partial knee replacement, postive res...

partial knee replacement, postive results??

Posted in the Knee Replacement Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sharon

Buffalo, NY

#1 Dec 27, 2008
I am 54 and am scheduled for a uni. knee replacement in Jan'09. I fit all the recommendations. The past year, the pain is much more a part of my everyday life. I need to hear from people who have had this surgery. Are you happy with the results? Has it allowed you to be more active? Would you encourage me to go ahead with it??
Joon

North Fort Myers, FL

#2 Dec 28, 2008
Sharon, this is a decision only you can make. You need to feel confident about the surgery and comfortable with the surgeon. Do your research. Had I not had both knees replaced I would not be enjoying the life I have. I was collapsing into myself and was unable to do anything. The surgery is no picnic, and the recovery is painful, slow and arduous. There is no way to make it pretty, or easy! But, given time and hard work it is worth it. Yes, there are cases that are not successful, but most things are like that. Good luck. Joon
Sharon

Buffalo, NY

#3 Dec 28, 2008
Joan, thank you for your reply. I am glad you are doing well. It sounds like you had total replacements on both knees. If this is correct, do you know anyone who have had partials? Thank you, Sharon
Ron

Stratford, CT

#4 Dec 28, 2008
Dear Sharon, I am 59. I had the this surgery Uni compartmental Nov. 21. I'm 37 days post-op and doing very well. I have 110 degree bend back of the knee (120 is the norm/goal).
I have been walking my 100lb German Shepherd once a day 1 mile for 2 weeks now.
Physical Therapy is so important. Do the work it pays off. Icing 3 times a day w/elevation.+++
The mechanical component of the surgery was flawless. The only set back was the Lovenox(blood thinner)administered post-op that caused a blood mass to develop at the surgical site. 5 days later I was back in the O.R. having the site cleaned out. An aspirin regimen was then put into the program successfully.
Remember we are all different as to how drugs affect our body. Pay attention as to how you feel and let the nurse or doctor know if you think something is not right.
I no longer have the pain I had pre-op. After 30 days I noticed a positive difference. This a true quality of life decision. I made the right choice.
Feel free to ask further questions.
Best regards, Ron
MARK

Acton, MA

#5 Dec 29, 2008
LOOKING FOR INFO ON ConforMIS i TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT
Pam

Cranston, RI

#6 Jan 12, 2009
Sharon wrote:
I am 54 and am scheduled for a uni. knee replacement in Jan'09. I fit all the recommendations. The past year, the pain is much more a part of my everyday life. I need to hear from people who have had this surgery. Are you happy with the results? Has it allowed you to be more active? Would you encourage me to go ahead with it??
Sharon---I'm 58, and had both a uni- and total knee replacement on October 21st, so I'm getting close to 3 months now. I had serious cartilage loss on the lateral side of my left knee, and my femur was leaning out toward the hip.(The right knee was bad everywhere.) I was not in horrible pain, but was becoming increasingly weak, and unable to do anything physical.
The uni device, along with ligament adjustment, has helped to straighten that leg, as well as repairing the cartilage loss. There has been some discomfort in my hip, adjusting to the correction in my gait. But since the surgery, the uni knee has healed slightly faster than the other--my range of motion is better---close to 130 degrees, as opposed to 120 degrees in the right.. And there was less swelling. However, I'd say the recovery was similar to that of the total knee. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The pain was manageable from the start---my doctor used Stryker pain pumps for 3 days post-surgery and I've never taken more than Tylenol or Advil since. I haven't used either in about 3 weeks. I've been back to my gym for water aerobics for over a month, and lately have noticed much more strength in my swimming---and walking. I'd walk more if it weren't so cold out (I live in New England). The stiffness, which has been the most difficult thing for me, is really diminishing now. I'm still in PT, until the end of the month, working on leg strength and range of motion. Don't get me wrong---there are discomforts, and difficulties sleeping for a while, but I think I did the right thing. It's good to feel that things are moving in a positive direction, instead of deteriorating.
Good luck!
Buffy

Holyoke, MA

#7 Jan 25, 2009
Sharon
I have the partial knee replacement 3 years ago, I have good days and bad. I really wish they did the total knee replacement than partial.
linda

Sterling, MA

#8 Mar 8, 2009
Sharon, I hope all went well with your surgery. I am looking at surgery and the first Dr I spoke with has suggested partial knee replacement only. I am going for another opinion this week, as i am not convinced this is the way to go -- what has your experience been thus far? Did you go ahead with the partial - and in your search for information, did you meet anyone that had to go and have a full replacement later? I would appreciate your take on things - everyone that has posted here has info that helps so much
Lara

Terre Haute, IN

#9 Mar 8, 2009
I appreciate hearing about the positive outcomes which I find inspirational. For the past year I've had knee pain and have had to cut way back on my rather aggresive walking program. Stairs are no longer a matter of going up or down(sometimes I get distracted on a landing and forget which way I'm going) but one of what method to employ - putting one foot on the step and dragging the bad leg down or risking the "normal" way and suffer the consequences. At any rate, I'm researching the pros and cons in having the bi-compartmental, Journey Deuce knee replacement instead of the full replacement. I have osteoarthritis and x-rays show cartilage damage to the medial and patella, but the outer part is pretty much intact. I'm finding it difficult to find information about this procedure since it's relatively new. A few comments here suggest that recovery for the unicompartmental is similar to that of TKR so one could assume that since two parts are involved, recovery for bi-compartmental would be about the same for TKR. Yet the benefits of having a less invasive surgery as stated in the Journey Deuce Guide would lead one to conclude that there is less pain and faster recovery. I haven't been able to find any studies using this device. Below are some of the benefits cited in the guide.
- preservation of all ligaments
- preservation of bone
- smaller incision
- decreased blood loss
- decreased post-operative pain
- faster recovery
I don't know if I'm any further in deciding which procedure to go with than when I first was confronted with surgery, although comments on this forum
are starting the debunk the faster recovery claims. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post about their recovery. No matter what kind of knee replacement, recovery seems painful, slow and difficult.
linda fry

Middleburgh, NY

#10 Mar 31, 2009
Lara wrote:
I appreciate hearing about the positive outcomes which I find inspirational. For the past year I've had knee pain and have had to cut way back on my rather aggresive walking program. Stairs are no longer a matter of going up or down(sometimes I get distracted on a landing and forget which way I'm going) but one of what method to employ - putting one foot on the step and dragging the bad leg down or risking the "normal" way and suffer the consequences. At any rate, I'm researching the pros and cons in having the bi-compartmental, Journey Deuce knee replacement instead of the full replacement. I have osteoarthritis and x-rays show cartilage damage to the medial and patella, but the outer part is pretty much intact. I'm finding it difficult to find information about this procedure since it's relatively new. A few comments here suggest that recovery for the unicompartmental is similar to that of TKR so one could assume that since two parts are involved, recovery for bi-compartmental would be about the same for TKR. Yet the benefits of having a less invasive surgery as stated in the Journey Deuce Guide would lead one to conclude that there is less pain and faster recovery. I haven't been able to find any studies using this device. Below are some of the benefits cited in the guide.
- preservation of all ligaments
- preservation of bone
- smaller incision
- decreased blood loss
- decreased post-operative pain
- faster recovery
I don't know if I'm any further in deciding which procedure to go with than when I first was confronted with surgery, although comments on this forum
are starting the debunk the faster recovery claims. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post about their recovery. No matter what kind of knee replacement, recovery seems painful, slow and difficult.
Dear Lara, I am scheduled for full knee replacement 24 - april in Boston.c The Dr is using a dePuy sigma knee of some variety -- I have full confidence in this and in him and will definitely keep you posted on my experience. The surgeon said it is going to be painful and a lot of hard work - but now that the cortisone is worn off, I can't wait to have it done.
Hank

AOL

#11 Oct 18, 2009
Lara wrote:
I appreciate hearing about the positive outcomes which I find inspirational. For the past year I've had knee pain and have had to cut way back on my rather aggresive walking program. Stairs are no longer a matter of going up or down(sometimes I get distracted on a landing and forget which way I'm going) but one of what method to employ - putting one foot on the step and dragging the bad leg down or risking the "normal" way and suffer the consequences. At any rate, I'm researching the pros and cons in having the bi-compartmental, Journey Deuce knee replacement instead of the full replacement. I have osteoarthritis and x-rays show cartilage damage to the medial and patella, but the outer part is pretty much intact. I'm finding it difficult to find information about this procedure since it's relatively new. A few comments here suggest that recovery for the unicompartmental is similar to that of TKR so one could assume that since two parts are involved, recovery for bi-compartmental would be about the same for TKR. Yet the benefits of having a less invasive surgery as stated in the Journey Deuce Guide would lead one to conclude that there is less pain and faster recovery. I haven't been able to find any studies using this device. Below are some of the benefits cited in the guide.
- preservation of all ligaments
- preservation of bone
- smaller incision
- decreased blood loss
- decreased post-operative pain
- faster recovery
I don't know if I'm any further in deciding which procedure to go with than when I first was confronted with surgery, although comments on this forum
are starting the debunk the faster recovery claims. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post about their recovery. No matter what kind of knee replacement, recovery seems painful, slow and difficult.
Lara,
I too am researching the benefits of the Journey Duece system and have an appointment in a few weeks to see if I'm a candidate. It really seems like a great system from everything I've read but I too have yet to hear from anyone who has actually had the surgery. There is one post that is extremely frightening if true. I'll let you know if I get some more information but it certainly, at this point, seems preferable to preserve much of the bone and both ACL and PCL's. Please let me know if you hear anything as well.
Hank ([email protected])
Kathy Wi

Cochrane, WI

#12 Oct 26, 2009
I had partial knee replacement one year ago and was thrilled, now I am back to having pain again. Is this common? I have no insurance so imagine it means just sucking it up but would like assurance this is normal ....or not?
Louie

Atwood, IN

#13 Feb 1, 2010
I had a partial done March or 09 and had bad problems, it was like I was walking on a peg,, had to get a full knee replacement in Dec of 09, it has been 6 weeks so far, much better, my Doctor said he would never put in a partial.
Rick M

Valley Stream, NY

#14 Mar 8, 2010
I had a Journey Deuce partial knee replacement done in Dec 2007. It was OK for about 18 months, then I started having a lot of pain in my knee. I am now much worse off than I was before the operation. It's starting to look like I'm going to have to go back and do the total knee replacement. I don't recommend the partial replacements. Very often they don't last and then you have to go back to get the full knee replacement. The worse thing about all of this is the pain and suffering that I had to experience with the first operation. Now, I have to go back and start all over. Don't do a partial. If you need a knee replacement, get the total knee done. Soon, if Obama care passes many seniors will be confined to wheel chairs since the new healthcare legislation will disallow many knee operations for people over the age of 65.
Pat

Middletown, NJ

#15 Mar 10, 2010
Rick M wrote:
I had a Journey Deuce partial knee replacement done in Dec 2007. It was OK for about 18 months, then I started having a lot of pain in my knee. I am now much worse off than I was before the operation. It's starting to look like I'm going to have to go back and do the total knee replacement. I don't recommend the partial replacements. Very often they don't last and then you have to go back to get the full knee replacement. The worse thing about all of this is the pain and suffering that I had to experience with the first operation. Now, I have to go back and start all over. Don't do a partial. If you need a knee replacement, get the total knee done. Soon, if Obama care passes many seniors will be confined to wheel chairs since the new healthcare legislation will disallow many knee operations for people over the age of 65.
I had a journey deuce had pain for a year finally had to get a total replacement it turned out the partial was broken and didn't show up on the xray. I asked to keep the knee before the surgery so I have it now. Contact me at [email protected]
Pat

Middletown, NJ

#16 Mar 10, 2010
If anyone else has had problems with the Journey Deuce contact me at [email protected]
BAC

Absecon, NJ

#17 Apr 11, 2010
I had the Journey Deuce knee done in January 2008 and have had nothing but pain since. I had times when it felt better and I thought, thank God it is going to get better, then if I was on it for a long period of time, it became more painful again. I was told the implant moved and my leg fractured, but, it would get better(I believed) it didn't get better got worse, much worse. Two years later I can't walk without severe pain, it is worse then when I had the operation. I can't walk without a walker. You do what your doctor recommends and hope that he knows what he is talking about. I made the final decision, however, I listened to the doctor, who seemed confident about the Journey Deuce. Don't get this you will be sorry and the pain from the operation and physical therapy is the same as if you had a total knee replacement. I now need to have the total knee replacement and have lost 2 years of my life. I am not young anymore and it really makes me angry that I was put through that along with the pain, suffering and missing many family functions because of it. Be smart, have the total knee done the Journey Deuce is not worth it.
MarcT

Kahului, HI

#18 Jun 5, 2010
I had a Uni done in July 2008. My doctor refused to give me a TKR since I was only 48 at the time. Full recovery was over 2 months and it took months before the pain was completely manageable without Aleve or Tylenol. The stiffness from sitting or walking too long has always been there and now, after 2 years, it's starting to get very painful again to the point of where I'm back on OTC painkillers daily. My two-year post surgery follow-up is coming soon so I'll see what the doctor says. At my one-year follow up I had a few complaints and he mentioned there would have been greater stability in the knee if I had had a TKR. All in all, my knee is better than it was pre-surgery but I've never been totally satisfied with the Uni and now realize a TKR may be coming in the near future.
Donna

Savannah, MO

#19 Jun 28, 2010
Pat wrote:
If anyone else has had problems with the Journey Deuce contact me at [email protected]
I got a Journey Deuce knee in August of 2007. Last year (2009) in September, x-ray was taken, I found out the bottom plate had cracked or fractured. In May (2010) of this year I had another xray and the bottom plate had split and dropped down in a V shape. I am scheduled in August of this year for a total knee replacement. Very disappointed in the product from Smith and Nephew,trying to get them to pay for the replacement. What has been your response from Smith and Nephew.
Pat

Middletown, NJ

#20 Jul 5, 2010
Donna wrote:
<quoted text>
I got a Journey Deuce knee in August of 2007. Last year (2009) in September, x-ray was taken, I found out the bottom plate had cracked or fractured. In May (2010) of this year I had another xray and the bottom plate had split and dropped down in a V shape. I am scheduled in August of this year for a total knee replacement. Very disappointed in the product from Smith and Nephew,trying to get them to pay for the replacement. What has been your response from Smith and Nephew.
Save your knee mine is getting tested to see if it is a problem with the metal. I'm waiting for the results any day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BIOMET Knee system problems with popping, click... (May '11) 19 hr Sherrie 45
3 1/2 years after TKR still with pain in knee (Jul '13) Mon Blaine 110
Knee replacement pain 9 months post-op (Feb '10) Mon RiccardoFire 434
JAS for stiffness (Apr '14) Aug 29 hospitalmistake 2
Continuing knee pain (Feb '15) Aug 27 Raylin Sutter 26
MAKOplasty Partial Knee Replacement Questions Aug 26 Marie 8
Tightness around knee after replacement (Mar '12) Aug 25 Cyndie 111
More from around the web