post knee replacement problems
Steve R

Bristol, UK

#2555 Sep 1, 2011
Jean wrote:
I am contemplating haveing my knee replaced and have been putting it off for years. I am 52 and quite active. My fear is losing the ability to continue biking, skiing, hiking, jogging, etc.
I am wondering if anyone can tell me if they are able to jog at all after a replacement? Want to do a small triathalon next summer that ends with a 3 mile run. just hoping.
Thanks
I had my right knee replaced in 2007 I am 53 years old now. I get constant pain and swelling.(I am currently not working as a result of this) My advice is spare the knife as long as possible. Afterwards, if you can walk without pain, it is better than not waking (Weight bearing) at all! there is no way you will be running or jogging after a replacement.
Roger Watson uk

Europe

#2556 Sep 3, 2011
I had a total knee replacement which on completion made my leg 42mm longer than the other.On complaining to my GP and being sent to various other consultants, one said(unless your knee joint has been put in back to front you've no complaint),others gave varying different lenghts but two orthotic consultants agreed that there was a 42mm difference.
My op was done at Brongais Hospital mid wales uk.
Be warned I now suffer great discomfort and wish I'd never had the op done.
LYDIA MODESTO CA

Modesto, CA

#2557 Sep 3, 2011
I had my original Total Knee Replacement back in 2006 with a SMITH AND NEPHEW brand....It never felt right and then i had a hip replacement in nov. 2010 with 7 dislocations which they had to yank on to put the hip back in place everytime..And finally in Jan. 2011 redid the hip...the hip is great but now they saw a separation in the knee and are now re-doing the knee on OCT 5TH...next month and I can hardly wait...maybe now i can rid my knee from pain...This time they are using a BIO MED KNEE REPLACEMENT not a SMITH AND NEPHEW...THE DR. says they have had better results with the bio med brand...I never thought I'd be looking forward to any type of surgery but i can honestly say I am this one for sure !!!....I am hoping for good and mostly better results ....
LYDIA
Kay

Flint, TX

#2558 Sep 6, 2011
I had my TKR done June 13, 2011 and I still can't get my knee to past 85 degree'. MY R. knee is the one that was done and has always stayed swollen which I think is the reason why I can't bend it any better.About 5 day's ago my left foot started swelling along w/my right one. It is so bad my Dr. checked it for blood clots, which is normal. He then sent me home. It hurts to walk in both feet. I wonder if you can help me or not. Thanks
Charley in NC

Kannapolis, NC

#2559 Sep 6, 2011
Kay,

You are going to have knee swelling and pain for at least 6 months and probably longer. My guess is that you are just past the use of a walker and are using a cane. This is a rough stage for you, because you are getting impatient with how slow it is healing. I know, I was there, twice. Both of my knees have been replaced. You will likely have some swelling and pain for at least 6 months, but you should be able to get gradually away from the pain pills after the first month. The exercises help a lot. The more that you can do (within reasonable limits) the faster your knee will heal and get stronger. Try to resume your life as soon as you can because using your knee will help it heal and get stronger. This is not minor surgery. It is a very major one, and the only surgery that I've had that was harder to recover from was a heart bypass and valve repair. Keep your faith up and use your knee as much as you can, but don't overdue it. As it gets stronger the pain and swelling will subside and your range of motion will improve. I promise.
It was about 7 months before I could sit down on a 1 foot high stool and get back up. I needed to hang onto a chair back or a door knob to go either way at first, but it got gradually easier and easier to do, and I can now sit down or stand up from that stool without the chair back, door knob, or any other help. It all takes time. Don't expect this to be a quick heal like the other injuries and surgeries in your life.

Charley
Jane

Buffalo, NY

#2560 Sep 8, 2011
Hi, I have had tkr l/r l in 08 r in 2010- was wondering if anyone gets leg cramps at nite? Mine are usually worse after any kind of walking. The big toe arches up and untill i can raise the foot the cramp lasts, the bad part is all the dr.s tell me is eat bananna, well that dont work
it feels like a string attached in back calf and untill i can stretch it nothing helps
Carole

Selden, NY

#2561 Sep 9, 2011
Knee replacement surgery does not work for everyone. Most docs would never tell you that; but, it's true. Plus, everyone's body reacts and/or heals differently. I had never had surgery prior to my replacement so I was NOT aware that I was a patient who would have scar tissue literally overnight. The surgeon told me later it indicates I am a "quick healer" - well thanks but that doesn't help me, now that I am suffering FIVE YEARS later. Had my right knee replaced in 2006; had scar tissue removed 3 months later, had a partial revision the following year followed by MORE scar tissue removal - LOADS of physical therapy, and still the scar tissue is as thick as leather and I can't bend my knee more than about 85 degrees. I have heard about ASTYM therapy which supposedly helps people with severe arthrofibrosis but I can't find anyone in my area who offers it. I'd be willing to try anything to give me some relief from this terrible stiffness which is with me all the time and causes so much discomfort when walking. I am unable to stand in one place for more than a few minutes without the knee swelling up. I'd never want to go through this again and pray that my other knee stays ok.
mindy

Tuscaloosa, AL

#2562 Sep 10, 2011
Carole wrote:
Knee replacement surgery does not work for everyone. Most docs would never tell you that; but, it's true. Plus, everyone's body reacts and/or heals differently. I had never had surgery prior to my replacement so I was NOT aware that I was a patient who would have scar tissue literally overnight. The surgeon told me later it indicates I am a "quick healer" - well thanks but that doesn't help me, now that I am suffering FIVE YEARS later. Had my right knee replaced in 2006; had scar tissue removed 3 months later, had a partial revision the following year followed by MORE scar tissue removal - LOADS of physical therapy, and still the scar tissue is as thick as leather and I can't bend my knee more than about 85 degrees. I have heard about ASTYM therapy which supposedly helps people with severe arthrofibrosis but I can't find anyone in my area who offers it. I'd be willing to try anything to give me some relief from this terrible stiffness which is with me all the time and causes so much discomfort when walking. I am unable to stand in one place for more than a few minutes without the knee swelling up. I'd never want to go through this again and pray that my other knee stays ok.
Hi Carole,
I just want to add my two cents to your comment most doctors don't tell you the whole truth. They're surgeons and their business is cutting; that's what they know how to do. My doctor gave me the basic statistics, range of motion I could expect, duration of the implant, etc, but he didn't tailor the information to me. I resent that because I think, given his experience, he should have known and likely did know I would have additional difficulties. He'd seen the mess my knee was in, he knew the number of operations I'd already had, and he should have alerted me I would be dealing with the massive scar tissue already accumulated in my knee. But he didn't and then he acted surprised by the pain I suffered and the difficulty I experienced bending. Only then did he tell me I had significant scar tissue and he couldn't do anything about that. "If I take it out it'll just grow back." I think we put too much trust in medicine and in doctors and we tend to forget surgery is their business. While most undoubtedly have the best of intentions still, they make their living from cutting. In the future I will question every time a doctor says "cut." We have lots of resources now--online especially--to help us. I only wish I'd done my research before the knee replacement. And I'm with you, I hope to hell my other knee holds out.
andra

Wilmington, OH

#2563 Sep 10, 2011
mindy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Carole,
I just want to add my two cents to your comment most doctors don't tell you the whole truth. They're surgeons and their business is cutting; that's what they know how to do. My doctor gave me the basic statistics, range of motion I could expect, duration of the implant, etc, but he didn't tailor the information to me. I resent that because I think, given his experience, he should have known and likely did know I would have additional difficulties. He'd seen the mess my knee was in, he knew the number of operations I'd already had, and he should have alerted me I would be dealing with the massive scar tissue already accumulated in my knee. But he didn't and then he acted surprised by the pain I suffered and the difficulty I experienced bending. Only then did he tell me I had significant scar tissue and he couldn't do anything about that. "If I take it out it'll just grow back." I think we put too much trust in medicine and in doctors and we tend to forget surgery is their business. While most undoubtedly have the best of intentions still, they make their living from cutting. In the future I will question every time a doctor says "cut." We have lots of resources now--online especially--to help us. I only wish I'd done my research before the knee replacement. And I'm with you, I hope to hell my other knee holds out.
I agree with you, my doctor said to me on my 2 month followup post partial replacement....but is the pain you had before the surgery there? My response...No it is replaced with new pain, swelling and constant discomfort. He said I was recovering slower than expected but the xray looked good and he was happy with my range of motion.

I am 4 months post op, range is good, walking is slow but good....pain and swelling are my constant friend. Hoping in 8 months the results will make me glad I did the surgery, today my limitations for activities are about where I was prior to surgery.

Wishing everyone a pain free day!
Nancy

Danbury, CT

#2564 Sep 10, 2011
This may sound silly.. but it is so good to hear other people are experiencing the same issues as I am... I had my TKR on Jan 3, 2011 and I still have swelling, tightness, my scar is still purple and I have discomfort and pain (not like before, but different)... which I have been told is because I am "blessed" with scar tissue... I limp when I get up if I sit to long....I still can't sleep good.... my doctor lead me to believe this would be a piece of cake.. I would be a whole new person and be able to do things I could never do before.... well... that isn't the case at all.. I was suppose to have the other knee done 6 weeks after this one.. I may never have it done now... this was the toughest thing I have ever gone through... My doctor has since retired and I have to see someone else in the group and I'm not happy... I will say I'm better than I was 3 months ago.. but not where I should be by now.... I have to believe it will get better.. but it is tough going.... Hope everyone else gets better soon too......
Kerry

Aurora, CO

#2565 Sep 10, 2011
Speak with your surgeon I also live in Denver, everyone heals differently. I know you'll be told not to ski for a year. Im having problems still after 8 months. There is a newer procedure being done with quicker recovery. Good luck if you decide to do it.
Kerry Azzariti
margie

Salfordville, PA

#2566 Sep 11, 2011
vito wrote:
Sorry gona no answers I am 9 weeks out and mine still swells all the time, always hot and after I am up on it for more than 10 minutes, it is hard to bend at all. I am not going to give up. I am told the more I use the muscles around the knee, the sooner the welling will go down. maybe some day I will actually get some real sleep too. Keep me informed if you find any answers. Keep working it.
I was told after my first knee replacement that it can take up to a year for the swelling to be gone. To anybody wearing compression stockings easy way to put them on is rub baby powder on your legs. Stockings will go on easy. Everybody that I told to do this says thanks because no problem putting them on.
Anonymous

United States

#2567 Sep 12, 2011
Nancy wrote:
<quoted text>
Kerry, clicking is very common they tell me... I had my Right knee done in Jan 2011.. I had clicking all the time.. but now just once in a while.. depends on how tired I get... I am still swollen and tight too... I can bend to about 120.. sitting too long stiffens me up and I limp when I first get up.. again they say its normal... it is quite frustrating... hang in there they say it will get better.... the jury is still out on that verdict...
Thanks for the reply, I have had a different issue concerning the new knee. I was on a very slight incline after leaving a store, and when I went to stop the new knee would'nt loch causing me to continue for a few steps and then falling down, yes I did scrape it up pretty bad. My question is has anyone had simular issues where the knee new wouldn't allow you to stop while in motion? My doctor has put me in a brace for the next 8 weeks in hopes of stabelizing the knee.
teresa

Cambridge, MN

#2568 Sep 13, 2011
Arnold wrote:
Hi Alexis I am 58 and have also worked hard to keep in shape so that I can still be active I my upcoming 60's and 70's but I was just recently diagnosed with Avascular necrosis I my left knee.
My Orthopedic Doc is trying the Steadman Pick proceedure which I am in the process of re-habing from. I sympathize for you because it’s not supposed to work that way is it?
If the Steadman trick soesen’t work that the Doc saied that I am a good canidate for a partial knee replacement because the rest of my knee is like that of a 20 yo. I am just hoping that I can do some moderate running on a Oxford partial..
Hi I have had 3 hip replacements and have been diagnosed with Avascular necrosis in the hips. Now I have trouble walking upstairs when I am carrying something I have pain in hip and back and down leg. I don't sleep and going to work is a chore daily. I wear pain patches and take pain meds that are not working. I joined snap fitness and try to workout but the pain is so bad I can't continue my hour. I feel very frustrated the Doctors just keep giving me pain pills and don't seem to fix the problem wouldn't you think if you they were in pain all the time they would fiqure out the problem! any idea what to do?
Carmen

Warsaw, IN

#2569 Sep 15, 2011
rhia wrote:
I am 4 weeks post op and still have morning stiffness. My Doctor and therapist said this is normal for at least 6 months. I am able to bend my knee to around 106 degrees, and I am -5 degrees in straightening. Aggressive therapy at home is the main key to having success. I go to outpatient therapy 3 times a week, but I push my own therapy at home several times during the day. I have just about graduated from crutches to a cane, and can stand and walk several steps without the use of anything. At 47, I was in fear of not completely getting use back after surgery, especially since I have degenerative joint disease and face other joints having to be replaced in the future. I still have pain that requires medication, and there are nights I have difficulty sleeping and have to get up and get on the sofa. My suggestion to everyone is not to give up. You have to push yourself to get over the surgery, and try and maintain a positive attitude. I had heard wonderful stories before surgery and thought it would not be as difficult to recover, but after this first surgery I realized this is a long recovery situation, and you must continue to keep your motivation high, and have your family around which helps to give you strength and hope.
I had the same problem with my knee. A friend talked me into trying acupuncture. It took 3 sessions but all of the heat went out of my knee and it helped with the pain. I am know a year later and thinking that I will have to do it again. My knee is starting to hurt pretty bad.
Darryl Aiello

United States

#2570 Sep 16, 2011
gona wrote:
Retry: I am 11 weeks out and suffering chronic swelling and inflamation. My knee swells to two to three times my other knee. I ice 3-4 times a day. I elevate above my heart. All of this provides temporary relief. As soon as I put any weight on it, it swells. The swelling makes my knee unstable and restricts movement significantly. The only relief is a pressure stocking. If anyone has had similar problems and found a way to cure them, please advise.
I am 12 years out now but had swelling and post op pain also, I used acupuncture to decrease the swelling and manage the pain until I was able to work it on my own
Raye

Blanchard, OK

#2571 Sep 19, 2011
I had a TKR in July 2009 following a car accident. There was severe soft tissue damage that was also done to my leg due to the accident. I am still having trouble with my knee swelling and now I am having fairly severe pain in the back of my knee. It is a hard aching type pain and sometimes has a burning sensation. Any suggestions or advise?
Lin

Maitland, FL

#2572 Sep 27, 2011
tzr wrote:
I had my second TKR 6 mos ago and I fired my ortho and plan on finding an ortho that can help me. I manage to keep swelling down w/ice and anti-inflammatories. My knee bends about 90 degrees. I'm 73 work at a sed job and should exercise but I do not. Beware of the cane, once you have one TKR you will have another if you use the cane (use the walker). The cane has caused me to now have a foot problem (other foot. I think I have some loosening of the hardware as if I hang my leg over the edge of the bed I am in severe pain at the inside of my knee. I have read the discussions and wish I could help. If you have any suggestions for this "not so old gal." I would appreciate it.
I am now 10 weeks post TKR on right knee. Still swollen; still painful. Go to pt 3x weekly, so far have had 13 sessions. Bending range is good WHEN the hamstring will allow the knee to bend. Hamstring is very painful on full extension and snaps/pops back and forth causing a lot of pain. As a result, I still cannot take a full step. I use a walker for outside walking, but use a cane inside my home. Have used prescription topical creams for inflammation, but still the problem persists. At times when trying to walk, there is significant pain in the upper left side of knee and lower right side, almost feels as if the hardware is turned or twisted. I personally feel I should not have had the surgery done. Of course, everyone tells me this type of surgery can take up to a year for full recovery. I pray it does not take that long. I'll keep you and your knee in my prayers for a speedy recovery.
jerry6665

Los Angeles, CA

#2573 Sep 30, 2011
Raye wrote:
I had a TKR in July 2009 following a car accident. There was severe soft tissue damage that was also done to my leg due to the accident. I am still having trouble with my knee swelling and now I am having fairly severe pain in the back of my knee. It is a hard aching type pain and sometimes has a burning sensation. Any suggestions or advise?
hi,
you may have torn the meniscus which could cause a Baker's Cyst. when you tear the meniscus, the fluid leaks out and forms a cyst on the back of knee which can cause pain and stiffness. you might want the doc to check it out.
j
jerry6665

Los Angeles, CA

#2574 Sep 30, 2011
i had a tkr right knee the beginning of july. the surgeon was head of orthopaedic surgery at a major school in calif for 20 years. he assured me i would be fine enough to do the other knee in 5 weeks.

HAH!

as one of the physical therapists told me, kind of laughingly, "they lie. the surgeons lie."

the knee is 2 1/2 months old now and can't get past the 105 mark and even that is only when the therapist helps. the knee is tight and hurts almost all the time. every time i get up, i limp for a few steps, even if it's only been a minute that i was sitting. my attitude is good, i do exercises often during the day. while in rehab, the therapists told my general practioner that i was the most 'aggressive and determined patient (they) had ever had. i am doing all the regular things i can. driving is tough and being in california - ya gotta drive!

the last month has shown no improvement.

what's really frustrating is that a buddy of mine who is 65, about 275 lbs and out of shape was back at work about a week after each tkr. his wife drove him to the office but i sure wasn't ready to go back to any office in a week!

the good news is that i can walk, seem to have less trouble than most who have written on this blog. the swelling is not bad because i practise walking around inside my house a total of an hour/day, not on the cement, and ice after exercises and walking. i sleep with the leg straight and still take a small amount of pain meds regularly so the pain doesn't build up.(on the advice of my regular doc) and, i, too, haven't seen my surgeon but 1 time since the surgery and his office won't return my calls. what keeps me upbeat is that my knee would never have been better, only worse, and the tkr gives me the chance to get better.

good luck to us all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Knee Infection Prior To Knee Replacement 1 hr HubbyInPain 1
"Shin splint-type pain" 11 mos. after TKR (Dec '10) 2 hr Jcouture 49
partial knee replacement (Aug '09) 3 hr Candycain 114
After total knee still swollen and feels hot to... (Sep '12) Wed Tom 91
Burning of knee after TKR and tingling and numb... Jun 20 C waller 1
3 1/2 years after TKR still with pain in knee (Jul '13) Jun 18 Sharon 132
peripheral neuropathy after knee replacement (Dec '11) Jun 16 Charles 161
More from around the web