Double Knee Replacement Post-Op Question
Pamela 4-20-12

Marion, VA

#1730 Feb 3, 2012
Ha! I'm glad you asked that Ricki...I was reading Heather's comment about having surgery on Wed. Feb. 2nd and she WROTE it on Feb. 2nd.... I know they are at least a day ahead of us here in the USA, but maybe its Feb. 9th ?? I dunno. Take care you guys.!!
Kathy 11-2-11

Okeechobee, FL

#1731 Feb 4, 2012
Pamela and Ann
I have both knees done at the same time on Nov 2,2011. A little over 12 weeks ago. I have Styker parts. I could not be happier. My incisions are about 6 inches long but I don't think it was minimally invasive surgery. I was in the hospital for three nights and then moved upstairs at the hospital for rehab. I was supposed to be in rehab for a week, but after four days, I had met the goals and the insurance company wouldn't let me stay any longer. I went home and continued with our patient surgery for three days per week at a co-pay of $55 each time.
I have Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance. I have a high deductible of $1500 and out of pocket expenses of $4500. This was all I had to pay to the hospital and then another $1300 to the doctor.
My entire bill was $127,000 and the insurance only allowed $41,000. The hospital wrote off over $84,000 but since I had already met my out of pocket expenses for the year, I didn't have to pay anything but the out of pocket and the deductible.

I was only out of work for 6 weeks. By the time I went back to work, I was walking by myself without a walker or a cane. My job basically is a sit down job so it will all depend on what your doctor says about when to go back to work.

My legs were so bowed out before the surgery and I was in a lot of pain. Now the legs are straight and I am pain free. I had very little pain after the surgery. I was so glad I had both done at the same time. I couldn't imagine having to go through the process twice.

My recovery was different from normal double knee replacement recovery. I was the exception after the surgery. My doctor told me I defied everything he knew about the recovery of someone with the double knee replacements.

Read through the posts, I did, before my surgery and these people really helped to get through the surgery and the recovery.

We are all here to help. Ask any question and we will answer.

We look forward for you to tell us about your surgeries.

Heather

Scarborough, Australia

#1732 Feb 6, 2012
Hi there...sorry to have confused you with the date...I go into hospital this afternoon and my DKR will be done tommorrow on Wed.8th Feb.
My surgeon says I will be in hospital about five days but I haven't heard anything about rehab. over here like I have read on this site from others...I think the physio just shows me what to do in hospital then I fend for myself when I get home with the exercises...
My lovely husband is on leave so he will no doubt take very good care of me...he's a great cook and makes lovely cups of tea !
By the way I like to sleep on either side...will I need to sleep on my back with both knees done ? Very glad your surgery went so well for you :)
Ooooohh that 'Zip Line' sounds like fun Ricki :)
Kathy ...I am hoping to only have six weeks off work...my job as a Receptionist is basically sitting all day...how did you go with movement and exercise back at work?

Since: Sep 11

Spanish Fort, AL

#1733 Feb 6, 2012
heather,i was a side sleeper and now am a back sleeper!!--you can sleep on your side,you just have to angle your knees so they are not on top of each other. i had a special pillow to put between my knees/thighs to keep them apart.---the first time i was able to sleep on my side was about a week and a half after surgery.
Ricki 9-15-10

Colorado Springs, CO

#1734 Feb 6, 2012
I am a sleeper anyway but my back. my dear husband formed a nest of sorts with four or five pillows and sleeping on my back worked. You are in my prayers. Let us know.
Heather

Scarborough, Australia

#1735 Feb 6, 2012
Thanks for that Suzy...i'm just about to head off to the hospital for my new knees adventure... ;)
Follmerpa

Saint Paul, MN

#1736 Feb 13, 2012
I am having my DKR on Wednesday Feb.15th. I am 47 and a construction worker. I have had many scopes done and am bone on bone both knees. I have been doing the same work for 27 years. Doc said I may not be able to do the same work again,he said I may want to consider SSI disability. Does any one here have this?

Thank You all so much for sharing your stories. I wish I found this blog months ago.

Paul

Spanish Fort, AL

#1737 Feb 13, 2012
follmerpa- wish you had found this site months ago also!--heard ssi disability is hard to get,but,if your dr. suggests it, i would do what i could to make that happen. don't know your age,but,if you are like most of us,we pay into ssi and will never get much of a return on our money!
Ricki 9-15-10

Pueblo, CO

#1738 Feb 13, 2012
Paul. Sure you are young. Sure these replacement knees last around twenty years. So you may be my age when you go again. I actually know someone who has replaced the replacements and is doing great. As for construction. You won't be kneeling much. Just for an instant to get up off the floor. But you can do tons of work. You will be modifying how you do things. But you likely will work. SSI is for folks who can't function I think. I would put money on your being better than you are today!!! I will be praying for you and your doc. Please check back and let us know your story.
Heather

Scarborough, Australia

#1739 Feb 13, 2012
Hi all....home now after five days in hospital...put me on the CPM machine daily and showed me some exercises to do both in and out of hospital...everything went well they all kept telling me I was doing exceptionally well for having the two done at once...a nurse will actually come over on Saturday to remove the staples (sixty in all)...I think the biggest thing to get used to is that I now have straight legs ! I've read about other people saying this but they look so different it's like I have someone elses legs on, i'm glad I have taken photos along the way that shows the difference...I have a pedal exerciser which is just bike pedals without the bike ...they just sit on the floor and i sit on a dining room chair and position my chair as needed...i'm finding this very good and easy to work with, I just sit there comfortably and read a book
My Husband is taking excellant care of me just as I knew he would 'bless his big cotton socks'
So the DKR would never have happened if I had not come across this site and had the help and advise from all you lovely people out there...
I will keep you up to date on my progress :)
Pamela58 4-20-12

Marion, VA

#1740 Feb 14, 2012
It really is wonderful to hear your success Heather ! I'm so glad things went well. It makes me have a much better outlook on my upcoming surgery on March 20th. I am still trying to lose weight prior to the surgery. They told me that every pound I lose equals 4 lbs. off my knees :)
So far, I've taken about 26 lbs off my knees and I can really feel the difference ! Maybe if I could lose about 60 lbs I wouldn't NEED the surgery !! LOL Nah, as good as it would be for my overall health, my knees have been 'shot' for many years and its taken my suffering all those years to get to this point where I have the courage to have them done. Thanks to all the kind words and direction of everyone on this site !
Ricki 9-15-10

Pueblo, CO

#1741 Feb 14, 2012
Heather, great news!!! You are right on target. I had those pedals too. Good motion for those knees. Motion helps keep swelling down and circulation going. I'm sure you are icing and elevating. Yay!!!
Ricki 9-15-10

Pueblo, CO

#1742 Feb 14, 2012
Pamela, yay!!! You are so smart to attack the weight now. So you have a little over a month. Heather will help you by posting her progress. It is so good to have a buddy going through the same thing. Excellent work!!!

Spanish Fort, AL

#1743 Feb 14, 2012
way to go heather!keep moving and you will continue to do great!!pamela, you will do fine also!

Since: Feb 12

Saint Paul, MN

#1744 Feb 14, 2012
Ok Im nervous surgery is 5 30 am central time. I pray all goes well. My wife will be bringing me my computer on Friday I will check back then and update. Thanmk you all for your support.

paul
Ricki 9-15-10

Peyton, CO

#1745 Feb 15, 2012
Paul I prayed for you and your docs. I will be watching for your post. By the way. To a person the days before we were all nervous. When you check in Friday I bet the nerves are gone replaced by determination. You can do this. It's work but you will get your life back.
Pamela58 4-20-12

Abingdon, VA

#1746 Feb 17, 2012
Still hoping to hear from you Paul, to see how things went. I sure hope you are doing great !
My little dog and I get out and walk at least a mile every day (when the temps and precipitation allow) but its really hard going down the little hills. I can go UP pretty easy, but going DOWN is a pill ! Same with ramps or stairs. I'll be SO relieved and happy to have these poor old knees working right again !!

Spanish Fort, AL

#1747 Feb 17, 2012
YES pamela--down hills were terrible. when you get your new knees you will be so thankful.everytime i go down hill i have to say,"thank-you Jesus for my new knees"!!!
Heather

Hillarys, Australia

#1748 Feb 21, 2012
Hi all...seems my last two posts haven't uploaded...but i'm still here and it's been two weeks since the op ...movement is good...pain at times is quite excruiating...i'm walking well but slowly with crutches or a walker...had staples out two days ago ... about 48 were fine but about 12 of them hurt 'like hell'...my husband gave me some 'well done' stickers so that's ok :)
Paul you have recently had yours done how are you going with the recovery?
Pamela that's good you can still walk that far each day...mine got down to about one hundred metres before i was nearly in tears...:(
But already my actual knees feel fine it's the rest of my legs that are painful with all the invasive proceedure they have had...feel to me like they've been run over with a steamroller...so glad i have had them both done though as everything is on the mend now :)

Spanish Fort, AL

#1749 Feb 22, 2012
yea heather!--you are on the mend!! i had conective tissue pain for quite a while. i think because i had not had my legs fully extended in so long, all the muscles,tendons ligaments, had to stretch! if you are not there yet, you soon will be so much better than you were before surgery! keep up the pt,and the very best to you!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pain after partial knee replacement (Aug '10) 5 hr John 250
total knee replacement problems (Dec '12) Aug 18 VAV 48
"Vanguard™ Complete Knee System" by Biomet? (Oct '07) Aug 17 Tammy 226
Fluid on knee ten months of TKR (Oct '11) Aug 16 SteveDarragh 36
Lack of stamina after knee replacement (Jul '11) Aug 15 Larry 66
post knee replacement pain (May '06) Aug 12 Abshorsemom 1,702
News Insurers accused of 'ageism' with extra charges... Aug 12 Still in pain 1
More from around the web