fetalsono

Mill Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2010

I am 62 and have arthritis of my right knee. It had been fine up until 6 months ago and has gotten progressively worse. I am able to walk fine during the day but stairs or hills are a bit rough. I still play golf but have started using a cart which I am not happy about. I had a hip replacement 2 years ago and rotator cuff surgery 9 months ago. I know I will need knee replacement surgery but I would like to take a break from surgery for one more year. I have heard that in SOME patients, the knee injection with hyaluronic fluid helps for a while.(Not cortisone) Apparently you need 3 injections and even if successful, it will need be redone at least once or twice more each year. If there is even a 20% chance that it will buy me some more time I would like to try, but would like to hear from others.
Thanks for any advice
linda

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Judged:

I have had synvisc injections in both knees. I had three shots, one week apart, every six months. It helped me, but it is, as you say, just a postponement. I also must warn you that once the injection hit a nerve and was very painful. Generally, it feels like a normal cortisone shot. The third shot is more difficult, as the joint space is fuller so there's some pressure. All in all, I'd give it a shot (pun intended!).
Pat G

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

I had Synvisc in both knees January of 09 in order to try to put off surgery. It helped, but not the magic bullet I'd hoped for (I still needed knee replacement). April of 09 I fell on my right knee and messed it up really bad. After the fall it got progressively worse and the pain became more than I could handle so I just had it replaced 2/2/10. Had Synvisc again in the left knee in Nov.09 to prepare it to be the "strong" knee during rehab after surgery. First Synvisc shots were not particularly painful. Second set in left knee were more painful during shot and got progressively more painful for a couple of days and then subsided. After having had the surgery in the right knee I know now I'll put off the second one as long as I can, even maybe more Synvisc. I'd recommend you try it.

Also, I had a friend who had Synvisc that lasted three years with no more shots and the Dr. who gave me mine had a man for whom it lasted five years. I also ran into a woman who had had it prior to a tour where she would be walking all over and was quite pleased. Everyone is different. Maybe it will be your magic bullet and allow you to put off knee replacement for a long time.
Rhonda

Fairfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Synvisc unfortunately doesn't work for everyone. I'm 53 and had worn out my knee joints. Wanted more time and had the injections~ actually had to have my knees drained because I had overdone it!!! Had my double knee replacement surgery this past December after all. Synvisc is great if it works for you, can't know unless you try!
Joan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

I went through the series (actually 5 injections) on both knees. It finally started to work at 6 wks, pain gone at 8 wks, pain started to return at 9 1/2 wks and was full blast at 3 months.
What did help was to get the Synvisc 1 (single super dose) 5 weeks before my first surgery in my unoperative knee so hopefully it would support me while operative knee healed: and it worked! Drug info state it is usually not effective for about 5 weeks, and it was perfect timing for me! Didn't last, but then I was already scheduling surgery for the second knee.
But like someone else mentioned, everyone is differentj, so its probably worth a try. Just be sure to ask the cost and whether your insurance will cover it; it guess it is quite expensive and some insurances won't pay. If that should happen, contact the drug company and see if they have any assistance for you in getting their product (this is the case with many drugs now).
Lisa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

I had three injections on my right knee a year ago. But they didn't seem to work. I ended up with a partial knee replacement. My knee was too far gone for the Euflexxa to work. But now, myu left knee is acting up. I am currently taking the three shots. I had two and already feeling better. The pain has subsided for now, thank goodness. I will have to have a full replacement in about 5 years, because I'm too young, but hopefully the Euflexxa shots will hold off the surgery for 5 years and not sooner.
Ed from Charleston SC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2010

I m a 52 year old male with moderate arthritis in my knee. I tore my ACL about 25 years ago and never had it reconstructed. Although my knee was partially unstable, I didn't have any real pain for a long time.
Over the years, I did have two knee surgeries for torn medial meniscus.
About a year and a half ago, I took up playing tennis. I immediately started to get pain that progressed over the year. It finally got so bad that I limped constantly. I had my third knee surgery to "clean it up" and allowed the Dr to take a look inside. He said I eventually would need my knee replaced.
I did my internet research and asked him about Euflexxa injections. He thought it might help and was worth the try. I got my series of three shots and began to feel improvement before the third shot. It's been a month since my last shot and I am almost totally pain free. I would estimate about 90% of the pain is gone. I also got an "Unloader Brace" for the knee for when I play tennis (Yes I can play again!!!)
I can't tell you how happy I am to get my life back.
jpg

Fullerton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2010

I had terrible knee pain 7 years ago. could hardly walk. had 3 shots of cortisone. None of them helped.

Then I had a series of synvisc, 3 shots, one week apart. After 30 days I saw great improvement. That was 7 years ago. My knees were fine since the synvisc shots until last month. I exercised about 2 hours a day during those 7 years, biking, walking, swimming, nautilus.

Definitely try synvisc before considering surgery, For me the shots were easy and painless.
Donna

Dillon, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2010

I had Synvisc One on my knee after meniscal surgery over a year ago. Pain in the left knee has been serious. For the first time ever I was almost completely pain free for four months after the Synvisc One. I did like everyone said on the internet and let it "sit" in my knee with my knee lateral or up alhtough my doc says this was not necessary. My question is ...is that insurance pays for it every 6 months but it is cheaper in Canada and would like to get it every four months. Anyone heard of that?
John

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

I had Euflexxa injections 3 years ago after a 2nd arthro job on my knee in 2 years. They worked great with very little knee trouble since although they do seem to be wearing off now. I am investigating getting the injection sonce again
Melinda

Norwalk, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2010

For me, Synvisc was a complete waste of time (and a LOT of money). It did absolutely nothing for me. I missed the days when the steroid injections worked for me. In the end, my knees needed to be replaced. I'm now 1 month post-op on the first knee. OY
Bec

Hendersonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

synvisc worked great for me in both knees for several years and then they couldn't get it into one knee due to scar tissue and shortly after that it quit working in the other knee.
But it bought me several years and I would recommend it to anyone.
I will be having TDK replacement in April.
jeannie p

Salem, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

I have found both SynVisc and Euflexxa to be fantastic! Work for about 6 mos+ and are approved by most insurances. Well worth it...you might be able to stave off a couple years from the knife...but I am not your orthopod!
fetalsono wrote:
I am 62 and have arthritis of my right knee. It had been fine up until 6 months ago and has gotten progressively worse. I am able to walk fine during the day but stairs or hills are a bit rough. I still play golf but have started using a cart which I am not happy about. I had a hip replacement 2 years ago and rotator cuff surgery 9 months ago. I know I will need knee replacement surgery but I would like to take a break from surgery for one more year. I have heard that in SOME patients, the knee injection with hyaluronic fluid helps for a while.(Not cortisone) Apparently you need 3 injections and even if successful, it will need be redone at least once or twice more each year. If there is even a 20% chance that it will buy me some more time I would like to try, but would like to hear from others.
Thanks for any advice
jeannie p

Salem, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

I have found both SynVisc and Euflexxa to be fantastic. Each lasts about 6mos+ and has super results. Your doctor can tell you how long this will save you from the knife, but I strongly recommend it!
jeannie p

Salem, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe it was just that the SynVisc was not the brand for you, but the horse is out of the barn. Knee rehab is painful so keep a good thought. Just remember there are thousands of people across the nation doing the same thing you are (and probably right in your own rehab center!) You are about 5 montHs out now, would that be right? Feeling better about it? Do you have time to wait before the other one is done? Why not try the Euflexxa while you wait if ortho guy says it's okay...keep extra distress off the "good" knee? I loved it.
Melinda wrote:
For me, Synvisc was a complete waste of time (and a LOT of money). It did absolutely nothing for me. I missed the days when the steroid injections worked for me. In the end, my knees needed to be replaced. I'm now 1 month post-op on the first knee. OY
Brenda

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2011

I had a TNR in July of last year which is going into the 8th month. I have always had this vicegrip feeling in my knee and leg. Can't be on it a long time each day. The more exercise I do the worse it gets. The doctor says its fine. He first told me 6 month and now its 6 months to a year. I asked about the Sym shots and in my left knee and he gave me the 3 of euflexxa. Waist of money. Then about 3 wks. ago. a cortizone shot. No good. The right one that I had surgery on is driving me crazy because of the heavy feeling and stiffiness that I feel on the inside of my knee and leg. I had 4 months of PT. When I get out and walk I feel like I am not going to make it. I have never been so depressed in all of my life. I am getting a 2nd opinion next month.
DaisyKearney

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2011

rubbing and tickling of your knee replacement device only means that there's something wrong with the device surgery. How to recover damages?here is the site about zimmer replacement knee lawsuit for your guidance http://www.zimmerreplacementkneelawsuit.com/u...
barbara

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

Both Euflexxa and Sinvosc have been a Godsend to me. Facing knee replacements, these shots have kept my knees going for the past 4 years. I go every 6 months for shots on both knees. Don't hesitate. It's worth the mild discomfort.
Bonnie

Ramona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2011

Rhonda wrote:
Synvisc unfortunately doesn't work for everyone. I'm 53 and had worn out my knee joints. Wanted more time and had the injections~ actually had to have my knees drained because I had overdone it!!! Had my double knee replacement surgery this past December after all. Synvisc is great if it works for you, can't know unless you try!
Just wondering, did the surgery help you?
Corinna

Desoto, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2011

I had Synvisc (the three dose series, each spaced one week apart), and approximately 4 weeks after my last injection, I could feel great improvemenment in my right knee...no more pain and swelling! That one series lasted me two years. I had another injection (the one dose Synvisc) last May, 2010 and it's still working now in August of 2011. I will now have my first Synvisc injection in my left knee tomorrow.

However, I have found out that my insurance plan will not cover Synvisc for a third time (in the same knee.) They stated that: "The benefit of Synvisc-One, and all viscosupplement agents, for more than two series of injections has not been established in the scientific litrature."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of91
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

30 Users are viewing the Knee Replacement Forum right now

Search the Knee Replacement Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Tightness around knee after replacement (Mar '12) 12 hr ireneE 84
Muscle spasms following TKR (Apr '11) 19 hr Pam M 24
Obese patients sometimes denied replacements fo... (May '06) 20 hr Nogods 37
knee pain after a knee revision (Jun '10) 22 hr wanda 126
Distal femur & total knee replacement question ... (Jan '11) Jul 7 Dov 48
pain after partial knee replacement (Aug '10) Jul 5 Kat 198
partial knee replacement (Aug '09) Jul 5 Robbie C 91
•••
•••