Otis Knee
beesknees

East Orange, NJ

#21 Jun 24, 2009
more --I am female, age 58, tennis, golf, biking and hiking hobbies.

Since: Jun 09

Pascoag, RI

#22 Jun 24, 2009
beesknees wrote:
RTKR otis knee custom fit surgery on may 18, 2009 in pa. with highly experienced surgeon. Went directly home. no complications, was on tylenol after about a week. Driving at 3 weeks, and meeting recovery goals easily. very happy with outcome
Thanks so much for the reply! I'm still up in the air but my Dr. wants me to go this route! I have a friend though that says that there is no way that I can get away with no physical therapy! Did you have it? If so, how long will you have to have PT? Maybe I shouldn't read everything on line because sometimes I get discouraged. I am thinking though of waiting until after the hot summer months! Will have to decide soon! Thanks again and keep in touch!!.......Sue

Pascoag, RI

#23 Jun 25, 2009
beesknees wrote:
more --I am female, age 58, tennis, golf, biking and hiking hobbies.
Replied to this yesterday but somehow screwed it up! Thanks for the info! I'm 64 and def. not an exercising person. Wish I had been and hope to adopt a good program. I'm still sitting on the fence about the surgery. Trying to wait until the end of the summer but 'beesknees"...I think I read too much because I'm getting confused as to which way to go: otisknee or another type. Please keep in touch. Sue
john NH

Dover, NH

#24 Jul 1, 2009
Marketing Marketing Marketing!!!

The Otis knee is just cutting blocks made to fit a patient off an MRI scan which is not a very accurate way to do it. The Otis knee also uses the anatomic axis not the mechanical axis when it manufactures the cutting blocks. So your knee is not corrected to the mechanical angle but just left in the angle which caused its failure in the first place. Wait for long term clinical data before you become the experimental patient!

Pascoag, RI

#25 Jul 1, 2009
john NH wrote:
Marketing Marketing Marketing!!!
The Otis knee is just cutting blocks made to fit a patient off an MRI scan which is not a very accurate way to do it. The Otis knee also uses the anatomic axis not the mechanical axis when it manufactures the cutting blocks. So your knee is not corrected to the mechanical angle but just left in the angle which caused its failure in the first place. Wait for long term clinical data before you become the experimental patient!
Thanks John......not what I wanted to hear but thanks anyway. Received a call today from someone who had it done and was 110% satisfied. Are you saying that it might work at the beginning but not later on?.........Sue
Len Carrier

Asheville, NC

#26 Jul 2, 2009
I had Otisknee replacement in November 2008 (right knee) and March 2009 (left knee). I started playing tennis again last month with no pain. Rehab is very important for the best result. I'm happy with my new knees.

Pascoag, RI

#27 Jul 2, 2009
Len Carrier wrote:
I had Otisknee replacement in November 2008 (right knee) and March 2009 (left knee). I started playing tennis again last month with no pain. Rehab is very important for the best result. I'm happy with my new knees.
Len, Thank you so much! I needed that! I have gotten quite a few positive replies from different people. I still read the negative ones but its a choice that I have to make. As of now it's a given that I'll go for it in the Fall. I appreciated any feedback that I get...good or bad!
Sue L.(latenightlady)
Barbara

United States

#28 Jul 6, 2009
Has anyone used Dr. Likover in Houston, TX for the Otis Knee? He seems good and his patients I spoke with are very impressed and looking forward to getting the other one done. I do realize there are no long term studies as this is a new product.
I have less than a week to decide.
John

Stoughton, MA

#29 Jul 9, 2009
I'm just about 48. I am going to have both knee's replaced (Otisknee)one at a time the first being in September. I like to bowl candlepin. Has anybody been able to bowl after this? Really! I'm not kidding!

Pascoag, RI

#30 Jul 9, 2009
John wrote:
I'm just about 48. I am going to have both knee's replaced (Otisknee)one at a time the first being in September. I like to bowl candlepin. Has anybody been able to bowl after this? Really! I'm not kidding!
So glad that you're going to do this. I've been getting positive (more than negative) reviews on the OtisKnee. Hope all will go well. I made my appt. yesterday for my first consult! From what I hear, my doctor is really strapped with so many patients waiting to be done. Guess that's a good sign. Only thing is, the longer I wait..the worse my other knee gets! Oh well....I'll just have to be patient!! Best of luck and keep us posted! I'm sure you'll be back bowling in no time at all. A friend of mine had both done at the same time and was bowling in no time!!

Since: Jul 09

Solna, Sweden

#31 Jul 9, 2009
I did alot of research on this technology as well, and on others. This is before I had one knee partially replaced, and was informed by my surgeon that a whole host of total knees are being performed, when in fact, a total knee in many instances, like mine, dont need to be replaced.

Anyhow, I looked into what was available and found out that these external alignment jigs, like otis, were just that; alignment jigs. Not a device that was specifically made for me, but a guide to put something that was available off-the-shelf into me. Thats not a bad proposition, but when I got a second opinion and was informed that only one, and possibly 2 of my 3 knee compartments were only affected by osteoarthritis, I was offered a life-changing solution; or what I thought was a life changing solution. A partial knee replacement that is designed to replicate my own specific anatomy and which did not substantially compromise nearly as much bone-stock removal as an off-the-shelf implant, like the one used with otis.

I ended up getting a bi-compartmental patient-specific resurfacing from Conformis, and not only am I pain-free, but feel more at ease that if at any point I need a revision in 10-20 years, there is more of my own anatomy to work with since more was preserved to only treat was was afflicted with osteoarthritis.:) I'm happy.

Since: Jul 09

Temecula, CA

#32 Jul 9, 2009
I did alot of research on this technology as well, and on others. This is before I had one knee partially replaced, and was informed by my surgeon that a whole host of total knees are being performed, when in fact, a total knee in many instances, like mine, dont need to be replaced.

Anyhow, I looked into what was available and found out that these external alignment jigs, like otis, were just that; alignment jigs. Not a device that was specifically made for me, but a guide to put something that was available off-the-shelf into me. Thats not a bad proposition, but when I got a second opinion and was informed that only one, and possibly 2 of my 3 knee compartments were only affected by osteoarthritis, I was offered a life-changing solution; or what I thought was a life changing solution. A partial knee replacement that is designed to replicate my own specific anatomy and which did not substantially compromise nearly as much bone-stock removal as an off-the-shelf implant, like the one used with otis.

I ended up getting a bi-compartmental patient-specific resurfacing from Conformis, and not only am I pain-free, but feel more at ease that if at any point I need a revision in 10-20 years, there is more of my own anatomy to work with since more was preserved to only treat what was afflicted with osteoarthritis.:) I'm happy.
John

Ansonia, CT

#33 Jul 10, 2009
Hello "latenightlady", thanks for the encouragement. I was worried that I would be done bowling although some of my teammates over the years would have figured it wouldn't have been a big loss anyway!.
I wanted to wait until I was at least 50 before I looked into replacements but it's been misrible last few years and there still a lot of places I want to see and they would be more enjoyable if I could actually walk around more and not feel like I shouldn't be walking at all.
I am just waiting to see if I will be kicking myself because I didn't have this done sooner. Good luck with your replacements as well.
Val Fernandez

Clintonville, WI

#34 Jul 12, 2009
Beverly Lind wrote:
Is it possible to have a list of doctors who use the Otis knee in the state of Wisconsin? Particularly in Green Bay or Appleton area..?Thank you.

I would also like to know if any doctors in Wisconsin(particularly in Green Bay or Appleton would do the Otis Knee surgery?

Pascoag, RI

#35 Jul 12, 2009
John wrote:
Hello "latenightlady", thanks for the encouragement. I was worried that I would be done bowling although some of my teammates over the years would have figured it wouldn't have been a big loss anyway!.
I wanted to wait until I was at least 50 before I looked into replacements but it's been misrible last few years and there still a lot of places I want to see and they would be more enjoyable if I could actually walk around more and not feel like I shouldn't be walking at all.
I am just waiting to see if I will be kicking myself because I didn't have this done sooner. Good luck with your replacements as well.
Oh my gosh John, you're just a kid! You'll do fine I 'm sure. I don't have any date for mine but it seems like it will be a while as my doctor is bogged down with so many already! Sept. isn't that far away........best of luck and def. keep me posted!........and a little tip: I'm sure your bowling friends will def. miss you if you don't get back there!!

Sue (latenightlady)
lighthouse01CT

Windham, CT

#36 Jul 14, 2009
Am considering otis knee replacement in CT. otherthan western CT surgeon, is there any other surgeons performing otis knee. Pls. respond ASAP.
lighthouse01CT

Windham, CT

#37 Jul 14, 2009
Pls advise if there is another certified surgeon other than western Ct doing otis knee replacement along CT shoreline

Pascoag, RI

#38 Jul 15, 2009
lighthouse01CT wrote:
Pls advise if there is another certified surgeon other than western Ct doing otis knee replacement along CT shoreline
My geography is stale.........where in Ct. are you? I had a call from someone who lives in Ct.(?) that had it done in Westerly, RI. That is where I am going.(and she is going back for her second one in Sept.) Its outside of Mystic. Hope this is of help to you!
Titianlady

Merced, CA

#39 Jul 15, 2009
I have been reading so much about the Otis Knee and have decided that this is the way I want to go. I will be having my surgery done by Dr Steven Howell, the originator of the custom knee templates, in Sacramento. I have come to the conclusion that the results of any knee replacement surgery, regardless of the technique (traditional or Custom Knee) depend on the skill of the surgeon. My advise to anyone who needs to undergo this type of surgery do their homework and get the best surgeon they can. Their skill is what makes or breaks the outcome.

Pascoag, RI

#40 Jul 15, 2009
Titianlady wrote:
I have been reading so much about the Otis Knee and have decided that this is the way I want to go. I will be having my surgery done by Dr Steven Howell, the originator of the custom knee templates, in Sacramento. I have come to the conclusion that the results of any knee replacement surgery, regardless of the technique (traditional or Custom Knee) depend on the skill of the surgeon. My advise to anyone who needs to undergo this type of surgery do their homework and get the best surgeon they can. Their skill is what makes or breaks the outcome.
Agree with you 100%. I have gotten the pros and cons of this OtisKnee and have debated over and over. My son-in-law is a surgeon and he has looked into it and thinks that it makes sense to go this route! I trust my doctor who was also the one who did a knee replacement for my nephew and a rotator cuff for my husband. Its also all in the attitude of the person having it done. I am not athletic, don't exercise and love sitting around! This is what got me into this in the first place. Now I have to make up my mind that I'm going to do anything to make this better. Plus the fact that I've probably injured my 'good' knee while babying this knee, I may have to have another done later. Good luck to you Titianlady! And keep us posted!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
5 months post op still having trouble bending k... (Feb '11) 1 hr Evelyn Dix 380
post knee replacement pain (May '06) 7 hr holly1939 1,690
3 1/2 years after TKR still with pain in knee (Jul '13) Jul 24 steve brown 109
Popping and clunking sounds coming from new knee (Jul '07) Jul 24 danny with pain 250
Zimmer Knee Replacement Jul 23 Ericaparker 1
Knee Replacement Deep Join Infection Compensation Jul 23 Ericaparker 1
blood pooling in knee after stryker tkr (Apr '12) Jul 21 jayVee 58
More from around the web