What is going on??
Posted in the Lyme Disease Forum
#1 Aug 7, 2012
Hello hello.. This is a little bbit long winded but I hope it makes sense!
In October of last year my little Westie managed to get a tick after enjoying a day in the woods, not realising what it was I picked it off...I took him to the vets the following day. I didn't see my regular vet but he assured me that it was fine and no anti biotics were required, but said to keep my eye on him and if the area gets infected to take him straight back. No infection and all was well..
A month later he developed a hacking cough, took him back as I thought it was kennel cough, it wasn't and was told he had a 'cold' vet put him on paracetamol. Cough didn't go away and he was still hacking so was put on anti biotics for 5 days.
He was still coughin but not as bad..
Then the sneezing started around February.. again took him to the vets and he said he had another cold?? Who am I to argue with a professional?? shortly after that he would walk and hold his front paw up as if it was hurting and he would almost skip to avoid walking on it, again a trip to the vet he told me he looked like arthritis, and he was put on anti inflamatory tabs. His limp seemed to get worse not better so kept him on the tablets. Then he seemed to have a problem with his mouth, he couldn't pick up food or keep it in his mouth and he would stick his tongue out all the time. vet didnt have a clue, and gave him a blood test that came back with possible addison disease. Hid limp, his eating were slowly getting worse and he then developed an ulcer on his eye, eye drops and anti biotics were next... I took him back a week later and it was then when he decided it was neurological and reffered me to a Neurologist, this was April. I went through the full history and the Neurologist seemed to think it was GME and to confirm this gave him a MRI and spinal tap. He was quite vaguem said there was no inflammation but diagnosed him with GME which destroyed me! he was started on a high aggressive course of Steroids I had him in the vet hospital the next day and they started him on a Chemo course, 48hours. He said that I should see a difference once the steroids kicked in and even more so after the chemo and although he didn't get any worse, he never got better either... Another 70 mile journey and another chemo course and again no change. Eyes worse, ulcers in both eyes so what with that and his little eyes I was just devestated watching my cheeky little munchkin being so lifeless.
4 months on and he is still on eye drops, the same dose of Steroids which is the highest dose he can be on and absolutely no change whatsoever.
Last week I forgot to give him his nightly steroids. I realised because they were the last 2 in the bottle and they were still there.. I was mortified but to my surprise his eyes looked much brighter and he could get in and out of the house with more ease and didn't stumble as much. I decided to give him just one steroid that morning instead of 2 and kept a watchful eye on him and I couldn't believe the change in him. It has been a week now without them and he is almost back to his old self apart from his eyes that are still dry, but I am still putting lubricated eye drops and some anti biotic type drop.
My question is.. does this sound like lymes disease? I understand that GME and Lymes disease are often confused but I just can't understand. If it is Lymes then what do I need to do? I am going to my vets tomorrow and I am going to ask him to test him for lymes but in the meantime I am petrified that he has not been on the correct medication.
Thank you so much for reading this.. I am sure I have missed loads out but I have got the most important bits in I think..
#2 Aug 9, 2012
Hi Amanda, I dont know how Lyme presents itself in dogs but I know how bad it is in humans cos ive had it for 16 years.
the limp could definitely be conected ( lyme causes really bad fatigue and in some arthritis ) as could the not being able to eat / sticking hs tongue out as this is neurological and Lyme can cause all sorts of problems here.
The wide variety of symptoms could imply Lyme because the diasese is multi systemic meaning it can affect all parts of the body at different times.
You have every right to demand a blood test for lyme . I would go for the whole range available as the tests are notoriously unreliable. The problem you may have is that because your dog has already been given a short course of antibiotics he may not test positive with the tests now.
If you can get your vet to agree to giving your dog a reasonably long course of antibiotics for your dog you may see a good improvement. however if he does this start your dog on the lowest dose and work your way up gradually because if its Lyme he will hurt like hell for several days.
As for long term steroids this is always avoided for humans with Lyme as the steroids suppress the immune system whch means the bacteria gets stronger and the body cant fight it.
Steroids are fine to give but only if antibitoics are given at the same time.
If your vet does not agree to the Lyme tests then find another vet asap. remember you are paying for this service so the vet should be agreeable to addressing your concerns.
Good luck , hope your best mate gets better.
For more information look on www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk
#3 Aug 9, 2012
Thank you so much for your reply. I feel dreadful for you having to cope with this as it sounds like a terrible disease.
You mentioned Lymes being multi systemic which is why my neurologist diagnosed GME but I am CONVINCED it isnt now and the more time that goes on the more furious I am getting to think 2 weeks ago I nearly made my final trip to the vet because he was so weak and I couldn't bear to see him so lifeless.
Your reply means a lot, and I am so greatful. I have spoken to my vet and he has said he will do a test but is looking into the test he needs to get the most accurate result. I have faith in my vet but not the neurologist who has had thousands of pounds out of me.
Once again thank you so much.
I will keep you posted
#4 Aug 10, 2012
Hi Amanda, there are loads of tests for Lyme bacteria. They all have thier downfall.
The following are regularly used
they are all usually done as blood tests initially so not too expensive and not unpleasant for your dog. PCR can be done on spinal fluid and urine etc.
The only issue is that the ELISA and WESTERN BLOT which are considered most accurate dont always give a positive result after antibiotics.
Tetracycline antibiotics abrogate the antibody production - tell your vet this he will understand.
IF your vets uses the tests and they come back negative try a different test.
I dont get NHS treatment because I fail the ELISA and Western Blot tests which the NHS use. This is because I was given antibiotics for acne prior to the tests. My main concern is because your dog has already had a short course of antibitics he may fail the ELISA / Western Blot. Dont give up get other tests done.
However my MELISA test was done by IGENIX in America ( the blood is flown out ) and that was VERY positive . I definitely get better with antibiotics.
None of the tests available are 100% accurate and that is the problem for patients like me.
If your vet thinks there is any chance of your dog being infected with Lyme then he must have antibiotics.
to be quite honest the proof is in the clinical outcome. The antibiotics for Lyme are cheap as chips. If your dog is given them for 3 - 4 weeks and he starts to get better then isnt that evidence enough??
If I was in your position I would ask my vet to allow me to try giving my dog Doxcycline . Doxycyline is safe and is used most commonly for Lyme disaese in both dogs and humans.
Keep in touch and let me know how you get on.
Fingers Crossed x
#5 Aug 14, 2012
Thanks again for your reply.
Bless you, it sounds like you have been through a lot!
I am aware of the problem that his test may not show up. My vet is doing a test that shows any presence of lymes, past and present, so the fact he has had antibiotics in the past shouldn't effect the results. My vet mentioned Doxcycline as the anti biotic he will use. My main concern now is that he has GME and not Lymes. I have built myself up so much I will be devestated, but that said if he does have GME he is obviously in remission and therefor coping well without meds. I get his results on Thursday so I will let you know and keep you posted!
How are you feeling at the moment? I hope you are feeling up beat!
Thank you for caring
Milton Keynes, UK
#6 Aug 15, 2012
Hi Amanda, I am fine but have been through the mill as you can tell.
I read everything I can on line trying to find hope of new treatments and tests for Lyme in the UK and elsewhere, which is how I came accross this Lyme forum.
Dont worry about me though I am a tough old bird
I just want your dog to be OK.
What is GME ive not heard of it?
It doesnt sound pleasant whatever it is. to be fair Lyme isnt brilliant news either but if caught eraly enough can be eradicated quite easily. Even late stage Lyme will respond to antibiotics you just have to keep on taking repeated courses of the damn things!!
I am sure your vet will find out whats wrong with your pooch but you have to keep going.
If the Lyme comes back negative and he gets worse have you considered taking him to one of the veterinary hospitals?
When my dog got a suspicous cancerous growth I rushed him down to Davies vets. these hopsital based vets are expensive but they are also damn good.
I hope all is well for your dog and do let me know the result of the test.
Fingers crossed for Thursday.
#7 Aug 15, 2012
Lovely to hear from you. I am pleased to hear you are a tough old bird!:) You sure need to be!
GME or Granulomatous Meningoencephalomyelitis (I had to copy that bit! Is a disease of the spinal cord and brain. The symptoms are very simular, and like I mentioned in a previous post he was showing signs of multi systemic symptoms, lameness, numb around his mouth etc.. which lead my vet to refer him to a veterinary hospital who diagnosed GME. The only present symptoms to GME are the lameness and paralysis around his mouth but I took faith in the neurologist. If he does have Lymes and I hope he does I will stick with my vet, as he did initially mention lymes but because lymes and gme are both simular and hard to diagnose he referred me to a 'specialist' and I didn't want to waste a minute of time as you can imagine. My Vet isn't concerened if it is Lymes however so that's promising!
I get my results tomorrow so I will let you know when the news is in!
Thanks so much for caring
#8 Aug 16, 2012
Hi Amanda, thanks for the update re GME. Sounds like youve already spent a fortune at a veterinary hospital then!
I am glad you're vet is not too worried about Lyme in your dog.
Antibiotics are all you need to clear the infection but you will need to keep an eye on him for future possible complications of being untreated for a while.
We can dicuss this later depending on the results.
I hope you find out soon and get him sorted . Let me know the results.
#9 Sep 5, 2012
My dog had a tick attached and his vet treated him immediately with 2 weeks antibiotic. Yes , sounds like could be Lyme And since I personally have Lyme Borreliosis I wouldn't
Play with maybe yes maybe no. Treat that dog!
#10 Feb 26, 2015
#3.1/#3.95B in book. The.Luciferian.Doctrine (i.e. The.Most.Important.Knowledge.Y ou.would.Ever.Read.Implement.a nd.Live.up.to.Forever) might be the answer to your problems [100% Lyme annihilation, confirmed].fcf1
Add your comments below
|Be on the look out, it's that time of year||May 29||Ron||1|
|Vitamin D Intolerance (Jan '11)||Apr '18||SCWilliamson||181|
|Could this be lyme? (Oct '16)||Feb '18||James K||3|
|A zapper didn't cure her Lyme, Babesia, Rickett...||Jan '18||Rob in Vancouver||2|
|Doctor In Trouble for Lyme Disease Treatment (Jun '06)||Dec '17||Rob in Vancouver||71|
|Help needed to many (Nov '17)||Nov '17||Fighter||1|
|Lyme in mosquitoes (Jul '07)||Nov '17||Ugi||12|
Find what you want!
Search Lyme Disease Forum Now
Copyright © 2018 Topix LLC