TKR and staightening leg
JoAnn

Redmond, WA

#1 Jun 6, 2010
I had tkr on May 18th 2010. I guess I'm one of the blessed ones. I had no pain, just the horrendous ache after surgery. Left the hospital bending knee at 105. Got 120 after two weeks PT. My concern is I still can't straighten my knee. Was a 10 first PT visit and a 10 at the end of two weeks. They do manipulate it down to a 4. I've been told I am impatient, but seems to me there should be some improvement by now. Anyone else having trouble straightening their knee/leg?
Barb

AOL

#2 Jun 6, 2010
Sounds to me like you are doing great - compared to me.
I'm almost seven months from surgery and can only get to 120 on my own and 130 if the therapist tortures me.
I can straighten the leg, but still have pain and a lot of stiffness. Now I have a problem with the "good" knee. It just needs exercising so far.
I seem to spend my days doing something with these darn knees. Either on the treadmill or the incumbent bike or exercising.
This is taking me far longer than I ever anticipated and my doc says it could be a year. So I am jealous of those that are up and around and on the golf course in just a few months.
I'm not a patient person and missing not able to do the things I want and am used to doing.
Clare in New Mexico

Richmond, VA

#3 Jun 6, 2010
I had surgery on my left knee on May 3rd. I can streighten to 0 and bend on my own to 130. It achs a lot and the ache seems to go through my whole body.
In the hospital the PT folks told me to sleep with my leg streight with the heel proper up on a towel. I did this for a while but it really hurt. The PT who came to my home had me lie on my stomach on the bed with the knee just on the side and the lower leg hanging over. This was to get it streight, but also hurt like hell and I couldn't stay there for long. I used the CPM at home for 10 days after getting home from the hospital.
The leg is stiff and I get pains and ache on the lateral side of the knee and on the incision. It feels like it is pulling and tearing over the lateral femerol condyle. The PT told me I was breaking up scar tissue.
The area around the knee is very sensitive to touch. I have been massaging it with lotions, aloe vera, scar cream, massage oils, chinese oils and anything that has healing properties. The massage helps it to feel better and so does a hot shower.
Just keep doing your stretches and exercises. Even though they seem like torture they do help and you will improve. The big problem is scar tissue, so keep up the good work!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Post TKR week 3 (Sep '12) 3 hr Rosakinda60 36
knee pain after a knee revision (Jun '10) Nov 19 Molly bbq 44 147
Post Knee Replace. Success Stories: Marathons, ... (Apr '09) Nov 18 Tim 26
Twisted knee after total knee replacement (Apr '15) Nov 18 Shannon Barnes 6
aesculap columbus knee system (Aug '11) Nov 18 consumersafetywatch 13
pain after partial knee replacement (Aug '10) Nov 15 Jill 254
Popping and clunking sounds coming from new knee (Jul '07) Nov 13 Ricans rule 314
More from around the web