Posted in the Knee Replacement Forum

First Prev
of 128
Next Last
Kels

Pembroke, MA

#1 Jul 29, 2008
Hi,

My mother is 50 years old and had a double total knee replacement on May 14th. She did really well with her recovery. And now? Several weeks post-op she is experiencing a lot of pain ABOVE the knees.. on the front & back. Her muscles or tendons or something hurts a lot.. She can't stand for too long either, because of the pain and her feet are also feeling tight.

Has anyone else had a total double knee replacement? Has anyone experienced something like this with their TKR's at all?

How much longer until the pain she is experiencing goes away?? And is there anything she can do in the meantime?

Thanks!
Kels

Pembroke, MA

#2 Jul 30, 2008
Anyone??
Janice

Charleston, WV

#3 Jul 31, 2008
I also had bilateral knee replacement on 6/30/08 and continue to have a lot of pain. The tendon on the outside of the left knee really hurts as well as the bone/muscles/tendons/whatever above each knee. I'm not sure what it is as I have not seen the doctor since my discharge. I'm hoping each day that it gets better. Hope your mother does too.
Joon

Orillia, Canada

#4 Aug 1, 2008
Good grief Kels!
You Mum had a double TKR less than 3 months ago!!! That's a huge hit! Even if she had on one knee replaced,(or even if she broke a bone) it would take longer than 3 months to recover! She is injured! It will hurt, she will have pain, be fatigued, and exercise, and standing will be tedious! So many moving parts have to be altered in a TKR. She should be resting and elevating her knees above her heart,(I do this lying on my back with both legs up the wall). Ice and heat will alternately sooth and reduce swelling. Encourage her to go into the pool with someone, where she will be weightless, and therefore incur less discomfort. She should try walking forward and backward as she feels capable. Once her muscles begin to respond she can do more elaborate exercises, but for the moment she is still on the injured list. It's frustrating, but you can't rush this type of healing! Just keep those new knees moving. All the best. Cheers! Joon
Susan

Campbell River, Canada

#5 Sep 21, 2008
Hi Joan,
Thankyou so much for you touching reply!!! I think we all need encouragement after an operation like that!! My knees have been bad for several years now, and I am really looking forward to having a better life after this surgery!! I am going in on October 6th, so please have some good karma, prayers, whatever positive affirmation for me!!! I presume that you have had the surgery, and have been frustrated, happy, unsure and have finally moved forward. I would really like to talk to you, on my e-mail. Would you please reply, and let me know how you are doing, and stay with me until my recovery, I would really, appreciate it!!!
Thanks
Susan
A little frightened in Vancouver!!
BJKnapp@telus.net or ca, not sure!
Pattie Westminster MD

Westminster, MD

#6 Oct 2, 2008
I am 49 had bilateral TKR 9/15/08 and as of today am walking with a cane and pain. My question is that my legs are anxious when I am lying in bed and night and I must rub them to somehow soothe them (it doesn't really work but ???) I know there is much healing going on and that is normal but is there anything I can rub on my legs or a pill to reduce this "anxious" feeling I take Tylenol EX for the pain and Benadryl to sleep at night. I have had patients with anxiety syndromes that take Valium for their "nerves" is this ridiculous? Thank you
pbwbnb@aol.com
Joon

Hamilton, Canada

#7 Oct 3, 2008
Susan, yes, I have had both knees replaced! It's hard work, but most things worth while are hard work! It's almost time for your surgery. I did email the address you gave, but I did not hear from you. I hope you have been keeping as fit as possible for your upcoming surgery. That, and positive thinking can work wonders. Once post op, just keep those knees moving and in time you will feel like a new person. All the best, Joon
Joon

Hamilton, Canada

#8 Oct 3, 2008
Pattie, it is too soon for you to be wondering why you are still in pain. Your body has suffered an enormous blow. Give it time to recover. Don't get frustrated because you are still in pain. You are still injured. Vis a vis the anxious leg syndrome you describe, most TKRs experience this. There are so many parts that have to recover and nerve activity is one of the most mysterious. That and muscle memory. Elevate your legs as much as possible and for as long as you can tolerate. This will help with circulation, eliminate "pooling" which causes swelling and inflammation. Taking Valium is crazy whenever it's taken! Take what you need in order to rest, but make sure you hydrate to avoid cramping and other discomfort. Do whatever makes you feel good,(I like heat) and once you are cleared for pool work, get into that water and enjoy it! All the best. Joon
georgette

Longview, TX

#9 Oct 11, 2008
Janice wrote:
I also had bilateral knee replacement on 6/30/08 and continue to have a lot of pain. The tendon on the outside of the left knee really hurts as well as the bone/muscles/tendons/whatever above each knee. I'm not sure what it is as I have not seen the doctor since my discharge. I'm hoping each day that it gets better. Hope your mother does too.
How are you doing now? Just wanted to hear how things are going for you now.
Kels

Pembroke, MA

#10 Oct 16, 2008
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies :)

It has been 5 months since my Mom's bilateral TKR surgery and she is still using rx pain relievers. Is that too long of a time? She is trying to wean herself off of them, However as soon as she does.. She experiences RLS really bad. She takes Tylenol PM's to sleep and last night she had to take an Ambien pill because the RLS was so bad. She also had RLS after having 2 scopes done on her knees. Never before had she had it like this. Will it go away? The rx meds helped with this problem and as soon as she stops taking them, the RLS starts up again. What can she do??

Advice, please!!
Kels

Pembroke, MA

#11 Oct 16, 2008
also,

How long is too long to take RX meds for 2 TKR's ? She is worried that she'll become dependant on them.
Joon

Innisfil, Canada

#12 Oct 16, 2008
Kels, from your previous post you suggest that your Mother is taking drugs primarily to combat RLS. Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a neurological condition that is characterized by the irresistible urge to move the legs. This is disturbing for sure, however, so many nerves are disturbed or damaged in TKR that she will notice these sensations for a while. I still get some activity even after one year! Drugs are not the solution. She should try to slowly cut back on her dependence on the meds. She must keep those knees active and moving, even if she is passive. Leg slides, back and forth sitting in a chair, or at bed side. She should also try to eliminate inflammation, which agitates so much! Look up foods that help with inflammation. I love tart cherries. You can drink liquid tart cherry concentrate, or take it in capsule format. The added benefit is the melatonin the tart cherry produces naturally will assist with sleep, on top of the anti-inflammatory properties contained in the tart cherry, and big plus, it's all natural. Michigan is one of the biggest cherry producing states. Look up some of the data pertinent to this product.The Montmorency Tart Cherry is the type of cherry. Good luck. Joon
kayakuku

Williston Park, NY

#13 Oct 16, 2008
My brothr just had double knee replacement this week and I am curious if anyone can post a "typical" schedule of the first week after surgery guidelines for PT, etc......because, we have only been given the info on single knee replacement and thest two are very likely to be somewhat different. For example, Day 1 After Surgery, on our scheduled activities includes walking with a walker or cane..........and the hospital did nothing like this, but he was lifted up and put in a chair. He is a big man. Does anyone have any input regarding the use of the machines that pretty much keep the joints in a perpetual slow motion.....to keep them ....loose. We have had mixed info on the value of this method of initial rehab.
Thanks
Jule

Saint Catharines, Canada

#14 Oct 30, 2008
I am a 52yrs old and it is coming up to a year in Dec. since I had my double TKR. It is a lot of hard work and requires the perseverance to work through the pain/discomfort. But, it does get better! It gets much better and 10 months later,I rarely think about my knees. I'm active,(play rec. volleyball),kneel, run when I need to and walk a lot throughout the day.
It is important to follow post surgery instructions and do physiotherapy exercises daily. The knees need to be elevated when you are not standing and apply ice or a frozen bag of peas which I found worked really well. I am pain free and am so thankful I had this surgery. If you have any questions, I would be happy to talk to you through email.
Living Pain-free finally.
Jule
Joon

Fort Myers, FL

#15 Nov 1, 2008
Good work Jule! Here's a positive story for those of you who think all the posts here are negative! Cheers! Joon
Jule wrote:
I am a 52yrs old and it is coming up to a year in Dec. since I had my double TKR. It is a lot of hard work and requires the perseverance to work through the pain/discomfort. But, it does get better! It gets much better and 10 months later,I rarely think about my knees. I'm active,(play rec. volleyball),kneel, run when I need to and walk a lot throughout the day.
It is important to follow post surgery instructions and do physiotherapy exercises daily. The knees need to be elevated when you are not standing and apply ice or a frozen bag of peas which I found worked really well. I am pain free and am so thankful I had this surgery. If you have any questions, I would be happy to talk to you through email.
Living Pain-free finally.
Jule
Carol

AOL

#16 Dec 24, 2008
I just had a total double knee replacement Nov.20 th. The pain is getting much better . When i came home from the nursing for PT, now i'm doing my PT . I am in pain only after my workout and bed time , Thank God for ice and pain pills ,. My left knee was so very bad , i don't know how i stood, let alone walked on them. With all operations we will have pain . Some days the pain goes up into my butt area ... As i said , ice and we did get two bags of frozen peas ..
Glenn

Gonzales, TX

#17 Apr 23, 2009
I had double knee replacement on 3/30/09, three weeks and 3 days ago and am doing therapy three times a week. I have some swelling and tightness but very little pain. I sleep well at night and I went back to work after three weeks and walk with a cane. I stayed in the hospital for twelve days, the last 8 in rehab which I strongly recommend. My bowed legs are gone and I am a inch or two taller. I am 58 years old and very happy with my decision to do both knees at the same time. My doctor told me that I would probably be in less pain when I left the hospital than when I got there and he was right.
JIMMY

Covington, GA

#18 May 9, 2009
i really appreciate all the advice and comments on this site. i'm 53 and both my knees are killing me. i have had the cortizone, the jelly shots, physical therapy,mes, ointment, you name it, i'm tired of hurting. i have an appointment with my doctor and i'm going to insist now after hearing all these comments that he does a double replacement. it doesn't sound like anything i want to go through twice either..
thanks for listening,
jimmy
grammyb from NJ

Middlesex, NJ

#19 May 9, 2009
Jimmy,
I have had both knees done at different times, with my last one 11/7/08. When in therapy there were two people who had bi-lateral replacements and both did quite well. The woman was using a cane after only one week of therapy. The man was on a cane right after surgery. I thought they were doing great. You will be glad when it's done. Be prepared for a lot of work on your part, althought you will do good right away, it still takes time for a complete recovery. Bonnie
Robin

Garysburg, NC

#20 May 23, 2009
Thanks for the info. I'm 44 and will be having double TKR on July 21.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 128
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
surfing after bilateral knee replacement (Nov '11) 1 hr Tom from Guam 6
Knee replacement spacer revision (May '12) Jan 16 Pmbarnes1965 54
Kneeling after Tkr (Nov '09) Jan 15 Kathleen 38
Popping and clunking sounds coming from new knee (Jul '07) Jan 14 Eli 317
Post TKR week 3 (Sep '12) Jan 11 Stevenky 37
Loss of bending after knee replacement surgery ... (Aug '12) Jan 9 Jim Pittman 41
Muscle spasms following TKR (Apr '11) Jan 9 Deborah 38
More from around the web