Exercise after double knee replacement

Posted in the Knee Replacement Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Chr istie R

United States

#1 Oct 15, 2007
I'm 3 years post double knee replacement (had both done at the same time - ouch!). I was told during PT to stay away from Curves (Women's Exercise center) and all hydraulic exercise machines. I'm walking without pain and have fairly good ROM in both knees although the right knee is better than the left. I really miss the gym and have gained weight since my surgery. Is it safe for me to go back to the gym and use the equipment? We did get a treadmill, but I found that after about 10 minutes my knees began to hurt. Any ideas?
Joon

Toronto, Canada

#2 Oct 16, 2007
Christie,
Is Curves a real gym? The advice to stay away from the gym is CRAP!!!
Go back to the gym and regain your life! The only caution on any equipment is not to overdo it. Like doing 100 floors on the stair master.
When in the world would you climb 100 floors, except on a bet. Just slowly build up your strength, and you will be fine! ATB. Joon.
mahendra dev durham usa

Durham, NC

#3 Oct 19, 2007
Chr istie R wrote:
I'm 3 years post double knee replacement (had both done at the same time - ouch!). I was told during PT to stay away from Curves (Women's Exercise center) and all hydraulic exercise machines. I'm walking without pain and have fairly good ROM in both knees although the right knee is better than the left. I really miss the gym and have gained weight since my surgery. Is it safe for me to go back to the gym and use the equipment? We did get a treadmill, but I found that after about 10 minutes my knees began to hurt. Any ideas?
in my opinion and experience tread mills are one of root cause of making knees bad. i was member of ymca for years and walked on tread mill a lot . this accelerated the decay in my right knee which was hurt in a car accident 17 years ago .walking at your own pace and stretching after warm up iiiiiiis best . do not over do any thing moderation is the word . i am a student of yoga for over 35 years and was also a yoga teacher
patanjali the great sage who codified yoga sutra 200 ad says about asana : sukham asanam: means any body posture that is comfortable-
is asana for you.i have witnessed that many yoga teachers and students of yoga disregard this simple advice and go beyond like doing lotus pose against their body,s elasticity.
go to gym but be aware of your limitations enjoy gym not torture your self . this body of ours is a vehical to enjoy this world.as regards weight gain good nutrition is the key with active life style. eschew fried and sugary foods lot of veg and fresh fruit with ample fluid intake , mr joon is a wise teacher
lalitha

Brick, NJ

#4 Feb 22, 2008
I am 3 months after bilateral knee replacement.
Can you tell me what I could do at the gym.
Hi there

Lothian, MD

#5 Feb 23, 2008
I have also had bilaterl knee replacements, but at different times. I go to the gym 3-4 times per week. My therapist and surgeon both told me not to use any high impact equipment. If you like cardio, how about trying the elliptical machine. I love it and there is no impact. The most popular piece of equipment in the gym. First I use the bike for about 30 minutes (choose the bike you like best) to loosen up my knees, and you can work up the level "pressure" the more you do,then I get on the elliptical. I am now doing the elliptical for 40 minutes and doing a great full body workout. I use the treadmill occasionally now but not so much since I am now accustomed to the elliptical machine. The treadmill does have a little impact and causes my right knee to ache at times. I only walk a mile on it and a 3.2 or 3.3 speed. I have short legs so I can't go any faster. I also use the leg press to help strengthen my knees and the thigh and hip abductor. There is alot you can do to get your exercise in and help keep your legs going. I also have bought some exericse balls to do some leg and back exercises (strength) at home. Good luck
Debbie

Temperance, MI

#6 Mar 9, 2008
I had a double knee replacement 6 months ago. My surgeon(Dr. Jeffery Glenn) Toledo, Ohio...He did a wonderful job on my knees. I still hurt during the cold weather. It is bothering me alot with the snow storms and rain. I was doing great and all of a sudden for the past week, I have been hurting terribly. Can the weather do this?
Joon

Toronto, Canada

#7 Mar 9, 2008
Debbie,
Absolutely! Titanium and cold/damp do not mix well! Keep those knees moving to increase circulation, and try to stay warm! Cheers! Joon.
b barratt

UK

#8 Mar 9, 2008
Joon wrote:
Debbie,
Absolutely! Titanium and cold/damp do not mix well! Keep those knees moving to increase circulation, and try to stay warm! Cheers! Joon.
hello Joon hope you are keepingwell wehave xchanged posts last year I have been doing very well but this last week i have been getting lot of pain knee is very stiff walking is painful and knee has given way from under me lots of clicking when walking is this all part of the healing process ats been 7 months now since the op all the best BB uk
Joon

Toronto, Canada

#9 Mar 11, 2008
Of, course! I remember.
Your condition does not sound right. I understand the clicking and stiff aspect, because it is winter, but pain walking, and the giving away seems unusual. Particularly the giving away, at this stage, when you should begin to feel quite stable!
Have you seen the surgeon? I think an Xray is in order. Sometimes there can be some movement, or slipping and a new Xray will be examined next to your earlier one allowing the OS to detect any change in the position of the prothesis. If you haven't already done so, contact your OS, and keep us posted. Cheers! Joon
b barratt

UK

#10 Mar 11, 2008
Joon wrote:
Of, course! I remember.
Your condition does not sound right. I understand the clicking and stiff aspect, because it is winter, but pain walking, and the giving away seems unusual. Particularly the giving away, at this stage, when you should begin to feel quite stable!
Have you seen the surgeon? I think an Xray is in order. Sometimes there can be some movement, or slipping and a new Xray will be examined next to your earlier one allowing the OS to detect any change in the position of the prothesis. If you haven't already done so, contact your OS, and keep us posted. Cheers! Joon
Hello Joon Thanks for your reply I am going to see my pyhsio on Thursday will have a word with her .All the best B B
patt

Fort Worth, TX

#11 Mar 24, 2008
I am 4 weeks out of a left knee replacement......no more walker, no more cane....started walking around the block a few days ago....MY BIG QUESTION IS......is it true that my new new biomet vanguaard is sensitive to the cold......seems like I can't shake the chill...and upon waking I am so stiff....
I know that it is a lot to ask to be back to normal in 4 weeks ( come Wednesday) just need to know what is normal and what is not!
HELP....freezing in Texas at 68 degrees! LOL
Joon

Toronto, Canada

#12 Mar 25, 2008
Sad, but true! Be happy it's only 68 degrees where you are. Try a heating pad, or hot bag (that you microwave) to warm up your knee. You are doing VERY well at four weeks. Good work! Joon
patt

Fort Worth, TX

#13 Mar 25, 2008
Hey there....it is good to know that the chill is something that has been heard of before...I am dissappointed that my Doc did not go over these things with me prior to or post surgery......I thought I was going crazy.......he has not even stress REHAB......altho....I am doing it myself, because I have been unable to drive per MD orders ( you would thing he would have thought of that, and since they are in the $$$ making business would provide shuttle at a fee)
But so far so good...been rehabin myself at my pace and think I am doing pretty good. Any suggestions on the most important exercises....so far I have increased my walk to 1/2 mile as of today, can lie flat with no pain....and bend 90 degees........but would like to get to 130 degrees...have a recumbant bike but afraid to use it to soon
Thanks for any suggestions that come my way.....and just for the record this surgery ( despite the lack of info given me, but a great surgeon) was the best thing I have done for myself in a LONG LONG TIME....at 50 years old I was not able to keep up with the rest of the family at any events......could not stand for any amount of time, no sleep due to pain......BEST THING I HAVE DONE..........god bless Patt
Lynn in LA

New York, NY

#14 Mar 27, 2008
Hi,

Question: I had a full knee replacement last Feb and have had no unusual or unexpected issues. I just started doing the "Super Slow" method and am doing the leg press but it occured to me since you do it at a very high weight and VERY slowly to gain the benefit of using the muscle for the entire excersise and not gravity or momentum as in standard weight work maybe that can cause issues. Don't know for sure. Has anyone been doing the leg press? Any issues?

Thanks,

Lynn
Muriel

Harleysville, PA

#15 Apr 4, 2008
Hi my name is Muriel. I'm from Phila. Pa. I had double knee replacement in December 2007. I had a week of Rehab before I left the hospital. Also I just finished two months of PT. He should have sugested it for you. You are going to need some PT if you want to get 130 degrees because you aren't going to do it by yourself. I'm at 111 degrees on my right and 107 degrees on my left which is my weaker leg. And you should be at 0 degrees which your legs flat. I would talk to your Doctor about PT. You will enjoy it and it will be good for you.However don't do your bike until you check with him. If you would like to wou can e-mail me at mbrown@dciu.org. Again good luck.
patt wrote:
Hey there....it is good to know that the chill is something that has been heard of before...I am dissappointed that my Doc did not go over these things with me prior to or post surgery......I thought I was going crazy.......he has not even stress REHAB......altho....I am doing it myself, because I have been unable to drive per MD orders ( you would thing he would have thought of that, and since they are in the $$$ making business would provide shuttle at a fee)
But so far so good...been rehabin myself at my pace and think I am doing pretty good. Any suggestions on the most important exercises....so far I have increased my walk to 1/2 mile as of today, can lie flat with no pain....and bend 90 degees........but would like to get to 130 degrees...have a recumbant bike but afraid to use it to soon
Thanks for any suggestions that come my way.....and just for the record this surgery ( despite the lack of info given me, but a great surgeon) was the best thing I have done for myself in a LONG LONG TIME....at 50 years old I was not able to keep up with the rest of the family at any events......could not stand for any amount of time, no sleep due to pain......BEST THING I HAVE DONE..........god bless Patt
Muriel Philadelphia Pa

Harleysville, PA

#16 Apr 4, 2008
Hi Pat my name is Muriel. I live in Phila. Pa. I just had double knee replacement in December 2007.
I spent one week or REHAB before I left the hospital. Also I just finished two months of PT. on March 31. Your Dr. should have sugested it to you. Ask him when you go for your 6 week check up. I have 111 degrees in my right leg and 107 degrees in my left leg which is my weaker leg. Also I can stretch -3 degrees in my right and -5 in my left you should be 0. Just continue to stretch and bend your knee. Also don't use the bike until you see your Dr. I'm glad you are doing well. If I can help you with anything else you can e-mail at mbrown@dciu.org. I hope that this information was a help to you.
jim

Fairbanks, AK

#17 Apr 23, 2008
I had right knee replacement feb 5, and have been doing PT since. I was bowlegged, this was straightened, but I have had extreme difficulty getting past 95 degrees. what can I do??? Im doing flex, doing biking, doing total extension, and doing a knee bending ex on the total gym , and doing 2-3 2 hr sessions per day help9675
Joon

Birmingham, UK

#18 Apr 24, 2008
Jim, Good grief! You are just at two months post op, and freaking out already!!! Give yourself a break. It's good that you are motivated and all, but the body can only recover at its own pace. Also, you had some serious correction to straighten your leg, this means a bone adjustment. Slow down. You know how to do all the exercise, now stop being so demanding and let your body heal. Many TKRs don't make the passing grade (according to the surgeons) and surpass 95 degrees before 5 months! I didn't... but now I'm fine. Keep at your exercise, but set your sights further into the future! Cheers! Joon
Sharon

Port Charlotte, FL

#19 Apr 25, 2008
Pat - I had bilateral knee replacement August 07 - I have the Journey Knee done with computer aided.
I have no reaction to the cold. I was in Michigan
in December for two and a half weeks. I also had
120 degree and 110 degree the first week. I think
the home therapy and the out patient PT was very
important. I also had my PT done with leg weights
at two weeks. Then on to the weight machine for
the next 8 weeks. After that it was home therapy.
I also have a hip replacement. The walking was the number one exercise for the hip replacement but for the knees the resistance and the weight
exercises were very important. Another thing I
did not see in your note was the massage therapy which was very important after each PT session.
Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself. At
12 weeks you will see a huge difference.
patt wrote:
Hey there....it is good to know that the chill is something that has been heard of before...I am dissappointed that my Doc did not go over these things with me prior to or post surgery......I thought I was going crazy.......he has not even stress REHAB......altho....I am doing it myself, because I have been unable to drive per MD orders ( you would thing he would have thought of that, and since they are in the $$$ making business would provide shuttle at a fee)
But so far so good...been rehabin myself at my pace and think I am doing pretty good. Any suggestions on the most important exercises....so far I have increased my walk to 1/2 mile as of today, can lie flat with no pain....and bend 90 degees........but would like to get to 130 degrees...have a recumbant bike but afraid to use it to soon
Thanks for any suggestions that come my way.....and just for the record this surgery ( despite the lack of info given me, but a great surgeon) was the best thing I have done for myself in a LONG LONG TIME....at 50 years old I was not able to keep up with the rest of the family at any events......could not stand for any amount of time, no sleep due to pain......BEST THING I HAVE DONE..........god bless Patt
jim

Fairbanks, AK

#20 Apr 25, 2008
Joon wrote:
Jim, Good grief! You are just at two months post op, and freaking out already!!! Give yourself a break. It's good that you are motivated and all, but the body can only recover at its own pace. Also, you had some serious correction to straighten your leg, this means a bone adjustment. Slow down. You know how to do all the exercise, now stop being so demanding and let your body heal. Many TKRs don't make the passing grade (according to the surgeons) and surpass 95 degrees before 5 months! I didn't... but now I'm fine. Keep at your exercise, but set your sights further into the future! Cheers! Joon
tnxs joon, I needed to here that from somebody that been there. I wish there were more reports on the web of peoples actual experiences.If I dont gain in rom each week, Im not going to panic tnx again jim

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Post Revision TKA swelling and pain 14 hr jrris 5
Is Bonesmart.org Worthwhile? (Jan '14) 23 hr Tennessee 71
Foot drop after total knee (Aug '11) Dec 14 kristy 22
grinding noise starting 9 months after TKR (Oct '11) Dec 14 Peter- Stuart-FL 36
Surfing After a TKR (Dec '07) Dec 14 tango 13
Knee replacement pain 9 months post-op (Feb '10) Dec 13 kaivaramram 398
After total knee still swollen and feels hot to... (Sep '12) Dec 13 bev5985 49
More from around the web