post tkr adhesions/scar tissue
Chris

Nashville, TN

#43 Feb 14, 2010
Hello,
I had TKR in NYC done on january 11, 2010. I had the minimally invasive. I was at 90 degrees day one and 120 degrees on week three. I had an accident 14 yrs ago which caused me to have this done at the age of 38. I was wondering if anyone had any special treatments for working the scar and breaking up the scar tissue attached to the incision. I have been using vitamin e, but I have found that it is a little painful but needs to be done to that skin will move independently. After reading some of the posts, I must say that I have been fortunate enough not to have many of your problems. My only set back was my incision opened up a little and they made me sit on my hiney for three or four days until it closed up. That was a little set back but the next week I was back on track. I think the single most important thing I did during all of this recovery was icing. I also did exactly what the doctors told me to do. If they said wear the CPM 6 hours a day, I wore it 6 hours a day. If they said ice 30 minutes on 30 minutes off, I did exactly that. If they said you have to bend to 100 degrees today, I found a way to do it. You have to work hard. I found that my hamstring was more hindering than my knee. It is amazing how quickly you atrophe so keep stretching! Take care and if you have any tips for the scar manipulation please pass them along!!
Melissa

AOL

#44 Mar 18, 2010
Had my TKR on Feb 16 so I am out 30 days. Yesterday at PT I measured 88 degree bend and 7 degree straight. I know from the PT who was coming to my home for the first 2 weeks they wanted me to reach 90 degree by the end of her service. I made it to 82 and since then have only gained another 6 degrees. I've begun to have pain in the back of my knee when I lay flat and do exercises. Upon rising it goes away or shifts to the front of the knee.
When the therapist bends my knee it brings me to tears it is so painful. He thinks I may have adhesions. I see the surgeon next week and if it hasn't been worked out I may request a manipulation.

As for scar care ,I've been using cocoa butter and agrressivly rubbing it in with my thumbs in a circular motion which seem to be doing the trick.
MarnieD

Porter, TX

#45 Mar 31, 2010
Chris wrote:
Hello,
I had TKR in NYC done on january 11, 2010. I had the minimally invasive. I was at 90 degrees day one and 120 degrees on week three. I had an accident 14 yrs ago which caused me to have this done at the age of 38. I was wondering if anyone had any special treatments for working the scar and breaking up the scar tissue attached to the incision. I have been using vitamin e, but I have found that it is a little painful but needs to be done to that skin will move independently. After reading some of the posts, I must say that I have been fortunate enough not to have many of your problems. My only set back was my incision opened up a little and they made me sit on my hiney for three or four days until it closed up. That was a little set back but the next week I was back on track. I think the single most important thing I did during all of this recovery was icing. I also did exactly what the doctors told me to do. If they said wear the CPM 6 hours a day, I wore it 6 hours a day. If they said ice 30 minutes on 30 minutes off, I did exactly that. If they said you have to bend to 100 degrees today, I found a way to do it. You have to work hard. I found that my hamstring was more hindering than my knee. It is amazing how quickly you atrophe so keep stretching! Take care and if you have any tips for the scar manipulation please pass them along!!
Hi Chris, I am 45 days tkr and using Medderma on the incision really helps. The tube says 4 times a day. I massage it in really well, doing a circular, criss cross and side to side movement. I use as much pressure as I can bear. It seems to make a difference. Remember, things won't look good for a few months, but over time it will fade.
aab

Excelsior Springs, MO

#46 Aug 11, 2010
I had my TKR on July 19, 2010. I am under 50 years old and work a full time job. I want to go back to work, but things just are going as I planned. I am so frustrated. By 11 day post op I was at 88 degrees on my own. Now I am 23 days post op and can only get 80 degrees with the PT pushing.
I got to get back to work, I am going stir crazy.
Anyone know of a 'herb' or something that helps with scar tissue? Someone told me they thought it was Rose Hip or something??
Maryez

Cardington, OH

#47 Aug 11, 2010
Just relax and give it time. Don't be in such a hurry, your work will still be there! I am 13 months out and I am doing great. My leg bends to 125 and is really straight. My husband got me a bicycle ( not a stationarey, a real bike) for my birthday, and I ride it, and it has helped my knee so steps are easier!
aab wrote:
I had my TKR on July 19, 2010. I am under 50 years old and work a full time job. I want to go back to work, but things just are going as I planned. I am so frustrated. By 11 day post op I was at 88 degrees on my own. Now I am 23 days post op and can only get 80 degrees with the PT pushing.
I got to get back to work, I am going stir crazy.
Anyone know of a 'herb' or something that helps with scar tissue? Someone told me they thought it was Rose Hip or something??
Debbie T

Saint Petersburg, FL

#48 Aug 11, 2010
Hello all....count you blessings. I had a TKR 2/09/10. When I got home after 6 days in the hospital I was at 57. After 7 days at home I received a CPM. After home pt, I went to outpatient therapy and reached 75 degrees. 2 months post op I fell and it set me back to 60 degrees. I then ended up with RSD from the trauma of the fall. RSD is a central nervous dysfunction which affects the healing process & is treated with a low dose of anti-depressants. I achieved 75 degrees again & upon my return to the doctor, I was scheduled for MAU 3 months post op. I resumed pt until 1 month ago and was 5 months post op. I reached 98 degrees and 10 on extension. Last week I had a 6 month appointment with my doctor, my rom is approximately 80 degrees. RSD causes swelling, stiffness, inflammation & reduces rom. So now I am returning to pt tomorrow, another course of 3xweek. My therapists were excellant & pushed me to tears. They will be doing it again! I am 51 years old.....never thought I would have all of these complications! I have remained very active and walk daily with approximately 3 hours in the pool per day. Unfortunately there is no time frame for RSD. A lady in therapy with me had been suffering from RSD for 15 years & was receiving morophine patches for the pain. Not sure where my story will end, but many of you have had a whole lot better experiences than I.
I enjoyed reading your posts and hope you all contimue to recover & gain your maximm rom.
David

Hempstead, NY

#49 Sep 26, 2010
Hi, I had my tkr on July 22nd, 2010. The surgery itself did a job on my body. I couldn't take more than 10 steps the day after surgery and several days after. I went to rehap on the 4th day for 10 days. I left there walking witha walker but in alot pain. After 7 weeks I had to have a manipulation. That was a mistake, I was better off before that. I developed scar tissue which is keeping my leg stiff. I have had pains from my ankle to the top of my thigh. I ice, I use heat. My wife massages the scar 3 times a day to help break it up. I ordereed an excercise bike hoping that will help break up the scar tissue. It has been slightly over 2 months. I was never in this much pain before the surgery. I'm so discouraged, is there anything out there to help break up this scar tissue. I have to go back to work in 6 weeks or I will lose my health benefits.
JoAnn

Olympia, WA

#50 Sep 26, 2010
I am four months post op. I did eight weeks of PT, three times a week. I now have deep muscle massages on my leg. That has really helped me. I've had a very good recovery but was still not able to straighten my leg. After the massages I can now straighten it totally. I have no problem with my knee at all, it's all the muscles tightening up. After the massage I feel lots better, but I do have to go back. It takes awhile for those muscles I guess to relax and not tighten again. I also have an exercise bike. Good luck to you and if you can take the "pain" of a deep muscle massage I would recommend it.
David

Hempstead, NY

#51 Sep 28, 2010
Thats my problem also. My muscles tighten up. I'v tried ice then warmth. If I sit for more than 10 minutes my leg stiffens. I'm still having pains on my shine and my thigh. I'mn going to another pt on Friday, maybe they have other ideas. I'll try anything.
Debbie T

Saint Petersburg, FL

#52 Sep 28, 2010
Hi David:
Not sure if you read my post, but I can relate---believe me. A couple of weeks ago I was given a JAS brace which I am using for 3 hours a day. This knee is becoming a full-time job! Anyway, this brace stretches & I am hopeful that it will give me the much needed improvements. I had a TKR 2/9/10. The JAS stretches both extension & flexion. I am about 95 degrees flexion & -10 degrees extension. This is not good. The brace works well, and does stretch the muscles which you can actually feel. This stretch is only temporary & I return to stiffness when off of the brace. I am awaiting a second opinion & now have Social Security considering sending me to one of their doctors. They have also mentioned a bone scan & ENG. I am so frustrated and believe scar tissue is my main problem. Hoping someone can figure out what is happening with this knee. Hang in there.......keep working it & hope things work out for you as well. I'll keep you updateded.
Sarah

Fairfax, VA

#53 Sep 28, 2010
JoAnn wrote:
I am four months post op. I did eight weeks of PT, three times a week. I now have deep muscle massages on my leg. That has really helped me. I've had a very good recovery but was still not able to straighten my leg. After the massages I can now straighten it totally. I have no problem with my knee at all, it's all the muscles tightening up. After the massage I feel lots better, but I do have to go back. It takes awhile for those muscles I guess to relax and not tighten again. I also have an exercise bike. Good luck to you and if you can take the "pain" of a deep muscle massage I would recommend it.
JoAnn do you do your own deep muscle massages..or better yet what is a deep muscle massage....someone told me about a machine called sonic relief to buy and use..any feed back would be great..tks
David

Hempstead, NY

#54 Oct 2, 2010
I decided to switch to another pt. My wife has a patient in her office who has 2 offices. I went to her on Fri. I feel she will be abe to help me. Her therapy is alot different than the one I have been having. I feel I wasted 2 months. She said I have a tough knee because of the scar tissue, but she feels with her help and alot of home excercises things will improve. I hope so, The muscle on the side of my leg is so tender I can hardly touch it. She told me to get a mini plunger to put on my knee and lift the skin, which in turn will help the scar tissue. Crazy, but worth a try.
mary ez

Marysville, OH

#55 Oct 2, 2010
Hot tub Hot tub Hot tub will really help!!! At least three days a week, and while you are in the hot tub stretch that knee as much as you can, it has helped me
marie

Australia

#56 Oct 9, 2010
had tkr on 5/6/2010 manipulation 25/7/2010 still cant get past 65 degrees. Pain has been severe and still painful to do exercises. Oxynorm didnt help as I had bad reaction to it. Living in the country was not able to access physio for weeks. LOoks like another manipulation. Restriction of my leg movement has aggravated my spinal problems and made rehab difficult.
David

Hempstead, NY

#57 Oct 18, 2010
It would be nice if I had a hot tub available to me, but I don't. Hoping my leg brace and my new pt will help. Keep getting these sharp pains in my knee. When will it end

Since: Oct 10

Billerica, MA

#58 Oct 18, 2010
Hi All: I was one of the lucky ones and had 105 degree flex with 0 extension after rehab (0ne week) after surgery. 120 degrees soon followed.
As far as scar tissue giving trouble flexing, it does once in a while(my 2nd TKR was in 10/10.
I have found that rubbing a few drops of vitamin E oil (After wound is Completely Closed) helps a great deal to soften tissue and keeps it moist/flexible.
Works great on cracked skin/hands etc too, but if in doubt.... ask the Doc.
I wish you all well.
Judy

Mililani, HI

#59 Nov 11, 2010
well david you scared me I had surgery on 9-28-10 went to dr and now I'm going in for manipulation on mdy 11-15 I can only bend my knee 75 pc and I'm afraid when I come out I/ll be worst but my back and leg always hurts and i'm 60 yrs young i'm in good health but crying alot I'm scared I think I should of never read about man but I.m hoping I do fine wish me luck sometimes I wish I never had surgery but I had asteeoarthritus which locked up my leg. Judy
David wrote:
Hi, I had my tkr on July 22nd, 2010. The surgery itself did a job on my body. I couldn't take more than 10 steps the day after surgery and several days after. I went to rehap on the 4th day for 10 days. I left there walking witha walker but in alot pain. After 7 weeks I had to have a manipulation. That was a mistake, I was better off before that. I developed scar tissue which is keeping my leg stiff. I have had pains from my ankle to the top of my thigh. I ice, I use heat. My wife massages the scar 3 times a day to help break it up. I ordereed an excercise bike hoping that will help break up the scar tissue. It has been slightly over 2 months. I was never in this much pain before the surgery. I'm so discouraged, is there anything out there to help break up this scar tissue. I have to go back to work in 6 weeks or I will lose my health benefits.
dean

Mobile, AL

#60 Nov 13, 2010
Pat wrote:
Jeff in WI, I can't tell if I have any swelling. I can't see or feel any swelling. However, I do experience stiffness in both the TKR side and in the non-surgical knee on "bad" weather days--I attribute the stiffness to osteoarthritis, not the TKR. My knee stiffness is completely alleviated by 220 mg of Aleve taken each morning. I take one-hour water aerobics classes 6 days each week and sit in the hot tub for at least 15 minutes before and after each class--riding an imaginary bike and putting the knee directly into the jets. Is 97 degrees limiting? Yes, it calls for caution in walking down high stairs and getting in and out of SUV's; otherwise, I just jump when I cannot flex enough to step. I continue to work on adjusting my stationary bike to force more flexion. I had my TKR about 3 mos ago and have been told that after one year, no gains can be
expected. Thus, I hope to make progress over the
next few months. Both my knees have been at around
100 degree flexion for several years--TKR didn't take away flexion, but the TKR obliterated all the pain during the first month post-op.
Ihad rkr in 07/2007, in 3weeks after surgery I was bending knee on cpm machine at 125, but the last 6 to 8 months myu knee is hurting about all the time, now am taking at least 4 or 5 lortab 7.5mg a day and still not free of pain. Go to doctoron Nov. 16 and he will probably go in and take out scar tissue. I want to free of pain and free of pain medicine. Good luck to everyone. I had first rkr in 2004 and then again in July 2007,
maryez

Kenton, OH

#61 Nov 13, 2010
maybe you could join your local ymca, or any recreactional place that has a pool and hot tub. It will help you!
David wrote:
It would be nice if I had a hot tub available to me, but I don't. Hoping my leg brace and my new pt will help. Keep getting these sharp pains in my knee. When will it end
Roseann Yeso

Pittsburgh, PA

#62 Nov 25, 2010
I had my TKR on Sept 23, which makes me 9 weeks post op today. I am absolutely miserable and wish I had not done it at this point in time. I have absolutely no energy, all I want to do is sleep. I force myself to go to pt 3 times a week and am doing my exercise routine twice a day...which includes recumbent bike for 5 minutes. For the past 2 weeks my measurment has been at 110 and I don't seem to be able to get any further. I'm still having a good bit of pain, and it feels like there is a band going around the front of my knee that gets really tight. I'm more dependent on my family right now. I can't even get in and out of my bath tub on my own. Everyone keeps telling me to just hang in there and not give up, but this is so hard because I'm feeling so bad right now. My other knee is to be done in a bout a year, but feeling like this...I just don't think it's worth going through all this!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pain after knee replacement (Apr '12) 2 hr Vivienne 85
News Knee Replacements with DePuy (Feb '10) 4 hr Marcy 102
Double Knee Replacement Thailand. Thu Mel Batchelor 1
Double total knee replacement, please give your... Thu KevyO 2
After total knee still swollen and feels hot to... (Sep '12) Dec 6 Snore 126
Post TKR week 3 (Sep '12) Dec 5 KevyO 20
3 1/2 years after TKR still with pain in knee (Jul '13) Dec 5 Lovelylori 141
More from around the web