Knee Replacement Forum
m xkefee

United States

#1 May 14, 2010
I went to two doctors, do you think they would suggest, weight lose, exercise. No he gave me pills and said I need tkr. I asked for physical therapy ,, the pt was honest told me how difficult tkr recovery is.And many fail recovery, because they are over weight etc. I thought why not lose weight, exercise , eat right, strenghten the knee leg area.First and see what happens. Most articles and books say to try the standard things first weight loss diet exercise. I started my program about 6 months ago and guess what, very little pain, very little medicine.It is working, I was watching Dr Oz on tv, A heavy woman with bone on bone o arth on the knee asked him what to do. (He said lose weight and exerice.) Wow he said it. Made sense to me work hard now or work even harder after surgery...I am forever eating right losing weight and exercising , A little pain I can live with, Two people I know had minor knee surgery and had problems and of course the Ortho Surgen does not warranty what he does, you sign a release ,there is no warranty at all. Tune up your body , do it now ,it is really worth trying..
Rick OBrien

Mississauga, Canada

#2 Jul 7, 2010
Theres no money in that for the OS.......its all about the money, you will hear every excuse in the book for your complications and that it will come back in time LOL yeah right, they don't want to deal with the circumstances they've inflicted on you with this bogus procedure......do I wish I had my old arthritic knee back you bet I do!

It is an industry and procedure that needs to be investigated.....Oxford University has and reported that the patients that had reported satisfaction with they're TKRs were in fact bogus......

I'm glad it is working out for you, your going to read more stories about the pain and complications than you will the successes.....and then you get to do it all over again with the replacements!
robert johnson

Lacey, WA

#3 Jul 9, 2010
Since my tkr I've read tons of stuff. Nobody really warns you about how hard the recovery is. Not really. All you hear are second hand stories, "my friends father-in-law had it done and he's playing golf now....blah blah". Talk to the father-in-law and what you'll get is "man did that suck".

I finally found one doctor online who tells his patients: DON'T do TKR unless you absolutely have to!

That's my advice. If you have no choice, like you can't walk because of pain, then maybe yes do it. You have nothing to lose. But don't, on any circumstances, do it just because you think it will improve your life, unless your life currently is total pain.

“ Now....John 49”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#4 Jul 9, 2010
Hello, Tell you what. Read some of this forum on Topix http://www.topix.com/forum/health/knee-replac...

I posted there plenty both before while I was trying to build up some strength and loose some weight, and immediately after I got home from my 6 day, first the hospital for 3 then the rehab nursing home for 3 TKR so yes this is first hand. I did a lot of reading and asked a lot of questions about it and found it all to be a lot of help. Sure TKR is not for everybody but being 48 and having a lot of knee issues for the last 36 or so years. Tons of pain plus years and years of bone on bone It was time for me last Sept 16. Sure I could walk through the pain and never needed to be in a wheel chair and I never used a cane either but you know what, it became almost impossible for people to deal with me by the time I had it done. It is the best thing I did. Yes therapy can be a real bitch and you will take a year to hopefully feel normal but this sure beats the hell out of what I had been dealing with before. Now I am still young enough to get a lot of quality years in so I can travel etc. and If I need it done again in 15, 20, 25 years again big deal! My regular knee surgery to clean up all of the mess that kept occurring was getting more frequent anyways and you still have to do therapy and recover from that so what's the difference. This isn't like an instant cure to all of your knee pain, far from it but you can make it the best thing in the world or you can make it a living hell. It takes work after the surgery. If you are not willing to do your therapy through all of the pain for a few months than get yourself a chair. I would rather be able to walk on a sandy beach and enjoy myself again! Kind of like I am now 10 months post TKR.
Oh, I hate all prescription pain killers so I started taking extra strength Tylenol (4) from day 4 then switched to Advil (4) for last winter until about the end of March. Sometimes I will take a couple now and then. Not often though!
MyNewKnee

Cowlesville, NY

#5 Jul 11, 2010
Hello All,

We’ve gotten some great feedback on our site providing simple, concise information on total knee replacement and related topics:

“Wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your informative site. I work with Patients Without Borders and am always looking for sites that offer insight and information that I can share with our clients. I appreciate your forthright writing style and feel that there are some really great pieces on here.
I linked your blog to mine….

I welcome any comments you care to share.

Warmly,
Erika Bailey”

Here is the link again if you’d like to review our articles and posts

www.totalkneeweb.com

Visit our forum or leave a comment and let us know if you found something interesting!

Regards,
Webmaster
www.totalkneeweb.com
John Krell

Dartmouth, Canada

#6 May 11, 2011
John

I am 48 as well and have just been put on the list for TKR. I have had bone on bone on one side on me knee since I was 17. about 3 years ago I had an HTO surgery and prior to that about 3 scopes to do the cleaning. After the HTO the knee felt good but much like yourself now the pain is not good and grating on me. I do travel lots and at least twice a year down south. So I want some pain free quality. Yes the therapy afterwards is the toughest and at some points a harder workout than I ever went through while in the military. And yes it does depend on the person, if they do their excersices after surgery. Would be good to compare notes on procedures. If you want my e-mail is [email protected] Cheers
John 48 wrote:
Hello, Tell you what. Read some of this forum on Topix http://www.topix.com/forum/health/knee-replac...
I posted there plenty both before while I was trying to build up some strength and loose some weight, and immediately after I got home from my 6 day, first the hospital for 3 then the rehab nursing home for 3 TKR so yes this is first hand. I did a lot of reading and asked a lot of questions about it and found it all to be a lot of help. Sure TKR is not for everybody but being 48 and having a lot of knee issues for the last 36 or so years. Tons of pain plus years and years of bone on bone It was time for me last Sept 16. Sure I could walk through the pain and never needed to be in a wheel chair and I never used a cane either but you know what, it became almost impossible for people to deal with me by the time I had it done. It is the best thing I did. Yes therapy can be a real bitch and you will take a year to hopefully feel normal but this sure beats the hell out of what I had been dealing with before. Now I am still young enough to get a lot of quality years in so I can travel etc. and If I need it done again in 15, 20, 25 years again big deal! My regular knee surgery to clean up all of the mess that kept occurring was getting more frequent anyways and you still have to do therapy and recover from that so what's the difference. This isn't like an instant cure to all of your knee pain, far from it but you can make it the best thing in the world or you can make it a living hell. It takes work after the surgery. If you are not willing to do your therapy through all of the pain for a few months than get yourself a chair. I would rather be able to walk on a sandy beach and enjoy myself again! Kind of like I am now 10 months post TKR.
Oh, I hate all prescription pain killers so I started taking extra strength Tylenol (4) from day 4 then switched to Advil (4) for last winter until about the end of March. Sometimes I will take a couple now and then. Not often though!
loisu

Pompano Beach, FL

#7 Oct 21, 2011
robert johnson wrote:
Since my tkr I've read tons of stuff. Nobody really warns you about how hard the recovery is. Not really. All you hear are second hand stories, "my friends father-in-law had it done and he's playing golf now....blah blah". Talk to the father-in-law and what you'll get is "man did that suck".
I finally found one doctor online who tells his patients: DON'T do TKR unless you absolutely have to!
That's my advice. If you have no choice, like you can't walk because of pain, then maybe yes do it. You have nothing to lose. But don't, on any circumstances, do it just because you think it will improve your life, unless your life currently is total pain.
Yes
I naiively thought that if i took my pain meds i would be able to do the exercises. But the flexion exercises are horrendously painful and the pain meds only "take the edge off" as the physiotherapists tell you...they don't really help much at all. Of course they only tell you that after your entire life has been changed by the surgery.
I think it's very dishonest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3 1/2 years after TKR still with pain in knee (Jul '13) 55 min Blaine 110
Knee replacement pain 9 months post-op (Feb '10) 7 hr RiccardoFire 434
JAS for stiffness (Apr '14) Sat hospitalmistake 2
Continuing knee pain (Feb '15) Aug 27 Raylin Sutter 26
MAKOplasty Partial Knee Replacement Questions Aug 26 Marie 8
Tightness around knee after replacement (Mar '12) Aug 25 Cyndie 111
peripheral neuropathy after knee replacement (Dec '11) Aug 24 luciei 139
More from around the web