clover south carolina

Charlotte, NC

#43 Dec 8, 2009
Well had the surgery to find the snapping problem in the back of my knee. The Dr released my popliteal tendon and he found a lot of other stuff in there that the other 2 Drs should have taken out. He said he could tell it was from my original injury over a year and a half ago. He hoped this would fix the problem. Have been up and about for 3 days now and I can say.........the problem is not fixed! So I guess it is the other tendon he can't see with the scope that has to come out now. That requires opening up the knee.Will see the Dr on the 17th and will let y'all know what he says.
tootoo

Madison, WI

#44 Dec 12, 2009
I have a stryker triathalon knee replacement. I feel a pop when I go down stairs but otherwise the knee has been great. I have had the knee for 2 years now. I have very little pain now but before the surgery I could not walk without tears in my eyes because of the knee pain. I would recommend the stryker triathalon knee to everyone I know.
clover south carolina

Charlotte, NC

#45 Dec 30, 2009
Did not see Dr on 17th. Saw the DA to get stitches out and told to start PT and we will see what happens. Started PT today. Knee has blown up like a basketball. Pain still in the back of knee and in the MCL area. PT therapist didn't think the knee should be making the loud popping noise it was. Oh well! We will continue and see the doc on 1/28. The adventure continues.........will let you know.
troy

Humble, TX

#46 Jan 11, 2010
I am 5 weeks out from a tkr. saw my dr today and tolod him about the pop when walking he also said i would get used to it. do all replacements pop? im not sure

“ Now....John 49”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#47 Jan 11, 2010
troy wrote:
I am 5 weeks out from a tkr. saw my dr today and tolod him about the pop when walking he also said i would get used to it. do all replacements pop? im not sure
Hi Troy, I am just about 4 months post TKR. I still hear or at least feel snapping (popping) frequently. It doesn't seem to bother anything at all, it's just there.
John
Jack625

Yorktown Heights, NY

#48 Jan 11, 2010
Popping and clicking are normal and will go away as the muscles around your knee strengthen. I am three years out of TKR and have been through all this. Keep on icing and do your PT and you'll be fine.
Jack
clover south carolina

Charlotte, NC

#49 Jan 14, 2010
Well popping and clicking might be normal in your book but far be it in mine. After 8 months and 1 more operation and PT 3 times a week my knee should be quiet as a church mouse. My thigh and calf muscles are in better shape than when I played sports as a young man.I am in PT now with 7 other TKR patients and not one of theirs make a peep. So don't tell me it is normal!I also know a handful of folks who are 4 and 5 years out and theirs are pop free.
larry

Columbia, MO

#50 Jan 15, 2010
i had the johnson and johnson rotating platform knee replacement on feb 23, 2009...i did pop and crack for about 3 months....i worked it very hard in rehab...and continue in the gym...i also try to bike 10 miles per day...last summer i was able to play competitive doubles tennis and golf...i have found that more i exercise and use it...the better it is...if i don't it will get stiff...i think the key is serious and intensive rehab...i am 64...larry
David P

Winston Salem, NC

#51 Jan 19, 2010
Mike from Toronto wrote:
Hello All:
Well, it's been just over 6 weeks now on my right TKR and like the subject line says, my knee pops, clicks, clunks and makes a variety of other sounds as well.
To be honest, there is some pain associated with the noises but I've had knee problems since the age of 9 and now I'm 41 and this was my 6th surgery so the pain is nothing new.
What I do find disturbing is the fact that my Dr. says that it is not uncommon for these "prosthetics" to make some noise. The x-rays are fine.
Okay, so I am not an expert on TKR but I am a General Contractor by trade and I do know that if something pops and clicks, that usually means that it is not wearing properly and the life expectancy of the said item is usually reduced. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please but like I said, I do know my mechanics.
I was under the impression that after the procedure, the noises would stop but at times at home, my wife actually asks me if the noise that she hears is my knee and when I say yes, she cringes just at the thought of it.
Can someone comment on this as to if this is something I should be worried about or is this as common as my Dr, says it is and will not affect the life expectancy of my knee...
Yours Truly
Mike V
It has been Iyr since my TKR and mine pop's (loud)catches,stays swollen,and is painful.The doctor that did my surgery referred me to another Doctor in the same practice.The second doctor is telling me he would have to go back into the knee clean out the scar tissue AND replace the plastic spacer that is in between the hinge portion,he says sometimes the piece is to small and that causes the popping!This is the reason I didn't do both knees at the same time,I was afraid there might be problems from others I know.Some people do seem to do better than others though.
Judy in CA

Cathedral City, CA

#52 Jan 19, 2010
res00 wrote:
I'm an orthopedic surgeon it's common to hear some noise but it shouldn't be painful or unstable or very loud.
I too have a DuPuy flex knee and have what seems to be a patellar clunking problem. There is pain and a catching of my knee when I have it flexed and then try to extend it (e.g. lying on my back doing knee to chest back exercises and then lifting to stretch ham string). My doc went back in 6 mos. after my 5/08 TKR and removed scar tissue and did some tweeking of the kneecap but now says the only way to correct the problem (I have fallen once) is to do a revision. Yikes! Is there a growing problem with the new DuPuy hi flex Knee?
steve

Dublin, CA

#53 Feb 5, 2010
I am 4 months post OP TKR right knee. the first three months were fine, the last 30 days have been miserable. the right outer side of the knee is extremely painful, due to what I am told is a large piece of scar tissue. I too am told the popping, grinding and clicking is normal, however the crepitis in the knee cap is not. Range of motion is fine but anything past 90 degree causes the knee to lock then pop and release which is very painful. Believe the problem is the knee cap not tracking properly. All that being said the pain is far less then the bone on bone pain prior to surgery.
Pat Mac

Brisbane, Australia

#54 Feb 5, 2010
Hello Steve
I had a total knee replacement mid October 2009 and all went well until mid December when all of a sudden every time I stand up I have to manipulate the back of my knee to move something so my knee clicks into place. This causes pain each time but when in place is fine. My surgeon sent me for x-rays as he thought there may have been some soft tissue floating but nothing showed up so am back at physiotheraphy trying to get this fixed. Unfortunately it seems to be getting worse rather than better. Will just have to keep going and hope that it goes as quickly as it came.
I also agree with you that the pain is nothing to what I was putting up with prior to my surgery.
Take care.....pat
broken knee bruce

Lenoir City, TN

#55 Feb 8, 2010
I had my knee replacement a little over a year ago . Ever since date one I have had a snap or popping sound. The same noise the doctor said on my real knee was a sign it was going out.The sound has gotten louder and now it happens when I am sitting down and I twist my leg a certain way.I can not get an honest oppenion from a doctor in this state because of insurance network so I am going outside the state to see what happens.Keep it in mind all doctors are scared of attorneys and like to drag it out as long as the statue of limitations will run out which is usually a year.
Paula

Lehigh Acres, FL

#56 Feb 14, 2010
Kathryn wrote:
How old do you have to be for a successful partial knee replacement? I lost my lateral meniscuc at age 10 to an osteochondroma. I ended up with severe lateral compartment OA and down to subchondral bone. I clunk with each step. The rest of my knee is perfect. I have 25% knockknee angle and walking let alone running is PURE HELL. My OS wants to correct it with a partial but other OS say "Total Knee Replacement" or "Do Nothing" I am glad I read theprfevious posts. But I do not know what to do. I am upset. I won't be 50 for 5 more years. Any suggestions?
I had a partial done in 2004 (lateral) when I was 50 but had to have it revised last September. I was a good candidate. It lasted me only 3 years or so before it started giving me real trouble. I put up with the discomfort for 2 years and then had the revision done. Recuperation this time around is very slow.
MyNewKnee

Buffalo, NY

#57 Mar 2, 2010
james

Abilene, TX

#58 Mar 29, 2010
JiMackey wrote:
Hey Mike:
I've heard about these 'sounds' post TKR, in another forum and from my limited knowledge, they may be associated with what they term a 'rotating platform' or 'mobile bearing' knee which actually has the polyurethane insert on the tibial tray that swivels a bit to simulate the natural knee movement. This hardware or prosthetic is by DePuy Orthopedics, a division of Johnson & Johnson. Do you know what type of knee you received?
I would imagine this is a possibilty in any artificial knee though. I just had both knees done(Bi-lateral)total replacements using this hardware on June 25th, 2007 and have not heard any of these sounds yet.
Truth be told, if they don't hurt, who cares about an occasional slight noise, for years, the knees have creaked and cracked for obvious reasons, but yes, anything unusual, such as these noises should be reported to our surgeons promptly as a safeguard. Good luck!
I had both knees replaced in Feb. Recently, I asked my surgeon about the noise I was hearing, he said most of it will go away in time, but that I can expect to hear the clicking sounds which is normal. So he says. James
reardon galt

Lacey, WA

#59 May 18, 2010
It's interesting to read all these stories. Many of them are like my story.

I had TKR (stryker) on my left knee on Feb 22, 2010. Next Monday will be 3 months. The very first time I got out of bed in the hospital, I noticed popping and clunking. The first day home from the hospital, walkiing in my hallway, I noticed it. My knee was really swollen at the time, and in alot of pain, and I didn't really know what to expect.

I immediately started reporting the popping and clunking to my Dr. He said he hears various complaints like that, but to forge on with PT and these issues go away with time. I started PT and they told me I had great range of motion right from the start. I told them about the excessive clunking, and they noted my concerns.

About 6 weeks into post-op when I was nearly done with PT I stopped taking pain medication. While on my walk that day, the clunking seemed worse now that I wasn't taking anything to dull the senses. I couldn't believe it. It was even a little painful. I called the doctor and told him I wanted to see him and didn't want to wait 4 more weeks til our next scheduled appt.

While at the Dr's office, I explained first to his PA, and she said it was scar tissue and would go away and stop bothering me over time. Then the Dr came in, and told me the same thing. My wife was with me. We were almost convinced and ready to leave when I sat there moving my leg back and forth making a loud clunk. I caught the Dr.'s attention and he did a double-take! "that shouldn't be happeneing" he said.

He examined me thoroughly, and said it seemed ok, but maybe was a little to much play. He told me to concentrate on hamsting exercises. We left and made an appointment for 8 weeks ot.

The next day at 5 pm he called me up on the phone. He was concerned about my problem, and told me to really do weight training (I'm 61 years old) and see if it was something I could live with, but that if not he would go back in and replace the poly liner with a thicker one.

I tried this for another month, but no way. There's no way this clunking is going away, so I saw him two weeks ago and set up an appointment for surgery. I go in Monday May 24th. The lady that schedueled my surgery read his surgical orders to me: poly liner exchange; possible patella arthoplasty; remotely possible revision, replace femoral component.

I spoke to the Dr. the next day and asked him what he meant by the last sentence, and he said unless something is really wrong his plan is to just replace the poly liner, and wait for me to tell him if that didn't solve the problem. I agreed with his reasoning.

So that's the plan. I'll let you know how it goes.

By the way, his plan jives with what a Dr. told David P. above in message #51, so that is somewhat reassuring. I kind of wish David would post again to tell us how he's doiing.
Over 70

Watertown, MA

#60 Jun 23, 2010
How did your surgery go for replacing the poly liner (I assume this is the button cemented to the back of the knee cap). I had both knees TKR the first week of April 2010 and have a double click with every step I take. There is a slight pain that results in a really sore knee after walking for 10 or more minutes. Let everyone know if your popping or clunking was fixed.
reardon galt wrote:
It's interesting to read all these stories. Many of them are like my story.
I had TKR (stryker) on my left knee on Feb 22, 2010. Next Monday will be 3 months. The very first time I got out of bed in the hospital, I noticed popping and clunking. The first day home from the hospital, walkiing in my hallway, I noticed it. My knee was really swollen at the time, and in alot of pain, and I didn't really know what to expect.
I immediately started reporting the popping and clunking to my Dr. He said he hears various complaints like that, but to forge on with PT and these issues go away with time. I started PT and they told me I had great range of motion right from the start. I told them about the excessive clunking, and they noted my concerns.
About 6 weeks into post-op when I was nearly done with PT I stopped taking pain medication. While on my walk that day, the clunking seemed worse now that I wasn't taking anything to dull the senses. I couldn't believe it. It was even a little painful. I called the doctor and told him I wanted to see him and didn't want to wait 4 more weeks til our next scheduled appt.
While at the Dr's office, I explained first to his PA, and she said it was scar tissue and would go away and stop bothering me over time. Then the Dr came in, and told me the same thing. My wife was with me. We were almost convinced and ready to leave when I sat there moving my leg back and forth making a loud clunk. I caught the Dr.'s attention and he did a double-take! "that shouldn't be happeneing" he said.
He examined me thoroughly, and said it seemed ok, but maybe was a little to much play. He told me to concentrate on hamsting exercises. We left and made an appointment for 8 weeks ot.
The next day at 5 pm he called me up on the phone. He was concerned about my problem, and told me to really do weight training (I'm 61 years old) and see if it was something I could live with, but that if not he would go back in and replace the poly liner with a thicker one.
I tried this for another month, but no way. There's no way this clunking is going away, so I saw him two weeks ago and set up an appointment for surgery. I go in Monday May 24th. The lady that schedueled my surgery read his surgical orders to me: poly liner exchange; possible patella arthoplasty; remotely possible revision, replace femoral component.
I spoke to the Dr. the next day and asked him what he meant by the last sentence, and he said unless something is really wrong his plan is to just replace the poly liner, and wait for me to tell him if that didn't solve the problem. I agreed with his reasoning.
So that's the plan. I'll let you know how it goes.
By the way, his plan jives with what a Dr. told David P. above in message #51, so that is somewhat reassuring. I kind of wish David would post again to tell us how he's doiing.
bonezsurf

Thousand Oaks, CA

#61 Jun 25, 2010
I have loud clunking when I shake or move my leg from side to side. I also have the Dupuy rotating platform. Im 5 months out from my surgery and had a fall at 3 months my doctor says the x rays look good and told me to take it easy for 6 weeks I may have some fluid in there. no cycling or pt. it also gets sore after cycling. I dont buy the fluid story and feel like Im being blown off
robert johnson

Lacey, WA

#62 Jun 26, 2010
Over 70 wrote:
How did your surgery go for replacing the poly liner (I assume this is the button cemented to the back of the knee cap). I had both knees TKR the first week of April 2010 and have a double click with every step I take. There is a slight pain that results in a really sore knee after walking for 10 or more minutes. Let everyone know if your popping or clunking was fixed.
<quoted text>
The surgery went well, and that's all he did was replace the poly liner. No, the poly liner is NOT the button. The poly liner sits in between the femoral component, and the tibial component. If you look at the picture on this page, it's the piece with the post sticking up that is sitting on the tibial component. It's the only part that isn't metal.

http://www.stryker.com/en-us/Solutions/KneeRe... #

They removed the old liner which was 13mm, and replaced it with a 16mm liner. There's no doubt that there has been a significant improvement. While I still feel some clicking, my knee is much more stable now, and it doesn't always click when I walk. If I walk slowly and smoothly it doesn't clunk. Before I had two clunks on every step no matter what I did. This is a huge improvement, and something I know I'm going to be able to live comfortably with. Before this second operation the Doctor asked me if I thought I could live with it and I told him no. Now I feel like I will move on successfully barring some unknown event.

As to why it was necessary to get to this point in two operations instead of one, well that's another matter. He thinks my tendons "relaxed" after surgery. I don't know. I suspect there is some variance in success levels (this website proves it), some unknowns that rear their ugly heads, some differences in the job the surgeon does (how good he does) and so on.

You're still early in recovery, so it's hard to say if you're really having problems yet. That's what I went through. It took well over 2 months for me to be really really sure I couldn't live like that.

I'll tell you this much. I'm not anxious to do this again, even though my other knee will probably need it. The recovery period sucks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Study: The OtisMed Custom Fit Knee may Result ... (Jan '08) 9 hr Samuel C 92
Continuing knee pain 21 hr Margie Junction C... 3
Knee replacement pain 9 months post-op (Feb '10) Sat Diane Toledo OH 410
post knee replacement pain (May '06) Sat Grlfrmneb 1,674
Does anyone have good existences with partial r... Sat hit4cycle 8
Tightness around knee after replacement (Mar '12) Feb 25 Bojane 93
pain after partial knee replacement (Aug '10) Feb 25 Victoria 214
More from around the web