Life span of total knee replacement

Posted in the Knee Replacement Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Charm

UK

#1 Oct 7, 2009
I am considering having a knee replacement. I am told my knee is very badly damaged and riddled with arthritis. I have already had a tibial osteotomy as well as arthroscopy done. One consultant says the life span is 10 years (I am only 58 so consider myself too young to run the risk) and another says 85% for 20 years. Any advice from people who have had a replacement in a similar circumstance? Thanks in advance.

“ Now....John 49”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#2 Oct 7, 2009
Charm wrote:
I am considering having a knee replacement. I am told my knee is very badly damaged and riddled with arthritis. I have already had a tibial osteotomy as well as arthroscopy done. One consultant says the life span is 10 years (I am only 58 so consider myself too young to run the risk) and another says 85% for 20 years. Any advice from people who have had a replacement in a similar circumstance? Thanks in advance.
Hello Charm,
I am 3 weeks post TKR today. I am 48 years old. My knee issues began 35+ years ago. I had the old fashioned clean up surgery done on my left knee in 1974 (pre arthroscopic), and then arthroscopic in 1994 & 2005. 2005 was alomost useless. In my mind it is worth the risk of needing it done again in 10 - 20 years which you KNOW that I will. I love to bowl and that is my sliding leg. I own a house, love to travel on vacation and do a lot of stuff. If I have a few good years as opposed to what I have been used to for the last several years it will be well worth it to me. You have to ask yourself if it will be worth it. It's your call and not up to everybody elses opinion or statistics of how long before they wear out. If I was going to live with attempted clean up every 3-4 years because of the acute arthritis, the bone chips and spurs and bone on bone well that would have been lousy as far as I am concerned. I waited as long as I felt I could and wasn't worried about the next time, I wanted to feel better now.
That's my opinion.
Good luck with your decision which ever you decide to do.
Anne

Norwich, UK

#3 Oct 9, 2009
I had TKR 2 years ago age 47. I'd struggled for 30 years with worn knee joints and constant pain. I finally came to the conclusion that i needed to live my life before i retire. I want to do things now when i'm in my 'prime' not when i'm 60 yoa. Its not perfect , I'm too busy for it to be perfect, but it is a new life. If i get 10 years of this new life i will be very happy, its so much better than the one i had before.I still stuggle with some things like walking up and down hill but i couldn't walk at all before without sticks so this is amazing. Who knows if I'll get to 60 anyway.Lifes for living not for waiting to get old enough for a new knee.
Rozie41

Chalfont, PA

#4 Oct 9, 2009
Hello, I had my knees replaced at the age of 37, and every since i had it done I've been in pain. I had to go back in that same year and get a revision of the left knee because, when i walk it would pinch, I really don't know what to do about it. I had a second opinion about it and all the second doctor did was draw fluid out of it. Both knees give me the so much pain at night, but the left knee is the worse of the both. Well all i can say is i wish i left my knee the way they were because, if i knew that they were going to hurt this bad i would of never got both of them done at the same time. wish everyone well
Jesse

El Sobrante, CA

#5 Oct 26, 2009
I am 48 and have been dealing with left knee pain/issues since a motorcycle accident at 25. My Dr says there is nothing he can do to help but TKR. Im scared becasue there are so many people complaining about post-op issues and my dr said at my age the knee will only last for 10 years. Im looking for folks who have actually had a good experience (or at least tolerable) and to guage longevity. thanks
RKC

United States

#6 Oct 27, 2009
I am 48 and 8 weeks post op on Right TKR. I researched this for a long time and chose the right doctor - he's busy and well reknown for knee replacements in this area. I have suffered in pain for years and decided that I wanted to live a full life now and not wait till I was 60 or older - I know I could'nt have lasted that long as quality of life was terrible and I lived on pain pills. The knee is doing well - P/T is very important and I do them religiously every day. Some days I get depressed about my progress, but then I remind myself that this was MAJOR surgery and it takes 8 - 12 months to fully recover. So give it time, and do what everyone tells you to do. My knee still hurts, but not like before the surgery and I know it will get better with time. This is a major decision in life to make, but I am anxious to get back to normal, and to bike, swim and play golf, and nothing more strenuous than that because I expect them to last me for at least 20 years. I had the Stryker Triatholon implant and I have scheduled my right knee replacement to take place in 6.5 more weeks. I'm ready to get it all over with and be in good shape by next summer.
carley

New Orleans, LA

#7 Apr 20, 2010
Hello, Im a getting a new knee this week (Stryker), and I was wondering if its really worth getting it...
the pain of the post-op concerns me, not to mention the long term effects, and the idea of having to get it re-done in 10 years.... My family is concerned- should they be???
Beverley

Middlesbrough, UK

#8 Apr 21, 2010
Mine were replaced 9 weeks' ago I would not recommend having replacements of one or both unless absolutely necessary. You never seem to get the full story about posible problems until after the event, certainly not in the UK. I don't mind the pain so much but no one will say whether it will definitely improve. I was much more mobile before the op and could bend my knees much better. My problem is behind the knees - the pain and lack of mobility because of this has made me feel very disabled. Wish, in my case, I had hung on to the ones I had. better the devil .... Ofcourse there are success stories The lady in the next bed to me -same surgeon but just one knee
has no pain at all now - only 9 weeks on and walks without a stick - and is 14 years my senior!

Bit of a gamble and only you can decide Good luck!
marcus

United States

#9 Apr 22, 2010
i had a prtial knee replacement 3 months ago...i have no pain...i walk my dogs 4 times a day...i am very happy so far
mindy

Gadsden, AL

#10 Apr 24, 2010
it's definitely a gamble. YOu can do your research, go with the best doctor, and still not be guaranteed the results you want. If the pain is constant, if you can't get through a day without taking pain killers, then I think it's worth the risk. I was dealing with an old injury and a deteriorating knee and daily pain. I'd already undergone major surgery plus 2 arthroscopies and simply couldn't bear the thought of another arthroscopy (the option my doctor presented me with). The TKR was much worse than I ever could have imagined. The pain was almost unbearable, therapy was awful, and I became completely depressed. Two years later I'm past all that and not thinking about the future and the longevity of the joint. I may have 8 more years or I may have as many as 18 years. You never know with these things. I would gather as much information as possible before undergoing the surgery. Talk to people who've had the surgery and talk to doctors, as many as you can. Everyone's experience is different. Also, know that the results vary according to the shape your knee is in going into the surgery. A severely damaged knee is not going to produce tiptop results.
Gringo

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands

#11 Jun 3, 2010
I am just over a year after a TKR, and I was 58 at the time. I can't believe the difference it has made in my life. I know that as active as I now am, it might not outlast me. That's okay. I figure by the time this one wears out the technology will have improved and there will be hundreds of thousands ( millions?) of other TKR revision customers by then.

My insurance won't cover my second knee, so I am planning to go to Costa Rica early next year and get it done there.

My thinking on it all was that I was basically cripple and miserable without the TKR. If I get 10-15 years active, it would be worth it if I was totally crippled after that. I would have been, anyhow. took me about 6-8 weeks before I was recovered enough from the surgery to really start enjoying it. And I wish I had done it ten years earlier. All those miserable years I didn't have to be like that.
Pointman Michael

Clifton, NJ

#12 Jun 11, 2010
I had a TKR about 8 months ago and it is a total disaster. I need to get my knee drained. I had 4 drainings in total. I don't know how long this will last but I am getting impatient. Maybe the doc screwed up ? Who knows.
K A Paul

Bangalore, India

#13 Jul 1, 2010
why not try India?It think t's much cheaper......
Gringo wrote:
I am just over a year after a TKR, and I was 58 at the time. I can't believe the difference it has made in my life. I know that as active as I now am, it might not outlast me. That's okay. I figure by the time this one wears out the technology will have improved and there will be hundreds of thousands ( millions?) of other TKR revision customers by then.
My insurance won't cover my second knee, so I am planning to go to Costa Rica early next year and get it done there.
My thinking on it all was that I was basically cripple and miserable without the TKR. If I get 10-15 years active, it would be worth it if I was totally crippled after that. I would have been, anyhow. took me about 6-8 weeks before I was recovered enough from the surgery to really start enjoying it. And I wish I had done it ten years earlier. All those miserable years I didn't have to be like that.
P Knox

Boise, ID

#15 Jul 12, 2010
I suffered a tibial plateau fracture when I was 32, the OS couldn't align the bone fragments perfectly when he screwed it all back together. The Tibial component of my knee is uneven & ultimately wearing the cartilage with every step. I was told I am a candidate for TKR, but it's not recommended on patients younger than 35.
I will be turning 35 this summer...
My question is, when do you know it's time?
I have pain with every step, but I'm used to it.
My knee is chronically swollen/puffy, which makes it stiff all the time & sometimes it gives out on me without warning. I've had 6 surgeries on that knee so far - so I think I know what to expect as far as pain management & physical therapy go.
But I don't know if my physical limits will diminish, or increase.
I also have 2 young children; 6 year old & 3 year old (broke my tibia when I was on maternity leave with my youngest).
More than anything, I want to run & play with them. Teach my oldest to ride a bike & be one of those crazy moms running up and down the soccer field. Will I be able to do any of that, or is it all just a fantasy??
cooper

Los Gatos, CA

#16 Aug 8, 2010
Jesse wrote:
I am 48 and have been dealing with left knee pain/issues since a motorcycle accident at 25. My Dr says there is nothing he can do to help but TKR. Im scared becasue there are so many people complaining about post-op issues and my dr said at my age the knee will only last for 10 years. Im looking for folks who have actually had a good experience (or at least tolerable) and to guage longevity. thanks
Hi Jesse,

Don't sure if you had the TKR since your post was in 2009. I'm 53 and post 6weeks. Let me know where you are with your knee situation so I can help you or not. BTW, what were your exact injuries to your knee after your motorcycle accident? I dislocated my knee ( pretty much ripped my knee off). let me know :)

Since: Jul 10

Stoughton, Ma.

#17 Aug 8, 2010
P Knox wrote:
I suffered a tibial plateau fracture when I was 32, the OS couldn't align the bone fragments perfectly when he screwed it all back together. The Tibial component of my knee is uneven & ultimately wearing the cartilage with every step. I was told I am a candidate for TKR, but it's not recommended on patients younger than 35.
I will be turning 35 this summer...
My question is, when do you know it's time?
I have pain with every step, but I'm used to it.
My knee is chronically swollen/puffy, which makes it stiff all the time & sometimes it gives out on me without warning. I've had 6 surgeries on that knee so far - so I think I know what to expect as far as pain management & physical therapy go.
But I don't know if my physical limits will diminish, or increase.
I also have 2 young children; 6 year old & 3 year old (broke my tibia when I was on maternity leave with my youngest).
More than anything, I want to run & play with them. Teach my oldest to ride a bike & be one of those crazy moms running up and down the soccer field. Will I be able to do any of that, or is it all just a fantasy??
Hi, I used to post as John 48 but I turned 49 in July so now it's John 49. My daughter was born in 1992, I had knee surgery in 1994, 2005 and finally 2009 I had the TKR. My daughter has never even seen me run.
See my post above. It was the best thing I did. It was time. I will wait a while before I have mt right knee replaced mostly since I am enjoying being able to walk comfortably again and since I'm not hobbling around so bad since the left TKR It feels a lot better now.
It's a long recovery but you are younger and it may be even easier for you.
I would say go for it but it's really something you have to ask youself what you think.
Catherine

Port Alberni, Canada

#18 Oct 14, 2010
Charm wrote:
I was 45 when I had it done in Victoria BC. After 2 Arthromy's in the 70's and 3 scopes after that, I was ready. It was the best thing I did!!!I wanted my quality of life at that time not when I was in my 60's I am 6 years Post Op. Sure it is a long road of Physio, so what. I ride my bike, I hike, and I am living without pain. I woke up, seriously, in no pain (other than the post op pain) So I don't water ski. Never did. My Dr said this joint will hopefully last 20+ years. It is stainless and I am carefull. No ice Skating! Do it.
Maria

Belleville, IL

#19 Nov 16, 2010
I Had both of my knees replaced, one wasn done in Dec. 2009 and the next one was done in February 2010. I have no regrets. I was in so much pain prior to my surgeries that I looked forward to getting them replaced. I have a little trouble with a burning sensation on the left leg, but certainly not the same kind of pain I was feeling before. Everyone recovers differently. It is a personal dicision of taking the risk that everything will turn out ok look for a good surgeon with lots of experience would be the advice I would give and make sure he is board certified. I had a great doctor and staff that guided me through everything. It has been a long road, but well worth it to me.
Maria
Jerry New Jersey

New York, NY

#20 Mar 31, 2011
Had first knee replacement 3 years ago at 60 and the second one this past Feb. It takes 4 months till you feel "pretty good" and a year till you really recover. Your quality of life will be much improved by getting this done... Your knee will last longer if you do less strenuous activity, i.e. jogging, playing tennis, etc. but it all depends on the quality of life you desire. Life for today and don't worry if you'll need a new knee replacement in 15 years. Remember, there is no guarantee your going to make it 15 years. Good luck.
Sam

United States

#21 Mar 31, 2011
Our family's history of knees. My brother, now 71, has had his replacements for 23 and 17 years and played senior league baseball until 63 and still plays golf. His knees were replaced in Utah. My sister, 69, had both of her knees replaced 14 years ago and gets around fine. Hers were done in Indiana. I had one knee replaced in November and now play golf 3 times a week and do the eliptical machine for 40 minutes on the days I do not play golf. Mine was done in North Carolina. I realize there are some horror stories but I did want to show that there are success stories and replacements can last a lot longer than 10 years..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blisters after surgery? (Jun '08) 33 min minesappraisal 94
grinding noise starting 9 months after TKR (Oct '11) 4 hr Kitty 39
TKR now hip problems (Sep '13) 23 hr Linda 5
Tightness around knee after replacement (Mar '12) Sun Brenda 126
How Long Before Walking Long Distance (Apr '09) Sat Aenewknees 36
Partial Knee Replacement Problems (Oct '12) Jul 23 kneereplacemnt2 7
Bone around knee replacement is dark in xray. S... Jul 23 Ruverwalker 2
More from around the web