blot from a Medicare- and CLIA-approved lab that reports ALL the bands. For more information, visit www.lymedisease.org
Linda Ottley

Layton, UT

#3 Mar 31, 2010
I am happy to see someone finally bringing attention to Lyme disease in Utah. I am also a Utah resident, living in Highland, with Lyme disease.
Silvermaran

United States

#4 Apr 1, 2010
Ignorance is bliss. Ask all the hundreds of thousands who also had negative tests who later found a tick specific lab who knows how to test find them what was and in some instances still is because the tests are so bad. If you have any bands on a Western Blot they should not be dismissed. And all rashes should be treated no matter what.....
Miles

Sanford, NC

#5 Apr 6, 2010
Oh please, 7 to 8 cases a year? Lyme disease is a very complex illness and it exist anywhere there are deer! It simply is not diagnosed is why the counts are so low. The standard tests are not very good either. Get the facts at the Lyme Disease Research Database.
Suzanne Arthur

Sanford, NC

#7 Apr 10, 2010
Thank you for the article on Lyme. A lot of people think it just causes flu-like symptoms and arthritis, but it can be devastating if it isn't detected and treated while it is in the early stages.

A new DNA test is being used now in Milford, CT. It eliminates the false positives common with the traditional tests for Lyme.

You can listen to an interview with the doctor who created it at http://www.lyme-disease-research-database.com...

Thanks again for helping to raise awareness of the possibility of Lyme disease.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lyme Disease Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cysts w/ lyme Aug 9 b_berry77 1
Vitamin D Intolerance (Jan '11) Aug 2 NikkiZ 175
News Lyme Disease Cases Growing in Minnesota Jun '17 Kel 2
Lyme in mosquitoes (Jul '07) May '17 CentralCaliGal 10
News Tips for Protecting Your Family Against Bug Bites May '17 Skiddle 1
Support Group for Lyme Disease sufferers. May '17 Ted 1
News Splash pads are the place to be (Jul '13) Apr '17 lyme-crusade- 5
More from around the web