First Prev
of 26
Next Last
Sonya in Boston

New Bedford, MA

#1 Nov 11, 2007
Can one of you orthodocs tell me when the first Otis knee was done? And what the ballpark number of
replacements are in a practice at this point?

Is the Otis Knee considered (or referred to) as
Minimally Invasive?

Thank you
BoneMD

Brick, NJ

#2 Nov 11, 2007
Sonya,

Be careful with that technology. Read the other postings on this site. There are many discussions about the OtisKnee. The custom fit knee is experimental. The Otisknee has nothing at all to do with minimally invasive. The Otisknee has to do with how you cut the bone. It can be done through traditional or mini techniques. Most surgeons using the technology are making claims that are misleading.

http://www.topix.com/forum/health/knee-replac...
Maury Hull

Davis, CA

#3 Feb 21, 2008
Sonya in Boston wrote:
Can one of you orthodocs tell me when the first Otis knee was done? And what the ballpark number of
replacements are in a practice at this point?
Is the Otis Knee considered (or referred to) as
Minimally Invasive?
Thank you
The first Otis knee was done in January 2006. I recall the date well because I assisted with the development of the method and attended the first 15 or 20 surgeries. More than 5000 Otis knees have been done at this time. The procedure can be minimally invasive but is not necessarily. The size of the incision depends on the surgeon doing the procedure.
Bob

Middletown, RI

#4 Mar 20, 2008
Had mine done on Jan.31,'07. Seven weeks later I finished therapy with a therapist assisted range of motion of 132 degrees, and 115 deg. on my own. Was able to ride my motorcycle after 6 weeks.

Still have stiffness, especially late in the day. Still experience some swelling late in the day.

I will need to continue exercises on my own for some time to keep and improve the range of motion, and regain full strength in the leg. Am 67 yrs. old.
Joan Giniel

El Dorado Hills, CA

#5 Jun 5, 2008
Question: Is this Otis Knee Replacememt a good option for a very active person? I would not want to lose my ability to cycle, hike, carry a 30 lb backpack, etc. I am 65 and not ready to "hang it up" but l600mg of Advil a day is not cutting the pain anymore. For now, I have a stomach of steel but how long can I count on that? I had to give up ultra running two years ago following meniscus surgery in both knees. MRI indicated level 4 osteoarthritis in both knees. Help!
carol succasunna NJ

Parsippany, NJ

#6 Jul 5, 2008
I am 15 days out today from bi lateral replacement.. I feel once I had the right meds on board after surgery .. my recovery was fsster than many at rehab facility with traditional surgery. I have a delay in therapy due to insurance and still feel very stiff.I feel depressed . Doing some exercise but not without more pain medicine... Hope I'm on the right track..Thanks p.s. I am 70 years old
Lynn Cody

Salem, MA

#7 Jul 13, 2008
I have a question. What are the benefits of the Otis Knee compared to the traditional total knee replacement and what is (are) the downside (s)?
Thank you
Bob R

Middletown, RI

#8 Jul 25, 2008
6 months later, old arthritic pain all gone, butknee still stiff, and hurts like heck if you trip. Does not feel like it will ever be normal again, despite daily stretching and bending exercise.
Wendy D

New London, CT

#9 Nov 29, 2008
I had an Otisknee implanted in my right leg 3 1/2 weeks ago. I went to a Dr in Danbury (western Connecticut), Dr Robert Deveney, who has done about 200 Otis knees. I left the hospital in 3 days, and went directly to Outpatient PT, no rehab or home care. At this time I have 102 degrees flexion when the knee is pushed, but only 92 on my own. I still have a lot of pain, some swelling, am walking with a cane most of the time, but I am pleased with the recovery. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I am 59 years old. The cartilage in my knee was broken by a large ganglion, and then removed, when I was 16, so this is the first time in my adult life that I have had a full knee. I did a lot of research to find just the right knee and surgeon.
Wendy D

New London, CT

#10 Nov 29, 2008
Lynn Cody wrote:
I have a question. What are the benefits of the Otis Knee compared to the traditional total knee replacement and what is (are) the downside (s)?
Thank you
Hi Lynn,

I didn't see a reply to your post so thought I'd step in. The traditional replacement knees for women were small men's knees. Since women have different shapes to their bones and relationship to the pelvis, my understanding is that this is a poor compromise. I *think* that the Zimmer gender knee was the first one that considered a different shape for women. After that the Otis knee came out which is not an "off the shelf" knee, but customized to the individual by a specific MRI. Do your research, and find the doctor in your area who is keeping up with the latest research, and has experience with the best kind of knee for you. Go to OtisKnee.com and then call them. Do the same with the other new knees. I drove 100 miles to go to the most experienced OtisKnee doctor in my area. Good Luck!
Joint Doc

Riverside, NJ

#11 Dec 1, 2008
Wendy,

Unfortunately you were misled. The Otismed knee is an off the shelf knee. These are not custom implants. The MRI is only used to make guides so that your surgeon can make "accurate" bone cuts.
But the actual implant used is the same as any other surgeon uses...not customized for you.

Sorry if you did not realize this. I don't use the Otismed and I think that the name and advertising are misleading.
barbara

Massapequa, NY

#12 Feb 15, 2009
my mom is 90 and has severe arthritis, both knees are shot and she s in pain 24/7. her md said she needs new knees - she is healthy otherwise. the only meds she takes are for the pain and recently zanax for her nerves. do you think that she could be a canidate for this new otis surgery or are we completely craxy?
Nurse patient advocate

Louisville, KY

#13 Mar 5, 2009
I review new technologies for my healthcare system, and the "custom built knee" is called Conformis I-Uni, I- Duo or a soon to be released i_Total. it is extremely expensive, and while promising, many payers might not choose to cover it, since it is too new to replace the current standard of care. Medicare and Medicaid pay a fixed reimbursement for ANY knee replacement, so hospitals lose money when the high cost implants are used. When they lose money, services are cut back - and consumers need to know the difference between good marketing by the manufacturers, and good evidence of better outcomes. Many devices get FDA approval, but are not necessarily equal.
cwm

Daly City, CA

#14 Mar 13, 2009
I am 8 months post op with Otis knee. Started golfing with full swing on day 28. Have no pain. Maybe a little stiff after a round but not bad and no pain. Best decision I ever made.
New Knee Sacramento

Stockton, CA

#15 Mar 21, 2009
I am a 36yr man. knee replaced aug 1st 2008. The best move I made. I still have a litte pain. But not as servier I can accually bend it and grab my pants and streach my quads after 6 months. I also bike ride 70 to 100 miles a week getting to and from work. 14 plus miles a day!!!!!!
Joint Guy in Minnestoa

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Apr 21, 2009
New Knee Sacramento wrote:
I am a 36yr man. knee replaced aug 1st 2008. The best move I made. I still have a litte pain. But not as servier I can accually bend it and grab my pants and streach my quads after 6 months. I also bike ride 70 to 100 miles a week getting to and from work. 14 plus miles a day!!!!!!
Great to hear. This technology is the first product to arrive in orthopaedics which truly offers the patient a benefit both short and long term. Examine those who conducted the study @ JOA, I've received the Journal for over 10 years- 4 cases and they publish it, that is simply B.S.

I've spoken with colleagues in California and Pennsylania where this technology is entering its 2 year of use clinically- the praise is overwhelming from both patients and surgeons.

MIS total knees/hips at 2 years only showed an increase in complications, Otis has shown already it is the future as it has shown clinically to actually be a benefit to the end user- the PATIENT.

Patricia Sears

Bilston, UK

#17 Jun 1, 2009
Would like information from any female patient how they found the Otis knee replacement compared to other knee replacements they may have had.
I am very active and am due for a right knee replacement so am obviously concerned that my activity levels are not affected.As I live in London I need as much information as possible prior to making a decision as I have also been informed there is a Flexi Gender Knee. Do you know whether the Otis knee is off the shelf or actually made to each individuals measurements?
Please email me asap.
thankyou
Beverly Lind

Sturgeon Bay, WI

#18 Jun 15, 2009
Is it possible to have a list of doctors who use the Otis knee in the state of Wisconsin? Particularly in Green Bay or Appleton area..?Thank you.

Since: Jun 09

Pascoag, RI

#19 Jun 22, 2009
New here! Very interested in the OtisKnee replacement! Need to give reply to my doctor soon. I definitely have to have something done. My knee is shot! Please.....any good or bad advice about the OtisKnee? I have read quite a bit but would rather hear from anyone who has had it done recently. Also, would appreciate hearing from anyone who had it done a while ago to see if its still doing the job! Thanks in advance!
beesknees

East Orange, NJ

#20 Jun 24, 2009
RTKR otis knee custom fit surgery on may 18, 2009 in pa. with highly experienced surgeon. Went directly home. no complications, was on tylenol after about a week. Driving at 3 weeks, and meeting recovery goals easily. very happy with outcome

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 26
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tkr swelling 2 yrs post (Jan '08) 20 hr Bob in Barberton 19
Post Knee Replacement three years 20 hr Carol 16
post knee replacement pain (May '06) Tue Connie Krontz 1,665
5 months post op still having trouble bending k... (Feb '11) Tue Lyn 4817 346
Knee Replacements with DePuy (Feb '10) Tue mare ez 92
Obese patients sometimes denied replacements fo... (May '06) Oct 18 auntiemoo 46
partial knee replacement (Aug '09) Oct 18 laf2 98

Knee Replacement People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE