post tkr adhesions/scar tissue

Since: Dec 10

Seattle, WA

#63 Dec 20, 2010
Roseann Yeso wrote:
I had my TKR on Sept 23, which makes me 9 weeks post op today. I am absolutely miserable and wish I had not done it at this point in time. I have absolutely no energy, all I want to do is sleep. I force myself to go to pt 3 times a week and am doing my exercise routine twice a day...which includes recumbent bike for 5 minutes. For the past 2 weeks my measurment has been at 110 and I don't seem to be able to get any further. I'm still having a good bit of pain, and it feels like there is a band going around the front of my knee that gets really tight. I'm more dependent on my family right now. I can't even get in and out of my bath tub on my own. Everyone keeps telling me to just hang in there and not give up, but this is so hard because I'm feeling so bad right now. My other knee is to be done in a bout a year, but feeling like this...I just don't think it's worth going through all this!
New this site. I am in total sympathy with you. My TKR was Nov 1, 2010.I experience the same tight feeling around my knee that you describe. But I envy you your 110 degrees. My best is about 83, though my physical therapist can push it to about 90--but the pain of that is excruciating. Other than PT and doing my exercises, I'm not experiencing much pain, so that's one good thing. My trouble is the internal scar tissue. On Dec. 17th, I had manipulation under general anesthesia to try to break up the scar tissue and improve my range of motion. But so far, no improvement and I fear the scar tissue is re-forming moment by moment. I am not facing surgery on my other knee, but if I were, I would NOT have it done. Wish I hadn't had this knee done. So my heart goes out to you and hope we both find some relief. I am looking in to renting a CPM machine, but fear it may be too late. Wish that it had been used after surgery, but apparently my surgeon doesn't see the benefit of using them. Says that 6 months down the road, there's no difference in those who used it and those who didn't.
Debbie T

Haines City, FL

#64 Dec 20, 2010
Hello Karmakity:
Not too sure if you had a chance to read about my replacement on 2/9/10. Anyway, what a nitemare. I am going to a doctor at the end of the week for an evaluation. I have about an 80 degree extension & about a -20 extension. I believe that scar tissue is a major factor with my range of motin. But I think it may take more surgery to straighten it out. Darn! I am 52 and too young to be sitting around with a bumm knee....kind of wish I wouldnt have had the first surgery. Happy Holidays all!

Since: Dec 10

Seattle, WA

#65 Dec 20, 2010
Debbie T wrote:
Hello Karmakity:
Not too sure if you had a chance to read about my replacement on 2/9/10. Anyway, what a nitemare. I am going to a doctor at the end of the week for an evaluation. I have about an 80 degree extension & about a -20 extension. I believe that scar tissue is a major factor with my range of motin. But I think it may take more surgery to straighten it out. Darn! I am 52 and too young to be sitting around with a bumm knee....kind of wish I wouldnt have had the first surgery. Happy Holidays all!
I am done with surgery, since it was surgery that caused scar tissue in the first place. I will see my acupuncturist and massage therapist, and continue physical therapy. I definitely wish I hadn't had the surgery
Helen

Framingham, MA

#66 Dec 20, 2010
I had TKR in July 2007. Infected in Jan. 2008 and had it removed with spacer in place and no knee put back in till July 2008. August 2010 had a replacement of liner due a low grade staph infection and clean out.

My knee currently bothers me and I can't stand or walk on it very much. It hurts under the knee and on the side. Had PT and pool therapy and all throughout these times and it doesn't seem to be helping. Surgeon just said to me "let's just put a smile on our face and be glad we have a knee.

What could help ease the pain? I take oxycodone. I'm also on dialysis and on vancomycin once weekly IV to prevent infection again in my knee.
Roseann Yeso

Pittsburgh, PA

#67 Dec 20, 2010
Well it's been @ a month since my post, which puts me around the 3 month post op time frame. It is a little better, and I am finally beginning to feel human again. Of course shortly after my last post, I went on an anti-depressant because of my mood. I am just now finally getting a little sleep, and the pain has subsided a bit, although I do have bad spells here and there. My ROM is still at 110 and apparently thats as good as I'm going to get. According to my orthopedic, I was at 110/-07 prior to surgery. I still don't feel the surgery was worth it for me, and do not think I'm going to do the other leg. I am experiencing less pain from the arthritis now than before surgery but I've lost the ability to get in and out of my bathtub myself, getting down on the floor to play with my dog or work in my garden, climb up on my step stool to reach for things. Even though they seem like minor things....they are things I used to enjoy that I'm not going to get back. If I had it to do over...I would just continue to live with the pain. At least that I knew what to expect and was used to it. Now, I don't know from 1 day to the next how I'm going to feel when I get up in the morning or what else I'm going to discover I can no longer do.
Rhonda btkr 12-10-09

Fairfield, CT

#68 Feb 12, 2011
Has anyone here had arthroscopic surgery to clean out the scar tissue that prohibits getting more flexion? I'm at 95 and 100 for both knees and have already had a manipulation. That helped but not as much as expected. I can basically do everything but walking down stairs is challenging and my knees still are painful most of the time.
Thoughts?
Mary from Camden OHIO

Bellville, OH

#69 Feb 12, 2011
Roseann:

I am almost two years out (may), you are doing good. I am at 125, so you are not far behind. Keep pushing yourself, trust me you will be glad you did this. I am very happy with my new knee. Good Luck!!!
Roseann Yeso

Pittsburgh, PA

#70 Feb 12, 2011
Thanks Mary. I'm now almost at the 5 month post op mark. It is slowly getting better since my last post. There is one area that is of significant concern for me. Right behind the knee on the outer side where the hamstring is located is really painful. It has been this way since day one. Upon waking from surgery it was swollen quite a bit. I was told then it was normal, and we just continuously iced it. During my recovery and throughout PT, I was told it was not uncommon due to the muscles and tendons being shifted around, nerves being cut, etc. We tried heat, ice, massage. Finally they did an ultrasound to make sure it wasn't a blood clot. It still hurts enough at times that I still have to take pain meds. And certain ways that I move, it almost feels like my knee is popping. I see the doctor again in Mid march so I am going to discuss it with him and see what he thinks.

As for my movement, it really hasn't changed. I didn't expect it to but I am learning how to manage around it. I can now get out of the bathtub unassisted with a little maneuvering. I suspect I'll find a way to get down on the ground to do my gardening come summer. I'm also thinking I'll start feeling a little better once I can get outside and walk on a regular basis. We've had a pretty cold / icy winter so I haven't done much walking. This will actually be a first for me since I've been in a wheelchair for about 4 years. I'm looking forward to building up some strength there.
Kathy in MN

United States

#71 Feb 12, 2011
JoAnn wrote:
I am four months post op. I did eight weeks of PT, three times a week. I now have deep muscle massages on my leg. That has really helped me. I've had a very good recovery but was still not able to straighten my leg. After the massages I can now straighten it totally. I have no problem with my knee at all, it's all the muscles tightening up. After the massage I feel lots better, but I do have to go back. It takes awhile for those muscles I guess to relax and not tighten again. I also have an exercise bike. Good luck to you and if you can take the "pain" of a deep muscle massage I would recommend it.
I am 5 1/2 mo post TKR. This is my 2nd one. First one no problem. This one... pain behind knee right after surgery, then cellulitis on th lower part of my leg. PT was great with 100' bend and straightening at 6. The thing is that pain is getting worse behind knee, side of knee and especially upper thigh. Limp is NOT going away.....and neither is the pain. So, I read about deep muscle message... how offten do you do this?? Is it still helping??? Thanks
Judy

Buffalo, NY

#72 Feb 25, 2011
My tkr was four and a half weeks ago. My ROM is now at 96. Dr. wants to do a manipulation as he was able to get it to 130 postoperatively in the op.room. The thought scares me terribly. How sore are you after a manipulation?
Rhonda btkr 12-10-09

Framingham, MA

#73 Feb 28, 2011
Hi,

Had a manipulation on both knees after 3 monthes of not seeing improvement in flexion. Be ready because it does hurt and you must work very hard in PT right away to get moving. My scar tissue grew too quickly and now I am looking at arthroscopic surgery to remove the scar tissue. Have 110 on left and only 95 on the right. I'm only 54 and an athlete- want to be able to walk down the stairs w/out wincing! Good luck Judy!
Mary from Camden ohio

Bellville, OH

#74 Feb 28, 2011
Roseann Yeso:
Our winter was and still is icey and cold. That is one reason I had my surgery scheduled in May, almost two years ago. I was on my riding mower after three months. My husband bought me a cub cadet zero turn, and it really helped me pushing that gas pedel, and mowing. He also has bought me a bike, so I ride that up and down the street in warm months. Keep pushing yourself, and good luck to you!
Roseann Yeso

Pittsburgh, PA

#75 Mar 30, 2011
I'm still hanging in there like everyone keeps telling me. Recently had my 6 month post op with my Ortho. He's thrilled with my progress and had to remind me that I was in severe enough pain 24/7 that I was prescribed Morphine. I was unable to stand long enough to take a shower without severe pain and could not walk more that a block. My knee was stuck in a bent position at -7 degrees. At this point I'm still at 110/0 which means I can now totally straighten my leg. I can stand for about an hour now and am able to walk about 1/4 mile. My pain level is pretty much manageable with a hot bath or otc Tylenol. My progress is slow, but I am making progress. I still don't think I'm going to do the other knee. Things will have to get a lot worse for me to consider it.
ksoup

Okolona, MS

#76 Mar 31, 2011
I have had surgery done FOUR time since my replacement and at least 3 times it waas for removal of scar tissue. Was it worth it? YES! I only got a couple of months of relief at most from pain before it would start to grow back but at least I had a couple of months that were better than the rest of the year! Hope you get better soon!
ksoup

Marysville, OH

#77 Mar 31, 2011
I am lucky, I never had a scar tissue issue. I know when the PT came to my home, she really bent my knee, and she told me she believes it helped me not get the scar tissue. I think the expression she used, was she broke the scar tissue. Just keep trying! Good luck!
Judy

Buffalo, NY

#78 Apr 1, 2011
I am now 8 weeks post op for tkr. ROM is only at 103 and flex at 4. PT was talking about scar tissue forming. Someone told me scar tissue can dissovle on its own. Is this true? Don't see my Ortho until mid-April. If I don't have a manipulation, could the ROM continue to improve? Thanks.
janet

Keilor, Australia

#79 Apr 24, 2011
has anybody had a open operation to free adhesion im 2 years after my
RTKR
i have good bending but straightening is terrible and i have pain and limping.
thanks
janet

Keilor, Australia

#80 Apr 24, 2011
how did you know i was in sandringham?
janet

Keilor, Australia

#81 Apr 24, 2011
Helen wrote:
I had TKR in July 2007. Infected in Jan. 2008 and had it removed with spacer in place and no knee put back in till July 2008. August 2010 had a replacement of liner due a low grade staph infection and clean out.
My knee currently bothers me and I can't stand or walk on it very much. It hurts under the knee and on the side. Had PT and pool therapy and all throughout these times and it doesn't seem to be helping. Surgeon just said to me "let's just put a smile on our face and be glad we have a knee.
What could help ease the pain? I take oxycodone. I'm also on dialysis and on vancomycin once weekly IV to prevent infection again in my knee.
oh you poor thing you have had everything, im 2 years on i think it will take a while to get over all the
problems i had a staph infection in my stomach and it took time to get over it after all you have had your
body will take time keep your chin up
Val - Arlington Texas

Arlington, TX

#82 May 22, 2011
I had a total knee replacement in November 2007, a manipulation in December 2007 and a lysis of adhesions in March 2009. I have more problems now than I had prior to the first operation. The flexion increased for a while until the adhesions started to build up and now the knee is extremely stiff and feels tight around the bottom of the knee. Both times I had physical thereay, used the flexinator, and other equipment such as the recumbent bicycle.The last trip to a different orthopedic surgeon to get a second opinion, I was told the inplant needed to be removed and another kind inserted because the Depuy inplant was not a good product. Where do I go from here? I know a 95 year old lady that has experienced replacements on both knees who walks better than I do, and with no discomfort.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Knee replacement spacer revision (May '12) 5 hr Ewagner 41
Knee replacement pain 9 months post-op (Feb '10) 11 hr Jean 477
peripheral neuropathy after knee replacement (Dec '11) 16 hr lovey123 198
total knee replacement problems (Dec '12) Sat Becky ninni 47
Knee Staph Infection (Mar '07) Sat Jofarr 92
After total knee still swollen and feels hot to... (Sep '12) Mar 24 Ladhume 133
News Knee Replacements with DePuy (Feb '10) Mar 23 No name 105
More from around the web