Kneeling after Tkr
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
James Pittman

New Orleans, LA

#1 Nov 13, 2009
Everyone tells me that I won't be able to kneel after my bilateral tkr. Can anyone tell me exactly why you can't kneel? Has anyone out there that has had bilateral tkr been able to kneel? I can't find anything on this subject at other sites.
Thanks
James Pittman

“ Now....John 49”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#2 Nov 13, 2009
James Pittman wrote:
Everyone tells me that I won't be able to kneel after my bilateral tkr. Can anyone tell me exactly why you can't kneel? Has anyone out there that has had bilateral tkr been able to kneel? I can't find anything on this subject at other sites.
Thanks
James Pittman
Hello James, I am 8/1/2 weeks out of surgery. I put a little pressure on my knee kneeling (accidently) last night and although it really didn't hurt I was more afraid of damaging something. It will take you a little while before you will be aboe to even bend it that far before you can kneel.
When do you go in for the TKR?
Good luck,
John
James Pittman

New Orleans, LA

#3 Nov 13, 2009
Actually I am six weeks out of surgery, but only recently learned about the kneeling thing. This bothers me as I have always been active with boating some of which requires kneeling. My theropy is coming along slow. I have only 118 degree bend on one knee and 116 degree on the other abnd still quite a bit of pain.
What is your degree of bend and what is your pain level if any?

“ Now....John 49”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#4 Nov 13, 2009
James Pittman wrote:
Actually I am six weeks out of surgery, but only recently learned about the kneeling thing. This bothers me as I have always been active with boating some of which requires kneeling. My theropy is coming along slow. I have only 118 degree bend on one knee and 116 degree on the other abnd still quite a bit of pain.
What is your degree of bend and what is your pain level if any?
Well I was past 120 about 3 weeks ago when I stopped my PT. I have only been taking non prescription meds, first Tylenol, then Advil since 4 days out of surgery. I hated the vicodin they had me on so I just went with the stuff I had been used to. I am 48 and my knee issues started about 37 years ago, no accident or anything, just a genetic problem so I was used to dealing with pain since I was a kid, just me I guess. I have been back to work 2 weeks and I do have pain, I also cleaned up my yard (tons of leaves) last weekend (both days) which made for a tough week.
Keep in mind, therapy can be slow, that was pretty heavy duty surgery you had. I don't know how old you are but I notice with myself that I want to be moving along and doing more than my knee can keep up with. It is driving me crazy because when I over do it I am paying for a few days after.
James, read the other topix posts including the one titled "Otis Knee". A lot of people are posting how they are doing along with the whats, how longs, etc. about their surgery even though not everybody there had the Otisknee procedure. I got a lot of good info from it and met a bunch of very nice, concerned people dealing with the same issues I have been.
James Pittman

New Orleans, LA

#5 Nov 13, 2009
John 48 wrote:
<quoted text>

Well I was past 120 about 3 weeks ago when I stopped my PT. I have only been taking non prescription meds, first Tylenol, then Advil since 4 days out of surgery. I hated the vicodin they had me on so I just went with the stuff I had been used to. I am 48 and my knee issues started about 37 years ago, no accident or anything, just a genetic problem so I was used to dealing with pain since I was a kid, just me I guess. I have been back to work 2 weeks and I do have pain, I also cleaned up my yard (tons of leaves) last weekend (both days) which made for a tough week.
Keep in mind, therapy can be slow, that was pretty heavy duty surgery you had. I don't know how old you are but I notice with myself that I want to be moving along and doing more than my knee can keep up with. It is driving me crazy because when I over do it I am paying for a few days after.
James, read the other topix posts including the one titled "Otis Knee". A lot of people are posting how they are doing along with the whats, how longs, etc. about their surgery even though not everybody there had the Otisknee procedure. I got a lot of good info from it and met a bunch of very nice, concerned people dealing with the same issues I have been.
I am 73 years old. I was a four sport athlete in high school. Won the Louisiana State championship in the mile run three out of four years followed by three years of Collegiate track, cross country and 10K before 10K was popular, followed by 32 years in a chemical plant walking on concrete for 12 to 16 hours a day. I know how my knees wore out. I am still very active. I bicycle but don't run anymore.
Thanks for the heads up on the other topix. Just for your information my therapist explained to me that while no one knows why kneeling is not recommended it seems that when you kneel, your knee is at a 90 degree which exposes the polypropylene cushion between the joint to direct pressure which can cause the cushion to move or be damaged. He had a plastic knee and demonstrated this to me. For now that is the best reasion I have heard of.

“ Now....John 49”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#6 Nov 13, 2009
James, WOW, it sounds like you got a lot of great years out of your knees, very impressive athletic resume! Unfortunately that 32 years on concrete floors would have been brutal. I hate concrete floors or should I say they don't like me. Thank you for the heads up as far as kneeling. I would have tried it and I'm sure I would not have been very careful about it either.
My big concern would be bowling again. I'm sure that if you have a problem kneeling while boating you will likely figure some way to compensate for it.
In a few months neither one of us will even be thinking about our knee replacements!
James Pittman

New Orleans, LA

#7 Nov 18, 2009
John 48 wrote:
James, WOW, it sounds like you got a lot of great years out of your knees, very impressive athletic resume! Unfortunately that 32 years on concrete floors would have been brutal. I hate concrete floors or should I say they don't like me. Thank you for the heads up as far as kneeling. I would have tried it and I'm sure I would not have been very careful about it either.
My big concern would be bowling again. I'm sure that if you have a problem kneeling while boating you will likely figure some way to compensate for it.
In a few months neither one of us will even be thinking about our knee replacements!
Amen, but I think that is a long shot.
More info on kneeling. Survey of 1000 people with tkr shows that 68 percent do not kneel because they are just afraid to do so from the gossip they have heards. 24 percent don't kneel on doctors advice. Others don't kneel because of physical restraints.
We are going to beat this. I bought me some good knee pads and will start using them as soon as my rehab is over.
Good luck to in your recovery and stay in contact
Jack625

Yorktown Heights, NY

#8 Nov 27, 2009
I had TKR in Nov. 2006. I was 63 years old at the surgery. I fear kneeling on hard floors. However, carpeted floors are no problem. I sit cross-legged on the floor to play with my 2-year-old granddaughter and can walk as fast as my 33 year old daughter. My knees reached 160 degrees six months out of surgery. Inclines are not a problem. I try to avoid ice at all costs.

Jack
jean

CancĂșn, Mexico

#9 Nov 30, 2009
I do Shiatsu so I have to crawl all around on my knees. I had one knee done 4 months ago...my surgeon did not put cement on and I can crawl without any problem. He also assured me I will not damage it doing this. I put blankets around and crawl on them. Doesn;t hurt at all! I'll have the other knee done next year.

“ Now....John 49”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#10 Feb 18, 2010
Hello James Pittman,
If you are still out there somewhere I am curious, have you have been able to kneel or tried you have tried to yet?
I have kind of tried but not really any weight. Yeah, I'm chicken!
Hope to hear from you,
John

Since: Dec 09

Columbia South Carolina

#11 Feb 18, 2010
My surgeon explained to me the same way James Pittman's theropist explained to him concerning kneeling. There may be many things that physically can be done following rehab. of a TKR. But at my age of 45 odds are that I will be facing atleast 1 more replacement due to normal use and I certainly do not want to speed up the process by doing things simply because I can, I want my new knee to last as long as possible. My surgeon has given me lifetime restrictions and I will follow his advice even if it means rearranging my lifestyle to preserve my knee.

Ginger
Julie

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Aug 7, 2010
My husband had BKR 2 1/2 years ago. He was an avid gardener. He is now 74. He is still very much sexually active, but uncomfortable putting pressure on his knees. He was told not to knee by the surgeon. He walks much quicker than I do, and always has. How do two people who want to be together at our age do so without making things so clinical. I have a disc problem that may interfere with reversing positions. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO MAY HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEMS. Must there be difficult relations after BKR? Thanks
julie

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Aug 8, 2010
Latest comment I wrote last night, and found your 12 comments including mine this a.m.

Are their any post TKR people out there (Men) in particular, who have had success with continuing to have a sexual relationship with their wives, without pain. After 2 1/2 years, my husband has taken to using liquid week killer in the garden, but toes pull some also. He made three drawers to fill in a space after adding a dishwasher to our kitchen that he did himself about 8 years ago. He laid on his back doing the work in the kitchen, and found his own way to get up by rolling over to his stomach and having his hands and feet ont he floor, and bringing them closer together, making his body in a "V" shape, until he grabbed onto a chair, but he made three small drawers. He has no pain. Is there anyone who would care to share a success story of returning to a somewhat normal sex-life with their wives without direct pressure on their knees. There are more important things as all of us know, but since I found this site, wondered if perhaps someone would share a story, about how they got around the situation without direct kneeling which takes away from what we were used to. We also know that it can not be the same, but it has been uncomfortable to a degree for him, and also he is afraid. Two and a half years post-up having had bilateral pulmonary embolisms, and extremely fortunate. He was told not to kneel again. He is able to kneedl on a kitchen chairpad if he has too, but our private life is a bit different. There must be others who share these feelings. When stopping therapy, he was 125 both knees. He walks in a gym around a track 3 days a week at a good pace. Would be interested to know if someone shares a similar problem, as we know we are not alone. Thank you.
Frank

Traverse City, MI

#14 Sep 15, 2012
Julie,
I understand your problems, especially with your incapability of being on top. My wife has the same problem & my recent TKR prevents me from kneeling. We found that I can stand at the side of the bed & support her legs under her knees & pull her hips off the edge of the bed for close proximity.The only slight inconvenience is for her to get back on the bed after coitus.
The position is slightly different but is not a second best arrangement.
Frank
dennis

Fort Collins, CO

#15 Mar 10, 2013
Frank wrote:
Julie,
I understand your problems, especially with your incapability of being on top. My wife has the same problem & my recent TKR prevents me from kneeling. We found that I can stand at the side of the bed & support her legs under her knees & pull her hips off the edge of the bed for close proximity.The only slight inconvenience is for her to get back on the bed after coitus.
The position is slightly different but is not a second best arrangement.
Frank
I had a full knee replacement 11 months ago and by 3 months i was having no problem with sex and being on top. I also just skied everyday for two months in Utah. I did just get down and crawl around and clean tile and hardwood floors for a half hour and NOW my knee is sore. I also bike up a 1000' of elevation daily on my 6 mile bike ride. I live on the side of a mountain. No problem with that either.
Ronald

Franklin, TN

#16 Mar 29, 2013
Had both knees replaced in November of 2008 at age 65 with great results, no pain whatsoever, I now have straight legs...46.3 yrs on cement floors as an electrician took its toll...At this juncture I do not kneel with the advice of my therapist and have noticed some discomfort even in brief kneeling on carpet...My concern was as many have shared, damage of the joint so if I must get on the floor, I lay on my side...I'm up and down steep hills and use climbing tree stands while I hunt...all in all, I've been blessed with a speedy recovery and words in truth would not convey the benefit...If two knees are to be replaced, I'd strongly suggest both at the same time...I'd love to be able to run and jump but before my knee replacements, any jumping or running was extremely painful...My knees were replaced late Nov of 2008 and I was (without pain and safely) up in a tree in my stand the first week of Jan 2009...I would also add that I was in great shape before my surgery and during the physical therapy my only fault was doing too much...ATTITUDE is a major player with any surgery and subsequent therapy...be blessed...His love and prayers...
Diane K age 66yrs

Clearfield, PA

#17 Mar 29, 2013
I had TKR on both knees Sept 18, 2012. Just a little over 6 months ago. I was in a great deal of pain for awhile but that was because I wouldn't take any heavy pain killers....I took 800mgs of Motrin. I went to Health South Rehab here in Altoona, Pa. I worked very hard in PT and reached 132 degrees range of motion in both knees. I still hurt if I get on the floor and try to get up. The best way I can do that is get on my stomach come up butt first like a baby starts to come to a standing position when learning to walk. My Dr William Tyndal said it is ok to kneel but not to go crawling around. My biggest problem is getting out of my very old and very low bathtub. It must be 100 yrs old and when sitting in it I am floor level. I just turned 66 this month and care for my 93 yr old Mom so I want to stay in as good of condition as I can. I have a treadmill that I use while listening to music and I walk around inside stores which makes my knees feel good. It is only when I sit for a long period then get up that I am stiff and it hurts some. The Dr said give my knees a good year or year and a half to heal completely. It is such a relief to walk without fearing my knees will give out and I'll fall which happened several times during the 2 years I put off getting the operations. I am happy so far with the results. One question ... I had a lot of blood that settled in my calves after the surgery and they since look sort of bruised. Has anyone else had this and will it go away? The Dr isn't worried but it makes me uneasy. God Bless all of you NEW KNEE OWNERS and future new knee owners !
Rich

Medford, NY

#18 Feb 22, 2014
Surprisingly, sex was OK 3 weeks after BTKR. I am 66 and had my surgery in January of 2914 so i am a newbie. Sex was little awkward but OK with me on top. Now at 6 weeks it is much more comfortable so I'm glad this worked out. I'll be very sad if I can't ever kneel without the fear of damaging the implant. I'll ask my Doctor About kneeling at my 7 week appointment next week. I guess the jury is out on kneeling. My implant is called the Journey knee. It is supposed to allow for a very natural movement. I hope this includes kneeling. I really appreciate the valuable information in these posts.
June L

United States

#19 Feb 22, 2014
I had BTKR June 2013. It will be 9 months since surgery and I feel wonderful!i have no problems kneeling. It feels a bit strange, but no pain. I am able to do anything now.
Barb

Altamonte Springs, FL

#20 Mar 23, 2014
Hi, I'm exactly one year out of BTKR. 51 yr old female. Genetic arthritic knees,yuck. I did rehab religiously and back to work full time standing job at 12 weeks. My Dr advised me to never kneel on a hard surface. I have a 4 in pad I keep at work and home for this.(The square balance pad we used for therapy).
I have no problem kneeling for sexual positions on a bed. LOVE my new knees and my pain free life. Newbies good luck!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Partial Knee Replacement Fri Cheryld354 2
Burning sensation after TKR (Dec '09) Thu Barb 34
partial knee replacement (Aug '09) Thu John F 111
How Long Before Walking Long Distance (Apr '09) May 25 Aenewknees 32
Euflexxa or Synvisc (Hyaluronic( injections for... (Jan '10) May 21 Do what 103
pain after partial knee replacement (Aug '10) May 20 Deb 233
Cryotherapy after tkr May 17 Aenewknees 1
More from around the web