Can lung cancer look like pneumonia o...
Pam

Berea, OH

#123 Mar 23, 2012
My father went to the ER last night - after being there for 6 hours and having blood test, X-Rays and Cat scans they found two masses - one in each lung - one 6mm in size. He has been complaing for 3 years of being worn out - a pain he could not describe - feeling horrible - doctors constantly associated it with a case sever case of shingles he developed at that time - family doctor basically gave him an open prescription to percocet and wrote it off as a reprocusion of the shingles...my father is a 50+ year smoker - had X-Rays every year - why did they just see this?
LadyJ

Eden Prairie, MN

#124 Apr 3, 2012
I have emphysema. Had a chest x-ray yesterday. Found out there is a dark spot or cloud on my lungs. Gee, imagine that. Going in for a CT scan on Friday but that's where I draw the line. I know the emphysema is going to kill me and I refuse to have anything else done. It's my fault - I have smoked for 50 years - my advice: DON"T SMOKE and if you do smoke QUIT NOW.
Lisa

Branford, CT

#125 Apr 7, 2012
Kelly wrote:
Hi to all. I am a 35 year old female that was recently diagnosed with pneumonia for a 3rd time. I went in to the hospital on a Saturday for lower back pain and a fever that I couldn't get rid of... Truly, I do not have insurance and could've dealt with the pain and eventually gotten rid of the fever. It was 102 and climbing and when I would take medicine it felt like it was going down, but then would quickly come back. Long story short, I ended up having my husband take me to the ER because I am a student and I had class that day and knew that I would miss class. I needed a reputable excuse so I went to the hospital. Once I was at the hospital I was questioned by the doctors of my symptoms: fever, lower back pain, joint pain (hips, knees-sometimes, ankles, wrists), a dry-hacking cough that I have had for about 4 months now, extreme fatigue, loss of appetite, and weight loss. They sent me for an x-ray, blood work-up, and started an IV. The x-ray results showed and image in the upper right lobe of my lungs. Blood work did not show an increase of my white blood cells, but I had a fever now of 103. They started IV antibiotics and ordered a CT of my chest. The CT showed a positive image of the same nodule in my upper right lobe and pneumonia in both lungs. I was released and sent home on levoquin 750mg for 5 days. My husband picked up the RX that night and I started the medication. I crashed quickly! I was not myself. My husband took me back to the ER early that Sunday morning. I was getting chills, very sick, low fever that came and went quickly and I had lots of blood and protein in my urine, needless to say I was admitted and kept for a week. I was again put on IV antibiotics along with bags of potassium and magnesium. I was so weak that I couldn't walk or lift my arm. All of this came on very sudden. I am home now and have been home for 3 weeks, but I stay tired and short winded. My chest hurts, but I don't know if it has anything to do with pneumonia. While I was in the hospital the doctors mentioned that a pulmonologist would speak with me about the nodule found in my lung via the x-ray and CT, but I was released at my request and was told to follow up with the pulmonologist. I was told that because I am so young and otherwise healthy, that having pneumonia 3 times and having some of the other symptoms that have been ongoing, that I needed to have the nodule biopsied to check for lung cancer. I am not a smoker, nor have I ever been. Should I take this to heart and pursue this or just pass it off to being nothing? I have a 14 year old son who was recently diagnosed with a rare form of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis called
ERA Enthesitis-Related Arthritis or Ankylosing Spondylitis and he is currently on low dose chemo and other TNF blockers for a 2 year treatment period. What do you all think I should do? I am nervous and I don't have the best gut feeling. Please help.
Hi, have you ever heard of FMF? If you google it up you will find that pnemonia and fevers are two of the main symptoms and depending on your nationality, there is more likely you can have it..you can even have it if you test negative for it. If you do a one pill simple drug can help most people a LOT.Look it up and get a good rheumy who knows about it or don't even bother b/c it is rare in USA although probly not that much..probly just under and misdiagnosed...GOOD LUCK!!
Anita

Medfield, MA

#126 Apr 8, 2012
Margie wrote:
My Dad recieved a ct scan earlier this month which showed a small spot in both sides of the lung. They immediately ordered a pet scan and still found these small spots. The lung doctor then had a meeting involving my parents, himself and a thoracic surgeon that also agreed that the spots and the location gave them the grim thought that it was pretty definate that is was probably lung cancer but would need to biopsy it first. Before ordering a biopsy the lung doctor felt another ct scan should be done in 2 wks. to see if there was any change to the spots because a biopsy itself would be hards on my father with only having 40% lung capacity and the location of these spots. The scan results are back and the spots have seemingly disappeared. I am still very nervous but has anyone experienced this before either themselves or a loved one. If this is true God has truly answered my prayers.
God bless you all, please don'e stop praying. Pray for all...
Anita

Medfield, MA

#127 Apr 8, 2012
God bless you all, please don't stop praying...pray for all
jessica

Roseville, MI

#128 Apr 23, 2012
Im 23 years old. have been having back pain in my mid left side of my back. I have no other symptoms. Its been like this for a month. Ive been to the doctors 3 or 4 times and the first time the doctor said it was a muscle strain. Did a chest x ray just in case and called me back and said it was pneumonia, and gave me antibiotics. The pain comes and goes, and is worse when im standing or working. Im not sure if I should go back to get an mri because my only symptom is the back pain. I do smoke
Myra

Gainesville, FL

#129 May 4, 2012
Dear Marcie,

You will not be about to see any blood work that indicates you have lung cancer, but a bronchoscopy with biopsy will surely define if you are dealing with lung cancer. They will send the sample of your lung tissue to Pathology and they will determine if what they see on Xrays is cancer. That is the most definitive way to see if you have cancer. CT scans, and MRIs will produce images, but a biopsy will definitely define if there is a type of cancer brewing. Do it now - because the early the treatment, the greater the survival rate. I pray that the Lord will comfort you through it all.
Pam

Berea, OH

#130 May 4, 2012
Pam wrote:
My father went to the ER last night - after being there for 6 hours and having blood test, X-Rays and Cat scans they found two masses - one in each lung - one 6mm in size. He has been complaing for 3 years of being worn out - a pain he could not describe - feeling horrible - doctors constantly associated it with a case sever case of shingles he developed at that time - family doctor basically gave him an open prescription to percocet and wrote it off as a reprocusion of the shingles...my father is a 50+ year smoker - had X-Rays every year - why did they just see this?
As a follow up - after a dose of antibiotics - and a follow-up pet scan - the spots on his lungs are shrinking...my father has done a total 360 - and is doing better now than he has in years..did he put down the cigarrettes - no...
Chris

South Africa

#131 May 15, 2012
I had a CT scan done today of the lungs because the X-rays showed a white mass on the right lung. After the CT scan the docter says it is either lung cancer or cancer of the limfnodes in the lung or both or perhaps tuberculosys. I pray a lot. May God also help everybody out there that posted on this forum.
Linda

West Jordan, UT

#132 Jun 15, 2012
Chris wrote:
I had a CT scan done today of the lungs because the X-rays showed a white mass on the right lung. After the CT scan the docter says it is either lung cancer or cancer of the limfnodes in the lung or both or perhaps tuberculosys. I pray a lot. May God also help everybody out there that posted on this forum.
What a wonderful person you are blessing everyone else who is having trouble while you you are facing such a great challenge.
God bless you too! xp
gtp1164

Bronx, NY

#133 Jul 4, 2012
Babs wrote:
I was diagnosed with pneumonia 2 months ago. Treated with several meds. Most of the symptoms went away but I have a continuing cough. Cough up clear mucus many times a day. The only way I sleep through the night without coughing is to take a strong night time cough medicine. I have read about bloody mucus but can one have lung cancer with 'clear' mucus? I am very worried. Thanks.
i know this is a old post but can you please tell me how you made out? i am going through this now.. thanks
sue

Blue Springs, MO

#134 Aug 10, 2012
stan wrote:
i got a ct scan on my chest last week, got the results back today. the dr said the scan was good, he said there was a small area they seen, i asked him if that is something i should worry bout , he said it could be anyything and it isnt really anything. i do smoke so i am wondering what a white spot means or things it could be , if anyone can clue me in a little bit i would aprreciate it alot.

My brother had 3 cat scans done. he has white spots on his lungs and the doctor told him it was scar tissue from walking pneumonia
CIN

Sterling Heights, MI

#135 Aug 18, 2012
My dad was admitted into hospital 7 days ago with pneumonia. Everyday an xray comes back that the "pneumonia" is getting worse. Bronchoscopy was done and saw lesions in the lungs. The bronchoscopy shows no infection and now thinking it was never pneumonia in the first place. After 7 days, the xrays show that both lungs are white. Dad is struggling to breath and we have no diagnosis for treatment at this time. We have no idea what could be causing this. They are going to do a lung biopsy and hopefully figure it out. A ventilator is necessary but we fear he won't be able to come off it afterwords.
sue gooch

Gardner, KS

#136 Sep 15, 2012
My husband was having chest pain, and so we went to ER, and they did a chest x-ray and told him he had pneumonia on the rt side. The said we should have a CT scan to rule out lung cancer. Does anyone know why they would do that. He has had pneumonia before and they never said to have a CT scan.
Charmaine

UK

#137 Sep 18, 2012
I am 32yrs old and developed a cough had a chest xray and was told i had pneumonia was given antibiotics after I had finished the course went back to have a 2nd chest X-ray as still had cough and was told antibiotics hadn't worked and bloods came back fine but what is on my lung has got bigger n now am suffering shortness of breath had a 3rd X-ray to now say it again has grown n bloods are still normal I am petrified I do have a ct scan nxt week they are saying that they dnt no what it is u have every right to be worried and keep on going until you find out what it is as I'm doin all I can does any1 have any advice
Charmaine

UK

#138 Sep 18, 2012
I am 32 and after having a cough went for a chest X-ray n my bloods taken where they said I had pneumonia was given antibiotics altho my bloods where normal after the course n still having the symptoms had a 2nd X-ray which they said whatever it is on my lung has got bigger then a week later I'm suffering with shortness of breath so after a third X-ray it again has grown and again bloods are normal they haven't actually got a clue I am now having a ct scan nxt week should I be seriously worried and would appreciate some advice plzz anyone
kirsten

London, UK

#139 Sep 18, 2012
4 weeks ago I had pneumonia doctors told me it was that bad I was lucky to be here, was at doctors yesterday and its still not cleared, go for another chest xray next week! So afraid of having lung cancer anyone else had it and took a while to recover?:(
House

Albuquerque, NM

#140 Sep 30, 2012
I went to the doctor for a bladder infection and stomache pain due to me being constapaided I had a X-ray taken and blood work done. Dr prescribed meds for bladder infection and told me everything looked good except for X-ray said I was really backed up with poop. The next day they called and said I need to follow up with a doctor that they found mass on my lungs I'm freaking out I have three kids all I do is want to cry has anybody been threw this?
irma

Houston, TX

#141 Nov 4, 2012
I have had a pain on under my right breast for about a year. It comes and goen and has not been very bothersom. I recently started feeling very ill and my blood pressure has gone up so I finally went to see a doctor. I have high blood pressure, but he took an xray of my chest becuase of the pain and said there seem to be smoke. He asked if I smoked or was around smokers and I am not. He didn't say it was a mass and stupid me didn't ask what it could be I guess cause I was just so scared that I didn't even want to think about cancer. I have to go back to get some blood work done but has anyone been told or ave had their xrays described as smoke. Please someone let me know cause I am terrifed.
clayton

Kansas City, KS

#142 Nov 11, 2012
I'm a 40yr old male smoker.. I went in for strep throat, the doctor said my breath sounds were not the same on one side as the other.. took X-ray, showed me a small spot on lower part of lung behind my diaphragm, he raised an eyebrow and said "it may be pneumonia or the beginning of something worse." This was 4 days ago.. I'm on antibiotics for pneumonia... should I be concerened? I've had pneumonia 5 times in my life but always gotten better... never had a doctor talk so grave to me.. I'm worried about a follow up.. any thoughts?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lung Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News November 16 - International Day Without Smoking Nov 16 Haha 1
What do the real lung cancer symptoms feel like?!? (Oct '06) Oct '17 Justpassingthrough 60
Mother, Aunt and brother all had NSCC - should ... Aug '17 Krissyy 1
News We could do more to fight cancer like McCain's.... Aug '17 yidfellas v USA 49
News Building Canada 150 - Asbestos: from miracle ma... Jul '17 Day in UK 1
my soninlaws stage 4 lung cancer miracle (Aug '06) Jun '17 Sassyk 203
News 1 in 2 Canadians will get cancer, 1 in 4 will d... Jun '17 Anonymous 2
More from around the web